Pokémon Scarlet/Violet

Anyone else playing the newest generation of Pokémon games? Despite a few frame-drop issues, I'm having an honest blast decimating everything in my path with my Flamigo (affectionately nicknamed Flambae). 

Lots of tiny game mechanic changes I'm loving, such as picking up items with no interrupting text boxes and sped-up catching shakes. A few mechanics could've been left alone... not being able to change the battle style from switch to set is annoying. 

Haven't gotten very far in the story. Just beat the first gym and Titan. Many of the new Mons are just so stinkin' adorable (Pawmi, Fuecoco, and Tarountula)!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
24 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

Anyone else playing the newest generation of Pokémon games? Despite a few frame-drop issues, I'm having an honest blast decimating everything in my path with my Flamigo (affectionately nicknamed Flambae). 

Lots of tiny game mechanic changes I'm loving, such as picking up items with no interrupting text boxes and sped-up catching shakes. A few mechanics could've been left alone... not being able to change the battle style from switch to set is annoying. 

Haven't gotten very far in the story. Just beat the first gym and Titan. Many of the new Mons are just so stinkin' adorable (Pawmi, Fuecoco, and Tarountula)!!!

Shouldn't you be writing?

• Haha 4
Just now, kbois said:

Shouldn't you be writing?

I mean... I am writing a Pokémon fan-fic on the side. My MC is slowly finding himself in the caretaking/fostering business for abused or troubled Pokémon. I'm, like, 14k words in.

• Wow 1
23 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

I mean... I am writing a Pokémon fan-fic on the side. My MC is slowly finding himself in the caretaking/fostering business for abused or troubled Pokémon. I'm, like, 14k words in.

Poor Cow-man. Pushed to the side in favor of a Flamigo.

• Haha 2

Yes, I've a cat that seems to thwack mobs with a yoyo, a raltz (already a gardevoir) that destroys everything, a new rock type that's a total tank but has smiley face eyes whenever it wins a fight...and the creepiest looking lizard head that evolved into some sort of poison monkey. To be honest, I'm not sure which of its evolutions freaks me out the most, but he's a useful little guy. I found the little fire megaman, but he's very weak at the moment. Oh! And I've a pawmi (now a pawmo?) on my team, as well. And as ridiculous as his riding form is, I adore my Scarlet Legendary and his love of sandwiches (which I imagine is the same in the Violet version but I've yet to verify that). 

• Love 1

OH! Don't sell/trade for points the Gimminghoul coins as you collect them (the little coin guy is found randomly on rocks and ruins around the field and sometimes even in towns, you go up to him to "talk" and he gives you a few coins). You need 999 of them to evolve the actual pokemon, which is found on top of towers.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Thirdly said:

Yes, I've a cat that seems to thwack mobs with a yoyo, a raltz (already a gardevoir) that destroys everything, a new rock type that's a total tank but has smiley face eyes whenever it wins a fight...and the creepiest looking lizard head that evolved into some sort of poison monkey. To be honest, I'm not sure which of its evolutions freaks me out the most, but he's a useful little guy. I found the little fire megaman, but he's very weak at the moment. Oh! And I've a pawmi (now a pawmo?) on my team, as well. And as ridiculous as his riding form is, I adore my Scarlet Legendary and his love of sandwiches (which I imagine is the same in the Violet version but I've yet to verify that). 

I have a derpy, red crocodile wearing a sombrero (Crocalor), a brown blob that slaps and flicks mud everywhere (Clodsire), a flamingo that kicks everything across all of Paldea (Flamigo), and a strange, waddling, green ball of electricity with googly eyes (Bellibolt). Two slots are still open for vacancy. 

My purple dude loves his sammiches as well. 

3 hours ago, Thirdly said:

OH! Don't sell/trade for points the Gimminghoul coins as you collect them (the little coin guy is found randomly on rocks and ruins around the field and sometimes even in towns, you go up to him to "talk" and he gives you a few coins). You need 999 of them to evolve the actual pokemon, which is found on top of towers.

I read about that at work today!! Jokes on them; I collected all of the Unown on Shining Pearl just for giggles. Challenge accepted. 

8 hours ago, astone2292 said:

I have a derpy, red crocodile wearing a sombrero (Crocalor), a brown blob that slaps and flicks mud everywhere (Clodsire), a flamingo that kicks everything across all of Paldea (Flamigo), and a strange, waddling, green ball of electricity with googly eyes (Bellibolt). Two slots are still open for vacancy. 

I read about that at work today!! Jokes on them; I collected all of the Unown on Shining Pearl just for giggles. Challenge accepted. 

If I were you, I'd eventually trade out the extra lighting bellibolt with something else for balance (Pawmi gets good lightning attacks too). As for the coins, the reason I warned you was because I totally traded a bunch of mine. I now have to go back and get them all over again. Luckily the little coin guy respawns in the same places. He's even on top or behind road signs. It's fun to find him. I think I'm going to name my Gardevoir "Terminadora" (Female Terminator in Spanish, since it's fitting) since she still kills everything in sight better than any of my other pokemons in "let's go" mode. It's crazy that her line of vision is so much sharper. 

