Jump to content

On the Grass

   (9 reviews)
Genres: General Fiction
Sub-genres: Drama

An itinerant photographer stops by the one town he’s avoided for the last twenty years. What is it he hopes to encounter there? What is this ‘one last thing’ he feels he has to do?

 

Copyright © 2022 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (11 members)

  • Action Packed 0
  • Addictive/Pacing 7
  • Characters 11
  • Chills 3
  • Cliffhanger 0
  • Compelling 11
  • Feel-Good 6
  • Humor 3
  • Smoldering 1
  • Tearjerker 4
  • Unique 10
  • World Building 5

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

raven1

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

On the Grass is a beautifully told story of life, death, love and loyalty set in historical times.  A C Benus has created a beautiful world both colorful and sensuous.  Malden is a runaway boy that is rescued by Old Man Clackson and taught the trade of an itinerant photographer.  He falls in love, but life is not always kind.  He continues on and when he retires he again experiences the greatness of life and love.  A great read and introduction to the beautiful, skillful and well researched stories that A C Benus creates.

Response from the author:

Thank you, raven1. I appreciate your beta-reading this short story. I don't know if you noticed, but several of your comments and observation resulted in changes to the text. Your feedback was great, and helped me hone in on what I needed to achieve in several critical areas.

Thanks again!

  • Love 6
Link to review
Headstall

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

If you like historical fiction, do yourself a favor and give this substantial short story a read. AC does a great job with the 'feel' and dialect of the time period, and the result is satisfying. Cheers!

Response from the author:

Thanks for your kind support, Gary. It's greatly appreciated

  • Love 7
Link to review
W_L

· Edited by W_L

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

This story is very interesting, set during the late 19th and early 20th century United States with a backdrop that is rich with culture and well-researched details by @AC Benus. You can tell the author dedicated his time and efforts to craft this tale. This story is something I think fans of historical fiction should read.

Response from the author:

Thank you, W_L, for your generous recommendation. Writing isn't easy, so it's always rewarding to hear a person's efforts resonate with readers. 

Thanks again!

  • Love 7
Link to review
drsawzall

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

An incredible story of love in all its forms in an historical setting spanning the late 1800's  and early 1900's. We follow the life of Malden, an itinerant photographer as he narrates the story of his life.

Superbly written, descriptive with an engaging plot, this is bound to entertain you and give you much to think over! 

Response from the author:

Thank you, drsawzall! You give an excellent description of the story and what a reader may encounter (and feel!). I appreciate the encouragement and glad you could stop by and read this tale of two Mitten summers :)

Thanks again!

  • Love 5
Link to review
Parker Owens

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

AC Benus has written an historical tale that immerses the reader within the first few lines. It has an ageless feel, yet his writing makes us feel present and allows us to see the world as the characters did all those years ago. Take the time to read this story - it's worth every moment.

Response from the author:

Thank you, Parker, for your help along the way. You beta-read the story after several of raven1's comments resulted in changes, and confirmed the story at that point was pretty much doing what I wanted it to do with readers. As always, I appreciate your help and support.

Thanks again!

  • Love 7
Link to review
Mancunian

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

A brilliant and well written story by a skilful author. You don't just read this story as it's a story that takes you on a journey, you can almost feel it. I recommend that you read and enjoy.

Response from the author:

Thank you, Mancunian, for your warm encouragement. I'm glad you read the story and enjoyed it for what it offers. I always appreciate feedback, and yours has been amazing.

Thanks again!

  • Love 5
Link to review
Timothy M.

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

This is a story which needs to be read slowly and attentively. Partly because there are important details and subtle hints, which - if missed due to a hurried pace of reading - will lessen the potential enjoyment and appreciation of this superbly crafted tale. Partly - and more importantly - because the story itself can evoke emotions and thoughts about both the past and the present. Especially of how love is always beautiful and rewarding, even if thwarted and not accepted by the rigid rules of religion and society. As penned by Tennyson: ''Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all.'

I will not list all the various ways you may enjoy this tale, but let you discover them for yourself. Except for one matter, which only struck me after a while: all the main characters in the story were someone I could like and emphasize with - even if we don't meet them directly. The not so nice people are kept at a distance, with only indirect influence, even the grumpy grandmother :) . I wonder if this was on purpose, but it sure was delightful.

Response from the author:

Thank you, Tim, for your warm review! You provided me excellent feedback during the editing process and helped improve the tale in many ways. You are always generous with your time and experience. 

Thanks a million!

  • Love 4
Link to review
chris191070

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

A truly beautiful story that packs a punch, but we are treated to a fantastic journey into American History in the early 20th Century.

A great read.

Response from the author:

Thanks for reading, Chris, and for taking the time to recommend the story to others.

You're the best!

  • Love 4
Link to review
Gary L

· Edited by Gary L

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

I’m not sure how I missing this wonderful piece last year but, better late than never.

Those of you who have been members of the GA family for many years more than me, will not be surprised by the quality of this writing.  AC Benus has been a stalwart writer and a jewel.  This piece is evidence enough.

”Returning.” How powerful a verb to evoke the reader’s own memories as we follow our hero in his horse and cart during twenty long years as he finally gets the courage to return and find healing.

I have reviewed many stories here and read hundreds more. Some are fun, others romantic. Some are raunchy others sad. But this is possibly, for me, one of the most beautiful and thoughtful pieces on the site.

A magnificent piece of English literature.  

Response from the author:

Thanks, Gary L. To your first point, it's never too late! To the rest, I can only say thank you. Writing is a lonely occupation, one filled with eternal questions of being "good enough". Support is a wonderful thing to give anyone who sets out on this lonesome road, and I thank you once more

  • Love 2
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..