Jump to content
    btaoc1963
  • Author
  • 21,778 Words
  • 2,028 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Order - 17. Chapter 17

Content warning: This story contains adult situations, language, and consensual sex between adult men. If said content is illegal in your state or country, please leave now and do not continue.

Sally couldn’t sleep. Unable to get comfortable, she ended up tossing and turning. She never slept well outside her own bed and missed Carlo’s warm body. She even missed his snoring. Her bed in the Lab was much firmer than she was used to, making her stiff, uncomfortable, and irritable.

Her mind kept going over everything that happened the last week. First, Carlo was dead, and she wasn’t able to attend his funeral. As far as she knew, the police thought her dead or missing. She realized the men she used to work with were not entirely human; in fact, she didn’t have a clear answer as to what they were. She loved them like younger brothers but was apprehensive... She wasn’t frightened of them but felt she never really knew them to begin with. Two of the foundations in her life, her friendship with the guys and Carlo, were gone, setting her adrift. If that wasn’t enough, the evil of the man responsible for her kidnapping still gave her nightmares.

Amidst her confusion, she was also angry and scared. Caught up in some type of supernatural battle, she realized many of the things she never believed in were real and in the world around her. The guys were giving her space to work through it all, and while she appreciated that she needed someone to talk to. Of all the things she ever imagined Carlo being good at, a great listener wasn’t one of them, and she missed him fiercely. He turned out to be a remarkable, level headed man with a knack for helping her make sense out of whatever troubled her.

It was late, about 0200, and Sally crawled out of bed, dressed in her nightgown, robe, and her favorite fuzzy slippers, wandering into the kitchen to see if she could find a snack. Sure enough, there was ice cream in the fridge. Her favorite, too; the guys knew her well.

Between her slippers and the ice cream, she knew what an effort the guys were making; they brought back some clothes and her toiletries, laughingly telling her they knew she couldn’t survive without makeup.

Getting a spoon out of the drawer, she heard noises coming from the gym and wandered in to see who else was up so late.

Sticking her head in she saw Pat, shirtless and sweaty on a weight bench. Moving over as he finished a set, her eyes widened when she saw the digital readout; he was benching 700 lbs. like it weighed nothing! She marveled at his physique. He was so…. Perfect! Like all the guys, his tanned skin was flawless, with no moles or blemishes, practically glowing with health. Pat was hairier than most of the guys, except Loy and Kevin, and he was a stunningly handsome man. Again, like all the guys.

Pat heard the door open and caught Sally in his peripheral vision. Benching the weight, he said, “Hey, girl! What’re you doing up?”

He wasn’t winded, but he was breathing deeply, and her eyes roamed over his muscled body, shining in the bright lights of the gym.

“Can’t sleep. I thought maybe some ice cream would help.”

“Did it?”

“No, not really.”

At his question, her eyes misted from the emotions running through her. Trying to keep a grip on herself and divert Pat’s attention from her tears, she asked, “So where’s Darren? And why are you guys here so late?”

Pat nodded towards the roof. Sally looked up to see Darren hanging from one of the support beams in the ceiling. He wore only shorts and workout shoes. Covered in sweat, his body looked magnificent. Darren was as heavily muscled as Pat, but shorter and more broadly built.

“Watch this… I love it when he does this.”

Sally heard the admiration and pride in Pat’s voice for his lover when he spoke.

Darren looked down, noticing Sally talking with Pat. One corner of his mouth quirked up in a hint of a smile, and he decided to put on a show for them. Letting go of the beam, Darren fell, doing a one-eighty to face the floor as he dropped.

Sally’s hand flew to her mouth in surprise, frightened Darren was going to hurt himself. The ceiling had to be at least fifty feet high.

Darren’s form was perfect like he was diving off a cliff into water. Just before his hands touched the floor, his image blinked and his trajectory reversed. Darren’s velocity slowed as he gained altitude and as he decelerated his arms lowered to his sides in a fluid motion, almost like a ballet move. He was beautiful to watch, his movements graceful and controlled like he was swimming in the air. His upward momentum slowed to a stop, and for a brief second he seemed to float in the air before falling again. He did another one-eighty and repeated the maneuver one more time.

Continuing to loop his fall, he built speed until he reached terminal velocity. Once there, Darren used the momentum while teleporting around, doing flips and twists in the air. His speed and flexibility were stunning.

Sally and Pat stared, in awe at Darren’s performance. Sally at the fact that he was actually teleporting, but Pat with love for his partner, and something else... it was like he was with Darren, and Sally found it difficult to interpret the look on his face. She saw lust mixed in with everything else… when Darren showed off like he was, it got Pat worked up. That, and looking at his flawless muscular body warmed up and sweaty. Pat didn’t want to get hard in front of Sally, so he clamped down on his libido.

Darren continued his routine for a few minutes until he started to tire, finishing with an elaborate set of twists and flips before appearing just off the floor moving horizontally. Landing on his butt, he slid across the floor coming to a stop a few feet from Sally and Pat with a big grin showing his dimples. Breathing hard he was soaked in sweat; to Darren, teleporting was like lifting weights. The strength and amount he could lift with his Mind came from his body, and the stronger he was physically, the more he could do.

Sally clapped her hands, and for the first time in a week, she smiled.

“Bravo!”

Good job, Dar, that’s the first time I’ve seen her smile since she’s been here.

“I don’t know what to say about you guys… the things you can do.”

“I know it’s hard to take in Sally. It’s nice to see a smile on your face. You know we’re here for you.”

The compassion in their eyes hit her hard, and she started crying. Wrapping her robe tighter around her, she pulled her feet up on the bench and put her arms around her knees.

Darren’s eyes turned White, and the sweat evaporated off him and Pat, and he moved beside Sally putting an arm around her and pulling her close.

In a gentle voice, he said, “Come here, sugar. You’ve been holding in too much this week. I think we’ve given you a little too much space.”

The part of Darren’s Avatar that came from Brad filled him with Compassion for her struggle and the hurt inside her.

Pat moved over, so she was sandwiched between the two large men. In the chill of the gym, the warmth of their bodies felt good, and Darren pulled her more snugly against his body.

“You’re both so warm.”

Darren smiled and said, “Yeah, that’s another one of the changes.”

Taking one of her hands, he continued, “Sally, talk to us. Tell us what you’re thinking. We don’t like seeing you in pain or upset. I know it’s going to take some time to get over Carlo and figure out what you’ve seen, but we want to help.”

With the sleeve of her nightgown, Sally wiped the tears from her eyes and said, “I hardly know where to start. What I’ve seen this week… it’s changed everything I know.”

Looking directly at her, Darren used his other hand to cup her chin and turn her face to look into his eyes.

His voice gentle and compassionate, he said, “I have an idea, but I’ll only do this with your permission. We can share most of what you want to know, but that kind of communication takes some getting used to.”

“Brad said something about that. He said you all go much deeper and I wasn’t ready for that. What did he mean?”

“Well, when we merge, that’s what we call it, there are no secrets. You can’t lie for one thing, and you see the other person for who they are. There are different levels… at the deepest level it’s so pure it’s almost painful, and you have to get past any hang-ups you have about yourself or the other person. It can be harsh and brutal, but once you get past that, it’s incredibly liberating.

“Don’t laugh but it might be easier because Pat and I are gay. You’ll see a lot about us and our relationship you might not want to know and didn’t expect, but it’s who we are. If you’re up for it, once we merge, sharing information isn’t like talking; you’ll see our experiences like they’re your own.”

“It sounds scary.”

That’s why I’m asking your permission. If you don’t want to or aren’t ready, that’s fine. We aren’t trying to pressure you, but I think most of your questions would be answered best if we could do that. If you aren’t, then we’ll put on a pot of coffee and take as much time as you want to talk.

Wait! You’re in my head!

Yes, but only to talk. This is the lightest level of merging, and you can’t lie Mind to Mind. We call it Linking. It’s just like talking, except you get emotion and intent along with the words, and it keeps misunderstandings from creeping up.

Can you read my mind? Are you now?

Yes, we could, but we’d never do that without permission unless it was an emergency. It’s an invasion of privacy, and we’d never do it unless absolutely necessary, and honestly, it’s not all that pleasant with most people.

Alright, my curiosity is piqued. I’m scared witless, but now I can’t say no.

The two men smiled at her, and Pat squeezed her hand.

One more thing… when we do this time passes differently. The deeper we go, the slower time moves. Just a heads up, because what would normally take hours of conversation will only take a few seconds this way.

Wow, I like it already! You know how we women love to talk… this will just give me more time!

They both knew she was using humor to cover her fear, but they also felt her determination.

Okay, Sally, Pat and I are going to merge first. We have a unique bond you’ll learn about in a few seconds. To you, we’ll almost seem like one person, but we’ll both be there.

Comforted by how gentle and caring Darren and Pat were treating her, through the Link she knew they had her best interest at heart; she trusted them, and they knew it.

