Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 4,650 Words
  • 4,462 Views
  • 39 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Love in the Shadows - 22. Chapter 22: Virulent Voices

It was done.

Vincent laid helplessly beneath Mason. The bloody mark was perfect. Mine. It’s mine! The wolf rumbled with pleasure. The little human was his, and no one could take him away.

When the bedroom door swung open, Mason, still in his hybrid form, pivoted. Lei, Doc, and Caleb held their hands out. “Mace! Son, we’re just here to help Vincent. Just come—”

“He’s my mate!” Mason shouted. He stepped between the invaders and his beloved. Family and friend or not, he would rather die than be separated from Vincent. When Mason caught the lion looking past the mattress, he was infuriated. He not get to—

“M… Mace?”

The weak voice broke his resolve. Mason turned to Vincent. Still bleeding into the pillow, the mage clearly struggled; his breath labored. “They’re here… to help.”

Glancing between his love and his family, Mason’s minds argued about what was important. Needs me, growled his wolf. Mate needs protect.

No. Let me take over, my wolf. You might harm the ones we love the most.

But the mate! I need the—

And you’ll have him. He’s ours, but the doctor needs to come in and help. Vinnie can’t shift yet; the mark has to heal naturally.

With one last look at Vincent, his wolf caved in. Okay.

Mason dropped to his knees and reverted to his human form. A wave of exhaustion hit him like a Mack truck. Holy shit. He watched helplessly as Caleb and Doc rushed bedside.

“Just relax, Vincent.” Doc’s tone was soft, calm, and soothing. “I’ll get the bleeding stopped.”

Lei knelt in front of Mason and held his shoulder. “Easy, Son. Your mate’s gonna be just—”

“Lei,” Doc called out. “I need to get him to the clinic. He’s lost a lot of blood.”

Mason’s heart raced.

“I have the bleeding slowed, but he’s about to lose consciousness.”

“Right. Caleb, you help Doc get Vin loaded,” Lei ordered. “Go with him to the clinic and assist in any way needed.”

“Yes, Alpha.” Caleb rushed out when Doc asked for the stretcher.

What was I thinking? Watching the lion and doctor set the still Vincent on the orange board, Mason sat powerlessly. He had never felt so weak and disoriented. The room was spinning as he rested against the wall. “Dad?”

“He’ll pull through, Mace. C’mon, you should be there when Vin gets to the clinic. He’ll need you.”

Lei did his best to hold Mason up. Disgruntled, the fatigued alpha tried walking on his own, but resigned to taking his father’s assistance. My shift took more out of me than usual. Thought I was ready… An arm over Lei’s shoulder, Mason tried to lead the way through the house. “Where’s Mom?”

His dad snorted. “She went to get pizza to celebrate. I’ll call and have her bring it to Doc’s.”

Going down the porch stairs, Mason caught a glimpse of his mate being loaded into the van. His skin! It’s almost snow-white. Vincent’s hazel eyes were still moving and spotted Mason and Lei as they approached. “Hey, Pup. We did it.”

Vincent managed to raise his arm. He uttered an incoherent garble as the couple briefly held hands. “Easy, Vinnie. Save your energy.” When Doc stepped inside the van, Mason made to follow, only to be pulled back. “I can go, Dad. Let me—”

“You’re in no condition. I’m taking you to the clinic, Caleb’s assisting Doc, and your mother’s bringing food. You’ve used too much energy today, and the sooner you accept that the faster we can get your mate the help he needs.” Lei waved at the veterinarian, and Doc instructed Caleb to take the wheel.

Mason stared as the van sped away. He felt completely useless. I knew this could happen. Hell, this was honestly a great outcome, but my gods… My mate was taken out on a fuckin’ stretcher. I practically need a cane right now. It’s taking everything I have just to walk. Thinking of his mate, he shivered. The virus’s taking hold. He’ll probably slip into a day-long coma like most turned humans do. It’s shitty but naturally born lycans get years to acclimate to the virus. Humans, not so much.

Lei carried Mason over to his Tundra and let him lean against the truck. Despite his dad’s advice, Mason shuffled to the passenger side. Probably shouldn’t drive, but I’ll be damned if I can’t get in my own truck.

