Werebears in America by Grumpy Bear

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very interested to see what Izz, the sun bear, does in the upcoming adventures. As bizarre as having a new character join Axel and Adam would be, I think Izz could have fun... or "fun" traveling with them to Africa in search of another ancient. Or maybe... the ancient finds Izz...

Edited by astone2292
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1

I agree with @astone2292 that Izz would be a great addition to a search for Ancients on either Africa or in search of the avians.  It would be a more natural addition to the search in East Asia for the avians, since the sun bears inhabit this area. 

Will there be Red Panda shifters in a story set in Asia?  Red Pandas are soo cute and playful!  Think of how they would look in human form.

hungry red panda GIF   

main-qimg-9a65081ecaa527729da53cf93b2882

• Like 1
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, raven1 said:

I agree with @astone2292 that Izz would be a great addition to a search for Ancients on either Africa or in search of the avians.  It would be a more natural addition to the search in East Asia for the avians, since the sun bears inhabit this area. 

Will there be Red Panda shifters in a story set in Asia?  Red Pandas are soo cute and playful!  Think of how they would look in human form.

hungry red panda GIF   

main-qimg-9a65081ecaa527729da53cf93b2882

Now we're cookin'! Plenty of new and uncharted species to play with. Avians, red pandas, regular pandas... I'll even throw in a lion. I want to toss in another suggestion, but I'm using it for another story of mine, and it's going to be so adorable. Right now, I'm sold on three options to focus on: Izz the sun bear, avians, and a Giant Panda. 

Although, I can see a mischievous pack of red pandas running amok in Atikokan in the near future. They're not quite bears, but they're not quite raccoons, but they act like both. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

Now we're cookin'! Plenty of new and uncharted species to play with. Avians, red pandas, regular pandas... I'll even throw in a lion. I want to toss in another suggestion, but I'm using it for another story of mine, and it's going to be so adorable. Right now, I'm sold on three options to focus on: Izz the sun bear, avians, and a Giant Panda. 

Although, I can see a mischievous pack of red pandas running amok in Atikokan in the near future. They're not quite bears, but they're not quite raccoons, but they act like both. 

A mass mixed species orgy here we cum

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
1 minute ago, raven1 said:

I love your thinking Chris! 

Chaos Costumes GIF by Big Brother 2022

I'm dyin'! Simply dyin' of laughter! 

Those three bears are literally what I envisioned when the pack of red pandas came to mind... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
15 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

I'm dyin'! Simply dyin' of laughter! 

Those three bears are literally what I envisioned when the pack of red pandas came to mind... 

When I saw the gif I just had to use it.  It reminded me of Captain Don's lunch break with Siku and crew on the fishing trawler in Sturgeon Bay. 

Edited by raven1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Your plan of action sounds great.  Although I miss the Werebear world, take all the time you need to get the story you want the way you want it.  You know we will all love it!:heart:

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 8/4/2022 at 8:57 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

I'm following along.  😉  I hadn't considered red pandas before, since they're such small  species.  I haven't yet considered the implications of a human transforming into a creature smaller than his human size yet.

I'm glad that Izz got such a great reception.  I sort of added him at the last minute while writing the last chapter to add some interest, and it appears to have worked.  I'll definitely get back to him at some point, but I'll really need to do some more research on Indonesian culture and behaviors before I can really flesh out his personality.  All I have so far is that he really likes his coffee!

I admit that I'm having a little trouble getting started on book 6.  I have a general idea that I would like it to be a Bernie/Karhu/Axel/Adam story, that includes Bernie's first change, and addresses exactly WHAT he becomes when he becomes a bear and then also calls upon his demigod form.  I know what that is, but I'm still working on devising a rough plan for what the adventure/conflict those four characters will encounter, where in the world it will take them, and whether or not Susie and Apollo (fan favorites, of course) will have to get involved.

I'll try to keep you all posted once I have the general idea pinned down a little more, and then once that happens, the writing usually takes on a life of its own and starts flying through my fingers to the keyboard.

More to come...

I am not sure if you are looking for ideas or not, but maybe these could give you some.

