Readers, why do you read a story but not Comment?

While viewing the Newest Stories page, I noticed that there are a couple stories where many people have viewed the story, but absolutely no one has Commented. If I read a story, I try to find something to Comment on. I will come up with wild tangents or crazy pairings to keep myself entertained if no one else is saying anything interesting.

If there are hundreds of view, why can’t the readers say something, anything, to the author! Are they merely satisfied with the story? Why are they continuing to read new chapters?

I admit I haven’t read the stories that fit this description so I don’t know what the quality of writing is, but I’ve read other stories by one of the authors in the past and quality wasn’t a issue. I’m not trying to embarrass any authors, so I’m not mentioning names. I’m just curious about what I see as an odd phenomenon.

I’m guessing that once a pattern has been set, no one wants to be the first to break the ice. I know that some of the stories I read get several pages of Comments for each chapter. Others of a similar high quality only get a dozen or fewer per chapter. I know that the length of the chapter/story and the sheer number of readers make a huge difference, but some stories generate more speculation about future developments than others.

Does anybody have any insights to share?

I’m sorry you had that experience. Most authors I’ve talked to have said they get much more interaction here on GA than sites like Nifty. I know that when I used to visit Nifty, I’d try to email authors when I enjoyed a story. I also tried to offer constructive criticism, but was ignored. I find that authors here are more responsive to my Comments and PMs.

I don’t have an answer for you. I am puzzled by the appearance of several stories with multiple hundreds of views, but no Comments. Since I am on a limited income, I figure the only way I can ‘pay’ for what I read is by giving feedback to the authors who are providing free entertainment to me. My job is to Comment on what I read.  ;–)

18 minutes ago, Talo Segura said:

On the second posting I asked readers to follow and comment.

You might try asking what your readers think will happen next. Try to turn it into a conversation. One author I follow used to ask questions designed to provoke a response.  ;–)

I’m glad I’m a reader, not a writer. If no one Reacts to my Comments, I might wonder why, but not really worry about it. It doesn’t affect my future decisions to Comment.  ;–)

If I were a writer, I’m sure I’d be just as polarizing as I am in the Forums.  ;–)

3 minutes ago, Marty said:

The fact that I can actually see the number of times a piece of work has been read can be reward enough in itself

One thing that distorts the views statistic is that chapters get significantly more views when we check to see each new Comments or Reactions to our Comments.

4 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

and if you only come here to deposit your story

Interesting choice of words! If that were my choice, it would be because I was being very sarcastic and catty. But Canadians are nice, not like rude Americans. Have we corrupted one?  ;–)

28 minutes ago, Marty said:

The fact that I can actually see the number of times a piece of work has been read can be reward enough in itself

18 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

One thing that distorts the views statistic is that chapters get significantly more views when we check to see each new Comments or Reactions to our Comments.

I suppose that's true enough. I suppose that the site could be set up to prevent the read count going up when authors read their own stuff.

But, then again, I suppose if they really wanted to artificially boost their read count they could just log out and read as an anonymous user...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1