Darren and Pat merged, becoming One. Their eyes turned White, and to Sally, they started to glow softly. Once again, the powerful feeling of love came from them; warm, beautiful, and incredibly comforting.

Okay, Dar, I hope you know what you’re doing.

I think she needs this Pat, and the sooner, the better. I’m having a hard time seeing her like she is right now.

Me too. Okay, bring her in.

Alright, Sally here goes. Don’t panic and we’ll take this as slow as you want.

To Sally, it was like being submerged in a warm pool of golden, liquid light. The Love was overwhelming at first, and it tempered the fact that Darren and Pat could see her. Her Mind ran through a gamut of emotions; curiosity, embarrassment, fear, even anger. She realized Pat and Darren saw everything about her as if she were naked, physically and emotionally. Everything about her, all her quirks and habits, were exposed. She was terrified of what they would think and mortified they could see it all. Each time she told them little white lies, or even big ones, or made gay jokes with her straight friends… everything there, even her sexual preferences with Carlo and what she liked for him to do to her. Her face went beet red when she realized they now knew how she liked to get herself off when she masturbated.

It’s alright, Sally. There’s nothing to be ashamed of. We’re all people, and we went through this the first time too. It’s much worse with a complete merge the first time. One step at a time. You’re doing great. You’ll learn all the little lies and jealousies tend to go away once you get used to this… you kind of grow past them. Eventually, lying becomes distasteful.

They let her emotions process and felt her Mind and personality at work. She was human and had many of the same hang-ups as every other person, but not as many as most.

Darren and Pat were with her, supporting her. It was like their arms were wrapped around her in a purely emotional way, and it quickly took away her fear and discomfort. She saw them in the same manner, and they long ago got over the self-consciousness about exposing their inner selves to someone they cared about. She realized they did the same thing with the rest of the guys regularly.

Darren: Look through our memories, Sally.

Darren and Pat opened their past to her, and she saw their childhoods. Both men were orphans and lived in foster homes. Darren’s parents died in a car accident, and Patrick never knew his. She saw their time through high school as teenagers and what led them to join the Navy and become SEALS. She saw them recruited by Dr. Thomas and join The Program to begin the Process back in 1989.

She realized they were part Nephilim as well as Original, Unfallen Men and now knew what that meant. She saw their Transformations, their various Awakenings, and the growing pains of learning to use their new abilities. She was in awe of what they could do. The Enemy and The Master terrified her, and she was scared for them and the Purpose they now had of leading the fight against The Enemy. She saw how brave and selfless they were, how beautiful on the inside, and how perfect.

Their humility struck her, and she understood how much they credited the doctor for what they were, but she knew they were good men to start with. She was surprised at how recent many of the changes occurred, and even at the time of her going away party, they didn’t have all the abilities they had now.

Everything about Pat and Darren’s personal lives was there as well, their sexual preferences with each other, and not only how much in love they were with each other but how much they liked each other as best friends, and how close they were to the rest of the guys. The intimate Love and friendship they shared were unique and powerful, and she was jealous of their relationships. She realized each couple shared their Souls and what a powerful bond it created between them. She wanted that for herself more than anything.

She wanted it with Carlo, but that wouldn’t happen now, and that knowledge cut deep into her heart. However, she now had it with Darren and Pat, and soon she would have it with Brad, Ken, and the rest of the guys. The feeling of security and fulfillment she experienced with Darren and Pat was unlike anything she ever imagined.

Darren’s voice spoke amid her emotions.

It’s beautiful, isn’t it? As human beings, we’re meant to be with someone Sally. People were created to be together, but something happened a long time ago that changed the way things are supposed to be. I’m glad you can have this with us, and we hope you can find it with another man when you’re ready. In the meantime you have us, and we’ll always be here for you.

A burning question that had been bothering her the last week got answered; they couldn’t bring Carlo back. When Greg Rawlins returned and spoke with his father, Sally hoped they could bring Carlo back so she could talk with him.

Her sorrow at that realization was harsh. Darren and Pat comforted her and held her tight, warming her Heart and Soul, being her Brothers. She leaned on them and cried inside until there were no more tears. They helped her deal with her grief and loss. She loved Carlo and always would, but they helped her through her pain until all that was left were bittersweet memories.

By the time she worked through everything, Sally felt so comforted and relaxed she fell asleep, exhausted. She hadn’t felt safe since the night before Carlo died and felt utterly secure in Darren’s arms, between their big warm bodies, and wrapped in their Minds, Hearts, and Souls.

Darren carried her back to her bed and tucked her in.

Pat changed and wore jeans and a t-shirt when Darren came out of her room.

That went well.

It did. She’s an amazing person. I hope she’ll still be okay will all this in the morning.

We’ll check in first thing with her and make sure. Do you want to do any more work tonight or head home?

Darren’s handsome face lit in a knowing smile, his dimples in full force.

You know what I want.

Yeah, I was hoping you were going to say that. Seeing you show off for Sally got me going. Let’s head home.

Bill and Kevin were on ‘guest’ duty and would be around in case anything happened.

The entire drive home, to make sure Pat stayed in the mood, Darren teased and stroked Pat’s erection with his Mind, and Pat was nearly a blithering idiot by the time they got home and in bed.

 

<><><>

 

The next morning Ken woke first. To an ordinary person, the house would seem quiet, but Ken heard the clock in the kitchen and the coffee maker at work. He inhaled, smelling the coffee and the sheets where he and Brad had made love last night. His dick twitched at the memory.

Ken listened to Brad’s shallow breathing, and if he concentrated, Brad’s heartbeat as well. He kept still, content to watch Brad sleep, his handsome face relaxed and tranquil. Brad was a heavier sleeper, and Ken snuggled against him, putting an arm around him and holding him close. Brad shifted but didn’t wake up, unconsciously snuggling against Ken’s body. His head ended up on Ken’s chest, under his chin.

The mornings were getting colder, and they kept each other warm under the covers.

Ken felt Brad’s Mind waking up. He had a trigger set to wake him just before the alarm was due to go off. Ken felt a trickle of power and heard the click as Brad turned the alarm off a second before it would have gone off.

Brad’s sleepy Mental voice said: Mornin’.

Mornin’ B.

Now that Brad was awake, Ken's hands roamed over his lover's body in soothing, comforting caresses, and Brad snuggled even closer.

They allowed themselves a few minutes of cuddling before they got up and crawled out of bed.

The rest of the morning followed their regular routine of getting dressed, jogging, driving to the Lab for their workout, and going back home for breakfast and a shower.

While eating breakfast, Ken said, “So, B… I was thinkin’ about Tony last night. I don’t want him gettin’ back on The Enemy’s radar. If we do anythin’ too overt and they associate it with him, it could cause him no end of trouble. With things escalatin’ the way they are, and what our other friends just went through, we need ‘ta be careful.”

“Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. We need to go incognito as potential members. I can make us look like anyone we want, and you can mask our auras in case any suits are there.”

“If we’re gonna do this we’ll need ‘ta carve out a little extra time, at least three to four days a week, to go there. It’ll take some patience, but I think it’ll pay off. We might be able ‘ta pick up some useful information on top of helping Tony.”

“You know, we probably need to wait until after our camping trip. We can stop by this morning to look the place over but not join until we get back. We can tell them we want to think things over once we hear their spiel.”

“Yeah, that sounds good.”

 

<><><>

 

On the way to the Lab, they stopped by Brad’s old gym, with Brad disguising them as two young college students who wanted to join together as workout partners. At least two of the trainers on staff were Protectors, and Brad didn’t recognize a single employee from his time as a member. They left with a promise to be in touch in the next few weeks and make a decision on what membership plan they would go with.

When they got to the Lab, they went to let the doctor and Albrecht know what they discovered.

The doctor almost seemed excited, saying, “This could be an excellent opportunity to test some of the new technology Patrick, Darren, and I have developed. When you return from your trip, I will have everything ready and let you know how we can proceed. In the meantime, have fun. You all certainly earned it.”

 

<><><>

 

As Ken and Brad walked out of the doctor’s office, they noticed Sally in the kitchen. It was apparent right away; something was different. She seemed more like her usual cheerful self, cleaning and scrubbing the sink and countertops.

She was so intent on what she was doing she jumped when Ken said, “Hey Sally! Good mornin’! What’re you doin’?”

Blowing suds off the end of her nose, she replied, “You guys might be half angels, but you’re still guys and therefore partial pigs when it comes to being clean. This place is a wreck! I bet this kitchen hasn’t been cleaned properly in forever.”

Ken and Brad both laughed, and Brad said, “Obviously not by your standards.”

Reaching out, Ken put a hand on her shoulder, turning her to face him. She made eye contact with him and then with Brad, and he said, “I’m happy ‘ta see you doin’ better. We’ve been worried about you. I don’t wanna pry but did somethin’ happen since yesterday ‘ta change your outlook on things?”

