I have a question for my readers

33 minutes ago, Headstall said:

As far as editing, all good writers need good editors,

Thank you, Gary, for putting into words what I was thinking. There's no way I would be the writer I am now without editors, beta-readers, and generally, people giving friendly, constructive criticism. And yes, writing is a craft which needs work to get better.

It is important, @LittleCherryBlossom26 to find an editor who is on your wavelength. It is a symbiosis which should be central to your writing. Or at least, that's what I think. 😉

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, northie said:

Thank you, Gary, for putting into words what I was thinking. There's no way I would be the writer I am now without editors, beta-readers, and generally, people giving friendly, constructive criticism. And yes, writing is a craft which needs work to get better.

It is important, @LittleCherryBlossom26 to find an editor who is on your wavelength. It is a symbiosis which should be central to your writing. Or at least, that's what I think. 😉

I agree that it is important to find the right editor, and one who is on the same wavelength is a good way to put it. I find we need an editor who care almost as much about the story and the work as we do. I was blessed with one of those in @Timothy M., and like to think I have been that for others. :)  

• Love 5

@Headstall @northie Thank you both so much for your replies :) Well, to be honest, I am not really familiar with the whole editing thing as a novice writer, but I can only agree with what you say. But what if I can't find another editor at all? I was so glad when that person offered to help me and I knew it was too good to be true... Publishing with edits already made would be better so, wouldn't it?

• Like 3
13 hours ago, LittleCherryBlossom26 said:

@Headstall @northie Thank you both so much for your replies :) Well, to be honest, I am not really familiar with the whole editing thing as a novice writer, but I can only agree with what you say. But what if I can't find another editor at all? I was so glad when that person offered to help me and I knew it was too good to be true... Publishing with edits already made would be better so, wouldn't it?

I see you posted a request for an editor. That's being proactive, and I hope it works out for you, but you might have to be patient for a while before an editor comes along who has the time and interest. Since you've asked the question, again, it is my opinion unedited chapters should not be posted. Editors are so helpful to a writer, but they are not too good to be true. They usually enjoy using their skills, so stay positive until one contacts you, and in the meantime, continue writing and working on what you can do now to improve your skills. In my opinion, that would include doing a lot of reading. :)  

As well there is a list of writing resources listed under the Help banner that might help you, and plenty of writing 'rules' and tips online. @Cia is always helpful, so you may want to ask her to point you in other directions. We all want other writers to succeed, especially if they show a strong desire to write well. 

Good luck! Cheers... Gary....

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 5 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 2:27 AM, Headstall said:

I see you posted a request for an editor. That's being proactive, and I hope it works out for you, but you might have to be patient for a while before an editor comes along who has the time and interest. Since you've asked the question, again, it is my opinion unedited chapters should not be posted. Editors are so helpful to a writer, but they are not too good to be true. They usually enjoy using their skills, so stay positive until one contacts you, and in the meantime, continue writing and working on what you can do now to improve your skills. In my opinion, that would include doing a lot of reading. :)  

As well there is a list of writing resources listed under the Help banner that might help you, and plenty of writing 'rules' and tips online. @Cia is always helpful, so you may want to ask her to point you in other directions. We all want other writers to succeed, especially if they show a strong desire to write well. 

Good luck! Cheers... Gary....

Gary and @Timothy M. are a great example of author and editor teams.  Gary often acknowledges Tim's valuable help, and Tim often contributes comments that help readers enjoy Gary's stories even more.  I agree with Gary's advice about resources and posting stories.

I do have one idea where you might look for an editor.  I read as many of the comments about a story as are posted.  There are always new readers just discovering GA.  These people are not always authors, but I can always tell by their posting they have great writing skills.  Some seem to say exactly what I am feeling for the chapter and story.  I know of at least three or four that impress me by their style and compatibility of feeling, thinking and direction to me.  If I was a storyteller looking for an editor, I would definitely approach these people first.  Good luck in finding your perfect editor.  I will add you to my follow lists.  Your courage, resourcefulness and determination to be a good writer portends well to my future reading enjoyment.

• Love 3

I agree with @Headstall and @northie, chapters should be edited before posting. Your readers will be able to enjoy your writing so much more. I am not a native speaker and I would be lost without @Valkyrie's editing.

