Jump to content
    astroguy
  • Author
  • 3,898 Words
  • 1,410 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Learning a New Life - 10. Chapter 10

Murder in Bar, No Body, Police Baffled

by Camera reporter James Monroe

At approximately 8:00 PM last night, September 15, several diners at O'Conner's Pub in downtown Boulder witnessed and reported a brutal murder. According to eyewitness reports, two men were talking at the bar when one pulled out a knife and stabbed the other, then lit him on fire.

The murderer escaped without anyone seeing where he went, and police are trying to determine what happened to the body of the man allegedly murdered.

Despite a packed room, no one was able to report on many details of the crime. Witnesses confirmed the basics of the case, but none could describe details.

The police say this matches a few much older unsolved cases, but they refused to release any details.

 

Joanna put down the morning paper. Between Susan, she, and Michael, they had been able to contain most of the damage from John. Susan was still exhausted from the effort and was resting soundly in bed upstairs, for it was a great deal of energy to modify the bulk of peoples' memories of the incident.

Before they had gotten far, several people had already called the police, so they knew they could not suppress it all. Representing it as a basic homicide was the best they could hope for. Nate was not yet old enough to modify memories, so the other three had to do it "the old-fashioned way," as Joanna put it.

After they had finished and Nate transported back to the womens' home, Susan went straight to bed while Joanna got on the phone and called two of her contacts in China to alert them about what was coming. Michael stayed with her in the kitchen. After she was done, Joanna asked Michael into the living room to discuss what could be done next. Nate followed Michael.

It is an interesting quirk of human psychology how a crisis can turn people deeply suspicious of each other into fast allies, but such was the case with Joanna and Michael.

Joanna started by asking the seemingly obvious question of Nate: "Can you prevent John from doing this?"

Nate paused for several moments and closed his eyes. Beneath the lids, Michael could see them moving very rapidly before he suddenly opened them and answered her. "I cannot." Joanna let out an exasperated sigh, and Nate continued. "He is being shielded by a power beyond my ability to control at this time. Otherwise, I would suggest a simple memory spell to make him forget his purpose, for, as you know, I cannot kill."

"Can you shield the Glen?" Michael asked, his voice higher than normal, hopeful.

"With him shielded from me and if, as you say, he knows a spell to remove their illusions, I cannot prevent his attack."

"Fine, then we're back to the beginning," Joanna stated. "We need to warn them, again. Michael, can you … you know … do what you did last time?" she asked as she looked discretely to Nate.

Michael shook his head. "The vessel used must be in itself extremely powerful, and we have no such vessel to spare. Without it to act as a conduit for the spell, the fire is useless."

"How much can the elves protect themselves?" Joanna asked.

"I don't know," Michael replied. "Their magic is different from yours." Joanna looked at him and was about to ask but Michael interrupted, answering her unspoken question. "Yes, I said, 'yours.' I've come to realize over the past several months that my abilities are somehow 'different.' I don't know exactly how. But, it's like, you use your book and ingredients and cast spells and make potions and stuff. I can do that. But I seem to have a more inherent manipulative ability of magic. It's like the elves', but it's not. Maybe it's a cross between both. I don't know …"

Joanna looked at him unsure what to make of this revelation. «Is the boy just imagining this? Is he arrogant? Or is he deluded? Or, could it be true? The Book makes allusions to this kind of thing, but no one has ever encountered it.»

In the end, while Michael was staring off into space as he sometimes did, Joanna concluded it didn't matter. They each had their own inherent abilities they could count on, and with several days preparation, they could mount some form of defense plan. Then she realized Michael hadn't answered her initial question. "How much can the elves protect themselves?"

Brought out of his daydream, Michael continued from before. "As I said, I don't know. It never came up. I was raised as Corther's son, but he never showed me any battle plans or defenses or anything. All I know is that they were always proud of their illusions and cloaking. And command of nature."

"Maybe that can help? What kind of 'command of nature?'"

Michael shook his head again, slowly. "I don't really know."

"You lived with them for eighteen years!"

"Yes, but that doesn't mean they told me everything about them. Remember, they're very wary of humans, and even though Corther was the leader, many were still uneasy around me. Like you – only for a different reason," he looked pointedly at Joanna, who glanced down. "Seriously, even though your own grandson is …?"

The woman didn't answer.

