Jump to content

Never walk alone

   (9 reviews)

Andrew Devlin has three things he loves most. His parents, his only family, his boyfriend Ryan,  and the hospitality industry, his chosen career. When his parents are tragically killed, his biggest desire is to have a family of his own, to love and be loved. With assistance from a very large inheritance he sets about doing just that.

The story is my first major attempt at writing a book and is  semi-autobiographical, especially locations and most of the travels around the world.
It is mostly light reading, but there are one or two chapters where readers should apply caution. Those chapters will be prefaced with warnings when they are posted.
It is set mostly in Cape Town, South Africa and I hope readers will enjoy the many references  to my beautiful country.
Copyright © 2020 Andre Delport; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (17 members)

  • Action Packed 10
  • Addictive/Pacing 14
  • Characters 17
  • Chills 3
  • Cliffhanger 7
  • Compelling 6
  • Feel-Good 6
  • Humor 5
  • Smoldering 7
  • Tearjerker 10
  • Unique 11
  • World Building 11

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Chapter 1
    • 2,149 Words
    • 8,265 Views
    • 21 Comments
  • 2. Chapter 2
    • 3,724 Words
    • 5,437 Views
    • 17 Comments
  • 3. Chapter 3
    • 5,317 Words
    • 5,480 Views
    • 20 Comments
  • 4. Chapter 4
    • 4,084 Words
    • 5,019 Views
    • 13 Comments
  • 5. Chapter 5
    • 7,427 Words
    • 6,485 Views
    • 12 Comments
  • 6. Chapter 6
    • 11,246 Words
    • 5,685 Views
    • 9 Comments
  • 7. Chapter 7 -Launch
    • 6,536 Words
    • 4,554 Views
    • 5 Comments
  • 8. Chapter 8
    • 5,341 Words
    • 4,267 Views
    • 8 Comments
  • 9. Chapter 9
    • 4,270 Words
    • 4,258 Views
    • 6 Comments
  • 10. Chapter 10
    • 4,823 Words
    • 4,050 Views
    • 10 Comments
  • 11. Chapter 11
    • 10,840 Words
    • 4,213 Views
    • 10 Comments
  • 12. Chapter 12
    • 9,810 Words
    • 4,208 Views
    • 10 Comments
  • 13. Chapter 13
    • 7,267 Words
    • 4,097 Views
    • 6 Comments
  • 14. Chapter 14
    • 7,481 Words
    • 4,164 Views
    • 12 Comments
  • 15. Chapter 15
    • 14,609 Words
    • 5,667 Views
    • 8 Comments
  • 16. Chapter 16
    • 14,929 Words
    • 4,413 Views
    • 10 Comments
  • 17. Chapter 17
    • 11,556 Words
    • 4,642 Views
    • 9 Comments
  • 18. Chapter 18
    • 12,211 Words
    • 4,105 Views
    • 6 Comments
  • 19. Chapter 19
    • 11,366 Words
    • 4,385 Views
    • 13 Comments
  • 20. Chapter 20
    • 14,067 Words
    • 4,121 Views
    • 5 Comments
  • 21. Chapter 21
    • 7,310 Words
    • 3,651 Views
    • 7 Comments
  • 22. Chapter 22
    • 11,434 Words
    • 3,856 Views
    • 11 Comments
  • 23. Chapter 23
    • 10,088 Words
    • 3,698 Views
    • 12 Comments
  • 24. Chapter 24
    • 15,198 Words
    • 4,920 Views
    • 6 Comments
  • 25. Chapter 25
    • 16,762 Words
    • 4,426 Views
    • 8 Comments
  • 26. Chapter 26
    • 10,822 Words
    • 3,704 Views
    • 10 Comments
  • 27. Chapter 27
    • 6,158 Words
    • 3,508 Views
    • 5 Comments
  • 28. Chapter 28
    • 6,667 Words
    • 5,750 Views
    • 52 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Ticklishboy30

   1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

If you are looking for an incredible, beautifully descriptive story, look no further. Never Walk Alone has everything to satisfy any reader's hunger.

Thank you @Andre Delport for taking the time necessary to craft the product of your imagination. 

 

Response from the author:

Thank you for 5* review. I hope you enjoy Book 2 as much. Happy reading

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to review
Sunshine

   1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

I have just finished reading this quite long story. I found the story interesting, mostly because it was set in South Africa. I frequently looked up the locations on Google Maps to see where we were going with the story, and sometimes even looked at street view images of the locations to get a feel for the area. I enjoyed the romantic story, and the occasional dramatic moments. Mostly the story unfolds with no drama and very little plot. There were no annoying "cliff hangers" but a pleasing flow of unfolding events. I was interested to see how the other half of the world (the rich half that owns luxury yachts and runs five-star resorts) lives and had to suspend belief a few times when extended and luxurious meals (and there were many of them) appeared with seemingly little effort. (I am not a foodie, so I tended to skim the lengthy menus). I enjoyed reading the story and will now commence the sequel.

