Jump to content

The Jock and the Bookworm

   (11 reviews)
Genres: General Fiction
Sub-genres: Coming of Age

An athletic high-school senior and a studious freshman form an unusual friendship.

Copyright © 2023 Backwoods Boy; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (18 members)

  • Action Packed 3
  • Addictive/Pacing 8
  • Characters 17
  • Chills 3
  • Cliffhanger 0
  • Compelling 11
  • Feel-Good 18
  • Humor 5
  • Smoldering 6
  • Tearjerker 1
  • Unique 8
  • World Building 5

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

drsawzall

   12 of 12 members found this review helpful 12 / 12 members

Once again Backwoods Boy gives us a wonderful short story and so very well worth the time to read!!

This will grab you right from the beginning and leave you with a warm, happy smile!!

Response from the author:

Thanks very much for your kind comments.

  • Like 1
  • Love 10
Link to review
Mancunian

   12 of 12 members found this review helpful 12 / 12 members

Although short and sweet it shows a natural development of emotional attraction. My only criticism is that it's too short, unless there is a follow-up planned. Well worth a read as it warms you from the inside.

Response from the author:

Thanks for your review, Mancunian.  I appreciate your support.

  • Like 3
  • Love 8
Link to review
SnowBear

   11 of 11 members found this review helpful 11 / 11 members

A very cute little story that warms the heart and makes you think of your childhood however long ago that might have been. 

My only complaint is that it's over, I could easily read many chapters staring Cody and Matt 

Response from the author:

Thank you, SnowBear.  I'm glad the story encouraged you to reminisce.

  • Like 3
  • Love 8
Link to review
PBax

   11 of 11 members found this review helpful 11 / 11 members

This is not what I was looking for today, but put a jock in front of me and there is a good chance I'll take a second look. 😀 You hooked me with the opening. Then I was all emotionally invested after the wonderful solo I envisioned with the rain on the window. I was straight to chapter two. Summers and tailgates make me happy and I enjoyed how you put the scenes together. I'm glad I took a look. I enjoyed the story and thanks for sharing. 

Response from the author:

Thanks very much for your observations, PBax.  I'm glad you found the story interesting.

  • Love 11
Link to review
Gary L

   10 of 10 members found this review helpful 10 / 10 members

Not sure how I came across this little gem, but I’m glad I did.  Read it, think of one’s youth, smile and click to authors story page and get reading, they are really good 😊 

Response from the author:

Thanks very much for your review, Gary.  I appreciate your support.

  • Like 1
  • Love 9
Link to review
raven1

   10 of 10 members found this review helpful 10 / 10 members

A very pastoral story that tells of two young men from when they first meet to finally realizing what they mean to each other.  It is another fine story displaying @Backwoods Boy's ability to create a story that captures the reader's heart.  

Response from the author:

Thank you for your kind words and continued support, Terry.

  • Like 2
  • Love 9
Link to review
chris191070

   9 of 9 members found this review helpful 9 / 9 members

We follow a Jock and a bookworm, as they form an unusual friendship.

You really need to read this short story to discover more. It will leave you with a smile and a warm happy feeling.

Response from the author:

Thanks for your review and your ongoing encouragement, Chris.

  • Like 1
  • Love 9
Link to review
ReaderPaul

   8 of 8 members found this review helpful 8 / 8 members

I thought I had already reviewed this fine story.  The friendship of Matt and Cody starts early, and grows in a gradual and reasonable way.  The relationship progresses and ends up well.

The story is a quick read, but excellent.  

Response from the author:

Thanks for your review, Paul.  I appreciate your support.

  • Like 1
  • Love 6
Link to review
gdaniel

   8 of 8 members found this review helpful 8 / 8 members

This story was written years ago, so I don't know if anyone will see my review, but I truly enjoyed it. Short, but oh, so sweet. The author took time to develop a love-based relationship and didn't find the need for graphic sex. I think just about all of us like the sex parts, but the love is what's really important.

Response from the author:

Thanks very much for your review.  I appreciated your comments about a love-based relationship, as it's a direction in which I'm trying to move.

  • Like 4
  • Love 7
Link to review
Cane23

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

Don't be fooled by the title of this story because it is not another typical high school coming of age story. In this two-chapter tale we see Cody and Matt, how they are getting to know each other, their bonding, sharing of interests and, finally, reaching love. It is beautiful how they influence each other positively. They share interest in music, Matt helps Cody with literature, Cody helps Matt getting physically stronger. They end up for a summer work at Cody's farm, where they are working together, playing instruments together, spending a lot of time together which results in discovering their mutual feelings. 

It's really charming story. You'll leave with positive filing, longing for some epilogue or sequence of their life in the future. 

  • Love 6
Link to review
drown

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

This is a very endearing short story of two people falling in love. Everyone in this story is a little too perfect, and this is exactly what I needed today. Don't get me wrong though, the characters are deep and thoughtful, as this story doesn't just scratch the surface.

  • Love 5
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..