Michael continued, "It's not like they showed me their deepest darkest secrets. I know they can hide 'most anything, but that doesn't help if John knows a spell to destroy that enchantment. I know that they can manipulate subtle magical forces of the forest, so can help plants grow, or transport them, or bend or shape them. I know they're allies with other magical creatures in the forest. Fairies, centaurs, nymphs, gnomes. I know they are at least on speaking terms with sylphs and undines, but that's about it."

"Then it seems as though we need to warn them and get them to draw up a defense plan. Maybe their allies can help?"

"We can try. But they're very proud, and they have a right to be. I don't know how open they will be to you."

"To us."

"Us?"

"Michael," the woman said as she stood and walked over to the couch, sitting on the other side of him to Nate. "This is what we do. Yes, we have our lives to live," she looked directly into his eyes, "however we choose to live them. We have our hopes, our dreams, our goals, our friends," she paused and looked up to Nate before turning back to Michael, "and our loves. But we were put on this Earth to protect. Protect innocent people, protect the magical community, and to help those in need when we can.

"It's what we do. So we need to find the Glen, we need to warn them, and if they don't take our advice, then it's our job to try to stop John. At this point it's not just the elves in danger: If John manages to defeat them and gain their power, the whole world is in trouble. It's like putting out a match before it grows into a raging fire. If we don't succeed, if we don't risk everything now, there will be nothing left to risk later."

Michael sat silently as he listened to the old woman's words. Deep down, in the unconscious core of his being, an understanding that she was right took hold and grew. He looked over to Nate, overwhelmed by the enormity of the situation. He put his head down in Nate's lap.

Nate looked over to Joanna, and she stood up. "You can take care of him?" she asked.

Nate nodded.

"We need to work on this quickly. Can you have him here at 9:00 tomorrow morning?"

Nate nodded again.

"Then I will see you tomorrow," Joanna finished, and Nate with Michael disappeared.

Joanna walked around the first floor, turning off the lights, before she climbed the stairs to go to her own bedroom. After she changed into her nightgown, she gently and quietly peered into her grandson Shawn's bedroom. He was fast asleep. She then went to her younger grandson, Will's, bedroom, and checked on him, too.

She hated how her daughter had bound their powers, making them as weak as normal humans. The things they were missing, the things she could teach them … the relationship they could heal and build. She shook her head sadly as she walked back to her bedroom. She had been around a long time and regretted how her dedication to the broader magical community had allowed her relationship with her grandchildren to deteriorate. While she was out saving other peoples' lives, she had neglected her own and those she cared about.

Perhaps she could be that person for Michael, a grandmother figure. The thought put a smile on her lips as she faded into sleep.

* * * * *

As Joanna put down the morning paper, Michael and Nate appeared in the room. Nate looked the same as always to her, while Michael wore a somber expression. Joanna felt almost guilty about the bluntness of her conversation with him last night.

She stood up and asked him if she could get him breakfast. Michael nodded his head, and she went about the kitchen making him banana pancakes. She had left-over batter from two hours earlier when she had made some for Shawn and Will before ushering them off to school. While she was cooking, Susan came down the stairs and into the kitchen, yawning, still wearing her clothes from last night. Despite her tired state, she was still surprised at the scene that greeted her: Her mother cooking, pleasantly, while both Michael and Nate sat and watched.

"Okay, who are you and what have you done with my mother?"

Joanna turned to her daughter and smiled. "Michael and I have an understanding. Right?" she looked over to Michael.

He looked to Susan and nodded. Joanna went back to cooking.

Susan shook her head and sat down. "Okay, I'm too tired to ask. I'll just be thankful and we'll go from there."

Joanna put a plate with two pancakes in front of her and another in front of Michael. She turned to Nate and quizzically asked, "I checked, but I couldn't really find out. Do you eat?"

"I can eat, but I don't need to. Given the tasks at hand, there's no reason to make me anything."

Joanna nodded and sat while she watched Susan and Michael eat hurriedly. They finished and Susan cleared their plates.

When Susan was back at the table, Joanna started. "Michael and I talked last night. The elves may have defenses, we're not sure, and they may be able to call upon other allies in the area. But there is a distinct possibility we're on our own with this.

"The first thing we need to do is to try to find them to warn them. So, let's go up to the attic." The four rose and walked to and then up the stairs. "I know we found them before, but the entrance to the Glen shifts in our world and we have to search again."

After they entered the attic, Joanna brought out a broad map of the area. She looked through the pendants that hung from the wall before selecting a large clear-white quartz crystal that protruded from a setting surrounded by emeralds.

Then, in a move that further surprised Susan, she handed it to Michael. "Michael, you have the greatest connection with them. You should do the scrying. Susan and I will help focus and amplify you, but it's your connection we need."