“Actually, yes. I merged with Darren and Pat last night.”

Brad said, “You what!?”

She continued, “I was upset and couldn’t sleep. I heard them in the gym working out, and we started talking, and Darren explained what it meant and how my questions would be easier to answer that way.”

Her eyes teared up from the memory of the experience but not the sadness that previously gripped her.

“It was incredible. Darren and Pat are beautiful men, inside and out. They helped me work through the worst of my feelings over Carlo and helped me understand all about you guys; who and what you are and what you do. Please don’t be mad at them. They were incredibly supportive and kind and gentle… I’ve never felt anything like that or felt so safe.”

They gave her a big long hug, and Ken said, “We’re happy for you sweetie. Really, we are. We weren’t sure you were ready for that, but I’m glad it happened.”

“When can I do that with you two? I want to do it with everyone. I feel like I need to, even though it’s mortifying, at least at first.”

They laughed, and Brad said, “Yeah, you should have been there the first time Ken and I did it. It was a beautiful train wreck, and we fell in love with one another all over again.”

“Well, I can’t wait. I’m not putting you on the spot, but I want to know you guys that way more than anything.

Brad said, “We’ll talk to the rest of the guys on the camping trip, and we can do it after we get back if that’s all right. I know it only takes a few seconds, but it’s not something you want to spontaneously surprise someone with.”

“I understand. Now I can say I do understand. Oh, by the way, you need to find Drew and say goodbye to him before you head out. He’s worried he isn’t going to get to see you before you leave.”

Ken replied, “Thanks for the heads up. How are Liz and Henry and the others doin’? Have you talked ‘ta them?”

“The Keenans are doing the best out of everybody. They’re tough, and they have each other. I think the fact they knew something about all this before made a difference. Henry’s hard to read, but I think he’s falling for Liz. You have some competition with him as far as Drew goes. Drew is taking a serious liking to him… but I think Henry’s scared. He’s still hurt over whatever was done to him, but I can see how he acts around Drew and Liz. He’s conflicted though so I’m not sure how that’s going to play out.”

“Thanks for that, Sally. You’re an excellent judge of character, and we appreciate your take on this.”

An idea that had been forming in the back of Ken’s Mind suddenly surfaced. Sally’s comments about Henry, Liz, and Drew brought it out of his unconscious Mind.

“B, I have an idea about Henry before we head out, but we’ll need Lane and Bryan.”

Ken and Brad gave Sally another long comforting hug, and Ken whispered in her ear, “I’m glad you’re okay, sis.”

She squeezed him a little harder, and laughed, saying, “God Ken, squeezing you is like squeezing a rock. It’s a good thing your guy here is strong.”

Ken smiled at Brad and said, “Stronger than you know sweetie. He’s amazin’ and keeps me in line.”

Sally returned to her cleaning, and Ken and Brad went to find the doctor.

 

<><>

 

Ken and Brad talked with the doctor and Albrecht, and Ken explained his idea about Henry.

The doctor said, “I will leave the decision to you, but I think what you intend to do is a good thing. Henry was so deeply hurt I do not believe any traditional means of coping will get him where he needs to be to have a healthy relationship. I think it would be prudent to have Lane do what you suggest… Bradford could do it, but the main focus of Lane’s Avatar makes him best suited to the task, and there is no reason to take even the slightest risk with Henry’s Mind and Heart in our attempt to help him.”

“Thanks, doc. I was hopin’ you’d agree. We want Henry ‘ta recover, but on top of that I’d take it as a victory for our side if we can help him. The agent of The Enemy that left him with us did so knowin’ how troubled he’d be the rest of his life. The sheer cruelty of that still astounds me and pisses me off.”

“Yes, my boy. It angers me, as well… but it is not new. Their cruelty knows no bounds. Through the many years I have fought them, they ever try to maim and cause suffering in whoever they do not outright destroy. For the first time in all the long years, we now have the means to bring an end to all of it. Henry can be a first, and it will be a true joy to see him fully recovered with his memories and Soul intact. I could have altered his Mind, but what you propose will be more effective and not change who he is.”

 

<>

 

Brad: I know what you want to do, Ken, and I think it has a good chance of working as long as Henry doesn’t break. My gut tells me he’s strong enough, but it’s not a sure thing. We can give him a choice… if he really doesn’t want to get past this, we can have Kevin reset him. I think we should have everyone here for this and not just Lane and Bry.

Alright, you know I trust your gut. Everyone should be here for trainin’ in a few minutes anyway. Let’s slip into one of the spare bedrooms for a quickie. We both need to be fully charged up.

 

<>

 

As the rest of the guys showed up, the aura Ken and Brad generated during their ‘quickie’ was apparent. When the door opened and they stepped out, the rest of the guys stood in a semi-circle outside the door applauding.

When the laughter and catcalls finally stopped, Ken thought: Okay fellas, me and B are gonna’ have a chat with Henry. We wanna’ try and help him if he’ll let us. If he’s agreeable, we want everybody in on it. Lanester you’ll need to take the lead if he’s willin’.

Lane: Just let me know boss. I’m with you.

Ken: Alright, we’ll be back in a few.

 

<><>

 

Henry stayed in his room with the door shut. Liz was in the kitchen helping Sally clean while Drew played with his Hot Wheels on one of the tables. Drew stopped, watching Ken and Brad as they walked to the door of Henry’s room. He had one of those adult looks on his face like he knew something was about to happen.

Henry heard them knock but didn’t respond, reclined on the bed, lost in his thoughts and struggling with his feelings for Liz and Drew.

They deserve so much better than me. I’ll just end up hurting them. If they knew anything about what I did, they’d know I’m a monster and hate me.

Brad and Ken knew he was awake. In fact, Brad picked up on Henry’s surface thoughts. He wasn’t trying to pry, he just skimmed Henry’s Mind to find out if he was asleep.

Not good Ken.

Ken swiped his key card and entered the override code, unlocking the door. Henry was on the bed with his back to the door.

“Henry, bud, I know you’re awake. We need ‘ta talk.”

Henry didn’t say anything but sat up on the edge of the bed, rubbing his hands roughly over his face. He hadn’t shaved in a few days, and his handsome face was covered with stubble.

Brad and Ken moved in and shut the door, pulling up chairs and sitting in front of him.

Henry wouldn’t make eye contact with either one of them and mumbled, “I’ve been waiting for something like this.”

Brad said, “We want to help you, Henry, but you need to let us.”

“Why don’t you just fix me? That would be easiest.”

“That’s not the way we work. That’s the way They work. You have to want to get better. It looks like Liz and Drew care about you. Don’t you want to get better for them?”

Henry didn’t answer right away. His eyes turned red, and he sniffed loudly.

“They deserve better. If Liz knew half the things I’ve done, she’d never let me near Drew again. They’d both be terrified to be in the same room with me.”

“We’ve told you before Henry, that wasn’t you. You had no choice with your Mind under Their control, and you weren’t responsible.”

“Yeah, but I lived through it all, and it’s a part of me. I didn’t volunteer for what They turned me into, but I wasn’t a saint before that either.”

“Henry, come into the gym with us. If you’re willin’, we wanna try somethin’. It’s gonna hurt emotionally, but we’ll be there with you.”

“It can’t be worse than what I feel every day. I’m about ready for it to be over one way or another. I want to be with Liz, but I don’t know how. When Drew looks at me and puts his arms around my neck, it’s almost more than I can take. I want it more than anything, but I don’t deserve it, and I’m not worth it.”

Ken said, “That’s where you’re wrong, Henry, and we can prove it ‘ta you.”

Reaching out, Ken cupped Henry’s solid shoulder and neck in a comforting squeeze.

Henry sighed in resignation, got off the bed, and followed them out of the room.

 

<><>

 

As soon as Henry stepped through the door and saw the other eight men waiting for him, he hesitated. Brad and Ken put their hands on his back, urging him forward. Taking a deep breath to steady himself, Henry looked up, making eye contact with the men before him. He saw compassion in their eyes and support in their faces, and while it made him feel good, it also brought the pain and all his negative feelings to the surface.

Brad pulled Henry into their surface Link, and the storm of his emotional turmoil blew around them. It was painful for them to see Henry in such a state, especially for the Mentalists who shared Brad’s Avatar. It was more apparent than ever how much Henry needed them, and they withstood the storm, facing it head-on and holding Henry tight.

Like Greg, Henry’s suffering burned out most of the ugliness normally residing in humans. Also, like Greg, Henry was at the bottom of an emotional well and on the verge of suicide. They felt his reaction when Drew hugged him, or Liz kissed him, and the conflict their affections evoked inside him.

The presence of the guys washed over Henry’s Mind, gentle, caring, and comforting, but also unyielding in their support, and Henry was surprised at what he felt from them. He realized early on they were gay, and he wasn’t uncomfortable with that, but he didn’t expect what he felt. They were men, and they supported him as a man; they didn’t exhibit any feminine aspects he assumed they might. He felt shameful for making such an assumption when they obviously wanted what was best for him as a man with no deceptive undertones.

