Page Scrawler

Currently Reading (non-GA)

Floating Twigs, by Charles Tabb

After Jack Turner finds a starving dog while fishing with friends, he talks his alcoholic parents into letting him keep the dog he names Bones, provided Jack can earn the money to care for him. In the process of finding work, Jack meets Hank Pittman, a middle-aged man who lives in a dilapidated school bus at the harbor. A friendship ensues, and Hank becomes the caring father Jack lacks at home despite the fact Hank is hiding his own secrets as he tries to escape his past.

When Jack meets Mrs. Mary Jane Dawson, he starts working as her gardener, but trouble brews in the form of gossip and lies that threaten Jack's relationships with Hank and Mrs. Dawson, as well as Bones's life. After initially ignoring the gossip, Jack finds he must face the lies and discovers love carries with it a responsibility to others. When Hank is accused of a crime he didn't commit, Jack must find a way to convince a jury of the truth, a difficult task when even his own parents refuse to believe him.

EVrlbBnU4AA2rmg?format=jpg

By the author:

This is a story about my fourteenth year of life as a gay kid at an all-boys rugby-mad Catholic school in regional Queensland. It was a year in which I started to discover who I was, and deeply hated what was revealed. It was a year in which I had my first crush and first devastating heartbreak. It was a year of torment, bullying and betrayal – not just at the hands of my peers, but by adults who were meant to protect me.

And it was a year that almost ended tragically.

Published in March this year.

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, Marty said:

Published in March this year.

Sounds great, thanks Marty. I'm definitely adding this to my birthday wishlist.  :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Page Scrawler said:

Sounds great, thanks Marty. I'm definitely adding this to my birthday wishlist.  :D 

I've just signed up to a free month's trial of Audible and downloaded the audio version of the book as my One Book Free introductory offer. Read by the author.  Once I've listened to it, I'll likely then cancel my subscription, then look for a copy of the book itself (hopefully the price will drop soon).

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Arlo Finch in the Valley of Fire, by John August

The first book was good. The second one was decent, but the final book in the trilogy ended with a fizzle. <_<

Edited by Page Scrawler

I'm almost finished a re-read of the Modesty Blaise series by Peter O'Donnell. - wonderfully addictive action thrillers by an author I class as a master storyteller.

Recently I recommended to a friend a book by Alan Dean Foster. It's called Into the Out Of.

It starts off creepy. It ends fantastically. If you like horror done in a way where the monsters are examples of true, unrepentant evil, then this is your book.

I've read it three times over the years, and each time, it makes me take second glances a those small, dark places lurking about the yard and house.

• Love 1
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Gray said:

Recently I recommended to a friend a book by Alan Dean Foster. It's called Into the Out Of.

It starts off creepy. It ends fantastically. If you like horror done in a way where the monsters are examples of true, unrepentant evil, then this is your book.

I've read it three times over the years, and each time, it makes me take second glances a those small, dark places lurking about the yard and house.

Hmm! I don't know this one and after your description I'll definitely look out for it.

I've read stacks of A D Foster, with my favorites being Pip and Flinx series and the Damned, and pretty much enjoy them all.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Palantir said:

Hmm! I don't know this one and after your description I'll definitely look out for it.

I've read stacks of A D Foster, with my favorites being Pip and Flinx series and the Damned, and pretty much enjoy them all.

It's just so well done. Foster always crafts a great read, but Into the Out Of is something else. I hope you find and enjoy it!

• Like 1

The Hobbit

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Wesley8890
      Recently i came across a story on a different site and liked it so i started reading more from the author. The site on which i was reading was a free site that operates on donations. When i reached a certain part in a story, it asked to go to the authors site for a special chapter. I did so. When i wanted to read the special chapter however i found out you had to be a member of the site. I went ok lets see if they offer free membership, turns out they dont. So i figured the special chapters probably has no bearing on the story. However as i started to read the next chapter it referenced a key event that happened in the special chapter. At this point, as a reader, i became a bit angry as if youre going to tease an special chapter you should tell us if it has any influence on the story. I felt cheated because it involved the engagement of two major characters and the next chapter its like oh yeah they got engaged. They also had a crossover between stories and would just say after so and so happened. They would make these allusions to events in the first chapter in each story involved after the special/cross -over happened. My question is as an author do you feel that it is right to do that to a reader just for the sake of money? And to readers how would you have reacted?
    • By cdot27
      Hey all I just rediscovered GA after years and years away. I used to spend countless hours here in late high school and college.
      I loved sci-fi stories by the likes of dkstories and Christopher Lydon - especially Mists of Fate/Shapers Chronicles and The Falcon Banner (thought I’ve read all of them).
      Any recommendations for new writers here who are carrying that torch?
      Also does anybody know what ever happened to Dan and Christopher?
    • By Cia
      I read a writing tip today that seems sort of obvious... "Try to leave out the part readers tend to skip" (Elmore Leonard). But what part is that? It had to vary, but there's probably an overall consensus about the types of scenes or story elements that readers gloss over, skip past, or just stop reading. So share your thoughts to help GA authors improve our craft! 
    • By FormerMember4
      The Author/Reader relationship is important. Symbiotic in many ways. There’s no content for readers without authors. There’s no feedback and audience for authors without readers. We all know it’s a balancing act.
      On GA stories I love to see engagement. On characters, plot and anything in between. You sometimes see things you missed. There can be a downside... The dreaded Spoiler! Often just a lucky guess.
      As a writer, Does it frustrate you when a reader foresees plot course? Do you feel the need to rewrite? Are you pleased to see the guessing?
      As a reader, Do you guess a possible future for story? Do you only comment up to current chapter??
      I have seen some good guesses recently. It got me thinking! *no wisecracks from peanut gallery*
    • By Sam Wyer
      I’m experiencing a whole new type of excitement from my writing, which I wasn’t at all expecting.  When I first post a story, it’s very gratifying to see it being read, to see the ‘likes’ being clicked, and engaging with the comments from readers.  As has been covered elsewhere, I’m sure that this is one of the things that contribute to why I write and post my stories online.  But then the story ends, and the comments trail off, and the general sense of my story being a ‘live’ thing seems to shift rapidly towards it just being ‘a thing’.  In short - the buzz is quite short term.  I still see myself as being very much new here, and I only have a couple of stories posted, but the experience has been similar in both cases.

Whilst it being a seemingly predictable outcome, I’m aware that I miss the sense of people engaging with my work.  And I can deal with that, maybe it even prompts me to continue writing new stories, who knows.  But now, something new is happening.  For the first time I’m experiencing people finding my ‘old’ story (yes I know, it’s hardly old by any standards as I’ve only been here a few months), and enjoying it, and even making contact with me about it.  For me it feels like re-discovery, but of course for them it’s the first time, so it’s actually a discovery, and I’m realising that there’s an enduring quality to this writing thing.  It’s pretty awesome isn’t it?

Anyway, that’s all, no deep and meaningful questions posed, I just wanted to share how much I’m enjoying this  

Have a great day.

Sam

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..