ISO: Editor - History Sci Fi - 37K words

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for someone to help me polish the finished translation of my novel. It is set in the future and past both because it is about a boy traveling back in time. Of course, things don't go as planned and he ends up somewhere he'd never expected.

This story was published some years ago, originally in German. I, the author, have put in quite a few hours over the course of this year to translate it into English. With English not being my mother-tongue, I would like an editor to check my novel for 'things you just wouldn't phrase that way'. For instance regarding idioms, figures of speech, etc.

I'd like to start publishing chapter-by-chapter in the upcoming weeks. Preferably, you'd use the MS Word track changes function but if you don't have Word we can do Google Docs or something else.

So if you're a native English speaker (preferable AE cause that's what I tried to do, but it's fine regardless) hit me up!

David

Here is a short excerpt.

I was welcomed by nausea as I regained consciousness. Wild dreams had plagued me, but I hardly remembered anything.

What had happened? Oh yeah, I materialized in an unknown desert far from the planned location and passed out hiking through blazing heat.

The dominant feeling besides sickness was thirst. My mouth felt like a dusty dune. I could almost taste the sand. In fact, I could definitely taste sand, given that my mouth harbored a good amount of its grains. I tried to spit them out, but there was no saliva left.

Opening my eyes was hard work. I tried though and after I finally succeeded, I took in the scenery around me.

I startled. My heart was beating faster, waking me up entirely.

Not only did the scenery change, but I also wasn’t lying on hot desert sand anymore – instead I was strapped to the back of a camel!

This vehicle was swinging back and forth which surely contributed to my sickness.

In front of me, I was able to make out more camels. They were all tied together on a rope, forming a kind of caravan. The predominant element around me was still sand, but I thought I could make out some buildings in the distance.

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, DavidJ said:

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for someone to help me polish the finished translation of my novel. It is set in the future and past both because it is about a boy traveling back in time. Of course, things don't go as planned and he ends up somewhere he'd never expected.

This story was published some years ago, originally in German. I, the author, have put in quite a few hours over the course of this year to translate it into English. With English not being my mother-tongue, I would like an editor to check my novel for 'things you just wouldn't phrase that way'. For instance regarding idioms, figures of speech, etc.

I'd like to start publishing chapter-by-chapter in the upcoming weeks. Preferably, you'd use the MS Word track changes function but if you don't have Word we can do Google Docs or something else.

So if you're a native English speaker (preferable AE cause that's what I tried to do, but it's fine regardless) hit me up!

David

Here is a short excerpt.

Hey, David. I really liked the excerpt, and I wish I could assist, but I'm too busy with a new story. Good luck! Cheers... Gary....