Tears filled his eyes and trailed down his cheeks. Added to his other burdens, Henry felt embarrassed at his preconceptions of the men trying to help him.

What do you want me to do?

Lane had placed a mat on the gym floor and moved over, sitting down.

Come sit with me, Henry. You too, Brad. Everyone else sit around us in a circle.

Henry’s apprehension and nervousness were apparent.

Brad: It’s going to be okay, Henry. We’ll be with you every step of this process.

Henry: So, what exactly are you going to do to me?

Brad: We’re going to show you how to forgive and love yourself. We’re going to show you how to see yourself the way we see you.

Henry went silent, but the fear and turmoil lurking in his Mind and Heart were clear to them.

To try and break the solemn mood Lane added: I mean besides the exterior layer of hotness. You’re a fucking stud, Henry.

Henry’s eyes widened, but he saw Lane’s wink and knew it was a joke. It did lighten the mood for a brief second, and he couldn’t help the slight upturn of his mouth at Lane’s comment.

Lane scooted behind Henry and spread his legs so he could pull Henry back against him. He wrapped his arms around Henry from behind and pulled them tightly together. Brad sat behind Lane and put his arms around both of them.

Henry’s body was wrought with tension under Lane’s arms, and he was sweating from nervousness. Lane shifted his Sight and saw the tightness in Henry through his Energy flows, and he sent a trickle of Healing into Henry’s body to relax him.

Unexpectedly Henry relaxed, and it was like he was naked and floating in a hot bath. His skin felt warm and flush, and he leaned back into Lane with a sigh.

Brad: Okay, Henry we need to go back to when The Enemy first took you. This will be uncomfortable, and you’re going to relive what happened to you. There are parts you might not remember that your brain has hidden away to help you cope. We need to see everything… remember we’re with you, you’ll feel us there. Once we start, we won’t stop until we’re back up to the present. Are you ready?

Terrified and unable to speak, Henry nodded his assent. Trembling, he took a deep breath in anticipation.

Everyone else formed a tight circle around Henry, Lane, and Brad, holding hands with Ken and Bryan on the two ends of the circle holding onto their partners. Brad Opened their energy centers along with Henry’s. Henry’s eyes went wide as bright colors of energy came out of them, even his own body. Theirs were much brighter and stronger except for the red ribbon… Henry’s Core Center was much closer to theirs, indicative of the changes The Enemy made in him.

Brad wove the flows into a White torrent surging through all of them. To Henry’s cold Soul, the hot wind of their Love surrounded him, moving through him.

Here we go!

Henry fell into himself, back into the darkness of his memories. He started to panic but immediately knew he wasn’t alone. They were with him, holding him as promised, not just his body but his Mind, Heart, and Soul. Lane squeezed his arms around Henry’s stomach and torso, making him feel the physical sensation, proving he was still anchored to his body.

Brad and Lane took Henry back to his abduction, and through the Process that changed him. He didn’t know or understand what The Enemy did to change him other than it was excruciating and took weeks, almost killing him. Once the physical process was complete one of The Enemy ‘suits’ seized Henry’s Mind, trapping him inside himself.

Henry was a prisoner, a puppet in his own Mind for over three years, and he experienced every heinous act The Enemy commanded him to do. He hurt countless people, usually killing them or leaving them for dead. He killed women and children, even pregnant women if The Enemy needed unborn children to fuel their Dark spells. With every death Henry screamed inside, helpless while he cried and begged as his Soul grew more scarred with each act.

The anguish of reliving it all was unbearable, but this time Brad and Lane and the others were with him, allowing him to see the pain he experienced as he was helpless to stop or prevent his actions. They discovered hidden barriers in his Mind, deep in his subconscious, placed by The Enemy and intended to keep him depressed. They were deep and subtle and escaped the notice of those in The Order that previously tried to help Henry. Brad was sure they witnessed the handiwork of The Master.

However, to Brad and Lane and their Brothers, as tightly and profoundly bonded with Henry as they were, the barriers were clearly visible. It took all ten of them as One to see what resided in Henry’s Mind. When Loy initially broke the Control of The Enemy ‘suit,’ the deeper triggers escaped him, escaped all of them, and it angered them. Brad shattered the triggers, placing his own protections to prevent anything similar from ever happening to Henry again.

As the barriers broke, Henry finally realized his actions weren’t his fault, and a sense of relief flooded through him. The men collectively pulled Henry deeper so he could feel the unconditional Love they had for him, and let it Heal him like nothing else could. Henry had never felt anything like it, and for the first time in his life he felt worthy of Love and was able to accept it.

The pain of what he was forced to endure was still inside him, but the guilt and self-blame were gone. The tears of his Soul turned to anger, and then grief. Henry knew he wasn’t responsible for his actions during that time, but he had been used as an instrument of Darkness, and that would stay with him forever.

After the barriers shattered, Lane thought: Henry, I think we know what your answer will be, but just in case I’m going to show you something. Your life has been miserable for years, but I’m going to show you how happy you can be. This isn’t an absolute, but I’m going to show you the most probable future you have with Liz if you want to be with her.

Henry felt like he was falling forward as Lane pulled all of them into a Temporal Rift ahead in time. Henry saw a Vision of himself smiling, with Liz by his side. They were standing on the front porch of a house, and he had his arm around her. The feeling of contentment and happiness in that version of himself was overwhelming.

The one thought prominent in his Mind was: I want that.

Every one of the men was elated for him. As each of them returned to themselves, settling back into the present, tears of relief fell down Henry’s handsome face. Lane and Brad both gave Henry a tight hug, and the others made it to his side and touched him in a comforting embrace in one form or another. Ken cupped his hand on the back of Henry’s neck and shoulder, making eye contact, and his support was evident along with everyone else’s.

Through his tears, Henry sniffed and managed a smile. Ken’s hand moved up, ruffling Henry’s hair in affection, and that little kid grin crossed his face. Henry knew then he was on a long road of friendship with Ken, and he sincerely hoped the rest of the men.

When he could talk again, he said, “I don’t even know what to say guys, or how to thank you for this. I never thought in a million years I could feel this way.”

Brad replied, “We’re happy we could help you, Henry. You’re still on an emotional high, so some of this will fade. If you have any ill effects, find the doctor or Albrecht immediately, but I think you’re going to be fine. Liz and Drew will be thrilled you want to be with them, and their support will be the best medicine. There’s nothing like the arms of a lover or a little boy to make you feel good. You can be the father Drew needs.”

Lane helped Henry to stand, and as he got to the door, he turned and looked at them one more time.

“You know if there’s ever anything I can do for you or your cause you just have to name it. I know more than anyone how evil The Enemy is and why they should be stopped. I’m with you no matter what.”

With that, he turned and went into the kitchen to find Liz and Drew.

As Henry opened the door, Drew ran up and threw his arms around Henry’s waist. Henry picked him up and Drew’s arms wrapped around his neck, and he gave Henry a big sloppy kiss on his cheek, making a face at the feeling of his whiskers.

“Hey there, little man. Let’s go have a talk with your mom, okay?”

The door shut, and everyone stood for a moment, enjoying the warm sense of having done the right thing for a good friend who was hurting.

Ken quietly said, “One day the whole world is gonna feel like that.”

Brad put his arms around Ken from behind and rubbed his chest in a loving gesture.

With a grin, Ken broke the silence.

“Alright, ladies, time for trainin’! You know the drill. Hop to it!”

 

<><><>

 

They made their plans and gathered their camping gear and supplies. Since their last Awakening and drinking the Water of Life, they were attuned to the Valley and the protections over the area. They couldn’t teleport directly to the Tree, but Uriel taught Bryan how to Recall himself to the rocky plain where he appeared on his first trip to the Valley. From there Brad could contact him and use his eyes to get a visual for Darren to teleport everyone else. As far as Bryan knew, his ability to go there was a one-way trip, so without Lane and the others he would be stuck there.

All of them were excited for various reasons. First, none of them had taken any kind of trip since they first started Awakening and looked forward to it, but mostly they were excited to see something that was a part of their Nephilim Heritage. They were going somewhere ancient and powerful, where humans weren’t permitted to go.

The doctor and Albrecht assured the guys that all their guests would be in good hands during their absence. Communications would be impossible while the guys were in the Valley, so once a day, one couple would make the climb back down and contact the doctor. Ken insisted over the objections of the doctor, and everyone agreed.

 

<><>

 

Late that afternoon, as everyone wound down from the day’s training, two balls of Light appeared in the middle of the gym. Pat and Rick noticed them first and alerted everyone through their Link.

They were working out hard, pushing themselves to their limits, and were shirtless, drenched in sweat, and breathing heavily. Everyone stopped to see who it was.