Both men in, Lei drove to the clinic while calling Elaine on speaker phone. “Hey, Hon. The bonding went well, but we’re on our way to the clinic.”

“How’s Vincent?” Elaine's voice sounded shaky.

“He’s in good hands, darling. Can you take the pizzas there? Our son can barely stand and probably needs to take a bed at the clinic.”

“I do not,” muttered Mason. I’ll be damned if I can’t watch over my Vinnie.

After a minute, his parents’ conversation was winding down. “Love you too, Ellie. See ya in a bit,” Lei said, setting his phone in a cup holder. “Calm down, Mason. Doc’ll want to give you a once-over, so don’t get your panties in a bunch.”

What panties? I'm fuckin' naked. “Fine. I just feel so useless right now.”

“Son, look at yourself. You performed two hybrid shifts and completed your bond. Your mind’s swimming, and your body’s exhausted. The fact you can stumble around shows how much willpower you got. Hell, when I mated your mother, I passed out. A couple of my shifter buddies had to drag both of us to the base hospital.”

Damn. Dad dropped? “I find that hard to believe.”

“You better. You’ve impressed me, Mace. I thought you were a stronger wolf than me when you took over for the pack, but you keep topping yourself. Opening up our pack to all of these different shifters, standing up against old, useless traditions. You’re a little too instinctual with decision-making and procrastinate too much, but you’re a better leader than I was.”

Still weak, Mason patted Lei’s shoulder. “Thanks, Dad. I learned from the best.”

About to pull into the clinic’s parking lot, Mason spotted the van carrying his mate. Doors are open. They already took Vinnie inside. Hopefully it isn’t bad. The moment the truck stopped, Mason opened the door.

“Hold your horses,” warned his father.

“Just gonna lean on it.” Yeah, I’m not ashamed to say I need a hand. Maybe after a bite or two… With Lei offering support, Mason entered the clinic and gagged at the stench. Piss, shit, and chemicals. Fuck this place!

“Caleb, hold the IV there for a moment.”

He heard the doctor’s orders. Probably far down the hallway. “Doc? Is Vinnie okay?”

“Yes, Alpha! Room four, and he’s going to make it.”

Thanking the Seven while Lei helped him, Mason wanted to see his mate. Although the clinic was for animals, there was a room dedicated to humans and other supernatural humanoids in case of an emergency. Compared to the pale human loaded on a stretcher, color had returned to Vincent’s skin. As Caleb helped set up the drip bag, Mason was given a chair to sit in. He’s starting to smell different. The lilies are still there, but I get some of me with it. He smiled, relishing the fact other shapeshifters would know to leave Vincent alone.

Doc glanced at a monitor to read Vincent’s vitals. “He’s doing fine. Unconscious, but fine. I’ll give him a unit of blood for now. The virus is working spectacularly.”

“Can I stay here, Doc?”

“Of course, but I would try to keep the noise down. This isn’t a proper hospital, so as long as he’s resting, you all can come and go as you please. Would you like some crutches or a wheelchair, Alpha Wilson?”

“I’d appreciate crutches.”

Crossing his arms, Caleb glared at Mason. “You sure? You kind of look like shit.”

“Thanks. You still look a little white.”

The lion shrugged. “You get a death stare from a territorial hybrid and tell me how you feel. Just take it easy, would ya?”

Mumbling, Mason scooted the chair closer to Vincent’s bed. Lacing the lifeless fingers, he matched the mage’s heartbeat to the monitor’s beeping. All his wolf wanted was to whisk his mate away. No. This is the best place for him. Doc needs to watch him for a bit.

Vincent’s skin remained pale and his hair stuck out in multiple directions. Around the man’s bandage, dried blood coated the skin. Groaning, Mason rose, leaned on the bed railing, and combed Vincent’s face clear. There. He looks a little better. He’d be up in arms if I left his hair all messy. We’ll get him cleaned up here in a bit.

Hearing the doorbell, he turned. When the wafting odor of greasy cheese and pepperoni graced his nose, Mason praised the Seven. Oh, Dinbe! Give me some of that shit! Doc came in with perfect timing and handed over a set of crutches. Clicking down the hall, Mason’s hunger fueled his flawless hobbling toward the lobby. His mother set five pizza boxes on the reception counter. Two of those are mine!

