Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 605 Words
  • 326 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sticks and Stories - 5. If I Had One Wish

This comedic short is dedicated to one of my favorite customers, "Handsome" Robert. For clarification, he is not handsome by physical definition. He is handsome because he's an absolute joy to be around. Every time he comes into the store, we stop everything we're doing and trade jokes. Sometimes they're "Dad" jokes, sometimes they're quick quips, and like this tale, some are long, drawn-out stories that end with us in tears. In all my years in the retail industry, no other customer has brought me such happiness. I look forward to seeing him next week.
The following was a joke he told me today, and I had to bring it to life on GA.

It was a quiet night at Bangin' Tap, a quaint bar in the middle of nowhere. Locally owned and operated, people drove miles just to drink at the humorously named establishment. Quirky and funny decor lined the walls, along with the stereotypical sports memorabilia. Every light gave a warm glow– not an LED in sight, aside from a few neon brand signs.

It felt like a home away from home for many men, including the employees. They were all known by name, preferred sports team, and favorite ball cap. Many laughs were had each night, and the speaker system played jam after jam.

This night was different. Mondays had its hiccups, but this one was eerily dead. A few stools and booths were occupied, but the barkeep worried if they would break even.

A jingle from the doorbell clanged, and a man in a trench coat entered. The man seemed weary and broken as he sauntered to a seat at the bar. Eager for business, the bartender took the man's simple order; a pint of Yuengling Flight. Just as he strolled away for the glass, the worker noticed the man fumbling for something in a pocket.

Imagine his surprise when a foot-tall man in a suit was plucked. The frail legs swung with grace before being set onto the counter. As if he was impatient, the tiny man crossed his arms and sighed.

The patron searched the coat's other side, revealing an equally small, classical piano. Once placed, the minuscule being walked to it, sat, and played. An eloquent melody filled the air around the man as the barkeep poured from the draft.

The sight was beyond odd. It should have been impossible. How could a man be so small? Why was he inside another man's pocket? Curiosity got the better of the bartender.

He set the pint down on a coaster and put weight on his elbow. "Sorry," he muttered, "it's none of my business, and it's not against… Well, it's not against the rules for him to be playing music, but how?"

"You mean why do I have a man and piano in my pocket?"

Swallowing out of nervousness, the barkeep nodded.

"You see," the patron said before taking a sip of beer. "You're not going to believe me, but there's a genie out there. He offered to grant me a wish."

"A-a wish?" The concept sounded bizarre and outlandish. Then again, there was a tiny musician stroking piano keys.

"If you hurry," the patron added, "the genie might still be out there on the sidewalk."

The opportunity had to be true. It was too golden. The barkeep dashed around the workstation. Gasps and murmurs came from the other customers as he bolted out the door.

Not thirty seconds later, an endless horde of ducks came through the same door. The people panicked as the flock dispersed in many directions. Obnoxious quacks overpowered the jukebox’s music. A lady shrieked as one hopped on her table, picking at her onion rings. Several ducks managed to climb to the top of the bar, activating nearly every draft beer. One reached the register, nipping at ethernet and USB cords. Bangin’ Tap was filled with birds!

All the while, the mysterious patron and his piano man sat undisturbed.

The barkeep, with feathers sticking out of his clothes, returned with fury. He stomped up to the man, grabbed his collar, and yelled, "That genie! Why didn't you tell me he couldn't hear clearly? I asked for a million bucks. Bucks, not ducks!"

The man glared, equally irritated. "Yeah? You think I asked for an eleven-inch pianist?"

Copyright © 2022 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 4
  • Haha 18
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

25 minutes ago, mansexlover said:

What a lovely funny tale x   no coffee cup in my hand.......

It was super fun to write! I might have to add more of Robert's jokes to this collection. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, astone2292 said:

It was super fun to write! I might have to add more of Robert's jokes to this collection. 

Good! That's the kind of thinking I like.  It is also a big reason I follow Sticks and Stories. That's why I'm all Fanboy for your stories.

 Surprise Shock GIF by The Great British Bake Off

  • Love 5
Link to comment
40 minutes ago, Story Reader said:

OMG! That is the funniest thing I have ever read! Thanks for the laugh. I needed that today.

Always happy to cause giggles and guffaws!

  • Love 5
Link to comment
6 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I think my friend came across the same genie. He wished for his unit to touch the ground......his legs fell off.

That's really funny! Like, really forkin' funny. 

  • Love 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..