Stupid English

Talo Segura

I have wondered where the non-sensical expressions we see more and more of originate. Then it was revealed in a casual article I read, that they are the constructs of Gen Z (The generation born between 1997 and 2012). It was a minor relevelation that a generation could influence the Emglish language in such a stupid way.

Take the Olympics, various sponsors have their one line slogans, for Toyota it was "Start Your Impossible."

I am not, judging by the questions posted in online forums, the only person who found it difficult to make sense of this slogan. "A friend in France has asked how to translate the above: he says it's everywhere in his locality at the moment." one British person posted. Someone in the USA replied: "According to the company's Canadian website it's réalisez l'impossible (realise the impossible) in Canadian French, at least. The overall meaning is shifted a bit."

Another response, this time from Quebec (French speaking Canada) added, "Which one are you saying is gobbledegook? Start your impossible or the French adaptation Réalisez l'impossible (realise the impossible)? I may be biased, but I for one prefer the French adaptation."

I wont go into all the other replies which had equally valid translations, however the actual official French expression and explanation is this: Start Your Impossible » (Dépasser l’impossible) traduisant son engagement à favoriser la mobilité pour tous en vue de créer une société plus durable et plus accueillante où chacun pourra oser ce qui lui paraît aujourd’hui impossible. Translated: overcome the impossible, turn your engagement towards encouraging mobility for everyone in order to create a society which lasts longer and is more welcoming, where each person can achieve that which today seems impossible.

Overcome the impossible makes sense, it's a catchphrase for overcome what is today impossible, and in the context of the Olympics and Paralympics is perfectly understandable. Start Your Impossible is somewhat meaningless.

Another example of Gen Z vocabulary is, "See the garden? It's giving relaxation." That one is more easily understood, but is it English or is it stupid?

• Like 1

Many idioms/expressions have their origins in a different time period, a particular occupation or activity, or a mistranslation, as the above example.  The confusing part is that the idioms don't always mean or interpret into intended meanings.  For example: 

Saying someone is "under the weather" means they aren't feeling well. 

If you refer to something is "a piece of cake", you're merely saying that it is easy. 

If someone "spills the beans", it means the person has divulged a secret. 

Is someone tells you to "stop beating around the bush", he wants you to quit stalling and get to the point of what you were saying.  

Someone saying "break a leg", is just using a theatrical term meaning they're wishing you "good luck". 

If someone tells you "the ball is in your court", they're merely using a basketball expression meaning "it's your decision as to what to do next".  

If someone says they're going to "kill two birds with one stone", they're merely saying they're going to  "achieve two goals with a single action". 

And if anyone tells you somethings costs "an arm and a leg", they're merely indication that the goal is very expensive or costly. 

If a woman is referred to as a "Karen", or a male "Ken or Kevin", it merely means that they are a middle-age white person who is perceived as entitled or is excessively demanding. 

I hope these idioms aren't too outdated and it helps to shine a light on why these are sometimes difficult to understand. 

• Like 3