Motivation and Feedback - Authors, Choose Best Answers

Myr

Motivation and Feedback - Authors, Choose Best Answers  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What motivates you to write?

• I write no matter what. It's what I do.
    • I write because I like to and getting feedback motivates me to write more
    • I write and I need feedback to keep me going
    • I can only write if I get feedback constantly
  2. 2. What feedback would you want?

• Love it or hate it, I just want to hear something
    • Obviously, I want to hear people enjoyed it, but constructive criticism makes me strive harder
    • I'm still working on confidence of my writing and I'm only ready for positive reinforcement
    • I'm writing any way and don't care about feedback

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think readers really understand how important it is for writers to hear from them. Most writers, like myself, never receive a penny for what we do. We spend long hours writing, proofreading an

If people just give you a thumbs up—okay, be my guest. But that doesn't tell you if they did that because they like you like that you post at all like the storyline like y

Feedback is fun. It helps me know if the reader’s are understanding what is is happening. 

Posted Images

• Site Administrator
25 minutes ago, Wombat Bill said:

only 10 reactions from over a hundred views. Maybe we need to work on these readers. Many will no doubt be guests but a proportion must be members.

We are about 100 guests to 1 member reading stories.  (Where guest means new person or person not signed into their account).  So, get 10 reactions out of 100 views is pretty good, actually.

27 minutes ago, Wombat Bill said:

Does it count every time a reader opens the chapter page

Yes, with some mild protections and caching going on.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Black Paper said:

The reality is, all authors and artists only want one true thing: we all strive for someone to feel something from something we've created. And the validation that we receive from feedback via comments and/or reactions gives us the validation that someone has received something from something we've created. All stories have pieces of us authors, hidden, inside of them whether it's certain characters, certain scenes, etc. And by having others love those characters and scenes, they are secretly loving us, because, we are in them. If certain people do not like the thumbs up reaction, I simply recommend that the like reaction be removed and be replaced with the love reaction and have the love reaction be the new like reaction just like Instagram and other social media platforms use the heart as the only like reaction icon platform for that very same reason.

Thank you.

Black Paper🌙

I do agree that part of the positive comments and likes are validation of our creations, it's an incredible motivator for writers to hear readers say "I like this scene..." or "I know how it feels..." and so on. Characters and plots are hard to come up with, so any acknowledgement is tremendous. Creation is a difficult process, from the act to communicate your ideas into your chosen medium (stories, poetry, blogs, videos, or stream shows) to editing to final publication for general audiences. In 2021, we have a lot more ways to communicate than we did when GA first started and there's a lot more ways for readers to connect with their favorite authors.

I write based on my interests, but I also have done a lot more beta reading as years have gone by. I think part of the writer experience is the need for someone to bounce ideas off of. I have a non-binary friend, not part of GA, who enjoys Medieval/Magic fantasy stories and I beta read for them. Sometimes having just that little voice from a beta reader helps to show someone cares. Having a fun reader-writer interaction can also help improve their writing morale, plus it gives you as a writer, acting as a beta reader, more thoughts on your own writing process. My writing style changes are in response to my interactions.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I don't know if it's possible to implement it but maybe we could add social media sign up options? Since there are so many guests, maybe it would encourage some more people to create accounts.

Also, would it be possible to make "like" buttons clickable and comment text areas visible for guests? They could click them and be prompted to create an account. I know we're limited by the system here but just throwing ideas.

Edited by Arch Hunter
  • Like 3
6 hours ago, W_L said:

Having a fun reader-writer interaction can also help improve their writing morale, plus it gives you as a writer, acting as a beta reader, more thoughts on your own writing process. My writing style changes are in response to my interactions.

