[NickolasJames8] You don't always die from tobacco

Out of all drugs I've ever come into contact with, tobacco is the most evil, vile, diabolical, and DIFFICULT TO QUIT out of them all. I've smoked for nearly five years, and I really doubt I'll ever quit. I've tried quitting with the idea that it was bad for me, but I found that it was even worse for the people around me when I didn't have cigarettes. :P

Moral of the story: when they say "don't start", it really IS a good idea. Call Marlboro or Camel one day, and just announce that you're quitting smoking. They'll most likely suppress giggles (or if you get one that's not so polite, burst into roaring fits of laughter) and wish you luck. They know they have every smoker by the nads, no question. :P

But all that said... you couldn't pry my cigarettes out of my hands unless I was dead AND you had a good crowbar. :D

I quit smoking for two weeks. It made me such a mean SOB, the office chipped in and bought me a carton.

Hey smokers :great:

Smoking pipe is fine :P

You have so much to to (clean the pipe, ram the tobacco, light the pipe, take care of the burning...aso) ....

Its a real pleasure. When I worked with others in the same office, I stopped for years. Now, as an alone worker, its a nice moment to beginn and finish the working day with a good pipe. A lot of people around me appreciate it.

old Bob

Person A to person B: you should quit smoking, it will slowly kill you.

Person B: I aint in a hurry...

Two weeks ago I visited my GP (doctor) because I had a "flu like illness" (her actual diagnosis).

Whilst I was there I discussed my inability to quit smoking. This came up because a friend of mine, only 6 years older than me, was diagnosed with lung cancer in May and buried in August.

She reckoned I shouldn't worry about lung cancer, because that would most certainly kill me quickly.

What I should worry about, she said, is developing respiratory problems, sitting in a corner for 20 years or more fighting for every breath, and being a burden to both myself and everyone around me.

My doctor is a wonderful woman. She always tells it like it is.

(I still haven't quit yet, though)

~ Marty ~

I usually have a smart ass remark to those who say 'you should quit smoking'. Yes... I'm one of them evil smokers. I want to quit, and some day I will.

My usual response..

Yes... I've tried the patch, but I couldn't keep the damn thing lit.

My other stock reply...

I'll puff this cigarette, you suck on the tailpipe of your car. Now.. let's see which of us drops dead first. If you're that damned concerned about clean air... I guess you'll be buying a bicycle now won't ya!

Yeah... I'm a bitch lol

My version of quitting is being without money, a ride to the store, or someone over eighteen to buy cigarettes for me. As soon as the right combination occurs, I'm a smoker again. And me without cigarettes is a very bad thing.

I don't intend to quit. I like to think I at least know what I'm going to die from. It kinda makes me feel invincible for the time being. :D

My version of quitting is being without money, a ride to the store, or someone over eighteen to buy cigarettes for me. As soon as the right combination occurs, I'm a smoker again. And me without cigarettes is a very bad thing.

I don't intend to quit. I like to think I at least know what I'm going to die from. It kinda makes me feel invincible for the time being. :D

Damn guys this is so close to home for me it hurts. When i was a kid my mom used to say whenever my sisters and me used to beg her to stop smoking that she had to die from something. Well 40 years later she did and yeah it was from cancer that the Doctors insist came from 40 plus years of smoking. As much as you guys think that it isnt serious hate to tell you it is. It no fun dying from Cancer and it is funny the instant my mom heard the diagnosis she quit smoking that day. Okay not funny kind of tragic cause she died that year :(

I'm really sorry for your loss, Mirage. :hug: I think it's sad that the package says that it causes cancer but people still smoke....I mean, if poison tasted good, would people eat it?? Probably not, but for some dumb reason, people can't stop smoking. It's pretty wack if you ask me.

Damn guys this is so close to home for me it hurts. When i was a kid my mom used to say whenever my sisters and me used to beg her to stop smoking that she had to die from something. Well 40 years later she did and yeah it was from cancer that the Doctors insist came from 40 plus years of smoking. As much as you guys think that it isnt serious hate to tell you it is. It no fun dying from Cancer and it is funny the instant my mom heard the diagnosis she quit smoking that day. Okay not funny kind of tragic cause she died that year :(

That is absolutely aweful Mirage. My heart goes out to you. My grandfather died of lung cancer. He too, was a smoker. We're addicted. We're caught in the trap of withdrawal and what's easier to do. It's easier to go and buy that pack of smokes from around the corner than to suffer through and just stop.

I have no delusions of immortality. I don't know what will make me worm's meat. It's an insideous circle of self destruction we see but don't seem able to avoid. We know it causes cancer and yet we light up one right after the other.

I really do have the 'patch'. And I know one day soon... I'm going to quit. I keep telling myself it's too expensive a habit. (I have so many vices already) I could shed one and not suffer any loss of joy in my life. It tastes like shit... it stinks... and it's killing me. So why light up the next cigarette... well... because I'm addicted. I NEED it.

The stresses of life are never ending, and so we use them to bolster our habit as well.

Quitting isn't easy, and gods help the cannon fodder of my moods when that day comes. This though... takes me one step closer to calling it quits.