Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Many chapters contain brutal violence.

The Mantis Equilibrium - Book Two - 11. Chapter 11 Vion, Part Three

A short chapter.

As the evening’s early winter sunset began to steal the light from Teshon City, the Principal Messiah was with Vion and his two lieutenants in front of the west dormitory. They huddled together in the glow of a single lamp surrounded by the oncoming darkness.

“Since the bodies inside,” the Principal Messiah declared, “are in the same three conditions as the first murder scene, I presume that we are dealing with a trio of very powerful Shifts who are going around and murdering our brethren without cause.”

Vion kept his cynical snickered to himself. In his mind, the cause for these Shifts’ actions was not up for debate. He would not have hesitated to murder every single Shift in Teshon City, and he could understand that some of them might have similar feelings about Messiahs, but he did not interrupt his superior.

“You three will spend the night examining the crime scene while it is fresh, but an example needs to be made,” the woman continued, “and it needs to be made in Gate Town. I will not stand to have our authority questioned or resisted, nor will I be satisfied until we have access to every part of the city and each inhabitant. No angry mob will stop us.”

She pointed at Vion and the two inquisitors. “You, my holy Truth Seekers, will go find where these murderous Shifts are hiding, and if you cannot bring them to face my judgment, I expect you to end them outright.”

“It shall be done, milady,” Vion replied.

The Principal Messiah smiled. “Tomorrow night, you three will rein vengeance on our sworn enemies.”

The actions of the Bio-shifts are leading to severe consequences.
Copyright © 2023 Adam Andrews Johnson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Wow 4
  • Sad 1
Thank you for sticking with my crazy story!
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

The new Principal Messiah is falling into the same hubris which killed her predessor. This will only create more blowback.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Vion showed the bodies of the killed messiah's to the principal messiah. He was authorized to seek vengeance and make an example that would impress and scare the shifts. Unless he kills the real culprits, Vion's actions will be ineffective and cause the shifts to retaliate, I expect. Only death and pain and great anger will result. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

It might be a worthwhile reminder to go back to the first chapter of the first book in this series if you want to see the evil that the Messiah's are/perpetuate.

To not react or fight back and eliminate the threat  the Messiah's poise would mean more of  your fellow citizens and friends would face subjugation until the Messiah's are eliminated  and as the following attests to...

“An example needs to be made,” the woman continued, “and it needs to be made in Gate Town. I will not stand to have our authority questioned or resisted, nor will I be satisfied until we have access to every part of the city and each inhabitant. No angry mob will stop us.”

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
2 hours ago, drsawzall said:

It might be a worthwhile reminder to go back to the first chapter of the first book in this series if you want to see the evil that the Messiah's are/perpetuate.

To not react or fight back and eliminate the threat  the Messiah's poise would mean more of  your fellow citizens and friends would face subjugation until the Messiah's are eliminated  and as the following attests to...

“An example needs to be made,” the woman continued, “and it needs to be made in Gate Town. I will not stand to have our authority questioned or resisted, nor will I be satisfied until we have access to every part of the city and each inhabitant. No angry mob will stop us.”

It's curious the Messiahs have established such high opinions of themselves. Their powers are limited to strength and semi-invincablity. If we place it in an ancient context, the Messiahs would only rank as demigods in the nature of Hercules or Achilles and the Shifts have godlike powers like those of Zeus or Apollo.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..