Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 280 Words
  • 582 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sticks and Stories - 4. Simplify

The scorching tears have left their scars. My eyelids burn when I blink. I'm not sure if the pain will subside. I hope not. If it does, it means I've forgotten you. If I must cry more, then it shall be done. The thought of you gone seems surreal.

You've taught me more than my college educators. I never forget a worthy mentor. Your blunt and brash feedback drove me to places I've yet to witness. Your skill and passion reminded me of what you saw when you sent me that first message. Sixty-thousand words, you took from me, and I'll forever remember the weight. Even now, I feel the shadow of your big, red pen.

The proper time has not passed for me to reflect. Still, I must write. That's what you taught me. Harness that raw emotion. Push through and don't take any bullshit. Perfect the art and speak the truth, regardless if it lies in fiction. Learn the rules so I might lawfully break them. Dance with grammar, punctuation, and a character's true self in order to spin a tale. And lest I forget, reference the dictionary.

I feel you smiling. That makes me happy. I know you're riding the streets of both Heaven and Hell, leaving burn marks aplenty. I can imagine the people you're conversing with, having meaningful arguments with, and properly flipping off when they refuse to see reason. I, for one, can't wait to meet you when my time comes. To finally sip wine and smoke cigars with you… I suppose I must wait.

I hear that magical word. "Simplify."

Fine. As you wish, my asshole editor.

I'll miss you, Carlos.

Rest in peace, Carlos. Your presence in our little community will always be remembered.
Copyright © 2022 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 15
  • Sad 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I am so sorry for everyone's loss of Carlos's passing. I didn't know him as well as the most of you but from some of the stories I have read of his, they are excellent. May God keep his arms around everyone with love, in the loss of Carlos. Aaron, keep your stories coming so Carlos can look upon you and know he was the inspiration of your writing! 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Story Reader said:

I am so sorry for everyone's loss of Carlos's passing. I didn't know him as well as the most of you but from some of the stories I have read of his, they are excellent. May God keep his arms around everyone with love, in the loss of Carlos. Aaron, keep your stories coming so Carlos can look upon you and know he was the inspiration of your writing! 

Thanks, SR. His passing is still on my mind. It's been rough but I know he'd want me to suck it up and keep writing. I'll always channel my inner Carlos when I proofread and edit my work. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment

So sorry to hear of his passing.... this was a beautiful tribute to him.  ❤️

  • Love 3
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Patch1 said:

So sorry to hear of his passing.... this was a beautiful tribute to him.  ❤️

He'll be missed. 

  • Sad 3
Link to comment

Great tribute to an even greater author. Carlos will definitely be missed. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..