Jump to content

Carême in Brighton — a mystery novel 1. Novels

   (6 reviews)
400 dpi part cover.jpg

Times of environmental disaster, political upheaval and endless wars . . . . 1816 is relevant to the world we find ourselves navigating today. Antonin Carême, the world’s greatest celebrity chef — with his rockstar salary and good looks — heads to an open-ended engagement at the Prince Regent’s seaside home. What, though, are his true motivations for going? What about all the deaths and attempted killings unfolding at the Pavilion while he’s there? Who is this mysterious doctor who draws him into the investigations?

 

Copyright © 2022 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (11 members)

  • Action Packed 9
  • Addictive/Pacing 7
  • Characters 10
  • Chills 3
  • Cliffhanger 6
  • Compelling 10
  • Feel-Good 2
  • Humor 2
  • Smoldering 7
  • Tearjerker 8
  • Unique 11
  • World Building 3

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

drsawzall

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

Well a mystery within another series of mysteries, and then add few more ingredients to the stew pot, toss in a side of snit, a gout addled corpulent regent, a bit of jealousy, trousers, arsenic sans old lace, an old friend, Irish conspirators, family left behind, and another behind not left behind, and one has to wonder what could possibly go wrong/right.

Oh BTW...lest we not forget the food!!!

We are so lucky here on GA to have authors who take the time to create tales such as this for our enjoyment!!

I'm sure you will find this as enjoyable as I and many others have!!

Response from the author:

Thank you. You make it all sound so simple devilishly complex :) But in all seriousness, I'm happy to know you enjoyed reading it. Thanks again

  • Like 2
  • Love 4
Link to review
Doha

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

An intriguing storyline well-crafted and beautifully written, Careme in Brighton tells the tale of a chef, a lover and a secret agent. 

Several love interests, both genuine and contrived, add a racey element to the lives of our main characters, who burst with life.

Weaving history and fiction seamlessly, AC Benus has created a masterful account of a little known historical figure as well as shedding light on historical figures whom we already know. 

This is a story well-written and a jolly good read.

 

Response from the author:

Thank you! As I have mentioned here and there, I figured this book would attract few readers, and consequently, I just focused on writing the kind of book I'd enjoy reading. That others "get it" is a tremendous relief (and surprise). Thanks again!   

  • Like 1
  • Love 5
Link to review
raven1

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Carême in Brighton is one of the most cleverly woven stories on GA. It is a most delightful and enjoyable read. A historical mystery based on real life characters and situations, it is a powerful tale of the times told from a unique point of view.  It is well researched and the characters are very true to the real people they are based upon. This comment may make you think it is an educational book, but that would be selling it way too short.  It is filled with humor and horror, mysteries and murder, love and and betrayal.  It is a fascinating trip to the past.  It is also a feast for the senses.  The characters are so easy to identify with and the only true protagonist is the society and times against which the characters try to survive. AC Benus is one of the best authors on GA, and I know you will love this book. 

Response from the author:

Thank you! You do me a great honor by praising me so highly. I wonder if you have read my Bound & Bound . . . ? You may enjoy that novel as well. Thanks again!

  • Like 2
  • Love 4
Link to review
ObicanDecko

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

I had no idea what to expect when I first found this story, but the summary drew my attention since I enjoy murder mysteries (and mysteries in general). 

However, Careme in Brighton is much more than that. It's a wonderful piece of historical fiction that transports us back in the 19th century England during the reign of Prince Regent George, as we follow the adventures of famous French chef Antonin Careme. 

Chapter after chapter, I am constantly amazed by the author's ability to bring the characters and the setting of that era to life, with detailed descriptions of the meals, architecture and different social classes of the time. Not to mention all of the illustrations and photos provided at the end of each chapter. 

All in all, this is a truly remarkable read, and I will definitely be coming back to it!

Response from the author:

Thank you for your ringing endorsement! In my novels, I like to explore genres, remaining faithful to their particular structure, but create 'new' versions that push readers expectations. I like to be radical in well-trodden areas in which I can stand out as unique. 

Thanks again for your support!  

  • Love 4
Link to review
chris191070

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Careme in Brighton is a wonderfully crafted tale.

What more could you want in a story, you have a chef, his lover and a murder.

Throw this into the cooking pot, stir it up and you have a fantastic story full of humour, love and a wonderful murder mystery.

You get to learn some fantastic history about The Brighton Pavillion and read about some truly wonderful food.

A Beautiful Story that comes highly recommended.

Response from the author:

Thank you! Not many have mentioned the humor of this book, and it is a bit subsurface to all the intrigue, but I think the humorous moments come out as they do in real life -- spontaneously and unexpected. Thanks again! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to review
Gary L

· Edited by Gary L

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

“Tragedy ever seems to hound the tracks of dishonest men; more so, the more personal they are in their deceptions, the nearer his heels he brings the torments of Hell for others.

So too appears the fate of individuals against the backdrop of Nations and their radicals. For if any noble soul could be trusted to execute the dire plans of those who would terrorize, not one of us is safe from being made radical?”

forgive a long quotation but this seems such a classically inspired introduction to the last chapter to an early 18th-century novel.  What we have here is an truly intricate work of art: spies rubbing shoulders with gods of culinary delight; courtiers who are not what they seem, or are they; and set in the decadence of post-Regency England with its larger than life sybaritic son to be King George IV.  all is held together by the person of Carême, who arrives in a chaotic Brighton to serve the most demanding royal patron.  
hugely recommended, be prepared to reread, leave a while but always come back for more. 
Many congratulations @AC Benus

   

 

Response from the author:

Thank you, Gary L! Unlike my other five novels, this one bogged down in circumstance and took nearly three years of my life to complete. By the end of the writing process, I was sure I was creating it for no one but myself: a guaranteed flop.

Although one well- listened to and read authority on this site referred to the book as nothing but a string of menus, unworthy of praise or even mention (and wrote this opinion on a GA forum), I was surprised to discover others truly enjoyed it.

This is a very special work in my heart, and it's a blessing to know others think "it works." Thanks for reading and showing your support all along, Gary. It means a great deal to me

  • Love 2
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..