Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Indefensible - 3. Chapter 3

Special thanks to Sharon for editing!!


Indefensible

Chapter 3 – Lying, Crying, and Flying

 

 

A Plateful of Excuses

 

“I won’t be home tonight. I’m staying with Babs so we’ll be able to hit the boutiques early tomorrow. Some new fall lines are being released,” Cassandra was saying as she put the finishing touches on her shoulder length blonde hair, then sprayed on some expensive perfume.

 

Don sighed and rolled onto his back as he watched his wife sitting at her dresser getting ready. We’d all be happier if you spent a little less time fixing your hair and a little more time with Donny and me, Don thought.

 

“That’s nice, dear,” Don said as he swung his legs out of bed and stretched. “How is Barbra?”

 

“She’s fine,” Cassandra said as she selected a purse from the large rack in her closet.

 

“Will you be able to make it to the…” Don started.

 

“I’ve got to go, Don. I don’t want to be late.” Cassandra cut him off. Then she gave him a quick almost kiss on the cheek and hurried from the room.

 

 

 

Donny groaned slightly as he got out of bed and stretched, attempting to work out the kinks in his sore muscles. It had been well past 4:00am when Beth had finally awoken and gone home; Donny had enjoyed the extra cuddling time, but it looked like his back and shoulders were paying the price.

 

As he entered the large bathroom which adjoined to his room – in order to attend to his morning business – his thoughts were on Brad. He couldn’t shake the nagging feeling that something was wrong in his friend’s life, something beyond missing his mother.

 

Karen Sarver had died suddenly of an aneurysm the summer before Brad and Donny started high school; everything had changed after Karen’s death. For one thing after her ex-husband Mark, Brad’s father, had sold his condo in the city and bought a large estate on the other side of the community. Brad ended up living only a few blocks from Nicky, whom they would all meet once they started high school.

 

It was several months later – over Christmas break in fact – when Brad had started to develop migraines and extreme dizziness which would keep him in doors for several days at a time. Donny had been overwrought with worry and was extremely upset when Mark refused to let him see Brad. Already, however, Brad was spending less time with the others away from school and Donny didn’t doubt for a minute that Mark was responsible. Donny couldn’t put his finger on it but there was just something off about Mark Sarver beyond just being a strict dad.

 

“Nicky’s the only one who seems to know anything,” Donny muttered contemplatively as he finished brushing his teeth and began to brush his wavy brown hair.

 

As Donny’s thoughts turned to Nicky his frustration and concern only grew. It had been around that same time that Nicky had started to…change.

 

He was depressed and withdrawn when I met him, but after that he was just ANGRY, Donny thought as he turned off the bathroom light and stepped back into his bedroom.

 

I guess he may have had a reason to be though. That was when the rumors started, Donny though as he began to make his bed.

 

When he’d finished making his bed and tidying up the room he set about getting dressed; however, the entire time he was getting ready his thoughts remained on that Christmas almost three years ago. It wasn’t just his concern for his friends which had made that a stressful time for Donny – though that would have certainly been enough. No, unfortunately that also happened to be the first Christmas that his mother had worked at the magazine. Not having her around that much for the holidays had also really gotten to Donny that first year.

 

“I guess none of them have been the same since,” Donny said softly to himself as he checked out his jeans in his full length mirror. Standing there shirtless in just his Abercrombie and Fitch jeans with an intense look on his squared-off, boyish face he could probably have passed for one of the models.

 

With a determined sigh Donny resolved to make things better for all three of the subjects of his morning reverie. With his mind now more at ease he slipped on a dark green polo – which brought out his eyes nicely – and then looked into the mirror once again.

 

“Can’t forget the most important part,” Donny said playfully to his reflection, and with that he put on a warm, happy smile and opened his bedroom door.

 

As Donny stepped into the long hallway and began making his way down the stairs he could already hear the sounds of his father in the kitchen and he knew that breakfast would soon be ready.

