Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A New Family Unit - 8. Family Troubles

Mr. and Mrs. Winters make their appearance.

Edna Winters

The woman's battered reflection stared back at her as she dried her tears and cleaned her wounds. Overall her appearance was still considered stunning. Thanks to eating right, a good wardrobe, vitamins, an exceptional hairdresser, and expensive antiaging creams, fifty-five-year-old Edna Winters could turn the heads of men younger than her thirty-one-year-old son, Zach. However, right now, the only heads she'd turn would be attached to the necks of those in the medical field and those associated with domestic abuse. Edna shook her head and sighed as she started covering the dark blue/purple bruises and the angry reddish marks from where her husband, Franklin Delano Winters, just hours ago beat her with his boots, fists, and a very nicely formed hefty stick he'd found on the ground.

It wasn't the beatings and bruises that caused Edna's tears. It was the painful memories of being forced to become an overly strict mother to her boys as they grew up, so she could protect them from the brunt of her husband's violence. This was also why she insisted they see Taylor, Zach, and Chris twice a year and had grandkids she'd only seen in a few pictures or in passing as they were ushered to a prearranged sleepover or somewhere with one of the parents. Now, she heard about Taylor finding the man he'd probably marry and that now she had one more unknown grandchild.

Edna turned and looked at her unconscious husband's body sprawled on the kitchen floor. This time she didn't just threaten to fight back. This time Edna made good on her threat. When he had his hands wrapped around her neck, and she saw her life flash before her eyes, Edna reached for anything she could grab. It just so happened that the cast iron skillet was where she could get it. The weakened lady summoned every bit of strength left in her, picked up the cooking tool, and slammed it against Frank's head. Edna chuckled to herself because, at the time, she hoped his head wasn't harder than the skillet.

As soon as she finished cleaning herself and covering her bruises and scars as best she could, Edna went to the bedroom and gathered a few clothes in a suitcase, her bank card, two thousand dollars in cash, and her most precious jewels. She threw her wedding ring on the floor beside Frank's body, put Wynonna Judd's Tell Me Why cd in the player, hit the last track and left. The song "That Was Yesterday" played close to max volume. While driving to her son's new homes, Edna kept asking God to help her boys forgive her for the past and that they'd see the sacrifice and love behind her actions.

The Family

The morning started out like usual, except with the extra teen and two adults, more laughter was heard throughout the house. Thursday was a day of rest for Sam. Chris got selected for a domestic abuse situation, so he was out for the day. Taylor was putting in a full day at the gym, and Zach volunteered to take the three teens for their yearly checkups and spend the day having fun being a Dad and Uncle Zach. So, that left Sam at the house by himself, with absolutely nothing to do until someone came home.

Edna stopped at the light, turned right, and continued driving for another twenty minutes. Before leaving the driveway, the Matriarch made sure her Smith&Wesson was secured and loaded in the glove box of her Twenty-Twenty-One Cadillac SUV. Nerves and guilt filled the Mother as she neared the house Taylor and Sam shared with their kids. She had heard Zach and Chris moved into the house across the street from Taylor and Sam with their son, Justin. Edna smiled at the thought, knowing they all had each other to lean on, and helping to raise the boys gave her peace of mind and spirit. The woman got so lost in her thoughts that she'd almost missed the house. As she pulled into the driveway, Edna smiled and nodded in approval of the home. The property was well landscaped and had a feeling of love radiating from the structure. She had just opened the door when a very pleasant-looking and smiling young man came from around the side of the house.

Sam heard the car door close and thought maybe one of his guys was home. He put down the rake and wiped the sweat from his brow. The brunet walked around the house and saw the unfamiliar SUV in the drive. As soon as he saw the lady exiting the vehicle, he knew who it had to be. There was no mistaking those eyes and bright red hair. Sam took a deep breath and prayed things would go smoothly. The man gulped and displayed his most welcoming smile.

"Hi! I'm Sam. Judging from that hair and those eyes, you must be Mrs. Winters." Sam paused and extended his hand. "Welcome to our home. Is there anything I can bring inside for you?" The closer he got to the woman, the more of her bruises he saw. Sam also noticed she was slightly limping and had been crying. Instantly, the twenty-nine-year-old had his arms wrapped around the older woman, giving her his most loving embrace.

Edna tried to smile, but her lip split from the attempt because of her husband's punch. She gasped when she felt the young man's arms wrap around her, filling her with love, something she was in great need of. Before she could stop herself, Edna broke down and sobbed on Sam's broad shoulder. "Yes, I'm Mrs... I'm sorry, please, call me Edna, or if you'd prefer, Sam Mama Edna."

Sam was taken aback by her greeting and the request to be called Mama Edna. This certainly wasn't what he'd expected from the descriptions of his mate and brothers, and Sam was sure there was a story to be told and listened to. "Mama Edna, please let me help you. I have the feeling that you have a lot to get off your chest, and I'm here to help you without judgment."

"I've heard about my son, Taylor, starting a relationship with you, young man." She paused and looked Sam up and down. "I must say, I'm very impressed. Obviously, Taylor's made an exceptional choice in you."