One of the orbs transformed into Uriel, but the other man was a stranger they had never seen before. Like Uriel and the other Archangels, he was inhumanly charismatic and perfect. He was not as heavily muscled as Uriel, but he was still a large, powerfully built man. His hair was a rich brown, his eyes dark brown, and his skin deeply tanned. The blue jeans and white t-shirt he wore fit his form perfectly.

Bryan’s expression was solemn as he moved to greet his Heavenly grandfather. Nearly every time Uriel appeared, it meant trouble of some kind.

Bryan’s handsome brow was slightly furrowed as he asked, “Grandfather?”

“Hello, Bryan. There is no cause for alarm. My Brother and I must impart some information to you before your stay in the Valley.”

A high level of excitement ran through all of them. Already tightly Linked, Brad brought them deeper as soon as the balls of Light appeared. The prevailing thought was the man accompanying Uriel might be one of their Heavenly relatives.

“Allow me to introduce my brother, Barachiel.”

Barachiel didn’t speak but nodded to them with a smile. His eyes moved over each of them, and an aura of strength and nobility radiated from him. It was unconscious on his part, his face displaying no hint of arrogance.

He stopped when his eyes locked with Loy’s, and his smile widened.

“Hello, Loy. I’ve come a long way to meet you.”

Stunned, Loy’s heart raced as the support and excitement of his Brothers surrounded him.

“Are you …?”

“I am. I have wanted to meet you, and when Uriel informed me of your recent plans, it was a perfect opportunity.”

“I… I don’t know what to say. I’ve wanted to meet you ever since I found out about you, but now…”

“You need not say anything. I realize this is a surprise. I have managed to follow your actions, and I am not displeased; far from it. Come, let us talk.”

Loy held out his arm in a gesture of inclusion towards Rick and nodded his head. When Rick hesitated, Loy thought: Come on, Rick. I want you with me.

Barachiel held out his arm as well and said, “Join us, Richard. If half my Grandson’s Soul and all of his Heart belongs to you, I wish to meet you as well.”

Rick and Loy moved away from everyone and dropped out of the Link so they could talk privately.

Their happiness for Loy was apparent, and the rest were hoping someone else’s angelic ancestor might show up.

Uriel put his arms around Lane’s and Bryan’s shoulders and led them to a corner where they could talk privately. Lane thought it strange seeing the resemblance between Bryan and Uriel; not physically, even though they were both big men with similar builds, but in mannerisms. Uriel was even more stoic than Bryan, but now he was warming up to them, it was nice to see more expression on his face and in his eyes. Bryan had won over his Grandfather’s heart just as he had won over Lane’s long ago, and it made Lane happy for his partner. His own relationship with Gabriel was already much stronger, and it felt nice to have a family connection that few of them grew up with.

 

<>

 

While Uriel and Barachiel spoke with Bryan, Lane, Loy, and Rick, everyone else went into the locker room to shower and change clothes. It was near the end of the day, so Ken called an end to their training. They gathered in the kitchen to wait and see what they could find out. The doctor, who always seemed to know a lot about everything, paled at the mention of Barachiel’s name.

He let out an, “Oh my!” but didn’t say anything further. Brad realized the doctor knew something about Loy’s angelic relative, and it must be significant, but as usual, he didn’t elaborate.

 

<><>

 

It wasn’t long before Loy, Rick, Bryan, and Lane came into the kitchen. They were still wearing their workout gear and had no shirts on. Darren was closest to the refrigerator and pulled out some sports drinks, tossing a bottle to each of them.

Everyone looked expectantly at Loy, but he made a show of opening the bottle and taking a big swig. Brad pulled the four men back into the group Link, and Loy’s excitement lit through their connection.

His eyes were a little watery as he thought: Fuck me, fellas. I have a grandfather. I mean I knew it, after what we learned about Michael and the others but still... He’s amazing!

Rick came up behind Loy and wrapped his arms around him from behind, crisscrossing his arms over Loy’s chest and pulling him into a tight bear hug. He kissed Loy on the cheek and held him for a second before letting go. Loy couldn’t keep a smile off his handsome face, and it seemed contagious. It had been a while since something nice happened to any of them, and they took great pleasure in what Loy shared with them.

Ken: I can’t tell ‘ya how happy we are for ‘ya Loy. So, what did he have ‘ta say? Uriel said somethin’ about some information? I hope it’s good news for a change.

Loy: Thanks, guys. He seems really nice… that feels weird to say, knowing what he is and now a little about him, but he is. He used our trip as an excuse to come see me. Uriel could have told us everything we need to know through Bryan. That makes it even more special that he came …

Brad: What is it about our trip to the Tree that’s so important that two of the big guns of the Higher Order felt the need to come talk to us about it? It’s just a camping trip.

Bryan interjected: It’s not, really. The Valley is way more special than we realize. I mean we know what the Tree is and that Leroy’s there; that alone makes the place unique, but there’s more to it. It’s the place where The Master was born; where the first human Soul came into existence. The Valley is sacred and exists on both sides of the Veil. There are rules we have to follow if we’re going to be there. That’s what they wanted to let us know. We’re privileged to be able to go there, and it’s our right, especially as Protectors of the Tree, but we need to honor that privilege by following some rules.

You all probably noticed that when Grandpop shows up, he’s usually wearing animal skins.

Brad interjected: Wait a sec. Did you just call Uriel ‘Grandpop’?

Yeah, what’s wrong with that?

For cryin’ out loud Bry, he’s the Angel of Death!

So? He asked me what I wanted to call him.

Okay, I guess if you can name a Dragon Leroy, you can call the Angel of Death Grandpop!

A rare grin crossed Bryan’s face, and they laughed with him.

So anyway, you notice how he’s always wearing animal skins, and the last time I went, he gave me the same thing to wear? We aren’t supposed to take anything unnatural with us… nothing synthetic. Makes perfect sense to me so we might need to repack some things. I’ll save the rest of my part for after we hear what Loy has to say.

Loy: Barachiel said, other than our trek in, we shouldn’t take anything to eat or drink. The Valley and the Tree will provide everything we need while we’re there. As part of the natural order of things, an animal will present itself to any of us as a sacrifice so we can have meat. We free its Spirit and take its Body to nourish us. We burn everything we don’t use or eat. I totally balked at that, but after he explained everything, it makes a weird sort of sense. With our Avatars, there will be no pain or fear on the part of the animal. The creatures there are serving a purpose.

Bryan: Uriel said not to be squeamish about it. It’s a very pure thing in a sacred place. I can take seeds with me for any fruits or vegetables we want and grow them there. Things work differently in the Valley, close to the Tree. Our powers will be much stronger there, so it’ll take some getting used too. On the upside, it’ll make the trek in easier without having to carry food and our tents. We just need some cotton or wool blankets if we want, for sleeping, and waterskins.

 

<><>

 

The next morning, they met at the Lab at 0600. The doctor and Albrecht were staying in the Lab as long as Sally and the other guests were with them, so they were able to see them off. Everyone else was asleep, so they kept things quiet. Ken and Brad and the rest of the guys said their goodbyes to Drew the night before.

They gathered in the gym. As a parting gift, Albrecht made special and unique items for each of them; leather footwear for hiking and climbing over the rocks, and stone knives.

The guys were floored and extremely appreciative. The craftsmanship was exquisite; he even carved their Avatars into the bone handles and dyed the patterns to match, so each one was unique to the one he made it for. The knives were beautiful and functional and honed razor sharp.

Bryan: Okay, are you sissies ready?

Affirmation from each of them ran through the Link.

Then here goes nothing.

Bryan closed his eyes and concentrated. In an emerald flash of Power from his Avatar, he vanished. Brad was ready and still felt him in the Link, but his presence was very far away.

 

<>

 

Bryan appeared on the same broad rock as his previous visits. Immediately, the hot sun on his face and the thick humidity in the air wrapped comfortably around him. Sweat popped out over his body, so he stripped off his shirt and tucked it into his belt. Closing his eyes, Bryan let his senses roam… the Tree already called to him. He breathed deeply… the air was pure and clean as if it was fresh and new and had never been breathed by anyone or anything before.

Bryan jumped down and walked a few minutes until he found a good spot for everyone to appear.

The big difference with this visit was remaining Linked to Lane and all his Brothers, which made the place even more perfect. He couldn’t wait for everyone to see the Tree in person and not just through his memories… even more, he couldn’t wait for them to see Leroy. They would have to be careful in the cave, but it was important to Bryan for everyone to see Leroy in person; to touch him as Bryan did and to know him. He wasn’t sure why, but he felt it was something that needed to happen.

Okay fuckers, I found a good spot. Come on over.

Brad’s presence increased in Bryan’s Mind as he acquired a clear visual for Darren to teleport the rest of the team. A second later Lane and all the guys appeared around him.

A knowing grin spread across Bryan’s handsome face as he gave them a moment to take in their surroundings. The feel of where they were was like nothing they had ever experienced. He wanted to be an excellent guide and maximize their experience, so he gave them time to soak it all in.