 

“Morning, Dad,” Donny said as he walked into the kitchen and retrieved a glass from one of the oak cabinets.

 

“Good morning, Donny,” Don said with a warm smile as he put an arm around his son and pulled him in for a quick half hug.

 

“Whatcha makin?” Donny asked as he opened the refrigerator, removed the orange juice, and poured himself a glass.

 

“Scrambled eggs with cheese,” Don said as he picked up the spatula and stirred the eggs in the pan.

 

“Smells good. Are we still on for Saturday?” Donny asked as he took a seat at the large, round table in the center of the room.

 

“Of course, son,” Don said as he turned and gave Donny a warm smile, “I wouldn’t miss it.”

 

Every year in mid-October, Donny’s community youth group held their annual “community renovation project”. Basically everyone would volunteer their time – and some their money – and spend the weekend fixing up the homes of some of the elderly and less fortunate in the community. Donny and his dad participated every year; however, it had been a couple of years since his mother had attended the event.

 

“Will Mom be there this year?” Donny asked, already knowing the answer.

 

“I’m not sure, buddy. I think she may have plans though.” Don said as he scooped the eggs onto two plates, and then joined Donny at the table.

 

 

 

Talk’s Cheap

 

 

“I don’t think he’s going to tell me,” Donny said with a frown as he took another sip from the bottle of water he was holding.


Lunch had just begun at Eastbrooke and he and Beth had just had time to get their lunches and take them out to their favorite spot – the sidewalk along the North end of campus which provided an excellent view of the common grounds usually occupied by the senior class.

 

“Then we’ll just have to ask Nicky,” Beth said as she began to peel her orange.

 

“Ask Nicky what?” Nicky demanded as he approached the pair from behind Beth’s left side and, walking by her, took his seat on Donny’s right.

 

“Ask me what, Sam?” Nicky asked again this time directing his question to Donny. He knew he was more likely to get a straight answer from Donny than he was from Beth.


”Umm…ohh uhh…” Donny fumbled as he attempted to avoid Nicky’s eyes.

 

“Ask if you’ve seen my bra, Nicky,” Beth interrupted, shifting Nicky’s attention back to herself. “I seem to have lost it,” Beth finished as she shimmied her chest provocatively and winked at Nicky.

 

“No, I haven’t had that particular misfortune. Although, I imagine I’m the only guy at Eastbrooke who hasn’t,” Nicky responded sarcastically.

 

“Well then you’d better be good or I may just have to show you,” Beth said jokingly as she raised her fingers to the top buttons of her white, silk blouse.

 

“Whoa! I’ll shut up, I’ll shut up!” Nicky said raising his hands and letting a mock expression of fear fill his face.

 

Donny sat back passively watching the exchange. Unfortunately however, when he began to giggle Nicky refocused his attention on him.

 

“So what did you really want to ask me?” Nicky once again questioned.

 

“Nicky, have you heard the latest rumors about you?” Beth asked suddenly, once again bailing her boyfriend out with a subject change.

 

“Rumors? What rumors this time?” Nicky asked frowning as he began to unwrap his turkey sandwich.

 

“I heard Gina Carson telling Tammy Darcy that you were on…” Beth trailed off.

 

“On…?” Nicky prodded.

 

“Heroin,” Beth finished as she braced herself for Nicky’s reaction.

 

“Heroin?!? What the fuck? That’s bullshit! I know that prick Steve Kent is behind this.” Nicky raged as his yellowy green eyes flashed with anger and he began surveying the campus, already intent on exacting his revenge.

 

“Yeah, probably. Cool it though, I told them that was a bunch of nonsense.” Beth said soothingly as she tried to calm Nicky down.

 

“Do you think Gina will stop spreading the rumor?” Donny asked.

 

“Oh I think so,” Beth said with a devilish grin. “She seemed eager enough to drop it once I’d hinted that her recent weight gain might cause some people to speculate about a pregnancy.”

