Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Many chapters contain brutal violence.

The Mantis Equilibrium - Book Two - 29. Chapter 29 - Alone

The four Bio-Shifts are separated.

Lahari found herself at the edge of the airfield.

Eroli skirted along the coast at the tip of the peninsula and headed north towards the old airstrip.

S’Kay slipped through the streets to the peninsula’s southern edge. She followed it west all the way past the industrial district and then turned north towards Gate Town.

Gawa ended up near the old Oselian barracks and did not recognize the area. She ducked down an alley, grabbed a tarp from a pile of garbage, and wrapped herself in it to hide her unique appearance. Voices came from the main street, and Gawa waited. A group of people headed by in mid-discussion. She could not tell what they were talking about, and they were soon gone. Gawa did not like her unfamiliarity with this region, and she moved with haste along a dark street. When she rounded a corner, she crashed into a group of two men and a woman huddled together.

“What the fuck is that?” one of the men barked.

Gawa pushed herself away from the trio, but the other man grabbed the tarp and yanked it from her.

“It’s a fucking monster!” he shouted.

“Get the fuck away from us!” screamed the only woman in the group.

You get the fuck away from me!” Gawa screamed back.

“Oh, no you don’t!” snapped the first man, and he reached for her wrist. “We’re gonna get rich off this Shift’s mantis gland!”

Gawa delved deep into her powers, and the lavender lightning that obeyed her commands lashed out as the man’s fingertips came into contact with her marble-rippled skin. Gawa’s electricity exploded from her, and the man’s body was scorched to a cinder before his companion’s eyes.

The woman reached out for him, and the other man yelled, “No!” He grasped her wrist to pull her away, but Gawa’s powers chained into the woman’s touch and leapt from the first man, pouring into the other two.

The three were dead in an instant.

Gawa ran, leaving the scorched bodies in the street. After only a moment, she arrived at a dead-end with a high wall, but it was the wall that bordered Gate Town. She turned back and followed another street, trying to make her way with the wall in view. Gawa did not encounter any other people in the darkness, and a moment later, she slipped into Gate Town. Several streets farther, she ducked into Red Raven’s and took a seat at a lonely corner table to wait for the others; there was more work to be done.

Gawa was dazed and sat trying to catch her breath.

Then an old barmaid stepped up and asked her, “What’ll it be, dear?”

Back outside, on the southern edge of the peninsula, S’Kay crept along the waterline below the natural topographical rise of the land. During the day, many folks fished from the area, but it was quiet now save for the sounds of the sea.

Through a momentary break in the clouds, the moon’s light shined down upon S’Kay, and she noticed that her feather-like protrusions appeared slightly off-color. She shook herself, ruffling them, and a fine cloud of dust lifted from her limbs and torso.

We made quite a mess, she thought to herself.

S’Kay continued along the waterfront and soon came to the wall that bordered Gate Town. Instead of following it, she passed beyond the wall and made her way along the edge of the Grey Shallows under the old Oselian gates. The rise of the land where the immovable gate stood cast a dark shadow over S’Kay’s path.

After a short while, her trail connected with a level region at the very eastern edge of the city’s outskirts. S’Kay turned north, entered Gate Town from the outside, and headed towards Red Raven’s.

At the eastern tip of the peninsula, Eroli used the same tactic as S’Kay, walking along the water below street level. It took him a while, but eventually and without incident, he reached the airstrip. He made his way towards the underground hideout, but then passed it and climbed up the wall that bordered Gate Town. A few minutes later, he pulled open the door to the tavern.

By running north from her position on the tower, Lahari was the nearest to the old runway, but she found herself surrounded. In her panic at trying to escape the falling building, she inadvertently ended up in a little open square, and people were approaching her from all directions.

“Well, well, well,” one of them sneered, “what have we here?”

“That’s a Bio-Shift, mark my words,” another added.

“You don’t belong here,” said a third, and he pulled a knife from his belt.

A few of the folks feared whatever powers Lahari might possess, and they fled from her unique form in terror. The rest drew closer.

Someone said behind her, “It’s so ugly.”

“But its mantis gland with fetch a pretty bit of coin,” added another.

“Kill it,” one of the men said. “It’s not even human.”

It, Lahari thought with a cynical snicker.

Deep in the core of her being, she activated her cosmic energies. They were as easy for Lahari to access as taking a breath. The passive powers of her black hole-like ability were protective, but she now used them to strike out at those who would do her harm.

She stood still at the center of the square.

The gathered rabble charged at her with weapons drawn and murder in their souls, but Lahari’s vacuum of energy was like an invisible haze. As the attackers got too close, their lifeforce was sucked dry before even reaching her. In an instant, a ring of skeletal bodies lay sprawled in the street around Lahari. Those who were behind and watched their companions fall stopped their attack, and they stepped back from her.

Lahari reached even deeper into her powers, and she screamed aloud, as a wave of life-sucking energy radiated out from her. The onslaught vaporized the already wizened bodies at her feet, and it expanded farther. The force of Lahari’s void-wave hit the rest of the villains, who a moment ago thought to cut her down, and they fell like living corpses to the street.

A moment later she was gone, racing down a dark alley toward the entrance of Gate Town. She was alone, but she was alive

What are their plans after they meet at Red Raven's?
Copyright © 2023 Adam Andrews Johnson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1
Thank you for sticking with my crazy story!
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

This chapter was just a reminder that some humans are just as bad as the Demifae Hunters or Messiahs.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

It is also a reminder that humans can be really stupid. Trying to kill a bio-shift head on results in the death of humans. Humans can be too greedy.

When they all meet at the tavern, they might feel a needs to attack more to be safe or try to find a better place to hide till things quiet down.

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
4 minutes ago, scrubber6620 said:

It is also a reminder that humans can be really stupid. Trying to kill a bio-shift head on results in the death of humans. Humans can be too greedy.

When they all meet at the tavern, they might feel a needs to attack more to be safe or try to find a better place to hide till things quiet down.

 

I'm thinking they'll go for more.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

Hate that the humans are as despicable as the Messiah and some of the shifts and bio-shifts.  I guess the evil within is truly within all.  Perhaps all should be wiped out and life can perhaps begin a new...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

Hate that the humans are as despicable as the Messiah and some of the shifts and bio-shifts.  I guess the evil within is truly within all.  Perhaps all should be wiped out and life can perhaps begin a new...

"Perhaps all should be wiped out..." haha 😅 well, that would make for a serious ending!

  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
4 minutes ago, Adam Andrews Johnson said:

"Perhaps all should be wiped out..." haha 😅 well, that would make for a serious ending!

Isn't practically wiping everyone out the way they ended up with a sparsely populated world stuck in Middle Age development?

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drpaladin said:

Isn't practically wiping everyone out the way they ended up with a sparsely populated world stuck in Middle Age development?

Well-remembered! That is indeed what happened to the world and led to this current dystopia 💀

P.S. I really enjoy how strongly some readers are responding to these chapters! We've seen disappointment, frustration, sadness, even anger at some of my characters and their decisions.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Let's face it everyone, the path they are currently heading on, is a prime example of evolution at work...and if the humans and bio-shifts can't get their shite together and figure how to deal with the dangers they face...together...they won't stand a chance against what's left of the Messiah's and their potential allies such as the principal messiah's brother...that is to say if there isn't any love lost betwixt the two... 

Just where is the principal messiah and Vion???

And...what sort of trouble is going to come out of the Red Ravens Tavern????

  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..