Readers, why do you read a story but not Comment?

1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

in part  -  but maybe it is me.    maybe it's who and what i am, but my thinking is, if you want respect you have to show it to others first.  especially if you are new on a site.  

When I was homeless, I encountered way too many people demanding respect while not offering it first (or ever at all)! People hear the slogan, but don’t understand the context. I tried to be very respectful, especially when people were giving me something free (like a meal). I still don’t understand how people can complain when they aren’t paying for something.

2 minutes ago, Marty said:

I suppose that's true enough. I suppose that the site could be set up to prevent the read count going up when authors read their own stuff.

But, then again, I suppose if they really wanted to artificially boost their read count they could just log out and read as an anonymous user...

Why bother? Just reload the page several times. Much easier with the same effect on the statistics.  ;–)

Just now, Marty said:

I couldn't be bothered but, as my grandfather used to say "There's nowt so queer as folk."

(Actually he would usually continue that with "I sometimes think there's only two sane people in the world. Me and thee." Then he would give me a careful look and finish with "And sometimes I'm not even sure about thee!😂)

hehe my maternal grandparents were English.. grandmother from Leeds and grandfather from Leicester.  

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

We've had changes at work recently and there is all this talk about how to manipulate the system to get a better customer satisfaction rating ... i just said, too much effort to cheat, it takes too long.  My Csat is 94 to 98% by me just doing my job properly.

When I worked at Target, I used to get rated on how quickly I completed transactions at the check out line. At first it was difficult to get an acceptable score, but then I discovered a few tricks – getting things organized before starting the transaction made a big difference. And I discovered how to pause the transaction (I can’t remember the term used). I never worried about my score after that!  ;–)

5 minutes ago, Marty said:

I couldn't be bothered but, as my grandfather used to say "There's nowt so queer as folk."

(Actually he would usually continue that with "I sometimes think there's only two sane people in the world. Me and thee." Then he would give me a careful look and finish with "And sometimes I'm not even sure about thee!😂)

Shouldn’t the @Mancunian be the one saying that? I’d read that the TV shows were named after a Northern saying – and the original, UK version is set in Manchester!  ;–)

13 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Shouldn’t the @Mancunian be the one saying that? I’d read that the TV shows were named after a Northern saying – and the original, UK version is set in Manchester!  ;–)

You could have a point there, lol, it's a great city and I do enjoy going to Canal Street, where some of it was filmed, it's good atmosphere. 😁

Edited by Mancunian
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

hehe my maternal grandparents were English.. grandmother from Leeds and grandfather from Leicester.  

Yea, as you probably guessed, that was my English (maternal) grandfather. I never knew my paternal (Irish) grandparents. My father's mother died when he was a baby, and his father before I was born.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
1 hour ago, Marty said:

56 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I was actually born in Stockport - now part of Greater Manchester. 

43 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

You could have a point there, lol, it's a great city and I do enjoy going to Canal Street, where some of it was filmed, it's good atmosphere. 😁

Before I moved to Ireland I would often park my car when shopping in Manchester in a run down area near the old canal, and then afterwards take a stroll along the deserted canal. I used to think of it as my own wee oasis next to the hustle and bustle of the city. I might occasionally have come across a lone fisherman, otherwise it was just a spot where I would unwind and lose myself in my own thoughts for half an hour or so before heading back to the hurly-burly of city life. I was actually quite sad when I revisited it on holiday around the time they were redeveloping it and saw all the frantic activity taking place...

Edited by Marty
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Marty said:

I was actually born in Stockport - now part of Greater Manchester. 

Before I moved to Ireland I would often park my car when shopping in Manchester in a deserted area near the old canal, and afterwards take a stroll along the deserted canal. I used to think of it as my own wee oasis next to the hustle and bustle of the city. I might occasionally have come across a lone fisherman, otherwise it was just a spot where I would unwind and lose myself in my own thoughts for half an hour or so before heading back to the hurly-burly of city life. I was actually quite sad when I revisited it on holiday around the time they were redeveloping it and saw all the frantic activity taking place...

Unfortunately the canal walks have deteriorated but the overall atmosphere in the bars is still good, especially in the summer where you can have a drink sitting next to the canal enjoying a good atmosphere in good company meeting and making new friends. It's something I've enjoyed in the past with friends and family and still do, sometimes I go on my own just to bask in memories, although my drink is always non-alcoholic for medical reasons.

Edited by Mancunian
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Marty said:

Before I moved to Ireland

An e-friend of mine (who I met on a different site) was born in east Africa, but his family moved back to the UK when the country they were living in achieved independence. He has travelled all over the world (apparently on a UK passport) including Mexico, US, Australia, and even Mongolia. But because of Brexit, he recently discovered that he’s officially an Irish citizen!  ;–)

4 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

An e-friend of mine (who I met on a different site) was born in east Africa, but his family moved back to the UK when the country they were living in achieved independence. He has travelled all over the world (apparently on a UK passport) including Mexico, US, Australia, and even Mongolia. But because of Brexit, he recently discovered that he’s officially an Irish citizen!  ;–)

That, sadly, is often the case. And it's not just a recent thing, the case of the famous actor and comedian (and British Army war veteran) Spike Milligan maybe being a good example. 

I've a nephew in England who has taken out an Irish passport as a result Brexit. He often works in Europe, and is concerned that he may lose the right to work there after Brexit. He was able to use the grandparent rule to get Irish citizenship.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Myr said:

What do you mean?  Comments have not been removed from the system.  The built-in emoticons have not been touched.  Do you have an example of an "empty" comment from you where the emoticon has disappeared?

This is not acceptable behavior and when it occurs and the staff is alerted, it gets addressed.

I began noticing the missing emogies around the time of the sight upgrade.  The slot stating I had commented was still there, but the 👍or what ever I had left was gone and the box blank. I tried to go back and replace them, but I simply did not have time to do that and keep up with reading and editing.

This particular author bugged out shortly there after and has not been active in the longest time. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On another site (non-Gay), I got so upset about something someone posted on their Forum that I had to register there just so I could refute the statement. I’m sure that’s no surprise to @Carlos Hazday! I was active there until the site shut down.  ;–)

Here on GA, it was kind of the opposite. There was a story I liked so much that I had to Comment. So I was forced to Register.  ;–)

2 hours ago, droughtquake said:

On another site (non-Gay), I got so upset about something someone posted on their Forum that I had to register there just so I could refute the statement. I’m sure that’s no surprise to @Carlos Hazday! I was active there until the site shut down.  ;–)

Here on GA, it was kind of the opposite. There was a story I liked so much that I had to Comment. So I was forced to Register.  ;–)

Hah! That's how I ended up on Topix back in the day. Can't remember what it was, but someone made such a stupid comment I just had to reply. Met a bunch of cool people on there, too, but quit posting eventually. :P /off topic

• Like 2
  • Haha 2