 

“Stupid cow!” Nicky said irritably. “Everyone knows she’s just Kent’s dumb fag hag.”

 

“Nicky, be nice.” Donny said soothingly as he finished his lunch and gathered up his trash.

 

“Nice? Fuck you, Mr. Samaritan. I don’t think you’re the one being trashed here. This is such crap! Who would believe this shit anyway?” Nicky ranted with ever growing anger.

 

“Nicky…” Donny started as he gently put his hands on the other boy’s arms to calm him.

 

Nicky angrily pulled away and glared at him.

 

“You know, maybe it’s these long-sleeves that are making this more believable.” Donny said as he lowered his hands while still looking at Nicky’s arms. “I mean you have worn them practically every day since school started.”

 

“Ohh Th…” Nicky started only to be cut off by Beth.

 

“Nah, my guess is it’s the emaciated look and erratic behavior that have people talking,” Beth interjected casually.

 

“Fuck both of you!” Nicky said hostilely, then as he noticed Brad approaching from his right he glared at him and added, “you too, twerp.”

 

“Hi guys” Brad said quietly as he took a seat between Nicky and Donny.

 

“Hey man” Donny said with a warm smile as he patted Brad’s shoulder, then with concern he asked, “are you ok? It looked like you were limping a little when you walked up.”

 

“Ohh, uh…yeah I’m fine. I just um, slipped and fell off the steps in front of school this morning. I guess I hurt my knee a little. You know what a klutz I am.” Brad said nervously as he looked anywhere but at Donny.

 

“You slipped? On what? Have you been to the school nurse? Let me see it.” Donny questioned as he grabbed the cuff of Brad’s pant leg and started trying to push it up.

 

“No, um…really I…I’m fine. It’ll be good as new in a couple days.” Brad said nervously as he pulled his leg away and shifted further back from Donny, bumping into Nicky in the process.

 

“Brad, if you hurt your knee you really ought to…” Beth started to say with concern.

 

“Geez! What’s with the 3rd degree? The little dipshit fell. Lay off him already.” Nicky said defensively as he leaned past Brad and glared at Donny and Beth.

 

Donny and Beth exchanged glances and shrugged.

 

“Sorry, Brad” Donny said gently patting his friend’s leg.

 

“Yeah, me too” Beth said with an apologetic smile.

 

“Well, well, what have we here?” Nicky asked as he elbowed Brad in the ribs and nodded toward Tyler Mitchell, who was walking toward them with his eyes focused on Brad.

 

“Hey, Brad!” Tyler said gregariously as he leaned down to bump knuckles with Brad.

 

“Hi, Tyler” Brad said shyly, as he briefly made contact with the sandy haired, green eyed boy.

 

“Hi, Tyler” Nicky said flirtatiously as he looked at Tyler from beneath his black bangs and licked his lips suggestively.

 

“Uhh, hi, Nicky” Tyler said hesitantly as he looked away. “Hey, Beth; hey, Donny” he added.

 

“Hey, Dude.”

 

“Hey, Tyler.”

 

“I just wanted to thank you for helping me out yesterday.” Tyler said returning his attention to Brad.

 

“Ohhhh!” Nicky exclaimed.

 

“With the homecoming decorations,” Tyler said giving Nicky a slightly annoyed look.

 

“You know what really says thank you? A kiss. Pucker up, twerp,” Nicky said teasingly, already imagining the two locking lips.

 

Brad looked as though he wanted the ground to swallow him up, while Tyler just gave Nicky an openly disgusted look.

 

“Ignore him, Tyler. I keep telling Donny we need to get him fixed.” Beth said to Tyler with a smile and a wink.

 

Laughing Tyler nodded then locked his dark green eyes with Brad’s pale blue ones.

 

“Anyway Brad, I was hoping you could help me with my physics in study hall this afternoon?” Tyler half said, half asked with a smile.