  • Like 2
Link to review
markM

   1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

Okay, so this is no kidding,  I started reading "Never Walk Alone" on Saturday morning; didn't stop but to eat and take care of business, finally going to sleep at two the next morning.  I woke up at four in the morning, call in sick at work, went back to sleep, and at seven the same morning, I woke up to finish this story.  I SKIPPED WORK TO FINISH READING THIS STORY!  Who does that?  I can't believe it. 

The reason why this story is phenomenal is simple ...  Mr. Delport kept it real.  He took everyday situations, with children, a dog, and life and weaved it into a symphony of words that we all can relate to.  He took us on a DeJa'Vu journey making us remember the good time that we cherish with our own loved ones.  It made this reader smile ... laugh and cry. 

Each character has their own personality, making them easy to fall in love with.  In turn, he made you care for them like they were your own family ... yes even the dog.

There is one more ingredient that takes this story to the next level ... it's a four-letter word that is the perfect spice for any thing you do.  Love.  Mr. Delport poured love and kneaded it into every fiber of this story, making "Never Walk Alone" one of the best stories I've ever read.

Response from the author:

@Mark M, thank you for just making me  cry, reading your unbelievable review. I'm having a tough time at the moment writing, or shall I say, trying to write, some really tough chapters for Book 2 and your review has really lifted my spirits.  I have said before in replies to comments - I never in my wildest dreams thought 'Never walk alone' would get the reception it has from the readers. So again, thank you to you  and everyone who has commented. You are all so appreciated.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to review
pvtguy

   1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

A wonderful and warm story of love, adventure, family, and making visions into reality.  Sudden wealth does not change the personality of Andrew Devlin, but allows him to enrich the lives of many others.  Andrew marries the love of his life, Ryan Majors and together, they build a life and business together.  It will keep the reader looking up recipes and places throughout Africa, the Mediterranean, continental Europe and Scotland.  This is a must read!

Response from the author:

Cannot believe it. Yet more 5 stars. Thanks you. I just amazed at the reaction to this first effort at writing. I'm pinching myself to check that I'm not dreaming. Thank you.

  • Love 2
Link to review
haines87

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

If you love comedy and drama and sooooooo much more this is the book for you! 
this is why the book got a five-star rating from me.

  • it has so many ups and downs just like real life. and it has more ups than downs.
  • each chapter makes you want to go on to the next one and next.
  • it makes you feel like you're really there.

so in closing I would highly recommend this book.

Response from the author:

@haines87, thank you for the wonderful review. Never in my wildest dreams did I think my first book would be getting review like yours and those below, and that almost two years after first appearing.

  • Love 2
Link to review
Mancunian

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

WOW, BRILLIANT, these are just two of many words that can describe this story. This story includes many of the obstacles that we could all face in life but has an overall theme of love, love for a partner, children and not forgetting the all important pooch, but also love for all of the important people around them which includes everyone from the lowest of the staff to the highest, they are all as important as each other. At the same time this story draws you in and makes you believe you are there, I almost feel as though i've been to South Africa that is how good this is. My recommendation is, read and enjoy you won't regret it.

Response from the author:

@Macunian, WOW. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed my first effort and that you deemed it good enough to give a great review. 

  • Love 3
Link to review
Summerabbacat

· Edited by Summerabbacat

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

@chris191070and @flescohave brilliantly and succinctly captured the essence of this story in their reviews, such that I have little I can add.

The story has it all, tragedy, humour, an abundance of love and some violence. The latter was neither gratuitous nor trite, @Andre Delport providing just enough detail for the reader to understand the impact of the violence on the central characters, without an excess of gore and explicit details. 

For this reader, the story was immeasurably enhanced by the inclusion of a wonderful canine character by the name of Rascal. Rascal is an integral part of the Devlin-Major family, not a mere "accessory" in the lives of the human family members. Each time he is prominently featured you cannot help but be enthralled by his antics and in awe of his love for his human family members. @Andre Delport is to be lauded for recognising and celebrating the human/non-human animal bond.

I too look forward to a continuation of the saga of the Devlin-Major family and their band of close friends (especially the delightful Claude whom I would like to see play a bigger part in the next book @Andre Delport).

 

  • Love 4
Link to review
flesco

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Never Walk Alone is a very touching debut novel. The story is about a pair of young men who love each other deeply, but due to job conflicts, don’t spend much time together. A tragedy occurs that will change their lives in a profound way. There is a lot of travel, lots of fine dining and experiences that help them to create a life that is fulfilling and filled with love, family and friends. I strongly recommend this novel. You will enjoy the depth of the story, the amazingly deep characters with unique and varied personalities, and the passionate relationship between the main characters.

Response from the author:

Wow, 5 stars! A huge thanks to both you, Chris and Summerabbacat. I felt like Andrew and Ryan accepting the lodge awards. 

Flesco, thank you too for the fantastic review. Somehow neglected to acknowlege you.

  • Love 5
Link to review
chris191070

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

This is  a fantastic first story from this author.

We follow Andrew and Ryan as they overcome the death of Andrews parents.

With there large inheritance we watch them build up there hospitality business. Work towards there aim of having a family.

This story takes you many places and features some amazing culinary delights.

A fantastic first part to the story of Andrew and Ryan Devlin-Major, family and friends. Comes highly recommended and I look forward to part 2.

  • Love 5
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..