This. I only post stories once they are completed BUT reader feedback has often inspired me or helped me see holes or areas that I could improve on. I’m always tweaking future chapters based on interactions and feedback from readers. They’re awesome beta readers and they don’t even know if. My writing/stories improve because they take the time to comment and give feedback. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I think that it is also important to ask Readers what inspires them to write a comment, or react to something they have read.  Authors, we are creative and very in need of feedback.  Readers, they read and stick along a series or short story depending on how much it captures their attention.  I will confess to reading stories on this site, and others,  going straight through an authors entire catalogue until I find a story they haven't finished.  Then, because I want to know when it will be finished, I ask the author, or write a message, "hey, when will the next chapter be up?"

Authors, I know you have probably experienced this, and it is a very interesting thing because you might never have known this person read you, until they write that question, or felt the need to connect with you until you had not finished a story they really wanted to read.  Otherwise, they finish reading, and wait for your next one and read you, until you stop.

So, the case study here should be with the reader.  What inspires a reader to write a comment?  Why are they gripped by your content enough to want to let you know how it affected them?  Why they 'liked' it?  Why did it entertain them enough to write a comment or hit a button?

So, as a writer who also reads, here is my experience on why comments or likes.  I will say that the times I didn't comment, I might have been reading in transit or between meetings, or even just waiting for someone.  I read and didn't get a chance to write a comment.  When I reach my destination/met my someone or started a meeting, I moved on to my daily tasks, the moment is lost.  When I did like and comment, it was because I had to comment and like, it mattered for me to comment and like.  It often happens right away with no hesitation.  I wonder what everyone's experiences with this is?

• Like 5
  • Site Administrator
11 hours ago, Arch Hunter said:

I don't know if it's possible to implement it but maybe we could add social media sign up options? Since there are so many guests, maybe it would encourage some more people to create accounts.

We used to, but it had little to no use and maintaining the connection is a nightmare, frankly.

11 hours ago, Arch Hunter said:

Also, would it be possible to make "like" buttons clickable and comment text areas visible for guests? They could click them and be prompted to create an account. I know we're limited by the system here but just throwing ideas.

Sorry, no.  The system doesn't function that way and it's not worth it to rewrite the functions.  And it opens it to spam, which is why we don't allow guests to post.  Even with all the protections we have in place, spammers keep getting through.

5 hours ago, lilansui said:

So, the case study here should be with the reader.  What inspires a reader to write a comment?  Why are they gripped by your content enough to want to let you know how it affected them?  Why they 'liked' it?  Why did it entertain them enough to write a comment or hit a button?

We've tried asking in the past.  They don't answer the questions at any higher a rate then they comment or review.  However, I think one of the biggest hurdles is people tend to not log in, even if they have an account.  If they were logged in, it's very easy to hit a reaction, and many do.  But not staying logged in seems to be a big thing with lots of folks.

That said, we will reach out again in the future on this.  This sort of discussion recurs regularly over time, though this has been the best participation to date.

1 hour ago, James Carnarvon said:

My absolute favourite sort of comment, though, doesn't even have to be positive or negative in tone. It's the type of comment - usually only provided when a story is 'in progress' - where the reader tells you how a chapter made them feel and/or reflects on the events or character beats with real insight. As a writer, there's no greater validation of your work, because it shows that you have reached your audience enough to make them really think about the story and its characters.

Yeah, those are a great comment to come across.  Though I heard from @C James, The Cliffhanger, that if you write a cliffhanger and leave them waiting awhile, you can really generate some heat...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
7 hours ago, Myr said:

Though I heard from @C James, The Cliffhanger, that if you write a cliffhanger and leave them waiting awhile, you can really generate some heat...

Ah, so this is the secret sauce? Good to know .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Myr pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator
3 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

I'm going to write no matter what, but reader interaction is a huge motivator too.

It seems a lot of us fall in this barrel.  Thanks for weighing in! :2thumbs:

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Myr said:

We figured out a way to change the "I Read it" to remove the perceived use as a passive-aggressive version of a like.  Hopefully this addresses authors concerns.

I love the new "Check It Out!" reaction! It's adorable, as well as the updates to the other reactions as well. The Like button is awesome, Myr! 

• Love 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..