 

“Yeah Brad, get physical with the guy,” Nicky said with a leer. “Actually, why don’t I help you, Ty?” Nicky added with a wink.

 

“Nicky, that’s enough!” Beth said shooting Nicky a warning look.

 

“Uhh, yeah sure, Tyler. I’ll see you then.” Brad said nervously as he tried to get Tyler to leave. He had just caught sight of another problem heading in their direction, and it was named Steve Kent.

 

Brad looked nervously toward Donny and Beth for help, hoping that one of them had also seen Steve and might have some idea of how to handle this situation. Donny seemed completely oblivious as he began riffling through his backpack for the homework he had due at the end of the day. Beth on the other hand had spotted Steve and looked concerned.

 

“Nicky, come with me to my locker please.” Beth requested calmly as she stood up and looked at Nicky expectantly.

 

The others were all studying Beth curiously now – and looking in the opposite direction from which Steve was approaching – as she moved toward Nicky and held out her hand.

 

“Um, let’s see…NO!” Nicky said, and then with a wink towards Tyler he added, “jeez, can’t you see I’m already doing something. Or more like waiting to do something.”

 

“Look dude, I don’t know what you’ve heard but…” Tyler started to say nervously as he looked at Nicky.

 

“Nicky, I need to talk to you.” Steve Kent interrupted as he reached the group.

 

Everyone whirled around to face Steve and immediately they all began to eye Nicky anxiously. Even Tyler had heard about the feud which was currently taking place between the two former lovers.

 

“Oh, that’s funny, Kent, because I need to beat the shit out of you,” Nicky said angrily as he stood up and advanced toward the shorter nineteen year old threateningly.

 

Steve Kent was already two years behind where he should have been in school and he was known for causing trouble. With his long, platinum blonde hair, which he kept combed to the left in such a way that almost completely obscured that side of his face, and his bright red, colored-contact lenses, he had a look which almost rivaled Nicky’s when it came to disturbing.

 

None of the others thought for even a minute that Nicky was in any danger of getting hurt though; Nicky knew how to fight. He had justifiably earned the reputation of being the most dangerous person at Eastbrooke and so the only thing which really surprised the others was that Steve was stupid enough to approach him on his own.

“Nicky wait!” Donny said as he leapt to his feet and rushed to get between the two. Once he was in place he turned to face Steve and surprised everyone with the harshness of his words.

 

“Beat it, Kent. No one wants you here, least of all Nicky.”

 

“Fuck off, Sam.” Steve said as he shoved Donny aside and once again looked at Nicky intending to say something.

 

He never got the chance though. Before he knew what had hit him Nicky had grabbed him by the throat and shoulder, spun him around, and slammed him hard into the brick wall.

 

Nicky had several inches of height on Steve and as such he easily held the now frightened guy in place against the wall, his feet not quite making contact with the ground.

 

“Don’t you ever fucking touch him or call him that again.” Nicky growled as he literally spit into Steve’s face.

 

“I just wanted to talk to you.” Steve chocked out.

 

“What did you want to talk about, Steve? My eating disorder or my drug problem? HUH?!” Nicky shouted as he pulled Steve forward and slammed him into the wall again.

 

“Nicky, it’s okay. Calm down. Violence won’t help anything and he isn’t worth your trouble anyway,” Donny said soothingly as he gently placed his hands on Nicky’s left arm.

 

“Fuck off, Sam, this doesn’t concern you,” Nicky hissed, barely sparing a glance toward Donny.

 

“YOU, concern me, Nicky,” Donny said, “I’m not going to let you get expelled or suspended over this. Now please just…”

 

“I said go away!” Nicky screamed as he roughly shook Steve and tightened his grip on the other guy’s throat.

 

“Nicky, Donny’s right. Please leave him alone. Please I…I just can’t… I mean this is… I…” Brad fumbled to find the words as he began to break down and tears slowly formed in his eyes.