Each of them took in something different. Even though there wasn’t any noise except the sound of a slight breeze, to Lane, the area was beautifully harmonic. It was Old and Pure, untouched by Time, and the Music he heard was breathtaking. To Loy, the presence of animals and Spirits were everywhere, and a huge smile crossed his face at their reaction to him. His eyes watered involuntarily at the purity and wildness he felt.

Fuck Ricky… this place is amazing! Can you feel them? They’re everywhere!

Rick moved behind his lover and pulled him back into a tight embrace, nuzzling his face against Loy’s neck and shoulder. Merging with Loy, he felt and experience everything his partner did. Loy’s elation was incredible… almost as powerful and euphoric as when they were One and making love.

Bill’s senses were on overload. His Avatar breathed in the Power of where they were, and his Mind buzzed while he took it all in. Pat Understood what the place was, and to a lesser extent so did Ken, Rick, and Kevin and their partners through them. They were all sharing these experiences through their bond, which, as Barachiel predicted, was much stronger there.

The culmination of their experiences melded together through the Link as soon as they appeared; the bright sun, the freshness of the air, the Life of the place, and the thrumming of their Avatars. They knew they belonged there.

Their Oneness was already more potent than they were used to, and it brought smiles to their faces. Their eyes didn’t stop leaking while they adjusted to the close intimacy of being so much a part of one another.

Bryan paused to give them as much time as each one needed to take in and wrap their Minds and Hearts around the place. Like Bryan, they stripped off their shirts and tucked them into their belts. The place was like a sauna, especially compared to the cooler weather in Atlanta. In only a few minutes, their bodies shone with sweat, and the breeze felt soothing across their bare skin.

Okay, ladies, we still have a hike ahead of us, and everything only gets better as we get closer.

In just over an hour, they reached the sheer face of the mountain barrier that hid the Valley.

Everyone take five and then we’ll start the climb.

Darren looked up but couldn’t make out the ledge he knew they were headed for.

Bryan: You can’t see it until you’re on top of it, Dar. I don’t think you can jump there… Uriel said the Protection over this place covers the ledge.

Yeah, but I still think I can make it. It’s worth a shot and will only take a sec to try.

Pat knew what Darren was going to do and had every confidence in his partner.

Up to you. The climb is a bitch for the five of us, and even with all you sissies amped up, it’ll be hard.

A cocky grin spread across Darren’s face, showing his dimples.

Piece of cake. I’ll be back in a minute.

He took off his makeshift backpack for the attempt.

With their exceptional eyesight, Ken, Bryan, Pat, Kevin, and Rick looked up to see what Darren was about to do. Bryan knew where the ledge was even though it wasn’t visible from the ground.

Darren vanished, appearing high in the air. He immediately started free falling but had plenty of time to spot the ledge. He jumped three more times to get the proper velocity and trajectory to land safely on the rocky shelf.

They knew he made it when he dropped from the Link. The echo of his ‘WOOO HOOO!” reached them, and a few seconds later he appeared a foot off the ground, landing smoothly in a crouch. His Mind re-entered the Link as soon as he appeared. The smile on his face was a mile wide, and his dimples were deep as everyone gave him a slap on the back or shoulder or a high-five or fist bump.

Their pride in him filled the Link and a little wonder at the implications of what he could do if he put his Mind and ability to work. Pat’s Avatar of Understanding helped at first to give him the knowledge, but Darren was a wizard at math and physics and had a natural instinct through his Avatar on how to time and place his jumps to accomplish his goals.

Bryan’s Mental voice sounded hesitant: Hey, Dar…

Darren: No worries, Bry. I know what you’re going to say. I just wanted to see if I could do it. If we ever need to get there in a hurry, I know how, but I think we need to go in the long way. I was just giving you ladies time to rest.

Bryan: Going in is part of the process… at least the first time. It’s hard to explain, but it’s a part of the order of this place. You’ll understand once we get into the Valley.

As Darren turned towards Pat, Bryan ruffled his hair and then patted his shoulder. With a wink, Bryan thought: You’re awesome.

Darren couldn’t help the smile on his face, and he blushed.

Each couple had gotten off together before heading to the Lab that morning so everyone would be as strong as possible. Bryan told them the climb was hard and to make sure they were ready for the effort.

Alright, are you fuckers ready? It’s best to just push through until we make it to the ledge. There’s no place to stop and rest.

They sent their acknowledgment through the Link, and Bryan moved forward to start the climb. His thick arms and shoulders bunched as his fingers found handholds and he began pulling himself up. The leather footwear Albrecht made for them was perfect for gripping the rock and flexible enough for their toes to find small cracks.

As soon as they started to climb, their tattoos began to glow, and the brightness increased with their elevation. Everyone was quiet as they concentrated on the climb; the only sound was their breathing from the effort. On Bryan’s first visit, before his second Awakening, the strength of the Valley and the Tree overwhelmed him and Uriel had to shield him. They were all Awake now, their Avatars in tune with the Tree and the Valley, and the Power thrummed through their Avatars like a pulse.

Climbing the sheer face of the mountain brought back memories of their time in the military and scaling cliffs in the dark of night. The memories were bittersweet from that time in their lives, and their thoughts drifted together. In their Minds, they remembered, laughed, and hung shit on one another.

Exhilaration ran through them, not only from memories, but from the energy running through them, the exertion of their muscles, the open air over their sweaty bodies, and the sun on their backs. They enjoyed the challenge and dug into it, individually and together, like they always did. Even when it wasn’t necessary they helped one another with a hand or a shoulder – it was an aspect of being together and living in one another. They rarely got to spend time alone with just the ten of them in an environment outside the Lab and their training. The experience, while an effort, was also relaxing and enjoyable.

Ken was the only one who wasn’t winded or tired by the time they reached the ledge. It took them nearly two hours, and the last fifteen minutes were a struggle for Brad and the other Mentalists, even with the physical charge from their partners. Their arms shook, their shoulders ached, and their breathing was labored.

Bryan made it to the ledge first, with Ken right behind him. Together Ken and Bryan reached out to help pull everyone up as quickly as they could. They had to be careful; they were so sweaty their hands could easily slip.

Bryan: Okay, fuckers the hard part’s over. You all did great. No surprise there. Let’s take a few minutes and rest up.

Brad and the others collapsed to the floor of the cave mouth. Their lungs were on fire and their chests heaved, but they were in such good shape it only took a few minutes for their breathing to return to normal. Something about the air, or perhaps their Avatars, replenished their strength more quickly than usual. They stretched to work out the soreness from their aching muscles and were quickly ready to continue.

Taking the lead from Bryan, everyone shifted their Sight, and the Light of their Avatars illuminated the cave, allowing them to traverse the path safely.

As soon as they emerged from the cave, they collectively caught their breath. All of them had seen the Tree through Bryan and even lived his experiences through their connection but seeing it in person was still a shock. The scale of it was unbelievable, making even the giant redwoods of Muir Woods in California look like twigs.

Bryan paused, letting them take in the sight. As Bryan stood, Lane’s arms wrapped around him from behind, and he pressed their sweaty bodies together. Lane rested his chin on Bryan’s shoulder, and pulled their Souls even tighter, sharing his reaction and making sure Bryan knew his presence made it even better.

Oh my God Bry, even seeing this through you before didn’t prepare me. This place is amazing. I wish we had come sooner.

Yeah, I wish I’d brought you here sooner too. But we’re here now, and we can come back anytime.

Just like Lane and Bryan, each couple embraced, holding one another, taking in and sharing the view. The Life energy of the Tree was so thick and vibrant they swam in it, and every breath filled them even more. Bryan was right when he said their Powers would be stronger; all of them felt a rush like they had never known.

The Valley existed on both sides of the Veil, and Brad’s Sight kept shifting between the two. Now that he was physically present in the Valley both sides pulled at him, and it quickly became disorienting. He realized, in that place, with his Avatar, he could Cross in his body, which should be impossible. He had no idea what would happen if he did, but the idea scared him. Ken knew something was wrong immediately, and everyone else felt it too.

B!? What’s the matter?

Ken squeezed his arms tighter around Brad, holding him firmly.

I’m not sure… this place exists on both sides of the Veil, and it feels like I’m being pulled in two different directions.

Lane: Brad use Ken as an anchor! Bry, show Ken how you do it that for me. Brad, focus on Ken and don’t slip over!

Bryan pulled Ken deeply into himself and showed Ken how he had learned to anchor Lane when he was being pulled by the Gift or his Avatar into different timelines or alternate realities.

Lane did the same with Brad, showing him how to hold onto Ken in a way he had never needed to before.

Everyone gathered around, lending their strength and support, their concern evident through the Link. Brad held onto Ken, not just with his arms and Mind, but with his Soul and Ken wrapped Brad in his solid, immovable presence.

The Souls of his Brothers wrapped around him as well, anchoring him and not letting him go. Their Souls, like the roots of the Tree, intertwined with his and stabilized him.

