Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Many chapters contain brutal violence.

The Mantis Equilibrium - Book Two - 15. Chapter 15 - Confronting Disaster

Our vigilantes return to Gate Town.

The winter dawn began to illuminate through a gap in the clouds on the eastern horizon. Its light shimmered across the sea. The rest of the sky was overcast.

Gawa, Eroli, and S’Kay made their way along dark alleys and kept to the shadows where they could. The heavy cloaks that they wore helped conceal each of their unique appearances and prevented them from attracting attention to themselves. They approached the entrance to Gate Town, rounded a corner, and were startled to see an ominous orange glow on the underside of the clouds above the neighborhood. The trio grew closer, and then they saw the flames.

“This is our fault,” Eroli declared.

“None of us,” S’Kay spat, “will be taking credit or blame for the actions of Messiahs. There was never any question that what we are doing would result in consequences. We could not have known what the Messiahs would do, but you can’t tell me that you didn’t anticipate violence.”

“The worse they are,” Gawa added, “the more likely people will join our cause.”

“But I thought you said that we won’t be adding anyone else to our group.” Eroli looked at them both with an appalled expression. “We’re not doing this again, are we?”

They approached a group of people who were trying to put out the flames of a burning building.

“We absolutely are,” S’Kay replied under her breath. “We’ve taken out 27 Messiahs, but through all time, how many of our kind have been slaughtered? And now, they’ve retaliated against civilians who were not involved. The Messiahs have made themselves the enemies of Teshon City.”

“We need to strike again,” Gawa concurred.

S’Kay ruffled her feathers. “I’ve got another idea of what we attack.”

“What, not who?” Gawa asked.

They approached several more people who were standing next to a row of sheet-covered bundles that were stretched out on the pavement.

“Those are bodies,” Eroli whispered, as they passed.

“Of course they’re bodies,” S’Kay responded.

“Each one of those people’re dead because of us.”

S’Kay stopped walking, pushed Eroli up against a wall, and grabbed him by the cloak. “Keep it together,” she growled. “The Messiahs have their own corpses that they’re dealing with, but if you’re feeling guilty, why don’t you help one of these groups with the fires or injured.”

A voice rang out on a side street, and the three looked in its direction.

“If anyone would like to volunteer for our new neighborhood watch, please come and sign up at the podium.”

“You can join them,” S’Kay said to Eroli, “but make no mistake, we have started a war. This is only the beginning.”

The three of them turned down a side street.

“Sunset tonight, in the underground,” S’Kay stated to them.

“No, it’s too soon,” Eroli retorted. “The Messiahs will be on high alert.”

S’Kay simply repeated herself. “Sunset, tonight, the underground.”

“I’m in,” Gawa declared.

Eroli gave the two women an uncertain nod★

What are they up to now?
Copyright © 2023 Adam Andrews Johnson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 4
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 1
Thank you for sticking with my crazy story!
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

S'Kay has become a fanatic and Gawa is an eager follower. She's headed on a reckless path. Despite their luck so far, they've left clues behind in the method of deaths and the Messiahs know they are dealing with a group of three. Just being seen moving around together will be dangerous for them and unwitting innocents. Eroli is the only one with a modicum of conscience or caution.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

The unholy three shifts are intending to attack the messiahs again in retribution for the killings and fires in Gate Town. S'Kay is the aggressive ringleader.

But, they may be in trouble. They have not gained any followers to aid their attacks so far. The messiahs are on alert and will be looking for three shifts with distinctive ways of killing. Will the three trip up and be found out while still causing many more deaths?  Perhaps if at least S'Kay is stopped, the killing cycle might end.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment

I agree with @drpaladin that S'kay has become a fanatic, in a way they all are; but I disagree with @scrubber6620 that her death would stop Gawa; I think it would just make her more determined.  Eroli is the only one that seems to be developing a big picture, but I fear that his reluctance to step away may make things worse.  Where is Tuala?  Does he just come and go; has he backed away from this venture?

The neighborhood watch is a good start; but no regular human could really stop or stand up to the Messiahs.  And S'kay is right in one regard; the attack by the Messiahs was so generalized that it will turn the humans and more of the shifts and bio-shifts against them.

Have to wonder "what" there target will be; how do their powers effect things other than flesh?

  • Like 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

It's past time to organize, and once they do eliminate those who won't change their ways and exile the others if need be.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..