 

Nicky briefly looked at Brad for a split second his fiery, yellow eyes softened. Then he immediately turned back toward Steve, whirled around, and literally hurled him into the grassy common area.

 

“Get the hell out of here, Kent, and if you fucking ever say another word about me I’ll rip your throat out,” Nicky shouted after him.

 

“You okay?” Donny asked once Steve had gotten back on his feet and hurried off to the other side of the grounds.

 

“Yeah, whatever,” Nicky said dismissively as he plopped back down, pulled out his English book, and proceeded to bury his face behind it.

 

“What about you, bro?” Donny asked as he put his arm around a still very agitated Brad.

 

“Um, yeah. I’ll be fine,” Brad said quietly as he looked away. Not only was he embarrassed about how strongly he had reacted to the situation in general, but he felt particularly foolish that it had happened in front of Tyler.

 

“Tyler, Brad, will you guys walk me to my locker?” Beth asked, deciding that Donny could use a few minutes alone with Nicky. Not only was she hoping her boyfriend would be able to calm Nicky down, she was also still hoping he could get some information about Brad from him.

 

“Uhh, actually you guys go ahead, I really ought to be…” Tyler started.

 

“Getting to know me better” Beth finished confidently as she hooked arms with Tyler, then Brad, and led them away.

 

“Nicky?” Donny said with a slight cough as he tried to get the black haired boy’s attention.

 

“WHAT?” Nicky asked petulantly as he looked up from his book.

 

“You want to talk?” Donny asked as she shifted closer to Nicky.

 

“What do you think?” Nicky replied sarcastically as he looked back down at his book.

 

“Okay, well I want to talk,” Donny said.

 

Nicky looked up with anger written all over his face, so Donny quickly added, “not about you though, about Brad. I’m worried about him.”

 

“Well that makes one of us,” Nicky said coldly as he once again tried to focus his attention on the book in his lap.

 

“Nicky, I mean it. I’m worried about him, and I think you know what’s going on,” Donny said.

 

“Why? How the hell should I know what’s going on with the little twerp. Minding other people’s business is your specialty, Landry, not mine.” Nicky retorted.

 

“Nicky, please I…”

 

“Drop it! I’m not getting involved in his business, end of story,” Nicky said firmly.

 

“Fine, we can drop the Brad subject for now,” Donny said.

 

“Good” Nicky answered as he picked up his book.

 

“So back to you,” Donny said as Nicky rolled his eyes and looked exasperated. “You gotta stop talking to Tyler like that. You’re making him really uncomfortable. Straight guys aren’t typically cool with being hit on by gay guys, you know? Besides…”

 

“Straight guys?” Nicky laughed. “Trust me, Sam, that boy isn’t straight.”

 

“But…uh, yeah he is,” Donny responded confused. “I mean he dates girls and stuff”

 

“This may shock you, Sam,” Nicky said in a patronizingly soothing voice, “and actually I don’t understand it myself, but not all gay guys are out of the closet.”

 

Donny thought it over for a minute then replied, “Well whatever. I mean I guess you’re the ‘expert’ here, but frankly if Tyler’s ‘in the closet’ I think he must still be buried in the back behind the winter coats.”

 

Nicky actually laughed slightly as he responded, “Yeah well I guess that’s why he’s so fucking hot then. Believe me though, he’s every bit as gay as… that asshole Kent.”

 

Nicky was once again staring angrily across the common grounds to where his ex-boyfriend was now sitting at a table talking with Gina Carson and another girl.

 

“What did you ever see in that…person in the first place anyway?” Donny asked as he followed Nicky’s gaze.

 

“What did I see in him?” Nicky asked returning his attention to Donny. “Me,” he finished with his best dirty smile.

 

“That’s sick!” Donny exclaimed as he twisted his face into a grimace.

 

“No, that straight shit you and Beth do is sick,” Nicky retorted.