Elaine’s piercing eyes stopped him in his tracks. “Mason! Gods, are you alright?”

“I’m fine. Is…” He sniffed. “Is one of those a meat-lovers?”

“How’s Vincent?” She asked, blocking the alpha’s path to the food.

After giving his mom the highlights, he snagged the top box, not caring what toppings were on their way to his stomach. Reclining against the wall, Mason devoured the first slice. While working on the third one, Doc came around the corner. He poked and prodded the feeding wolf, deeming him simply fatigued. Elaine took the box from him and suggested eating in Vincent’s room.

Once again in the spot next to Vincent, Mason ate with one hand while holding his mate’s in the other. Just wish you were awake, Pup. I’m already missing your sweet voice. You’re doing great. I’ll be right here.

To pass the time, Mason stuffed his face, Caleb napped in the lobby, Elaine and Doc watched over Vincent, and Lei explored the building. An hour passed, and there were positive signs. Vincent’s color was returning, and his heart rate and blood sugars were converting from human-normal to lycan-normal.

Eyes fixed on Vincent, Mason kneaded the man’s palm. “Don’t know if you can hear me, baby. Just want you to know I’m here, and I’m not going anywhere until you wake up. I can almost hear the argument you’d be starting, but aside from food and the bathroom, I ain’t budgin’. I couldn’t love you more than I do right now.” Closing his eyes, he tried pushing love through their bond.

He felt Vincent’s pinky twitch, alarming him. “Doc, he moved!”

The scrawny doctor rushed to the bedside and examined the patient. “I don’t know what you saw, but he’s still pretty comatose. Did you do anything?”

“I pushed love into our bond and his finger moved.”

“Very interesting. I’ve never seen a response like that. I wouldn’t recommend big bursts, but perhaps a steady trickle.”

Trying Doc’s suggestion, Mason couldn’t make Vincent twitch. Probably for the best. Can’t force someone to regain consciousness. The sound of an engine rolling into the parking lot alerted him. Rising, he tested his strength. Alright! I don’t need those stupid sticks anymore.

Before he could leave the room, Caleb sleepily reported, “Just Dave.”

Following his enforcer, Mason stepped outside and smelled the burning tobacco.

Dave inhaled and gave the alpha a once-over. “Well, you look better than Lei described.”

“Good to see you too. Sorry, should’ve texted you earlier.”

“Nah, I get it. Lot’s goin’ on. Besides, I’m sure you had enough help.”

“Yeah, it turned out okay. Wasn’t ready to feel like a zombie though. There’s a bit of pizza left in there if you’re hungry.”

Dave nodded. “I’ll grab a slice. Just finished a dinner date with a new cutie.”

“Another one? What happened to what’s-her-name? Kelly?”

“Oh, fuck that trainwreck! She’s crazy, man. Texting in emoji riddles and shit. I’m just thankful she ended up ghosting me. Nah, found a lady who loves big, juicy cheeseburgers more than I do. Sexy, short thing named Stacy.”

Stacy… Stacy… Why does that name sound familiar? “Where does she work?”

“She’s a barista at Beansies. Went for coffee this morning, and she caught my eye. Then I grab my cup and it’s got hunk written on it.”

Mason’s snort became a cackle. “Dave! She’s one of Vinnie’s friends. She pulled the same thing on me when we went. I’d keep her around if I were you.”

“No way! That’s funny. She was sweet as can be, but by the gods I can tell she’s a handful. I could’ve let her ramble on for hours. I’ll have to plan a double-date with y’all soon or something. Well, after Vin gets back to normal. How is he, by the way?”

“He’s fine,” Mason mumbled. “Just hate seein’ him this way. Dad had to carry me out of the house. I feel useless, Dave. So fucking useless! I want Vincent to wake up. I can’t hear his voice, I can’t see his smile… All I can do is sit on my ass.”

Dave flicked his cigarette towards his truck. “Remember what we used to tell each other when were pups?”

The alpha snorted. “Man up.”

“Damn right. Look at yourself. Where’s the confidence? Your mate needs you, and you’re out here acting like a sad sack of shit.”