The lycan council, with Adam possibly receiving the email, has been informed that the lions of africa have caught wind of the lycan council and want to ally with it. Apollo and Susie, with Adam (who can now fly btw) and Axel, plan to go off to Africa, but before making their plans official, Ezekiel, being ancient, informs them of the Atlas bear that once lived in Africa. About how a tribe of bears had given their strength to a false God and in doing so, doomed themselves. Remaining bears, as little as there may still be, are still being hunted down in Africa. This false God feasts on bears physical being to satiate its spiritual being. For some time, it previously pertained to only bears; however, other were-creatures may also have been affected as well, which might suggest as to why the lions are contacting the lycan council to become allies. For over a thousand years, bears have avoided Africa due to this crisis. Ezekiel informs them that while this may or may not all be true, it may not be a good idea to actually go to that area as this God had to have been gathering strength for over a thousand years. A moral dilemma ensues resulting in them talking about the previous false God (Tuath Dé) that had been resurrected, in which Bernie had killed, possibly because it was a much weaker God. Bernie has since become much stronger in his training, but hasn't shifted yet. Wanting to investigate this rumor further, but also wanting to bring some force just in case, they decide to bring Bernie and Karhu. (They don't want to send an army over with just a rumor) Rodney (with Marcus) could also come with as he has Wights which if book 4 is anything to go off of, have the potential to track, and can help warn them if anything is going on within the general area. Also, if Bernie were to somehow get separated from the group, assuming Bernie still has that bear marking, maybe the Wights could track him via that mark.

These are just some ideas as it seems that Bernie's story has a much bigger purpose. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
On 8/6/2022 at 8:12 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

Thanks @Smokey!  Reading through your synopsis gave me a spark of inspiration that while not the same as your idea, lit the flame for the story outline for book 6!  Here's the back-of-the-book-jacket synopsis:

Bernhard Odinson, the human descendant of the Norse god Thor is now twenty-two, has reached maturity, completed his training, and has begun the process of transforming from man to werebear.  When he undergoes his first shift, in addition to becoming one with his bear, he will also receive his full powers as a demigod.  However, the news of his ascendancy into power has spread throughout lycan communities worldwide, and the African Lycan Council considers him a threat to all of were-kind and should be destroyed.  But when the North American Lycan Council sends a peace delegation to Africa, including Bernie and his mate Karhu, Bernie's presence awakens an even more ancient force that poses the greatest threat of all.  Can the two opposing factions come together to protect their existence, or will fear and hostility doom them all?

I envision the African Lycan Council (ALC) to be composed of Lion, Cheetah and Atlas Bear shifters (thanks for that idea!), and I will get to spend some time on the Atlas Bear history, and the preservation of the Atlas were-species even when the wild bears were made extinct.  (Did you know that Atlas bears were used in ancient Rome to fight the gladiators in the Colosseum?  There's so much potential there to explore the history of the Atlas werebears!)

Main cast carried over from previous books will be:

Bernie & Karhu (the perceived threat)

Axel, Adam, Ezekiel (representing the NALC)

Apollo & Susie (security & representing NALC wolf-lycan interests)

Rodney & Marcus and the Wights (our crew's secret weapon!)

I'm excited to introduce the new lion, cheetah and Atlas bear shifters, and even more excited for the new/old big-bad-villain who will make the Tuath look like weak little kittens in comparison!

Now to get to work!

Really looking forward to reading the next part of this wonderful story @Grumpy Bear

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Chapter 1 of Gods and Ancients has been posted.  I'm very excited for this story and happy to be starting another werebear adventure!

Gods and Ancients_cover.jpg

Look forward to reading about Bernie's adventures.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 8/4/2022 at 11:57 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

I haven't yet considered the implications of a human transforming into a creature smaller than his human size yet.

Depends on how involved you want to get.  Magic can do anything (though for the sake of believability, it shouldn't be able to do everything), but if you want to take the conservation of mass and energy into account (as Poul Anderson does in Operation Chaos). that makes things much trickier.

• Like 4