 

“I didn’t mean the sex; I just think it’s messed up that you were sleeping around with him when you probably knew it was going to end in an ugly mess all along. You never cared for him in the first place. THAT’s sick.” Donny said with honesty as he braced himself for Nicky’s response.

 

“Yeah, I think the thought of fucking him is sick now too,” Nicky said with surprising calm, “But before he actually screwed me over it was very appealing, especially when I was horny.”

 

“But you knew it wouldn’t work?” Donny asked.

 

“Of course I knew it wouldn’t work. How could it? He’s not exactly perfect in case you haven’t noticed.” Nicky answered.

 

“Well someone doesn’t have to be perfect for it to work, Nicky. They just have to be compatible with you and honestly willing to try. You should at least think it can work out.” Donny said.

 

“Thanks for the lecture, Sam. So what about you and Beth then? Huh? Is she your ‘soul mate’?” Nicky asked in a saccharine voice as he sarcastically used his fingers to make quote marks around the word soul mate.

 

“Yes. I love Beth. I think she is my soul mate. No, she isn’t perfect, but that isn’t what a relationship is about. It’s about accepting the good with the bad. The sour with the sweet.” Donny answered, his clear, green eyes shining with affection as he thought about his relationship with the girl he loved.

 

“I see. Sour and sweet. Now it all makes sense,” Nicky said.

 

“Really?” Donny asked hopefully.

 

“Sure. You like Beth because she’s a little tart,” Nicky said dryly as he re-opened his book to the page he was holding and once again began reading.

 

 

 

At the end of the day as Donny, Beth, Brad, and Nicky were walking towards the parking lot where their vehicles were parked, Beth grabbed Nicky’s arm and fished a note out of her pocket.

 

“Here, some junior asked me to give you this.” Beth said as she handed him the folded up piece of paper.

 

“What did he want?” Nicky asked suspiciously.

 

“I dunno know, but I bet reading the note will help clear up this little mystery,” Beth answered cheekily.

 

“Well what did he look like?” Nicky asked as he tucked the note away in his back pocket, deciding that he’d wait and read it later.

 

“About 5’10’’, brown hair and eyes, muscular build, gay,” Beth answered.

 

“Gay? How can you tell?” Nicky asked.

 

“Oh please! I’ve been around you and your myriad of boyfriends enough to know a gay guy when I see one…so yeah, I guess that means he probably wants to get into your pants,” Beth stated and she reached her car and unlocked the door.

 

“I don’t think anyone else could get into Nicky’s pants,” Donny playfully remarked as he gave Nicky’s small, skin-tight jeans a once-over with his eyes.

 

“Oh screw you, Sam,” Nicky said with a slight laugh and without any hint of anger in his voice as he casually flipped Donny the bird and climbed into his car.

 

 

5 A Day

 

 

Don was just heading towards his front door when the phone rang. Sighing lightly he put down his briefcase and made his way toward the nearest phone, which was located on an end table near the couch.

 

“Hello,” he said as he answered the phone.

 

“Hi...Don?” Shelly Pierce asked as she repositioned her cellular phone between her shoulder and ear and put on her left turn signal.

 

“Hey, Shelly. How are you?” Don asked smiling on his end of the phone as he recognized his friend’s voice.

 

“I’m okay I guess. I’m on my way to pick up groceries for dinner. How are you?” Shelly was eager to get to the point of her phone call, but she liked Don and didn’t want to offend him by being too abrupt.

 

“I’m doing fine,” Don responded thinking he’d be doing quite a bit better if he wasn’t about to have to endure spending the next few hours with Jeffery Prescott.

 

“I was just about to meet with Mr. Prescott actually” he added.

 

“Oh, thanks again for agreeing to help him, Don,” Shelly said as she turned into the parking lot of the large produce stand. “I know your personal feelings about this, but… well; he’s really not a bad guy at all. I mean I even feel guilty about…”

 

“You shouldn’t feel guilty about anything, Shell,” Don cut her off. “People like him disgust me, but you did the right thing,” he added, his anger and distaste toward Jeffery Prescott growing by the second.