Sam smiled proudly and gave Edna another loving embrace. "I appreciate the compliment. I've got to say, I've chosen exceptionally well also. Your sons, grandsons, and Chris are just what my son, Devon, and I needed."

"I have a lot to explain to my family." Edna paused and wiped her tears. "I'm including you in that statement, Sam." She tried to smile, but the pain and reopening of the wound made it very difficult.

"Mama, please, let me help you get fixed up, so you can try to show your best self to the guys when they get home. We can talk about anything you desire. Just take this to heart, you're my only Mom at this point, and just like the rest of my family, I will protect you. No one will hurt you again, not as long as I can stop it."

"I can feel the sincerity in your delivery, Sam. I do believe that you will do just what you say." She finally softly giggled. "Judging from your size, I'd hate to see the man who crossed you."

"Don't let my size fool ya, Mom. I'm just a big overgrown kid. Just ask Tay and Zach." Sam chuckled. "Why, just last night, Zach and I had a whipped cream war, and when the boys came downstairs before dinner, they joined in the war. Taylor and Chris came home to a happy but sticky family."

Edna threw her head back and laughed heartily. Of course, this was followed by moans, but she didn't regret the laughter. "I believe I would've loved to see that."

"Stick around long enough, and you just might." Sam opened the front door and ushered his new Mom into the house.

Inside, Sam and Edna continued chatting. The Matriarch found it very easy and comforting to open up to the young man as he helped clean her wounds and bruises. Sam convinced her not to cover it up too much because he did want the guys to see the hell she's been living in so they'll understand everything she did for them over the years to protect them from their Dad. While chatting, Sam filled her in on her grandsons, and by the end of the discussion, Edna couldn't wait to see the children. Sam was able to get her to go with him and file a restraining order against her husband. After finishing their coffee, the pair got in Sam's car and drove to the police station.

Franklin was livid when he came to. "EDNA!!!" He shouted as he ran throughout the house searching for his wife. "When I find you, you're DEAD!!!" The seven-foot-tall man roared as he grabbed his shotgun. Frank pulled the door open with such force that the doorknob put a hole in the wall as he stormed out of the house. The redhaired man jumped into his pickup truck, threw the vehicle into drive, and spun tires as he raced down the road, following the Cadillac's GPS signal.

"Hey, Uncle Zach?" Devon asked.

"What's up, baby boy?"

"A strange car’s at the house. I don't see Daddy's car, but there's a dark red Caddy SUV in the drive."

"What?" Zach asked as he turned into his home's driveway.

He parked in the garage, turned the car off, and closed the automatic door. The thirty-one-year-old opened the side kitchen door and ushered his teen boys inside. After they took their shoes off, Zach had them go upstairs and play in Justin's room while he checked things out at Sam and Taylor's house. The redhead walked into his office and picked up the phone, calling Sam.

"Hey, big bro. How are the boys?"

"Damn, no one ever asks about Chris or me anymore. It's always, how are the boys." Zach giggled.

Sam joined his brother's giggling. "I know the feeling." He paused. "What's up?"

"We just got back, and Devie saw Mom's Caddy in your driveway. Where are you, and is she with you?" Zach asked as he got a bottle of flavored water from his mini-fridge.

"Umm, it's a long story. However, the gist of it is our Mom's divorcing your Dad, and well... she's gonna be staying with us till she can find a place of her own."

Zach almost dropped his water. "WHAT???"

"Bro, I don't want to tell you too much over the phone, but I'm with her now getting a restraining order against your Dad." Sam paused. "Zach, Mom's been abused, essentially all your and Tay's life."

Zach poured himself a shot of bourbon. Usually, he would never have any alcohol when he had the boys by himself, but this called for it. "Tell Mom I love her. I'll see you when you get back. Have you called Tay?" Zach asked as he wiped his tears.

"Not yet I don't want to worry him needlessly. I'm helping Mom with everything. Zach, she told me I was her son and that she can't wait to see her sons and meet her grandsons."

"Thank you, Sam. You truly are the best baby brother anyone could ever ask for. I love you and love what you're doing for our Mom."

"No need for thanks, bro. Just keep the boys safe and loved. We'll be back shortly." Sam paused. "I love you, Zach."

"Love you too, Sam." Zach hung up the phone, then sat back in his chair and cried as he pondered what Sam had told him.

Sam had just turned into the drive. He honked the horn as he drove past Zach's house, letting them know he was home. The pair were heading for the house when Sam's body filled with pain as the butt of a rifle slammed into his ribs, causing him to double over.

Zach and the boys came out of the house right as Sam got hit. "Frank/Dad/Uncle Sam!" Multiple voices cried out at the same time.

Sam looked over and did his best to get Zach's attention. "Keep..." He tried to yell but couldn't because of the blinding pain.

"You're only leaving me over my dead body, bitch." Frank growled.

"Get away from my Mom and Brother." Zach hollered. The redhead was so focused on his Dad that he didn't notice Devon sneaking past him and running across the street.

