Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Many chapters contain brutal violence.

The Mantis Equilibrium - Book Two - 25. Chapter 25 - Dozi

Dozi realized quickly that she could do nothing in the battle.

Dozi ran through the Shifton streets away from the violence in Gate Town. She abandoned the battle as soon as the fighting began. Her pulse raced, and her breathing was shallow. Tears streamed down her cheeks from the shock of it all. She did not want to die.

“Fucking Messiahs,” she growled between her panting breaths.

At the start of the chaos, a giant chunk of masonry soared through the air and smashed into a man who was standing beside Dozi, crushing him like an insect. Speckles of his blood now decorated her shoes with their gory hue.

In the distance, she could still hear the confrontation. The screams and cries of the injured and dying rang out, punctuated by the strange sounds that accompanied each unique energy fired from the different Shifts who were involved in the battle.

Dozi did not know where she was running. The mystic’s house was closest and she headed there, even though more than anything, she wanted to be safe in her secret basement home.

A crowd of people who were also fleeing the battle came barreling out from another street.

Dozi ducked down an alley to avoid drawing attention to herself, and she looked back to see if they were running from an immediate threat.

A horrible, axe-wielding, brute of a man came charging behind them. He swung his weapon down on one person, cutting them from neck to navel, and the mutilated body opened like some sort of twisted flower. The dead man’s head lolled to one side and the corpse slumped to the pavement. The Messiah then swept his axe up like a volcano erupting. His huge curved blade gouged into a woman’s torso, and her entire body lifted into the air. Her chest ruptured, and her ribs burst forth from the gash. She was dead before her body hit the ground.

Dozi was horrified, but she could not peel her eyes away from the violence.

Suddenly, a gigantic woman stepped out from a side street behind the Messiah. She grabbed the man by his head, and he tried to swing his weapon at her, but she snatched it from him. The axe looked like a toy in her huge hand. The giantess roared at him, thrust his weapon into his chest, and she twisted it in his flesh. Then the giantess pulled on his head and ripped it from his body. His spine remained attached to his skull, and the massive woman used it like a whip. She slashed with his empowered spine at the other Messiahs, and it bit into their flesh.

Expecting to be unharmed by mere chunks of bone, two Messiah women charged the enormous Biological Shift, but her makeshift weapon caught one of them and then the other. The spine ripped into them and tore huge chunks from their torsos. They both screamed in agony that they could not have possibly imagined.

In the alleyway, Dozi was overwhelmed by everything she witnessed, and she vomited hard onto the pavement. Her head was spinning, but as the violence moved away from her hiding place, she pushed herself onwards and finally came to the mystic’s house. The door was locked, but she snuck around the back and sat alone while she tried to gain composure of herself. Her eyes were still streaming with tears

Dozi did not know how long she sat alone, but she was far enough away from the battle that she could no longer hear it. With the sunrise slowly illuminating the world, there was a knock on the front door. Dozi got up and crept back around the house.

Ilya!” she cried out when she saw who it was. Dozi ran up to her, and they wrapped their arms around each other. “Are you okay?!”

“The fighting is over,” Ilya replied. She whispered. “It was terrible. Are you by yourself? Have you seen Tchama or Lahari or anyone?”

“No, I’m the only one here,” Dozi replied. “I’ve been hiding out in the back this whole time. Once people started dying, I just ran.”

“You made the right decision,” Ilya responded. “There are apparently still some lone Messiahs roaming the streets, so a bunch of Shifts and people are out looking for them.”

The shrieking of a nearby woman then pierced the quiet of the early morning.

“Help me! Help!” and her voice screamed in pain.

“Is that?” Dozi asked, and she and Ilya raced in the direction of the cries.

“Please, no. Please, no,” Ilya started repeating to herself.

A chilly drizzle began to fall on the city, as the two women rounded the corner, and their worst fears in that moment turned out to be true

Who was screaming?
Copyright © 2023 Adam Andrews Johnson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Wow 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 2
Thank you for sticking with my crazy story!
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Dozi wisely fled the battle as it started but she could not get away from the gruesome killing. Eventually she hid behind the mystics' house.

Illya found her but they heard screaming in terror. They ran toward the sounds fearfully. A friend is being hurt. Was it Tchama ? Can anything be done to save their friend?

  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Neither Dozi nor Ilya are suited to battle Messiahs. I'm afraid the screams are Tchama's.

  • Wow 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment

Oh dear, I am afraid that either Tchama or Lahari have been caught up in this.  Tchama would not be able to defend herself much at all, let's hope it isn't her...

  • Fingers Crossed 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..