Beta Reader / Editor Required for a Political Fantasy

I am looking for someone to beta-read and edit a new political fantasy story I plan to post here on GA. Although this is a new genre for me on GA, I have been developing the world (see link to the world map) in which this story takes place (and other stories in this world) for the best part of 20 years.

This is likely to be around 120k in length. I already have 8 out of 21 chapters written, and plan to have 10 finished before I start writing and posting the remainder.

@Timothy M. usually offers to edit my work and I am hoping he is still available for this one, but I would also love to have another set of eyes, perspective, and critique, if someone out there is interested.

Please either respond to this post or send me a private message to Lomax61.

For the summary, please click on the spoiler link below.

Spoiler

If pressed, Brathay Stonearm’s fellow students would describe him as pleasant and harmless.

Which is fine by him, because nobody would guess at his ruthless determination to become the best buildings expert of his generation. Graduating from the Aulderly Institute of Lifework, he has landed the perfect first placement as companion advisor to a revered royal household, a first step that will set him up for life.

Until Counsellor Brokerman offers him a challenge he feels compelled to accept.

Lord Leonmarkh, youngest of the DuMankin siblings, has a reputation of something of a spoiled wastrel. His oldest brother, the new Duke of Khloradich, embarrassed by the antics of his youngest sibling, has had him shipped off to the north-easternmost lookout post in Black Ice Bay, to take on the role of Watchman of the North.

Black Ice Keep is located along the rugged northeast coast of Cordatoga. Every few years a new Watchman is chosen from the noble houses of the realm to provide a first line of defence and alert the empire to any threats from the sea or northern wastelands.

With his considerable knowledge of empire structures, Brathay is to be tasked with assessing the ancient keep and providing advice to Lord Leonmarkh on how to survive the long winter months.

If only the man would grant him an audience.

From the outset, Brathay is frozen out, not only by the weather, but by the lord and his captains. But they underestimate Brathay’s nature and persistence, combined to thaw the house staff, the soldiers, the captains—and finally the lord himself.

And what Brathay finds is a very different Lord Leonmarkh than the one portrayed. Behind the assumed front of swagger is an intelligent and compassionate man, fiercely loyal to his soldiers and family, who is fighting for survival, doing his best to navigate the poisonous politics at the core of the duchy. Assigned a woefully small garrison to defend the keep, he nevertheless trains them relentlessly and commands their respect, forging them for battle readiness. But being at the edge of the world, he does not know where the threat will come from or who he can trust, either back home or from those closest to him.

Unable to hide his affection for Brathay, he refuses to reveal his plight unwilling to put the life of the young graduate in danger. But Brathay’s persistence wears him down and the two form an unlikely but unbreakable bond.

As winter finally lays siege to Black Ice Keep, things come to an explosive conclusion, and the two must stand side by side to defeat an unknown and unmerciful enemy.

Brian

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

I, too, would appreciate Brian having a beta reader as well as me doing line-editing. Especially since political stuff is not my forté, whether in a fantasy setting or not. :lol: 

Thanks Tim.

• Like 1

Well if you don't mind this opinionated stuffed bear as your beta reader, I would humbly offer my services, my liege :)

I read both Sci-Fi and Fantasy politics, so I get the drill mostly, but I would need a run-down of your universe's political rules and landscape.

• Love 1
On 8/12/2021 at 3:00 AM, W_L said:

Well if you don't mind this opinionated stuffed bear as your beta reader, I would humbly offer my services, my liege :)

I read both Sci-Fi and Fantasy politics, so I get the drill mostly, but I would need a run-down of your universe's political rules and landscape.

Hi @W_L,

I’d love to have your beta reading services. I’ll be in touch via DM.

Brian