Michael went over to the map and held the crystal over it by the length of chain. He closed his eyes and tried to empty his mind of all thoughts other than the Glen. Of running free through the woods with the other children. Meeting his first nymph as she danced alongside them when he was eight. Watching with delight as the fairies swirled over his head when Corther introduced them on his eleventh birthday. Solemnly visiting the gnome city with Corther and his envoy when he was fifteen, and watching the centaur herds as he grew taller. He thought of the love he had felt from his foster tribe. But he felt no motion from the crystal.

Michael opened his eyes and realized that Susan had her hand on his left shoulder while Joanna had hers on his right.

"How long?" he asked.

"Two hours," Susan sighed.

Michael was amazed. To him, it hardly seemed as though any time had passed.

"And you said that Nate can't locate them?" Susan asked.

"Right," Nate spoke up.

Everyone was quiet for a few minutes. Then Joanna got an idea. "He may not be able to locate them, but can't he amplify our attempts to find them?"

"We can try," Nate replied.

"Okay, let's try again," Susan directed.

This time, the arrangement was much as before, but Nate stood behind Michael and wrapped his arms around, placing his hands on Michael's chest. Michael closed his eyes again and thought back to the Glen. This time, the detail was more vivid than he knew it had been originally. His thoughts raced, and he struggled to focus on the task at hand. Memories came flooding at him to the point that he thought he would collapse from the intensity, but then he felt it move. The chain was being pulled from him, and as he opened his eyes the crystal flew from his hand and embedded itself in the map at a location in the foothills of the mountains.

"Nate –"

"– done."

The four found themselves in a small forest clearing with the sun at the high point in the sky.

Michael took the lead and called out, "Corther! I know you can hear me. We need to talk – you're in danger again! I've brought friends who may help."

The four waited. The leaves around them rustled, and Susan and Joanna felt a distinct impression they were being watched. Michael knew he was being watched. Nate could see they were being watched as his eyes followed the forms hidden by trees and magic but not to him.

Nate watched as an old elf he had seen on the first day he could remember emerged from the trees and walked towards them. As he left the underbrush and entered the clearing, his illusion melted away as dewdrops shaken from a morning branch and he became visible to the remainder of the group.

"Such a claim should not be made lightly, my child."

The term of affection was not lost on Michael as his old yearnings crept to the surface. But Joanna was right: He had to put his own desires in check. "It is a claim that is true. These women have helped me make my life, they are my friends." Susan looked to her mother and smiled.

Michael continued, "And you are in danger." The trees were shaking again around them, though Nate could see that it was not the trees, but dozens of elves among them talking in hushed tones, masked to outside ears. Corther's eyes wandered among them momentarily before returning to bore into Michael.

"Let us go and discuss this a little more privately. Your … friends," he gestured towards the other three, "will wait here."

Michael walked forward and, though he was half a head taller than the man who raised him, Corther placed his arm around Michael's shoulder as the two walked towards the trees and through the veil of illusion, disappearing from sight.

"What now?" Susan turned to her mother.

"We wait," she replied simply. She pulled a handkerchief from her pocket and whispered a quick spell to it, and then she hastily threw it to the ground as it expanded into a large, thick towel upon which she sat.

Susan joined her and then said, "Mom, you really need to teach me some of these spells that you've just invented over the years."

Joanna laughed. "In time, my dear. And everything is in The Book. It is our heritage, our birthright, our legacy, and our burden."

They let several minutes go by sitting on the towel, thinking, and looking around, and thinking more. Nate stood watching where Corther and his master/boyfriend disappeared. Susan broke the silence by asking, "What do we do if they won't protect themselves?"

Joanna looked at the grass before responding, "Then we try to do it for them. You know the risks as much as I do if John is successful. For years they've been mounting ever stronger attacks, but this one really takes the cake. I've never heard of such a bold move. We've made too many sacrifices already; too many retreats. They invade our city, kill our friends, and we fall back after minor retribution. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further."

"And what if the demon shows up?"

Joanna didn't answer. They both knew that if that happened, there was no chance of success.

* * * * *

After nearly an hour had gone by, Nate called to the two women that Michael was returning. The two stood up and Joanna returned the towel to her pocket after speaking the counter-spell.

Michael's head hung slightly lower and his face bore a solemn expression as he returned to the others and Corther addressed them as well as those hidden.

