Anthology 101

• Site Administrator

Have a question about the anthologies?  Hopefully your question will be answered below, but if not, feel free to post your question in the anthology forum or PM Valkyrie or Cia. You never know, your question may be one that others have!

ANTHOLOGY 101
UPDATED: 8/30/2023

What are the anthologies?  

The anthologies are a GA sponsored story event. As of 2022, the anthology will take place annually.

Who can participate in the anthology?

Everyone is welcome to submit stories to the anthology. Whether it’s your first story, or your 30th, everyone is welcome.

Do I have to sign up somewhere for the anthology?

No, there is no required sign up. If you are inspired to write a story, write a story, get it edited, and send it to the proof team. While not required, we ask that authors RSVP to the anthology event under the "events" section of the activity stream.  This assists the anthology team with planning, especially if there is a large amount of participants.

How do anthologies work?

• Anthology themes are selected and posted in the Anthology Forum
  • Authors pick a theme and write a story of between 1,000 and 25,000 words
  • Authors send the story through their editing team (If you do not have a team, see "Where do I find an editor" below)
  • Authors send their story to Valkyrie to be paired with a proof team member
  • Proofreader goes through author's story and returns it
  • Authors make any necessary changes and posts it, according to guidelines, in GA stories
  • Anthology Coordinator moves the story to the anthology category
  • Stories are published by the anthology coordinator and blogs are published with links to the stories

How long do the anthology stories have to be?

The word count for anthology stories must range between 1,000 words to 25,000 words.

I write poetry, not prose, can I contribute to the anthology?

Yes. Poets can contribute an unlimited number of poems, posted as a single submission, up to 10,000 words total.

Can I use characters from a current story for my anthology story?

It depends. Stories submitted to the anthology must stand alone and not require any prior reading. You cannot submit a chapter for your current story to the anthology. You can write a short story using characters from another story, providing the reader does not need to read the previous story to understand the anthology entry.

I'm using characters from a previous story, and I am worried about whether it counts as a stand-alone story.

If you are uncertain whether or not your submission is acceptable, please let the proof team know when you submit the story. Your proofreader can read the story with that in mind and let you know whether or not they were able to understand the story without reading the previous story.

How many stories can I submit to an anthology?

There is no limit; however, each story must meet editing and content standards.

What is the proof team? Do they do editing for the anthology?

The proof team is a group of members/authors who have agreed to do a final proofread on all anthologies. They also do a content check per GA guidelines. They do not do full edits.

Where can I find an editor for my anthology story?

To request an editor, you must first join the Writer's Circle. Once there, click on the “Editors” tab and follow the guidelines in the "To The Authors" thread to post your request as a new thread.

Who can I contact if I have questions regarding the anthologies?

You can post questions in the current anthology topic in the anthology forum or PM Valkyrie.

How do I submit a story to the anthology?

Submission instructions can always be found in the posting for the current anthology. I have also posted them in a spoiler for your convenience:

Spoiler

Submission Procedure *Please read carefully*

Once your story is complete and has gone through your beta and editing team, please complete the following steps:

• Contact @Valkyrie via PM. Include in the PM the following information: Title, original editor, genre, synopsis, word count, and excerpt in the body of the PM. Attach your story file. You will be paired with an editor from the Anthology Proof Team who will perform a final proof for the anthology and return the file to you. *Please Note: Prior editing required before submission.*
  • Once you receive your proofed file, complete your edits and submit your story into the GA Stories Archive. For help, please read How do I upload my anthology entry into GA Stories?
    • Make sure the story is unpublished; do not click the publish buttons or select any publish dates
    • Select “Fiction” as the category. It will be moved later by staff. 
    • Mark your story status as COMPLETE. Only completed stories are allowed in the anthologies
    • Please note that once you submit a story it will NOT show up in your list of stories until the anthology has gone live.
    • Copy the URL for your story (not a chapter page) and paste it in the announcement thread so your submission may be checked to ensure meets submission guidelines and is moved to the anthology category. 

[*]Please do a visual check of your story once it has been uploaded to ensure that it posted correctly. If it did not, contact @Cia
IMPORTANT: Please DO NOT do ANYTHING with your story once it has been submitted to the anthology. We lock edits to anthologies, but we can only lock so much and making ANY changes can cause issues with the system. If there is something with your story that absolutely needs fixed, added, etc, PLEASE contact @Cia. Thank you!

When will I know if my story is accepted for the anthology?

Provided your story meets content and editing standards, and is in by the deadline, your story will be included. If there are any issues concerning your story, you will be contacted by Valkyrie or Cia and given a chance to fix it.

When is the deadline for the anthology?

The deadline for the 2023 anthology is October 1st.  Stories must be submitted to the proof team by midnight, EST, on that date.

My story hasn’t been returned by my proofreader by the deadline.  Is it too late to post my story?

Proof team members must return proofread stories within 72 hours after receiving a story, unless other arrangements have been made.  Longer stories will sometimes require a longer time frame to proofread, which will be communicated to the author. Authors must implement any changes made by the proofreader and upload their story either by the deadline or, if the deadline has passed, within 72 hours of receiving the proofread story.  If a story has not been returned in a timely manner with no communication from the proofreader, then please contact Valkyrie. 

• Like 5