Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Many chapters contain brutal violence.

The Mantis Equilibrium - Book Two - 16. Chapter 16 - Dozi & Ilya

Dozi and Ilya join a group of volunteers who are helping in Gate Town after the Messiah attack.

As the rising sun glittered on the ocean, Dozi made her way with Ilya and Tchama into Gate Town. The city’s emergency bells rang for over an hour, but now it was quiet. Entering the quiet neighborhood to the sounds of crackling fires was eerie. A few structures were still smoking but no longer in flames, and a group of people was almost in control of another burning building.

Down a side street, they heard a voice call out to the gathered crowd. A woman was standing at a podium.

“Gate Town needs protection, and I propose that we organize defensive squads to patrol the perimeter, and in particular, the border to Shifton.”

Dozi, Ilya, and Tchama stopped to listen.

“We are here to establish the first neighborhood watch,” the woman continued.

Tchama pulled Dozi and Ilya’s jacket sleeves and said in a whiny voice, “I really want to check up on Ninyani.”

“Go ahead,” Dozi replied.

“Yeah, we can just meet you at home later,” Ilya added.

Tchama ran off towards the mystic’s house, and the woman at the podium continued.

“I know that some of you are ex-Messiahs, and if any of you would be willing to volunteer, we could use your strength along the border. We feel that a group of mostly Shifts and Bio-Shifts should make up the squads that patrol the entrance to Shifton, but whoever else wants to join is welcome. If anyone would like to volunteer for our new neighborhood watch, please come and sign up at the podium.”

The woman kept speaking, but Dozi turned to Ilya and said, “I’m joining.”

Ilya looked both surprised and impressed. “Really?” she asked. “Do I sense a little of Agrell’s nobility coming out in you?”

Dozi rolled her eyes. “Are you coming, too, or what?”

“Oh, you know I’ll join,” Ilya replied.

They stepped up and added their names to the growing list.

The woman at the podium began directing people. “We need help putting out fires and assisting with the injured during the day, and tonight, we will need patrols for the streets.”

Dozi and Ilya spent the morning helping however they could. When they were hungry, they stopped by the mystic’s house, and he was thrilled to make them lunch before sending them back out to do their part. Tchama remained with Ninyani.

Dozi and Ilya stayed in Gate Town the rest of the day, helping the residents of the devastated neighborhood. At sundown, it turned out that several chefs worked together to prepare a large dinner for all the volunteers, and everyone ate enthusiastically.

It was late in the evening when Dozi and Ilya finally returned home. They filled the tub and enjoyed a long, hot soak. Each ate a meat pie, and they were unconscious the moment their heads hit their pillows.

Both of them slept through a terrible crash that came from the other side of the Spritehood

What fell?
Copyright © 2023 Adam Andrews Johnson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 6
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Thank you for sticking with my crazy story!
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Not sure how much help Dozi can provide the watch as a human. Ilya could be very useful as an eye in the sky.

  • Love 5
Link to comment

So glad that both Dozi and Ilya stood up and decided to help with the watch.  Dozi can't really do anything but be a witness and sound the alarm; but she knows the area better than most and I think will be a help.  I am glad that none of the group was hurt; that said; doesn't the mystic and his family along with Ninyani live in Spritehood area?  

I hope that whatever the three extremist did doesn't impact them to badly...

  • Love 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

The broad community outpouring of support to help individuals recover and repair the damages from the attack is so encouraging. Many volunteered to protect and guard their living areas from attacks. Dozi and Illya are actively helping others and ended the day very tired. However, it sounds like a great explosion will shock the area even more. I hope they can keep their sanity in this chaos.

Meanwhile, what have S"Kay and the other bioshifts done or planning to do soon on their plan to get revenge and kill more messiahs? The messiahs will be ready to fight them if they are discovered. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

This is not the end nor the beginning of the end, this is perhaps the end of the beginning...Winston S Churchill

Lets hope they fully organize before acting precipitously, more to the point, what's to become of those who are exiled and have eaten more than one mantis gland.

What happens to Vion  when he ingests a second mantis gland, can, or will he want more???

  • Fingers Crossed 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..