"Michael has explained the situation for which you have come to warn us. Our defenses are sufficient, our abilities suited to ward off such an attack. We thank you for your concern, but it is unnecessary. Farewell." He walked out of the clearing and disappeared through the trees such that even Nate could no longer see him. In fact, they all felt as though the magic in the area had suddenly increased a tremendous amount, though to Susan and Joanna, the perception was at the edge of their awareness.

"Nate, there's nothing more we can do here. Take us back to their house."

* * * * *

When they arrived home, Joanna and Susan went into their backyard, passing through the greenhouse that had initially intrigued Michael so many months earlier. He looked around the yard, bordered by a high but attractive fence, and lined with many large trees and shrubs. Lavender was plentiful though the blooms were fading given the season, and the trees were tall oaks, ash, and hawthorn. Michael realized that these trees were out of place, they did not belong in Colorado, but then he grasped their purpose as he watched Joanna.

After reciting the Magical Sight spell, Joanna called up to the trees and implored. What looked initially like fireflies began to gather around them, appearing to fall from the leaves like pollen. To Michael, the fireflies were at the edge of his vision, a deep violet color, and he quickly cast the spell on himself, as well.

It was then that he saw what he already knew: Each light was a fairy. They measured between 6 and 9 inches high and looked just as people with a few minor differences. These, being forest fairies, had a distinct greenish tint to their skin and wings. The wings were not as butterflies, and while they were indistinct and shining appeared as many layers of gossamer, floating behind the creature, delicate but powerful and without definite form. As they were moving, one would have a difficult time discerning where their robes ended and their wings began. When they alighted, even then they was not clear as their wings appeared to collapse down and disappear in a small display of light. The reappeared as soon as the fairy started to again move.

By the time Michael and Nate had joined the two women, well over one hundred had gathered around them, flying or floating randomly, though paying distinct attention to the older woman as she started to speak.

"We come asking for your help. A powerful warlock, backed by a demon, is going to launch a raid on the elven glen in two days at dawn. We have been to the elves to warn them, but they refuse our help or to ask for other assistance.

"We cannot afford for the warlock to win. If he is successful, he will absorb all their magic, all their knowledge, and he could be unstoppable.

"I come to you now to ask that the alliance you and I had decades ago be rekindled. I also come to ask that you recruit others who can help our cause, other forest creatures to repel and eliminate this threat."

At this point, the cloud of fairies was moving at a dizzying sped as they considered Joanna's request. Then, nearly instantaneously, the cloud moved to converge around Michael.

One of the fairies asked softly, but in a voice heard by all of them, "What does the elf-raised boy say?"

Michael looked around with a surprised look. "You know of me?"

"Yes," came the reply from a chorus in all directions.

Michael looked to Nate who was standing next to him. Nate reached down and grasped Michael's hand, squeezing it reassuringly. Michael breathed and replied in what he hoped was a measured voice, "I don't know what eventual dangers may come. I don't know if the elven defenses will hold, and I don't know if we can succeed if they fail. But I am willing to risk my life to try to save theirs'."

The cloud of lit beings moved around again as each talked to the other. Finally, one fairy, looking no different than the rest, moved forward. "Very long ago, an alliance existed between all magical creatures and humans for the good of all and to stave off evil. We believe that in the future, that alliance will be needed again. Perhaps this is the beginning of it. We will try to help you."

With that pontification, all the lights rushed upwards towards the trees as one, and then scattered in every direction. Joanna, Susan, and Michael cancelled their vision spells and all four returned to the house. It was still early afternoon, but to the humans it seemed as though it should have been much later in the day.

The four discussed their plans for Sunday, agreeing to meet in the house an hour past midnight and have Nate transport them back to the clearing after they scryed for it again, for Michael was certain Corther would have moved the entrance after their visit.

As the afternoon wore on, Michael and Nate took their leave and transported back to his home to rest, relax, and prepare.

Joanna spent the rest of the day in the attic. After Shawn and Will came home from school and Susan made them all dinner, she suggested that they each phone a friend and go for a weekend sleepover. A not uncommon suggestion, they each dutifully did so and ten minutes later Susan was committed to dropping them off the next morning. After the boys went to bed, Susan joined her mother in the attic to make potions and refresh her memory on a few spells, looking for their most powerful.

We have the build up to the climax with this chapter. The battle is in the next with the resolution in chapter 12 and dénouement in 13.

As before, please keep the comments coming. I have a discussion thread here (http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/31960-learning-a-new-life-by-astroguy/) if you would like to comment more and/or offer specific advice!

Copyright © 2011 astroguy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..