Mason’s wolf wanted to snap at his beta for the rude name-calling. No, he’s right. I need to be strong right now, for both Vinnie and myself. He love-tapped Dave on the arm. “Didn’t need to be an ass about it, but thanks.”

“Any time, especially if I get to tell you you’re being an idiot. I’ll take every chance I get.” Dave laughed as Mason threatened to punch him again. “Easy, easy. C’mon, I brought some whiskey. Grab a pizza and sit with Vin. He needs you more than I do right now.”

Taking the beta’s advice, he brought another pizza to his chair next to Vincent. Eating half of it, Mason felt sleepy. He held Vincent’s hand and rested his head on the edge of the bed.

***

His eyes fluttered open. An ungodly smell irritated him. Vincent mumbled and took in his surroundings. Not aware of where he was, Vincent looked around and caught sight of Mason’s spiky hair. I’m on a bed. In a hospital? No, this doesn’t look like a hospital room. Seeing small cages on a countertop and pictures of cats and dogs on the walls, he understood. I’m at the clinic. Lifting an arm, he measured his strength. Still a little weak. Guess that makes sense considering things.

Mason snored, making Vincent smile. He managed to reach over and rub the alpha’s head. “Hey,” Vincent said hoarsely. “C’mon, big guy.”

“Jussabitlonger, Vivvie,” the wolf mumbled. When Vincent chuckled, Mason stirred. Disheveled and sleepy, Mason barely glanced at him with half-open eyes before nestling back into his arms. The head moved a little bit before shooting up. Fully awake, Mason stared. “Vinnie, you’re up! How long’ve you been—”

Vincent moved his hand to hold Mason’s and squeezed. He didn’t have much strength, but it was enough to calm the man down. “Few minutes,” he slurred. “Juss watchin’ you sleep. You look tired.”

Tears fell down the alpha’s face. “Don’t worry about me. It’s all you, baby.” Mason checked his phone and smiled. “It’s almost noon. Caleb said he’d be bringing some sandwiches from Nini’s. You’re probably starving.”

At the mention, Vincent’s hunger made itself known. “Sounds great. I’m starving.” He heard something faint outside the room, and Mason’s head swiveling confirmed he wasn’t going crazy. “What’s that?”

“Caleb’s here.”

When the enforcer walked in with a large, plastic bag, Caleb grinned. “Looks like I came in time. Before anyone asks, Doc said he should be fine to eat solid food. Here,” he said, tossing Mason a footlong, “stick that in your mouth. Your snoring had some people in the lobby asking questions.”

“I do not snore,” Mason growled, unwrapping his food and flashing his irises.

“Yeah, you do,” replied Vincent.

Despite what he expected, seeing Mason’s smirk made him giggle weakly.

Caleb pushed a rolling tray towards the bedridden mage and set another footlong on it. “Morrine wanted you to have this one. She cut it several times, just in case.”

It was a Mona Lisa oozing with cheese. Vincent licked his lips. Miss Morrine, you’re a lifesaver. He managed to pick up a piece and take a bite. Flavor burst inside his mouth. He could taste the grease from the pepperoni blended with the hearty marinara. Holy… This is beautiful. So good! After thirty minutes, he finished half of the sandwich. His mind wanted him to stop, but there was a lingering pull to keep going. Between eating and sipping from a cup of water, he caught Mason’s stare, then Caleb’s. “What?” He asked with his mouth full.

“Hungry?”

Looking down, Vincent was surprised. Only crumbs and sauce drippings remained on the wrapper. Jeez, was I that hungry? I mean, maybe. Could it be the lycanthropy kicking in? Yeah, that makes sense. He carefully folded his trash and moved the tray to the side.

Something felt off. What? I’m… I’m still hungry? What the fuck?

He noticed Mason was only a third of the way into his stromboli. Vincent eyed it with sudden envy. He shook his head and blinked a few times. Whoa! Where did that come from?

“Pup? You good?” Mason glanced between his sandwich and Vincent. “Want this? You seem a little hungrier than usual.”

