Weird Warnings

I've just read this in The Sydney Morning Herald:

Road sign in the North Island of New Zealand: Overconfident Drivers Ahead

Here in Arizona, especially on smaller roads in rural areas, you very often have small bridges over small dry washes (dry creeks). On many of those washes, you will see a sign naming the wash. The problem is that many of the washes don't have names. So, what did the highway department do? Put up signs saying "Unnamed Wash". I've seen dozens of these.

This is the same highway department that put up road signs pointing the way to nearby towns. Handy, unless the town they point to isn't there anymore. There are quite a few like that, where not even a ruin remains. One example is the town of Goodwin. There are highway signs pointing to it in several nearby towns that lead you down slowly-worsening dirt roads, but when you get to it, there isn't a sign to say you are there (nor any other indication, not even a foundation, as everything was demolished nearly a hundred years ago).

However, what they usually Don't bother to do is signpost highway intersections on some roads, which often ends up with visitors lost and driving down ever-worsening old mining trails that fade out miles from anywhere. This has cost quite a few unwary drivers their lives (due to getting stuck miles from anywhere.)

• Site Administrator

Thanks, Kurt -- that's a great one!

The signs with a sense of humour are typically the ones that people remember AND the ones that are most effective. That's the sort of sign that people WILL pay attention to.

Thanks, Kurt -- that's a great one!

The signs with a sense of humour are typically the ones that people remember AND the ones that are most effective. That's the sort of sign that people WILL pay attention to.

That's very true.

However, I'm still trying to figure out why so many Christmas lights carry the warning: For indoor or outdoor use ONLY. :wacko:

• Site Administrator
That's very true.

However, I'm still trying to figure out why so many Christmas lights carry the warning: For indoor or outdoor use ONLY. :wacko:

I thought that was obvious. You can only use them indoors or outdoors -- not both at the same time.

The other possibility was that they were saying that they weren't for internal use, but I decided I didn't want to go there....

I thought that was obvious. You can only use them indoors or outdoors -- not both at the same time.

The other possibility was that they were saying that they weren't for internal use, but I decided I didn't want to go there....

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!! Well, I suppose the internal use might be ok, if you were really serious about adding more roughage to your diet. :funny:

• Site Administrator

There's an article in todays Sydney Morning Herald on wacky warnings. The last part of the article is:

Winning entries in the 10th annual Wacky Warning Label Contest, sponsored by the advocacy group Michigan Lawsuit Abuse Watch:

- "DO NOT put any person in this washer," from a tag on a front-loading washing machine. First place.

- "Never use a lit match or open flame to check fuel level," from a label on a personal watercraft. Second place.

- "Do not iron," from a Super Lotto ticket. Tied for third place.

- "Don't try to dry your phone in a microwave oven," from a mobile phone. Tied for third place.

- "Please do not use this directory while operating a moving vehicle," from the cover of a phone directory. Honourable mention.

There's an article in todays Sydney Morning Herald on wacky warnings. The last part of the article is:

Winning entries in the 10th annual Wacky Warning Label Contest, sponsored by the advocacy group Michigan Lawsuit Abuse Watch:

- "DO NOT put any person in this washer," from a tag on a front-loading washing machine. First place.

- "Never use a lit match or open flame to check fuel level," from a label on a personal watercraft. Second place.

- "Do not iron," from a Super Lotto ticket. Tied for third place.

- "Don't try to dry your phone in a microwave oven," from a mobile phone. Tied for third place.

- "Please do not use this directory while operating a moving vehicle," from the cover of a phone directory. Honourable mention.

ACK.

I wonder if all weather balloons should carry a warning: Do not attach to a lawnchair to fly yourself, and your case of beer, into a busy air corridor?

Lawn Chair Larry.

As Larry said: "A man can't just sit around."

...on Peanut M&M's, they have a warning on the back, "Warning: May contain nut products" or something along this lines. I mean, I know that some people are alergic and so a forewarning that there are nuts in it must be put there for legal reasons, but wouldn't one assume that PEANUT M&M's is a warning enough? I mean, it's not like they're going to call them peanut M&Ms and then not put peanuts in them. :lol:

:unsure: Uhh...are you serious?

Actually, peanuts are not nuts, they're legumes. This is from Wikipedia:

An allergy to peanuts is different than an allergy to nuts. I know because I have a friend at school who is highly allergic to peanuts, but not to tree nuts like walnuts or almonds.

Colin :boy:

I'm sure lots of you have seen this sign like this. Our neighbors across the street have a pool. On their side gate they have a sign that says:

We don't swim in your toilet.

Please don't pee in our pool.

It's yellow on a blue background. Very funny!

• Site Administrator
I'm sure lots of you have seen this sign like this. Our neighbors across the street have a pool. On their side gate they have a sign that says:

We don't swim in your toilet.

Please don't pee in our pool.

It's yellow on a blue background. Very funny!

I've seen that one at public swimming pools here in Australia :D

• 3 weeks later...