Brad’s relief was palpable. For a brief second, he had been scared witless.

Thanks, Ken. Thanks, guys.

I love you B, and you aren’t goin’ anywhere while I’m here ‘ta hold onto. Hold onto me as long and tight as you need to. I’ll never let you go.

It took Brad a few minutes to acclimate to the new sensation and start to relax.

Sorry guys I didn’t expect that. I’ll get used to it, and it won’t be an issue.

With the Paradox of the Two Realms co-existing yet separate, something clicked in Brad’s Mind. He knew they could free Istariel and the other Nephilim from the Pendants in that place, and the others Understood his realization through their Link.

A smattering of ‘fuck me’s’ and ‘holy shits’ followed, and smiles broke across their faces. It would be a huge relief to free their Nephilim cousins of their imprisonment.

Ken: Tomorrow, you, me, Dar, and Pat will make the run out to check in with the doc and Albrecht. We can get the amulets and bring ‘em back.

All of them had grown closer to their Nephilim cousins over the time spent together during their imprisonment in the Amulets. Freeing them would be a huge boon to all of them. They found it funny that except for Istariel they still didn’t know the names of the other three. Apparently, names were extremely private among the Nephilim and not given out lightly.

It didn’t take long before Brad felt comfortable enough to continue. His unconscious Mind quickly adapted, allowing him to maintain his hold on Ken as an anchor. He was confident in a short time it would be second nature and no longer an issue.

Ken: You’re amazin’ B. Fuck, I love you so much it hurts.

Brad’s response to Ken was physical and emotional. He pulled them tighter together, enjoying the feel of Ken’s warm, sweaty skin and hard body. He nuzzled his face in the crook of Ken’s neck and shoulder, breathing deeply and inhaling the scent of his lover. They both got hard.

Bryan: Okay, you horny fuckers, there’ll be plenty of time for making out soon enough. Let’s keep moving.

Grinning, Brad and Ken reluctantly pulled apart.

You sure you’re okay now, B?

You bet.

As they started to move out, every one of them patted Brad on his shoulder or back, or ruffled his sweaty hair, letting him know how much they cared and supported him, their relief evident that he was safe and ready to move forward.

Bryan led them down into the valley to the base of the Tree. He remembered a perfect clearing among the roots near the cave entrance that would be a good base camp.

 

<><>

 

After Barachiel and Uriel informed them about not taking anything synthetic, they didn’t have much with them other than a few rolled-up blankets, their clothes, cooking and eating utensils, and some personal effects. The familiarity of ‘roughing it’ as they so often did in Syria while running missions came back to them. In fact, it was a relief not having to carry in so much equipment.

Bryan said they could have a fire as long as no wood from the Tree was used. There were plenty of fallen branches around, so they all did their collective chores of filling water bottles and gathering firewood. They did bring some large canvas bags for storage in case it rained. Albrecht showed them how to make the fabric naturally water-resistant.

Bryan baked some all-natural protein bars the night before for snacks and passed them out.

Enjoy these while they last fuckers. I know you bastards are bottomless pits. I’ll get some food started shortly. Why don’t you all go exploring and I’ll send out the word when I have some chow ready. Loy, I’ll need you for a minute before you take off.

Bryan to Loy: Okay, Loy, I’m not sure exactly how this is going to work. We need meat. I know any of these other sissies could do this, but your Avatar is the ‘Mac Daddy’ for animals. I think you should be the one to start things off.

Loy didn’t say anything. He knew what Barachiel said about the Valley providing for them. It was new and different, but he was confident. His eyes turned White, and he cast his thoughts out gently.

Come.

Loy didn’t try to focus on finding any particular animal… he let the Valley choose.

A moment later, an enormous buck walked out of the woods, walking up to him. It nuzzled its soft head in his hand when he reached out to touch it. Loy’s eyes misted as he looked into its Mind; it knew why it was there. It was fulfilling a purpose and felt… content. Loy’s love washed through its Mind, and its tail fluttered in response… its dark brown eyes looked back at Loy with an Understanding so profound it took his breath away. There were no words, but Loy felt the creature trying to comfort him as it fulfilled its Purpose.

Loy’s Avatar came to life, and he gently snapped the bond between its Body and Spirit. The buck fell to the ground, lifeless, but its Spirit stood before him, tall and majestic, looking at him with its tail fluttering happily.

Go, my friend… go back and be reborn. You have our thanks and gratitude for what you’ve done.

Even though Loy knew what to expect, a tear fell down his cheek. A profound sense of humility ran through him, at the idea of any creature giving its life for him. Bryan’s hand squeezed his shoulder in comfort, and then he pulled Loy against him in a tight hug.

You okay?

Yeah. Sorry, man. I knew what to expect, and he didn’t feel any pain. In fact, he felt that same sense of completion all animals feel towards us. It’s just so… humbling I guess, that a creature would willingly sacrifice itself for us.

Bryan Understood precisely what Loy meant. It was incredibly humbling to be chosen for who and what they were. It was a Cosmic gift, and even though they sometimes felt like pawns, Michael and the other Archangels explained how their grandchildren were Random and Unfettered, unlike other Nephilim. They were something new and unique in The Order of Creation.

To break the seriousness of the mood, Bryan used his arm around Loy’s shoulder to pull him into a side headlock and give him a noogie. They both laughed, and Bryan let him go.

Go find Ricky and head out for a bit. I’ll take it from here.

You sure?

Yeah, it’s cool. Take Lane with you… I want him to see this place too, and I don’t want him getting in my way while I’m cooking.

Lane: I heard that.

Bryan laughed and thought: You were supposed to.

Lane: There’ll be plenty of time for me to explore, but I want to be with you. I’ll hang back and stay out from underfoot. I can play some tunes while you cook.

 

<><>

 

Ken and Brad had been gone for about an hour, taking in everything around them. Deep in one another, they shared their wonder and excitement of exploring the Valley. It had been a long time since either of them felt so relaxed, and they enjoyed the time together.

Both of them had the thought at the same time about going back to help Bryan.

Laughing, Ken thought: Sorry, B, but I don’t want Bryan doin’ all the work while we’re out strollin’ around. Not that I don’t love watchin’ your ass in front of me on the trail.

Next time you go in front so I can watch your ass.

You can watch my ass anytime at home, what’s so special about here?

You know how hamburgers taste so much better when you cook them outside while camping? Well, it’s the same thing. Being out here, in this place, it just makes things better like that. I didn’t think your ass could get any hotter, but it’s taking all my control not to jump your bones right here and now!

Oh! I like it when you get aggressive! You want my ass, B? You know it’s yours. I want yours too, but we can take turns. We haven’t done a flip-flop in a long time.

As they talked, Ken turned around with a devilish grin on his face, and he pulled Brad tight against him, pressing their sweaty bodies together. One hand wrapped around Brad’s back and the other went down to squeeze his ass. Both of Brad’s hands went down into Ken’s shorts to cup and knead his firm ass cheeks.

Putting their foreheads together, they stared into each other’s eyes, staying still and enjoying the feel of their bodies touching.

Brad chuckled and thought: I think this place is getting to us. All this extra charge is going straight to our dicks.

What’s wrong with that?

Well you know there’s nothing I’d rather do than make out with you, but I feel bad Bry is left doing everything by himself. We can work off this excess energy later in private but for now, let’s head back.

Yeah, you’re right. That’s no way ‘ta treat one of our own. I love you, B.

Love you too.

 

<><>

 

Reluctantly they pulled apart and walked hand in hand back to the camp. Ken heard Lane’s guitar as they approached. Once they arrived in the clearing, their eyes widened in surprise. Bryan had a huge fire pit assembled, complete with a collapsible grate for cooking. Potatoes roasted on the fire, along with steaks, ribs, and fresh asparagus. Ken’s stomach let out a massive rumble from the smells, and his mouth watered even more when he smelled Bryan’s special sweet garlic BBQ sauce.

Holy cow Bry, how did you do all this? We came back ‘ta help, but it looks like you got everythin’ under control!

Lane: He’s something, isn’t he? I can tell he’s been planning this.

Bryan shrugged his heavy shoulders.

It’s no big deal. This place is like a giant grocery store.

Ken: Is there anythin’ left for us ‘ta do?

Bryan: Yeah, give me a sec, and you can take some fruit down to the water so it can chill while the rest of this stuff’s cooking.

Bryan pulled a few of seeds out of a pouch, and tossed them on the ground. His Avatar flared green and the seeds sprouted. In less than a minute fully grown Cantaloupe and Honeydew Melons were ripe and ready to pick. Bryan filled a cotton net with melons and handed it to Ken, grinning at the look of astonishment on their faces.

There’s a small stream about a minute’s walk that way.

Bryan pointed to indicate the direction.

As soon as Ken and Brad disappeared down the trail, Bryan’s Avatar flared green again and the plants aged until they crumbled to dust, completing their cycle of life.