When it was offered, Vincent took a bite. Chewing, he evaluated himself. I feel so much better now. What the fuck? Just from eating? He flexed an arm, finding his strength returning. That’s not right. From how I felt when I woke up, I should still be feeling like crap. Is this another perk of being turned? Eat food and feel great? Huh…

Wiping his fingers clean with a napkin, he noticed Caleb and Mason gawking. Wait… Vincent stared at the second sandwich’s wrapper. No way. This… This is getting ridiculous. He folded it, blushed, and admitted, “I’m still hungry.”

Caleb laughed while Mason simply smiled. “Looks like the virus’s working overtime. That’s good, though. What would you like? I’m sure Caleb doesn’t mind going back into town.”

Meat, a faint and monstrous voice spoke. Lots of meat. A burger! Big, juicy burger.

The idea sounded delectable. “I’d love a burger if that’s okay.”

Caleb nodded. “One monster burger coming up. I’ll even get a large fry, just in case. JD’s okay, Little B?”

Yes, yes! The voice murmured again, That good burger. Want!

Disturbed, Vincent hastily agreed. His heart raced. What the hell’s going on? What is that voice? It sounds ravenous… Oh. Remembering a detail about shifters. he turned to Mason as Caleb left the room. “So, when should I be noticing my wolf’s thoughts?”

Mason reclined in his chair. “A couple days. Why?”

“I think he’s already here. When Caleb mentioned a burger—” Vincent shivered in delight. “Oh gods, that burger sounds so good right now.” Seeing his mate raise an eyebrow, Vincent’s cheeks warmed. “This is weird. My thoughts are starting to sound really fuckin’ weird. Lots of incomplete sentences.”

The alpha seemed concerned. “Hang on a sec, Pup.” Mason tapped quickly on his phone. “I’m having Caleb pick up a few more burgers. I think your wolf’s developing faster than normal. That might be because you’re a human. Hell, it might be the full moon next week. It’s just a thought, but I’ll need to ask Dad. I’m a little in the dark on this one.”

“That’s okay, big guy. I’m just happy you’re with me.”

They talked for a few minutes, but Vincent blinked a few times. His vision blurred. “Need to clean my glasses.”

“I gotcha,” Mason answered, taking them.

Vincent took a breath as the lycan fogged up the lenses. I… I can see. Just after Mason wiped the right half, Vincent blinked again. “Umm, Mace?”

“One sec.”

“No. I can see. Mace, I can see!” The cabinet handles, the balling fuzz on the blanket… Holy shit! Vincent looked around the room and gasped. He pointed at the eye exam chart. “Mace, I can read that. Every fucking letter! Even the bottom line. P, E, Z, O, L, C, F, T, D!”

Mason folded the glasses and set them on the stand next to him. “That’s… great? Vision change doesn’t happen with turned humans for several days after the virus takes hold. I’m calling Dad,” he said, patting Vincent’s hand.

His bond heated, and a force pounded like a headache. Mate! The voice growled, Mate! Want mate!

Vincent grunted at the growing presence. Holding his head, he tried to push the invading speaker out of his mind.

“Vinnie,” Mason rasped. “Is your head hurting? Inside or out?”

Through the mental struggle, he squeaked, “In.”

“Vin, your wolf’s knocking on your mental doorstep. You won’t shift until next week, but if your wolf’s already born, he needs to be let loose. Do you feel him?”

Licking his lips, he felt a ball of warm energy in the back of his skull. Vincent hummed.

“Good,” Mason said with a sigh. “I need you to think about him, and pull him to the front. You’ll be letting him take control.”

Before Vincent could argue, one of Mason’s hands held his. “Remember. A lycan’s wolf is just like you. He’s not going to be a wild animal running loose. Letting him take control will help him learn and develop.”

Putting his faith in Mason, Vincent focused on the energy in his mind. Okay. Switching… Alright, wolfie. Time to meet Mace, I guess. Pulling on it, the ball came forward. At the same time, he felt a part of himself moving backward. What the fuck is—

Human, said the deep voice. You human.

To Vincent, it sounded like his own voice, but scruffy and demonic. Y-yeah. Well, kind of. Are you my wolf?

Yes. I wolf. Strong wolf. You… You not strong, but you strong. How this?

Strong? You mean my magic?

Magic? We do magic? Magic strong?

Well, kind of. I’m still learning more about it all, but it makes me… Us. It makes us strong. We can make ice and turn it into weapons and shields. We can also use shadows to move fast and do other things.