Edited by Thirdly
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Thirdly said:

If I were you, I'd eventually trade out the extra lighting bellibolt with something else for balance (Pawmi gets good lightning attacks too). As for the coins, the reason I warned you was because I totally traded a bunch of mine. I now have to go back and get them all over again. Luckily the little coin guy respawns in the same places. He's even on top or behind road signs. It's fun to find him. I think I'm going to name my Gardevoir "Terminadora" (Female Terminator in Spanish, since it's fitting) since she still kills everything in sight better than any of my other pokemons in "let's go" mode. It's crazy that her line of vision is so much sharper. 

I was tempted to go with Pawmi (had one, named her Tina), but I already had a fighting type with Flambae. Besides, I love my Bellibolt! He's adorable, chonky, and has an awesome ability with Electromorphis (he gets hit, and his next Electric attack is boosted). Useful since he's a tanky boi with a decent Sp. Attack stat 

I'm thinking of going with Pawniard since he got an extra evolution this gen. I do have a Gyarados with a boosted Attack nature... but I always play with one, so he might sit this playthrough out. 

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

I was tempted to go with Pawmi (had one, named her Tina), but I already had a fighting type with Flambae. Besides, I love my Bellibolt! He's adorable, chonky, and has an awesome ability with Electromorphis (he gets hit, and his next Electric attack is boosted). Useful since he's a tanky boi with a decent Sp. Attack stat 

I'm thinking of going with Pawniard since he got an extra evolution this gen. I do have a Gyarados with a boosted Attack nature... but I always play with one, so he might sit this playthrough out. 

Sit that gyarados out on this playthrough. Go with something crazy like water/poison like that anemone thing near one of the beaches...Mareanie/Toxapex! That's what they're called.  I really wanted to raise that Bisharp line too! But, he's steel/dark and I already have dark on my team. 😭 It's always so much harder to balance my team whenever I pick grass as the starter. 

Edited by Thirdly
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Thirdly said:

Sit that gyarados out on this playthrough. Go with something crazy like water/poison like that anemone thing near one of the beaches...Mareanie/Toxapex! That's what they're called.  I really wanted to raise that Bisharp line too! But, he's steel/dark and I already have dark on my team. 😭 It's always so much harder to balance my team whenever I pick grass as the starter. 

Already got poison covered with Clodsire (Wooper's evo) (if you don't have one, highly recommend if you need a ground/poison blob. He's tanky and has good ability with Water Absorb, eliminating one weakness).

I'd like to find solid members with ice, grass, and water. Was tempted by Capsakid, but if I evolve him, that's another fire type on the squad... I'm finding that team-building is much more complicated in this gen for whatever reason. 

• Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 12:44 AM, astone2292 said:

Train an annihilape up, you will love him. Mankey needed the third stage as Primeape just hasn't seen any love over the last few gens. Ghost/Fighting type is a fun dual form and the evolution by move use was a neat a little gimmick for this old-school monkey boxer. 

I wish there was a way to link this game up with Legends Arceus, I want my Hisuan Goodra to play.

Edited by W_L
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, W_L said:

Train an annihilape up, you will love him. Mankey needed the third stage as Primeape just hasn't seen any love over the last few gens. Ghost/Fighting type is a fun dual form and the evolution by move use was a neat a little gimmick for this old-school monkey boxer. 

He's a monster. An absolute unit. Some of the evolution mechanics (Annhilape and Pawmo) were well implemented. 

6 hours ago, W_L said:

I wish there was a way to link this game up with Legends Arceus, I want my Hisuan Goodra to play.

Omg, Skeledirge and Hisuan Typhlosion singing a duet would be adorbs...

Pokémon Home is projected to be working by Spring 2023 for ScarVi. I'm curious to see if they'll use it with Arceus considering *plot stuff, plot stuff, plot stuff*

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, astone2292 said:

I CAUGHT A SHINY GIBLE!!! I shall name her Stephanie. 

Bravo! I have come across (without even the shiny charm yet!) a shiny: Bronzor, one of those spiders that look like yarn...you can't miss it instead of white it's red...a venomoth, a snover, a rockruff (all three are blue)...I had a heart attack when I saw and caught a pink Dratini...meanwhile, my pregnant bestie caught a shiny dung beetle on the desert plateaus!! Instead of dung, he's rolling a ball of gold!! 

Edited by Thirdly
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, Thirdly said:

Bravo! I have come across (without even the shiny charm yet!) a shiny: Bronzor, one of those spiders that look like yarn...you can't miss it instead of white it's red...a venomoth, a snover, a rockruff (all three are blue)...I had a heart attack when I saw and caught a pink Dratini...meanwhile, my pregnant bestie caught a shiny dung beetle on the desert plateaus!! Instead of dung, he's rolling a ball of gold!! 

The shiny odds in this game are busted, and I'm here for it!

• Haha 1