Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Many chapters contain brutal violence.

The Mantis Equilibrium - Book Two - 21. Chapter 21 - Dozi, Ilya, & Tchama

Dozi and Ilya head to Gate Town, and Tchama goes to Auntie Peg's house.

“Dozi, wake up,” whispered a voice.

Dozi sat up with a start.

Tchama was kneeling beside her bed, right in front of Dozi’s face.

“I’m sorry to wake you,” Tchama said quickly, “but the Shifton neighborhood watch needs volunteers right now! The Messiahs are back, and they are threatening violence, but there’s a huge crowd standing against them. The night’s watch is leading the resistance, and they want whoever else they can get.”

Dozi looked over at Ilya. She was already awake and rubbing her eyes, trying to pep herself up.

The two of them spent a second entire day aiding the people in Gate Town, and they were both exhausted. They made it home by sundown, but it was still early in the night.

“I’m sorry,” Tchama repeated. “I know that you haven’t gotten much sleep.”

“No, it’s okay,” Dozi mumbled.

“Yeah,” Ilya agreed, she yawned and added, “we need to do what we can.”

“I’m going to go check on Ninyani,” Tchama told them, “and I’ll meet you with the resistance afterward. He stayed with Peggy last night after the show, and he’s been with her all day today. She’s keeping him hidden while this chaos is going down in Gate Town.”

Dozi nodded, and a moment later, Tchama was up the stairs and gone.

“I wonder when how near to sunrise it is,” Ilya said in a groggy tone. “I don’t think we got nearly enough sleep.”

“Agreed, but I think the sun only set a few hours ago,” Dozi replied. “There’s a lot of night left, but what we’re doing in Gate Town is important. Let’s go.”

They headed out and made their way across the city.

“Why didn’t we go with Tchama to see Peggy first, and then all three of us go together?” Ilya asked.

“Because the watch needs people now. I get it that she’s worried about Ninyani. She’ll be along soon.”

A few minutes later, they could again see fires burning and hear shouting voices. They crept down a side street and snuck into the neighborhood towards a crowd of people that included several Biological Shifts. Everyone was chanting for the Messiahs to keep out of Gate Town.

Across the street, a vicious group opposed them, and the indistinguishable noise of too many yelling voices caused a cacophony beneath the dark sky.

Dozi and Ilya took their place among the protesters.

“Fuck you, Messiahs!” Dozi jeered.

Ilya looked at her, impressed.

The Messiahs menaced and threatened, but they held their position against the much larger and unquestionably powerful group that resisted them. Even the simple act itself of being resisted caused the Messiahs to boil up into a rage, but still, they did not attack.

The noisy stalemate lingered in the powder keg city, as minutes stretch towards an hour, and then two.

Dark was the night, and there were still many hours until dawn

Are things about to get worse?
Copyright © 2023 Adam Andrews Johnson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 5
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Thank you for sticking with my crazy story!
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Tensions are growing. This can only get bigger because the Principal Messiah is so megalomanic and ruthless.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Late at night by burning building the shifts and others are resisting the messiah's who have a smaller number of attackers. But the situation is tense, Dozi and Illya with little sleep have joined the larger resisting crowd.  Tchama is joining soon. It is a self-described powder keg ready to blow. Just one too angry  person on one side could unleash a spark by hitting someone on the other side and start the fighting. It would be surprising if the calm prevailed for long. The destruction of the messiah warehouse has provoked the messiahs.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Glad to see that Dozi and Ilya have gone to support Gate Town.  Tchama has gone to check on Ninyani but since he is with Aunt Peg, have to hope he is safe.  Wonder how many know about Aunt Peg's past?

Being sleepy, tired, and unsettled is never a good combination.  When you are tired, the decisions you make can be made in error.  I wonder if the Messiahs did not show up at night to cause just that reaction and hope that catching people tired and still recovering from the fire so they would not think rationally.

This is just going to get worse...

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

My gut feeling is that the Messiah's will retrench for the night, to better plan and understand what is facing them...Conversely, it is time for the residents of the town to realize that they need to organize!!!

Why do I get the feeling that Ninyani might be a secret weapon...

  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..