I'm sure you'll find your perfect editor on this wonderful, supportive site. Just try to be patient and continue writing.

Good luck! Aditus.

Edited by Aditus
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

Thanks for letting me know about Valkyrie's and Parker's important roles.  (I tried to beta and edit for a friend two years ago, but had to give up after three chapters.  I just could not do justice to his great book.  He managed to find an excellent beta and editor who did a magnificent job on his book.)  I appreciate what you are doing.  I read your comments very closely, because they provide both entertainment and enriching ideas to Gary's books.  I am very happy to send you a huge Thank You for all you add to Gary's books.  Also, I will have to check out the other two writers you  mentioned.  I suspect you are a bit choosy about teaming with authors.  There is a good chance I may start following their stories in the future.  Thanks again for all you add to the stories as editor and commentator.

Terry

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, raven1 said:

I suspect you are a bit choosy about teaming with authors.  There is a good chance I may start following their stories in the future.  Thanks again for all you add to the stories as editor and commentator.

No, just lucky with who I know and who have asked me to help. :yes:  And actually the reason I got invoved with most of the authors I edit for, was reading and commenting on their stories, or knowing them beforehand.

And Gary and AC actually did editing for me together with @Kitt  when I was still writing. So it's mutual helping too.

Thanks for the nice words about editing and comments, I do try to leave good comments on stories, as they are one of the inportant ways to 'pay' the authors for their work. I can see you're doing very well yourself in this respect. :thumbup: 

If you're looking for good stories to read, check out the Followed Stories lists on the profles of people who like the stories you're reading now. I think you can see mine here.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Timothy M. said:

No, just lucky with who I know and who have asked me to help. :yes:  And actually the reason I got invoved with most of the authors I edit for, was reading and commenting on their stories, or knowing them beforehand.

And Gary and AC actually did editing for me together with @Kitt  when I was still writing. So it's mutual helping too.

Thanks for the nice words about comments, I do try to leave good comments on stories, as they are one of the inportant ways to 'pay' the authors for their work.. I can see you're doing very well yourself in this respect. :thumbup: 

If you're looking for good stories to read, check out the Followed Stories lists on the profles of people who like the stories you're reading now. I think you can see mine here.

Got it!  I am checking some of those now and you have added ideas for me to check out.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, raven1 said:

Got it!  I am checking some of those now and you have added ideas for me to check out.

Before I forget it, it is great chatting with you.  I have wanted to thank you for a long time.  I seem to be binging on Gary's stories for the last 2 months.😜

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
2 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

But line editing (grammar and consistency) is the easy part, the really hard work is done by people who also beta read, which I think both @Valkyrie and @Parker Owens do. Not to mention those who can do comma edits in English. :o :pinch:  

When I edit, I like to look at the story as a whole, so in addition to grammar, language usage, and punctuation, I also look for consistency, plot holes, and if the story/action makes sense.  I've been lucky enough to form great friendships with some of the authors I edit for, and they return the favor by beta reading my stories.  Since we know each other so well, it works out quite well, since we pick up on things other people might miss.  

I also do proofreading for the Anthology proof team, which is different than editing.  I have to turn off the beta portion of my brain and concentrate only on picking up any spelling, word, or punctuation errors the author's editor may have missed.  

• Like 1
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

When I edit, I like to look at the story as a whole, so in addition to grammar, language usage, and punctuation, I also look for consistency, plot holes, and if the story/action makes sense.  I've been lucky enough to form great friendships with some of the authors I edit for, and they return the favor by beta reading my stories.  Since we know each other so well, it works out quite well, since we pick up on things other people might miss.  

I also do proofreading for the Anthology proof team, which is different than editing.  I have to turn off the beta portion of my brain and concentrate only on picking up any spelling, word, or punctuation errors the author's editor may have missed.  

I am impressed by your ability to do all that.  My problem when I tried to help my friend was I wanted to change the words and sometimes even the story.  I wasn't able to look at the story from an analytical viewpoint with limited goals.  My friend is a good writer and I was too easily involved in the story to be objective.  I admire your will power and professionalism.  Thanks for your service to your writers, and kindness to this curious reader.

Terry

Edited by raven1
  • Love 2