Fast! We strong. I like, this good. I strong wolf. How… How I come to be?

I met Mason. He likes to be called Mace.

He mate!

Yeah. He’s the local alpha. We just completed our bond, and when he bit me, I got the lycanthropy virus.

I… The wolf slowed, sounding concerned. I mated to alpha? I belong to alpha?

Mace and I belong to each other. Apparently, we were destined by the Seven.

Destined mate. Interest.

Vincent snorted. Do you mean interesting?

Yes. Word not so good with.

You’re doing fine.

Gone was the sinister voice demanding meat. In its place was a beastly yet controlled version of himself. Vincent enjoyed the conversation they were having. He cringed. Right. Would you like to talk to Mace? To get to know him?

Yes!

Vincent felt the animal’s excitement.

Want talk to mate!

Continuing the transition, he pushed his wolf’s energy to the front. Just be careful, okay? Our body isn’t healed completely from Mace’s bite.

Okay. Be good and still.

No longer in control of his own movements, Vincent watched as his wolf scanned the room. What this place?

It’s a clinic. I was hurt when Mace bit me to complete our bond. It’d be best to sit still.

Yes. Feel tired. No like smell—

“Vincent’s wolf, I assume?”

His vision spun as Vincent stared at Mason. The alpha was grinning. Big wolf! S-stronger wolf. Alpha mate. “Yes, I wolf. Who Vin… cent?”

Mason chuckled. “You are Vincent. That’s my mate’s name, which makes it your name.”

The wolf understood. “I Vincent. You Mace. Human said name Mace.”

“Yep. I take it you know you’re not fit to run around just yet?”

Vincent nodded. “Human tell me to sit. I sit. You alpha? You mate me?”

The man’s gaze never strayed from Vincent’s. “I’m the pack alpha of the local territory.”

A sense of pride flooded his mind and body. “Pack? There pack? Is pack big? Strong?”

“The pack isn’t large,” Mason admitted, kicking up a leg, “but it’s tightly knit. I’d call it strong.”

“Lot of wolf?”

“It’s not a normal wolf pack, no. We have many different kinds of shifters. That makes us even stronger.”

Vincent leaned his neck to the side. “What kind shifter? Bear?”

“We have a bear or two. Mostly wolves, a couple of coyotes, and even a tiger. She’s the one who made those sandwiches from earlier.”

Recalling the meal, the wolf licked his lips. “Sandwich good. Good, hot meat. Is tiger good?”

Mason laughed. “She’s something. Morrine means well. She picks on me, but I like it. We also have a lion and a leopardess. The lion’s your delta and enforcer. He should be back in a bit.”

“Lion! Excite… He strong?”

“Very. His name’s Caleb. He’s actually an old childhood friend of your human side. He’s bringing you more food—”

Hearing of more to eat, Vincent swung his legs off the side of the bed. Yes, more—

“Woah, hold on now,” instructed Mason. “Your body’s not at a hundred percent yet. You should stay in bed a bit longer.”

While he had the strength, the wolf felt there was potential to be better. Need rest. Hate lay down. Feel like submit. I no submit!

Hey, just relax, said his human mind. I know how you might think that, but you’re letting our body get better. Once that happens, we can run around and—

Yes, run! I rest to run. He scooted further onto the bed and fumbled with the cloth at his feet. “What this do?”

Mason grabbed it and draped it over his lower half. “This goes here. It helps to keep you warm.”

“See. I like.” Examining his mate, something did not appear right to Vincent. “You alpha. Why nice? Alpha need rule. Must lead.”

“I do lead, but I do it by being nice. I’ll be strict when it’s called for, but for the most part it’s not necessary.”

Vincent stared at his covered feet. He scowled. Thoughts and questions flowed through the wolf’s mind. Looking back at Mason, he asked, “I mated to alpha. That make me alpha?”

“You’re the pack’s Mated Alpha, but I can tell by your voice that you’re strong on your own. My mate’s lucky to have you.”

Smiling, he parted his lips to show his teeth. “I strong wolf. Human strong. Pack strong. Good… all good.”

Mason watched as his mate sat up straight. “Would you like to speak with my wolf?”