 

“Well, like I said, thanks for doing this for me. Anyway, I was actually hoping to talk to Donny. Is he home from school yet?” Shelly asked as she closed and locked her car door and then adjusted the purse on her shoulder before heading towards the building.

 

“Nope, I think he might be with Beth. Why don’t you call him on his cell?” Don asked as he absently fiddled with his dark red tie.

 

“Well I hate to bother him if he’s with his girlfriend. I was just hoping he knew if anything was bothering Nicky…well anything new that is,” Shelly said correcting herself as she thought about how long it had been since nothing had been bothering her son.

 

“Is he in any kind of trouble?” Don asked concerned. He hardly knew the boy since his son was more likely to spend time at Nicky’s home than visa-versa. However, he was well aware of how troubled the youth was and despite believing Donny’s assurances that Nicky wasn’t using any drugs or abusing alcohol Don secretly thought it was only a matter of time until he did.

 

“I don’t know. That’s why I was hoping to talk with Donny.” Shelly sighed and placed a head of cauliflower into her basket. “I actually heard him scream last night and when I found him in the kitchen it looked as though he’d been crying. But of course he wouldn’t talk to me.”

 

“Well, I’ll leave Donny a note asking him to call you.” Don said as he picked up the pad they kept beside the phone and removed the pen from his shirt pocket.

 

“Thanks Don, but that’s okay. If he calls me while I’m at home and Nicky finds out it’ll just upset him more.” Shelly said as she began to make her way to the checkout line, but stopped when she noticed the butternut squash display. Squash was Nicky’s favorite vegetable.

 

“Well okay, but I’ll still let him know you called.” Don said putting away his pen and checking his watch.

 

“Thanks Don. I’ll talk to you later,” Shelly said as she began to unload her basket. “Give Cassandra my regards.”

 

“Give? Nah, I’ll just let her buy them like she does with everything else.” Don said with a dry laugh.

 

 

Just What Is He Paid To Do?

 

“Good afternoon, Mr. Prescott,” Don said as he walked into the room.

 

“Hello, Mr. Landry” Jeff said with polite disinterest.

 

“Are you ready to talk about Mr. Kesler’s death today?” Don asked as he took a seat and began unpacking his briefcase.

 

“No,” Jeff said simply, but when Don started to protest he continued. “We’re not to that stage yet. I believe the last thing I told you about was the morning after our first anniversary.”

 

“Yes, but…” Don tried to interrupt.

 

“We were only twenty-four then. We should have had at least another fifty years together,” Jeff said with a distant look.

 

“Yes, well I do hope you’re not planning on recounting every single day of the twenty years which you DID have together,” Don said half sarcastically, half afraid that Jeff might actually try to do just that.

 

“No, today I think I’m going to tell you about the vacation that we took about a year and a half later. See we went to…” Jeff said as he began to launch into his story, a wistful look spreading over his face.

 

“Mr. Prescott, I really think it would be more helpful if we discussed Mr. Kesler’s death instead,” Don protested.

 

“Well I don’t want to talk about that right now,” Jeff said simply before adding, “Besides, you’re paid to listen; so listen. Anyway we went to...”

 

“No, Mr. Prescott,” Don interrupted irritably. “I’m paid to…”

 

“Indulge me!” Jeff said forcefully with a resolute look on his face.

 

“So we went to this little lakeside lodge in Illinois…”

  

So what did you think of this chapter?

PLEASE copy and paste the following link:

http://www.gayauthors.org/forums?showtopic=6276

into your browser and let me know what you thought!

Forum discussion is usually my preferred means of communicating, but if you feel shy or otherwise hesitant please leave a review here or contact me via PM or email (Serendipitys_Son@hotmail.com)

Copyright © 2010 AFriendlyFace; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..