Normal in the UK, crazy for the USA.

Talo Segura

Careful guys, it's getting close to political. GA has rules on discussing this stuff outside the Pit.

Paid vacation differences was a neat topic, since the US doesn't universally have it and who doesn't want to have minimum paid vacations. It's not politics per se, just a weird concept from different perspectives.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, W_L said:

Careful guys, it's getting close to political.

I don't believe discussing life in different parts of the world, in different countries, or making comparisons between the UK and US is political. A subject becomes politics when you advocate one thing over another and want to persuade other people that your view is right and an opposing view is wrong. 

Here, we are discussing differences, not advocating that anything is better or worse, for me it gives an insight to life elsewhere, different cultures, and societies. But to take note of @W_L's observation, please only discuss and let's not start waving banners! 

• Like 4

I think the problem is bringing in the EU. The thread title is about places and all their observable differences, but the EU (the graphic) isn’t a place it is a political entity - which is absolutely fine for discussion in the “other place”

…which segues neatly into animal cr@p :gikkle: In the UK all animals (eg sheep 🐑 pigs 🐷 cats 🐈 and penguins 🐧:funny:) can legally cr@p on footpaths - but not dogs 🐶 🐩 🐕 :lol: 

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Drinking

Most of Europe sets min age 18 but can be (and is) set higher - 20 in two countries: Iceland +Lithuania (EU member)

Drying clothes inside

is a real problem in cold+humid Northern European countries eg UK (damp, black mould) but dryers have their own problems… 🔥 :o

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Can someone explain to me the difference between a Lorry in the UK and a Truck in the US?

I know they're similar based on context.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, W_L said:

Can someone explain to me the difference between a Lorry in the UK and a Truck in the US?

There is no difference; it's just different terminology for the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, W_L said:

In the US, "Truck" may refer a 'pickup' truck, used by individuals to carry small loads of tools, equipment, or materials. But the equivalent to a lorry would be a "Semi truck", used for carrying large loads of cargo or shipments of goods. Semi trucks usually have just enough space for a driver and one or two passengers in the cabin. Long-haul semis often have space for a bed, a WC, and sometimes even a small kitchen.

In the UK, I assume that lorries have the steering, brakes, and meters on the right-hand side of the cabin. Apart from that, I don't think they differ very greatly from US semi trucks.

• Like 4