Frank's attention was drawn away enough for Sam's attempt to stop the hulking man. He screamed in pain as he kicked Frank in the back. Unfortunately, it wasn't strong enough to do anything but piss the giant man off. The redhead turned and slammed the rifle into Sam's head, knocking the man unconscious.

"DAD!!!" Devon screamed as he ran towards the man. He jumped onto the bigger man's back. Devon began biting and hitting the attacker wherever he could.

Edna ran to her car and got her S&W, released the safety, and approached the man struggling with one of her grandchildren.

"You little bastard," Frank growled as Devon's teeth sunk into his ear and drew blood. The man grabbed the biting teen's neck, throwing him to the ground. Devon's head hit hard, knocking the teen unconscious.

Zach ran across the street after forcing the other two distraught teens back into the house. He reached everyone right as his Mom aimed her gun and shot her husband in the chest twice.

"You will never touch my family or me again. You sick bastard." Edna calmly stated as she put the safety on her gun and placed it on the hood of Sam's car.

"Mom!" Zach yelled as he grabbed his Mom in a hug and cried on her shoulder.

"I'm fine, son. We need to tend to our brave boys."

Edna and Zach got to Sam and Devon as the ambulances and police arrived. Frank was pronounced dead at the scene. Because of the surveillance cameras installed around the property, it was easy for the police to see what transpired and who caused everything. Edna turned her gun over for evidence. She also showed the officers the newly issued restraining order against her husband.

Zach did not leave his brother or nephew's sides as their unconscious bodies were loaded onto the ambulances. He was unsure of what to do, the boys were next door, and Edna was still with the police. The redhead pulled out his phone and called his brother and husband. When he couldn't reach either one, Zach made an executive decision. He asked that the ambulances wait for just a second while he let the kids know what was happening. Zach ran across the street and had a meeting with the two teens. After giving them a hug and making sure they locked the door, Zach ran back, hugged his Mom then told her he was riding to the hospital and that the boys were locked safe in the house. Then he jumped in the ambulance and rode with Sam and Devon to the hospital. Edna finished with the police, ran across the street, and made a quick introduction to the teens. Then she and the boys jumped in her car and sped off toward the hospital to be with their family.

Thank you to @BoyLove and @chris191070 for helping me with my decision on the outcome of this entire chapter. Or, at least the course it took where Edna was concerned. I was mostly going with her leaving her husband, the family welcoming her and then Frank going after her, but then as things always do, nothing goes as planned.
Thanks for reading, reacting, and commenting
Love y'all
Copyright © 2022 Ajbt2001; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 8
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Fun Fact: A fan of Wynonna's played "That Was Yesterday" and left the song on repeat so that it was playing when her soon to be ex-husband got home from work. 

If you get the chance, listen to "That Was Yesterday" by Wynonna Judd. It was written by Naomi Judd, and in my opinion, one of Wy's best songs.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Wow that was a dramatic chapter. Poor Edna suffering abuse from Frank all the time she was married to protect her boys.

Frank got what he deserved in the end.

I hope Sam and Devin are not hurt to badly, Edna is going to be really upset by what Frank did to them.

Edna is going to make a good Mum / Grandma to her sons, son in laws and grandchildren.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

😥😥😥😥damn you had me crying from the beginning! That was one very emotional and dramatic chapter. Yes Frank definitely got what he deserved. I would have done the same thing myself. Hope the kids are going to be okay. They sure weren't scared to step in and fight that's for sure. Always trying to protect the family. Grandma is definitely going to need some therapy after this. But, it will go a long way with the love of family.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Wow that was a dramatic chapter. Poor Edna suffering abuse from Frank all the time she was married to protect her boys.

Frank got what he deserved in the end.

I hope Sam and Devin are not hurt to badly, Edna is going to be really upset by what Frank did to them.

Edna is going to make a good Mum / Grandma to her sons, son in laws and grandchildren.

 

1 hour ago, BoyLove said:

😥😥😥😥damn you had me crying from the beginning! That was one very emotional and dramatic chapter. Yes Frank definitely got what he deserved. I would have done the same thing myself. Hope the kids are going to be okay. They sure weren't scared to step in and fight that's for sure. Always trying to protect the family. Grandma is definitely going to need some therapy after this. But, it will go a long way with the love of family.

I love you guys. @chris191070 @BoyLove

You two are awesome at posting comments and adding to a story's insight. Sam and Devie, I'm sure will be fine it may just take a little time before they're back to their full playfulness. Since I hadn't really planned on Edna in the original plan, it's gonna be interesting to see how and where she fits in. She may just take some time to herself and take stock of her new life as a single woman starting over, which is what she needs. At least now she has her family to love and truly get to know. 

The other two kids are definitely gonna be fine. They just wanna be with their Devie and Daddy/Uncle Sam, of which I just heard Justin giggling in the background. ;) 

Edited by Ajbt2001
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

That was an extremely emotional chapter.  That kind of abuse to deal with while raising children and protecting them from it must have been very hard.  Glad they are back together and things move along better in their lives.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..