Where Do You Fall on the Grammar-Stickler Scale?

Eight for me which is not a surprise. More than once I've skipped looking at stories on GA because of bad grammar in the description. If the author can't bother to ensure 5 likes are clean, what does that say for the rest of their story? However, I think I follow Cia's approach; I differentiate between dialogue and narration. I'm pretty sure I've used all the items in the quiz wrongly when writing dialogue. A reader once pointed out I often end sentences with a preposition. I showed him each instance he mentioned was in dialogue and that's how real people speak.

As I've gained experience, there are a few rules I find silly and delight in flaunting. But I do try to do so consistently. It's MY style, not a mistake.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

A reader once pointed out I often end sentences with a preposition.

Isn’t that the rule they took from Latin and have incorrectly applied to English? And since that’s how real people speak, the rule shouldn’t apply anyway. We are all fools for trying to twist how we speak to fit nonsensical rules. There’s a difference between formal English and tortured English.

Now aren’t you glad I’m not an author?  ;–)

1 minute ago, droughtquake said:

Isn’t that the rule they took from Latin and have incorrectly applied to English? And since that’s how real people speak, the rule shouldn’t apply anyway. We are all fools for trying to twist how we speak to fit nonsensical rules. There’s a difference between formal English and tortured English.

Now aren’t you glad I’m not an author?  ;–)

Idiots follow rules without ever questioning them. I refuse to be any more of an idiot than I already am. :P

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
56 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Idiots follow rules without ever questioning them. I refuse to be any more of an idiot than I already am. :P

Rules are really just guidelines in disguise.  i got an 8 ... because i know the rules.. but i don't follow them strictly in my speech or writing. Use the rules and tools to enhance your style.. write well and write bravely.  Write on!

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I'm more flexible according to the test.  Not quite in the 1-4 category but firmly in the middle one.  I could have easily scored a 10 but as I've gotten older and since I retired, I've cultivated a more laid back approach to most things.  Grammar definitely included.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Eight for me which is not a surprise. More than once I've skipped looking at stories on GA because of bad grammar in the description. If the author can't bother to ensure 5 likes are clean, what does that say for the rest of their story? However, I think I follow Cia's approach; I differentiate between dialogue and narration. I'm pretty sure I've used all the items in the quiz wrongly when writing dialogue. A reader once pointed out I often end sentences with a preposition. I showed him each instance he mentioned was in dialogue and that's how real people speak.

As I've gained experience, there are a few rules I find silly and delight in flaunting. But I do try to do so consistently. It's MY style, not a mistake.

I've had someone complain recently about my dialogue having too many 'mistakes'. I'm writing about teenagers. They don't talk correctly. Hell, grown-ass human beings don't talk correctly most of the time. I pride myself on writing dialogue that flows naturally. I think it's my greatest strength as a writer. Not about to change that because someone thinks I should be more traditional or whatever.

2 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

Rules are really just guidelines in disguise.  i got an 8 ... because i know the rules.. but i don't follow them strictly in my speech or writing. Use the rules and tools to enhance your style.. write well and write bravely.  Write on!

Agreed. This applies to all forms of art. Learn the rules first, learn to apply them, and then break them to your heart's content. It's easy to tell the difference between someone who doesn't know the rules, and someone who breaks them on purpose for artistic reasons. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Lol I frequently start comments on poor grammar when editing with "I know you will not change this, but..."  and/or. "Dont change this but correct would be..."

I scored a 10, but also intentionally "break the rules".

Edited by Kitt
Damn auto incorrect strikes again!
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, Kitt said:

Lol I frequently start comments on poor grammar when editing with "I know you will not change this, but..."  and/or. "Dont change this bit correct would be..."

I scored a 10, but also intentionally "break the rules".

I argue with my editor over comma use. I'm way too eager with commas, especially in dialogue. Except where I'm not. lol!

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I argue with my editor over comma use. I'm way too eager with commas, especially in dialogue. Except where I'm not. lol!

There are a lot of authors who use way too many commas. Most of whom speak English as their first, or often their only, language. I sometimes get the feeling they start off with a comma after each word and then take out ¾ of them – if we’re lucky!  ;–)

6 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

There are a lot of authors who use way too many commas. Most of whom speak English as their first, or often their only, language. I sometimes get the feeling they start off with a comma after each word and then take out ¾ of them – if we’re lucky!  ;–)

I take a, "better safe than sorry," approach to my commas, thank you very much. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I have a bit of a love affair with them. I use them a lot in dialogue to add some rhythm. My editor asks me to take out most of them, I end up removing about half at his request. I make good arguments for why I should keep the rest. Again, adds rhythm. Ellipses and em-dashes don't always get the job done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 12/31/2018 at 11:54 PM, Arpeggio said:

Wet noodle here. 

800px-CN_Railway_logo.svg.png

That’s what they call the Canadian National Railway logo!  ;–)

Hey, don’t get mad at me! That’s really what model railroaders call that logo. It’s an easy to remember nickname that distinguishes the logo from any others.

CSX had a paint scheme called Bright Future, when they changed to blue to a darker shade, it became Dark Future! Probably the most famous scheme was Santa Fe’s Warbonnet with its red stripes over a silver base – variations included Blue Bonnet and Yellow Bonnet. Southern Pacific used a fairly standard serifed font for their name until Rio Grande bought them and adopted the better-known Southern Pacific name – they changed SP's font to one inspired by Rio Grande’s ‘Speed Lettering.’

Model Railroaders are mostly a bunch of old, right-wing men. They aren’t terribly creative. But lot of them love puns.

Edited by Former Member

Surprisingly, I got a ten, but I treated it as a test, and I’m not sure if this was the purpose. It’s not how I would always write or speak. If this were the case, I would be a seven. Also, I guessed one of the questions and one was just common sense. How can anything be more than perfect?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Surprisingly, I got a ten, but I treated it as a test, and I’m not sure if this was the purpose. It’s not how I would always write or speak. If this were the case, I would be a seven. Also, I guessed one of the questions and one was just common sense. How can anything be more than perfect?

Well that helps explain why your stories are easier to read than many others I follow where there are many more grammatical errors.  ;–)