Losing Interesting While Writing

My advice, especially if you're just starting out with new stories and the writing process, is to just power through your planning stages first. I usually have everything that I want to happen in my story planned out in advance, from beginning to end. Now, does this mean every last detail? No. I come up with new ideas all the time, and I write according to what my current mood, inspiration, and characters, are telling me. So your blueprint doesn't have to be set in stone when you plan it out. But it helps to have a few key moments or major events that you think are amazing in the back of your mind when you're writing. Because there's an incentive to get there. Like, "Wow...imagine what readers are going to say or feel when I get to THIS part of the story!" It encourages you to reach the next big moment, even if you change or elaborate or take liberties along the way. I feel like your future ideas compel you to gain a certain sense of momentum, and it keeps your interest by finding the best way to get to the next big moment. 

Now, I will definitely agree that reader interaction and comments DO provide validation and perspective when you're writing. I, actually, really feed off of that. The more positive feedback I get, the faster I write. It recharges my batteries and gives me more creative energy than you can believe. I understand that it takes forever to write new chapters, and it can be frustrating for some. But a few comments and a couple of hits on a 'like' button can really fire me up and let me know that people are reading. And having a somewhat visible audience can be the best inspiration in the world sometimes. It all depends on how you work and what you're looking to get out of it. 

Some people just write for themselves, and some people write to entertain an audience. Then there are folks who fall somewhere in between. I'd like to think I'm in that gray area in between. But that's just me.

That being said...I can't say that I've ever lost interest in a story that I've started. Even if it takes me FOREVER to add to it...the end of the story and a bunch of major events that I wanted to have happen on the way to its conclusion are still swimming around in the back of my mind. At all times. Every story that I've ever started has an ending in mind, and I am constantly working towards reaching that end. No matter how long it takes. So, take a look at your stories, read them from the beginning, rewrite or re-edit them if you need to, and take a few notes to figure out where you want to go with it. Once you have a goal and a path to follow, you might find yourself with a renewed sense of purpose in tackling it again.

And don't be afraid to let some folks read a chapter or two as you go along. K? The reward of positive feedback or constructive criticism is important. It boosts writer confidence and gives you something to work towards. Take your time and do it your way. This is your chance to wear your heart on your sleeve on bleed on the screen. Plan it out, do it right, and then let people see what you've got.

Writing isn't easy. I don't think it should be. So be proud to put your whole heart into it. K?

• Like 5

I definitely have a lot of flexibility while I'm writing, and I leave a lot of room for spontaneous inspiration or extra characters, and the end product usually ends up being very different from how I initially imagined it. But...there are still major events, plot twists, and a definitive ending, that I keep in mind the whole time. That's a part of my process, because I like to leave little breadcrumbs along the way and build up to something satisfying by the time the story is over. But, yeah...I think having those big moments in mind gives a writer something to strive for. :P 

• Like 3

I know this feeling very well... Of going into a rut and not managing to write much. I do so a lot because I struggle with mental illness and when I'm depressed I struggle with writing at all. This is exactly why I have vowed never again to post a story until it is complete. Unfortunately I still have one I started posting before it was done and it's still sitting there. Not much I can do about that other than try to finish it. I know where it's going, I have it all planned out, I just have to write.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Just curious; do you have an outline, or do you just write a chapter, and focus everything on the chapter, and don't worry what happens next? Speaking only for myself, I am loose with outlines, but I generally have a  good idea of where I'm going.  And most of the significant bits are in place before I'd consider posting the first chapter.

That said, there are many days I'm not inspired, or a story seems less interesting to me. Sometimes I put a story aside to work on something else. But eventually, you just have to power through it. Perhaps you wrote two sections, and love them, but you have no enthusiasm to write the transitional scene. That's when you have to force yourself to work on it. Maybe that means spending half an hour doing something to the story—even if it's just editing the parts that aren't finished—so you keep working on it.

I'm not saying chain yourself to the computer, but set yourself a goal of either writing a few hundred words or just spending a half-hour every other day on the story. With luck, that will get you through those periods when the inspiration seems to elude you.

There are parts of writing I love, but I find with every project there will be parts you just have to slog through. If you don't want to do that (and if you're doing it just for fun, why suffer?) then maybe you should change what you write to better match what you enjoy doing.

• Like 5
On 8/24/2019 at 1:56 PM, GabrielCaldwell said:

Just curious; do you have an outline, or do you just write a chapter, and focus everything on the chapter, and don't worry what happens next? Speaking only for myself, I am loose with outlines, but I generally have a  good idea of where I'm going.  And most of the significant bits are in place before I'd consider posting the first chapter.

I have two types of bullet point outlines. One for the story as a whole, what I want to tell in the overall arc. And then each chapter has it's own bullet point outline of what I want to accomplish in the chapter, and brief notes. Once I have those, I then do one chapter at a time, making sure each new on builds on the one before. Because it's bullet points, there isn't much to loose interest in, and it lets me free form the meat and potatoes of the chapter.

• Like 2