Bounding with joy, Vincent nearly leaped from the bed. “Yes! Want meet wolf.”

Mason closed his eyes, then opened them to reveal golden irises. “My mate. Wolven mate.”

Vincent’s heart fluttered at the power showcased. “Alpha wolf. Mate wolf. Good to talk.”

“You bare mark,” the alpha growled. “My mark. Smell good. Smell like mine.”

Scanning both sides of Mason’s neck, Vincent was unsatisfied. “I no mark you. Want mark.”

“Soon, when ready.”

He grasped what was said. When ready. Yes. Many question. Want know more. Searching within his own desires, the wolf was conflicted by a primary instinct. “Yes. Need submit, but not want submit. Why?”

The alpha smirked and leaned forward. “Reason simple. You alpha wolf.”

Copyright © 2020 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Love 46
  • Wow 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I loved how you did the conversations between both wolf's which helps the turned mate understand better. As like everyone else, I have never seen that before. That was brilliant. I still think Vincent has more learning on the turning process and to get Lei's and Elaine's input might help a little. And maybe an older council (EC) member might be able to help there. But I am sure you already thought of something since I am still so far behind in the story since I am 9 chapters away from chapter 32.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Leave it to Vinnie to be as uncommon in his shifting as he has been in his magecraft. His wolf is an alpha. He is going to be a real force to be reckoned with.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I absolutely LOVE Vin's puppy! Trying so hard to be a grown up wolf already, and absolutely shaking with that happy puppy quiver!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Kitt said:

I absolutely LOVE Vin's puppy! Trying so hard to be a grown up wolf already, and absolutely shaking with that happy puppy quiver!

I love this comment! I think you're going to find Vincent's wolf (commonly referred to as VincentW in the comments) is acting like a puppy, but has more adult intentions. :gikkle:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This is an exciting plot twist; following the physical and intellectual development if a shifter's wolf is going to make fascinating reading, especially because Vincent is going to learn how to be an Alpha along with the wolf's development. I do not know of ever having seen that process in any shifter story. Your story has had a few slower spots, but this twist opens up a very unique opportunity for your creative skills. 'You go Astone!

  • Love 2
Link to comment

This chapter is like nothing else I've ever read!  In any of the past shifter stories, the actual journey, the transition has never been so incredibly described.  The whole mental process and the conversation between the wolves is awesome! (And I don't use that word often.)  Mind blown!  And still through all of it, you have continued to infuse everyone with such deep caring and love.  So glad I've found your stories!  I look forward to continuing reading the rest of this one and several more beyond.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Quixo said:

This chapter is like nothing else I've ever read!  In any of the past shifter stories, the actual journey, the transition has never been so incredibly described.  The whole mental process and the conversation between the wolves is awesome! (And I don't use that word often.)  Mind blown!  And still through all of it, you have continued to infuse everyone with such deep caring and love.  So glad I've found your stories!  I look forward to continuing reading the rest of this one and several more beyond.

Halfway into writing this story, I knew I needed something drastic to differentiate it from similar shifter stories. Bingo! Mental conversations with the shifter's animal spirit. I kept reading small blurbs of "My wolf doesn't like this." Let's just crank that up a few notches. 

I'm happy to see you're having a great time with my stories! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Crying and laughing and all the emotions churned by this chapter. Vincent’s wolf is precious. Precious and dangerous, I suspect. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
39 minutes ago, Dan South said:

Crying and laughing and all the emotions churned by this chapter. Vincent’s wolf is precious. Precious and dangerous, I suspect. 

Precious and dangerous. I love this description! I don't think we'll get a better two words for Vincent's wolf. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Hmm interesting how Vinnie’s wolf is turning out to be, I think that he maybe a bit power hungry and bossy. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Bft said:

Hmm interesting how Vinnie’s wolf is turning out to be, I think that he maybe a bit power hungry and bossy. 

Give him a few chapters. He's still a puppy. 

black wolf pup GIF

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Loved this chapter, the wolfs having their first little chat together so sweet,                                              and I got hungry real hungry!

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Dickbrokemyheart said:

Loved this chapter, the wolfs having their first little chat together so sweet,                                              and I got hungry real hungry!

Prepare to be hungry frequently with my stories. Keep snacks on hand. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..