Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So, I'm new to GA and well into posting my first story. I get plenty of comments, all of them positive so far. And I get a lot of "reactions" - again, mostly "like" and "love," some "wow."

I guess I have two questions, and I suppose neither of them can be answered.

1)  Is there any definition of what these reactions actually mean? I am guessing it's entirely subjective and there's no way to tell what the person meant by clicking on the icon.

2)  I have gotten a few "angry" - but only the reaction, with no comment explaining why they're angry. Is this just a way of dissing other writers? What would happen if I contacted the angry reactors and asked what's up or what I wrote to make them angry?

I don't want to open up a hornet's nest, but if I'm pissing people off but don't know how or why, I don't think it's much help for them to just click on "angry."

I ask the more experienced authors here what they do, and what advice they would give me.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Tim Hobson said:

So, I'm new to GA and well into posting my first story. I get plenty of comments, all of them positive so far. And I get a lot of "reactions" - again, mostly "like" and "love," some "wow."

I guess I have two questions, and I suppose neither of them can be answered.

1)  Is there any definition of what these reactions actually mean? I am guessing it's entirely subjective and there's no way to tell what the person meant by clicking on the icon.

2)  I have gotten a few "angry" - but only the reaction, with no comment explaining why they're angry. Is this just a way of dissing other writers? What would happen if I contacted the angry reactors and asked what's up or what I wrote to make them angry?

I don't want to open up a hornet's nest, but if I'm pissing people off but don't know how or why, I don't think it's much help for them to just click on "angry."

I ask the more experienced authors here what they do, and what advice they would give me.

There aren't really any definitions as to what the reactions mean as they're used completely subjectively.  When I get an 'angry' reaction on a story chapter, it's usually related to my characters' actions or else something that happened to them.   Personally, I love it when I get reactions other than a 'like' because it shows that the story/chapter moved the reader in a way to seek out a specific reaction.  Sometimes readers will react 'angry' to cliffhangers, but I take it as a compliment because they want more of the story.  I wouldn't ever contact anyone over it, but that's just me.  I hope this helps! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, Tim Hobson said:

So, I'm new to GA and well into posting my first story. I get plenty of comments, all of them positive so far. And I get a lot of "reactions" - again, mostly "like" and "love," some "wow."

I guess I have two questions, and I suppose neither of them can be answered.

1)  Is there any definition of what these reactions actually mean? I am guessing it's entirely subjective and there's no way to tell what the person meant by clicking on the icon.

2)  I have gotten a few "angry" - but only the reaction, with no comment explaining why they're angry. Is this just a way of dissing other writers? What would happen if I contacted the angry reactors and asked what's up or what I wrote to make them angry?

I don't want to open up a hornet's nest, but if I'm pissing people off but don't know how or why, I don't think it's much help for them to just click on "angry."

I ask the more experienced authors here what they do, and what advice they would give me.

Reaction.... definitely subjective and is usually a direct response to how a reader feels about the chapter as a whole.

When it comes to the "angry" reaction it usually is a response to something the characters have done. For example; if a chapter describes a character walking in on their spouse cheating on them, you may get an angry reaction from a reader because they are angry at the cheater, not you as the author, so rest assured, the readers isn't angry with you. 

Occasionally someone hits an inappropriate reaction by mistake and doesn't realize it. 

Reactions will end up helping to build your reputation. That's what the ever changing number beside your name indicates, how many total reactions you've received. Your reputation helps earn badges, which matter to some people, not so much to others. 

When responding to a reader's comment you should tap on the word 'quote' beneath their response. This will give them a notification that you have responded to them and gives another opportunity for a reaction response. 

I hope this helps. You can always pm me if you need more clarification.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thanks for your quick reply. I kind of thought it was entirely subjective, so it's really impossible to know what the reader means, unless they also write a comment.

You said some readers are angry because it's related to the characters or something that happened to them. I get that, but how do you know? Do they tell you somehow?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, kbois said:

Reaction.... definitely subjective and is usually a direct response to how a reader feels about the chapter as a whole.

When it comes to the "angry" reaction it usually is a response to something the characters have done. For example; if a chapter describes a character walking in on their spouse cheating on them, you may get an angry reaction from a reader because they are angry at the cheater, not you as the author, so rest assured, the readers isn't angry with you. 

Occasionally someone hits an inappropriate reaction by mistake and doesn't realize it. 

Reactions will end up helping to build your reputation. That's what the ever changing number beside your name indicates, how many total reactions you've received. Your reputation helps earn badges, which matter to some people, not so much to others. 

When responding to a reader's comment you should tap on the word 'quote' beneath their response. This will give them a notification that you have responded to them and gives another opportunity for a reaction response. 

I hope this helps. You can always pm me if you need more clarification.

Following your advice, I clicked on "Quote." Thanks for the explanation. I'm good with it now. I noticed that there was some kind of scoring system, but I don't know if I even care, as long as people are enjoying what I write. Is there any advantage to earning badges - do your stories become more prominent?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I agree with @Valkyrie.   You probably didn't piss off the reader, but they were angry with any of the characters, but asking is never wrong. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Tim Hobson said:

You said some readers are angry because it's related to the characters or something that happened to them. I get that, but how do you know? Do they tell you somehow?

I know by the content of what I post.  So if the characters happen to do something stupid, make a facepalm/cringy mistake, or else have something nasty happen to them, then I can expect to get some angry reactions.  Some readers will tell me, but other readers just leave a reaction.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Just now, Valkyrie said:

I know by the content of what I post.  So if the characters happen to do something stupid, make a facepalm/cringy mistake, or else have something nasty happen to them, then I can expect to get some angry reactions.  Some readers will tell me, but other readers just leave a reaction.   

Thanks. I'm still learning, but this (and all the other replies) is/are very helpful. I don't think I need any further responses. I'm grateful for this forum.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..