A Literary Musical???

Hi, everyone! The fall semester is quickly approaching for me, and one class that I'm really looking forward to taking again is Fiction Workshop. Because of this, I have been thinking about what kind of short fiction I'll be writing for the class, specifically experimental short fiction. I've been thinking about writing something that hasn't been done before, something that doesn't even have a term to label it. And I thought I might write a story that involves the characters singing to each other like in a musical but in a literary format rather than a screenplay. I don't know how I'll accomplish this, if it can even be accomplished. I know there are major limitations to this experiment, like I can't have more two characters singing in a scene if I want to avoid using speech tags, and I can't describe what the characters are doing too much if I want the lyric-like dialogue to keep flowing. At best, I can write the dialogue similar to a traditional poem with an ABAB rhyme scheme and replace the quotation marks with musical notes since I want to differentiate when the characters are singing and when they're not. I also think that maybe writing in the first person can help with the flow versus if I wrote in the third-person point-of-view. I don't know, what do you all think about this experiment of mine? I'd really like to hear your opinions on this. And if it doesn't work out, then I'll simply think of something else. I was watching old Disney princess movies again like Mulan and that's why I want to emulate that style into a short story.