 

<><>

 

Ken and Brad headed down the small trail Bryan indicated. Sure enough, Ken heard the sound of running water as they got closer. As they made it to the edge of the stream, they were startled to see a man kneeling, washing his hands. He wore a simple outfit of a white cotton tunic and wrapped leggings, much like Uriel.

Looking at them, he smiled, “Hello Ken. Hello, Brad. Sorry if I surprised you. I’ve wanted to meet you two, and this seemed an appropriate time.”

He stood up, holding out a hand in greeting.

Neither Ken nor Brad felt any danger, and they were sure The Enemy wasn’t allowed there, so the man shouldn’t pose any threat.

Ken moved forward and took his hand. “Pleased ‘ta meet you…”

“Well, you probably couldn’t pronounce my real name. Why don’t you call me Luke.”

“Alright, Luke.”

Before Brad shook his hand, Luke said, “Here, let’s get your fruit in the water.”

Luke reached out to take the netted bag from Ken and placed it in the water, anchoring the cord around a rock.

“As cold as this water is, it won’t take long to get them chilled through. I’m surprised you didn’t just cool it yourselves. What’s the point of having your abilities if you don’t use them for yourselves once in a while?”

Ken asked him, “So Luke, I don’t mean ‘ta be rude, but who are you? We didn’t expect ‘ta see anyone else here.”

“That’s a difficult question and would take longer to answer than you care for. I’m a friend or hope to be. As I said, I’ve wanted to meet you two especially, and your Brothers of course. I know Bryan and Lane are nearby. The others are still wandering around.”

Luke gestured towards a fallen tree and said, “Why don’t you sit so we can chat for a few minutes? The reason you are here is to relax is it not?”

Ken took Brad’s hand and led them both to the log where they sat down.

Luke’s eyes focused briefly on their hands as he said, “I’ve missed this place… some of my fondest memories took place here. It’s been ages since I’ve visited and I’ve missed being here.”

There was a pause in the conversation as Luke fell silent, seemingly caught up in the memories he spoke of.

Brad asked him, “So Luke, why did you want to meet us, and what is it you want to talk about?”

“There is talk among those in the Higher Order about you. Whether you’re aware of it or not, you have drawn much attention to yourselves and are under heavy scrutiny. Many do not like the freedom you have. I’m here to offer my friendship and advice should you need it.”

Ken asked, “Why would any of the Higher Order be concerned with us? We’re pretty much insignificant compared ‘ta any of them.”

“That, my friend, is not true at all. Word spread quickly when you bested Michael, however briefly, in your encounter with him.”

“Yeah well, that was a special circumstance and probably a once in a lifetime gig. Compared ‘ta humans, we’re pretty powerful but compared ‘ta beings like Michael… well, we aren’t even in the same ballpark.”

“Again, not true. Your humility is becoming, but you must realize you now hold a place among them. Do not let them bully or force you into doing something against your will.”

“But none of ‘em would do that.”

“That is what I am here to tell you, Ken. There are those that will, and soon if I’m not mistaken. Many, like Michael, have forgotten their way. Against them, you would be truly powerful, and with my help, invincible.”

Brad spoke up, “I can’t believe any of them would do that. We trust them.”

“No offense Brad but you are terribly naïve. If you think they aren’t already using you, you are sadly mistaken. Your faith in them is commendable but misplaced. Such beings don’t care for you, and even if they did, their affections would not stand in the way of using you however they thought necessary to accomplish their goals.

“You said, Ken, and I quote, ‘so much for a higher order of being. I expected more…’”

“How do you know I said that?”

“I told you, many beings are keeping tabs on you, especially since your final Awakening. It was easy to come by that information.”

“But those were two-bit Nephilim hoodlums, not Archangels.”

“You think they are different? As Brad said to Istariel, they aren’t wired for emotion. It’s not in their nature. In dealing with such beings, you should consider them sociopathic. They do not feel as you or I do. It’s not in their nature.”

Ken didn’t hear anyone approach and was surprised when Michael’s voice, steely cold and intense said, “Not another word.”

Ken and Brad spun around, astonished to see ten Archangels intent on Luke. Michael, Uriel, Gabriel, Raphael, and Barachiel they recognized, but had no clue who the other five were. Dressed in various clothing styles, from blue jeans and jackets, animal skins, white cotton wrappings, and tailored suits, they Unveiled their Aura’s, radiating immense Power. Their eyes shone with the Light of Heaven.

Luke calmly responded, “I see. I should have known you would show up Michael.”

Michael’s chest rose and fell in contained anger; emotion clear on his face.

“You will say no more to any of these men.”

Michael looked at Ken and said, “Call your Brothers immediately. The dispensation on your ability to teleport is lifted.”

Raphael looked at Luke and said, “You shouldn’t be here.”

“I have every right to be here, Raphael.”

Raphael retorted, “Technically yes, but your presence is an affront to this place. You were warned never to return.”

Brad maintained a surface Link with everyone and sent a clear image of where he and Ken were.

Guys, teleport here on the double. Come in hot.

With their powers increased in the Valley, the Mentalists could teleport themselves and their partners to Brad and Ken. It was a strain, but they managed.

They appeared around Brad and Ken and immediately a bright White ribbon flowed between them as they merged into One. Tapping into their combined Power, Brad put a Shield over them. They stood tall, their Nephilim Heritage fully apparent, their Avatars spitting colorful arcs of energy.

Each of the Archangels moved to stand beside their Nephilim grandchild. The five none of them recognized went to Kevin, Pat, Darren, Bill, and Rick.

 

<>

 

Luke rolled his eyes and said, “Stop being so melodramatic, Raphael.”

Barachiel spoke up, “These men are under our Protection. You are never again to approach them or communicate with them. The consequences will be severe if you disobey.”

“They could hardly be more severe than what’s already happened, so that’s not much of a threat. For now, I’ve discovered what I came to learn and accomplished my purpose here. I have one additional task to perform, and then I will grant your wish and leave for now.”

Uriel all but yelled, “Stay away from the beast!”

“I have no intention of waking him Uriel, that would be quite counterproductive. Cannot a father look upon his sleeping child?”

Luke smiled at Brad and Ken, seemingly unaffected by the anger and intensity of the Archangels directed at him.

“Remember what I’ve said. My offer of help stands should you feel inclined to accept. We’ll see each other again soon, I’m sure.”

With a sound of fluttering wings, Luke vanished.

 

<><>

 

A short silence followed Luke’s disappearance, and then Ken turned to Michael and asked, “Can you tell me what just happened? Who is he?”

Michael remained silent, his fists clenched and face a mask of anger.

Raphael answered, “He has many names, none of which should be spoken, even the name he gave you here. I cannot express to you how dangerous merely talking to him is. You must trust us on this matter.”

Michael interjected, “He was once our Brother. He is the one who seduced The Master into slaying his brother, thus bringing about the Curse on Mankind; all for a whim and his amusement.”

Ken and Brad and the others were stunned at this revelation.

Gabriel said, “The layers of his deception are without measure. Everything he does is with a purpose, even something as innocuous as saying hello. I wish it were as simple as staying away from him, but now he has taken an interest, he will insert himself, however subtly, into your lives. You must be on your guard at all times. We will do our best to keep him from reaching you, but he is clever and powerful and will try to find ways to communicate with you that circumvent our Protection.”

Barachiel said, “I will double my Guard over you all as a precaution. Remember, if you have the slightest inclination he is watching you or attempting to communicate, call out to one of us. We will be Listening, and one of us will always be nearby.”

While their faces still showed some tension, Raphael glanced at the other Archangels and said, “Since we are all here, you should say hello to your descendants. It’s a shame your meeting came about as it did, but as with all evil deeds, we must attempt to turn this into something good.”

Pat, Darren, Bill, Kevin, and Rick looked excited. As their eyes scanned the Heavenly beings and made eye contact with their ancestor, they received a smile. They greeted each other warmly but tentatively. While they looked forward to meeting, now they were before one another, none of them knew what to say.

While their Brothers became acquainted with their new-found relatives, Ken, Brad, Bryan, and Lane gathered with their own while Loy stayed with Rick to share in his excitement.

Ken looked at Michael and asked, “How worried should we be?”

Michael remained pensive, and again it was Raphael who answered, “I suppose it was inevitable he would involve himself in the Conflict on Earth once again. Now that The Master has seen his potential downfall, it was only a matter of time. Our Fallen Brother doesn’t care one whit for The Master and would gladly sacrifice him in favor of a better option. If we have done our jobs and he has no other options he is forced to involve himself to protect his current investment. Now that the Rules have been thrown out the window the situation is more dangerous for you than ever.”

Brad asked, “Do you think it was Luke who showed The Enemy how to make the amulets that imprisoned Istariel and the others?”

“Most assuredly the information came from him. Probably through untraceable means but you can be sure he orchestrated the knowledge getting into their hands. There is much information that remains hidden from humankind for good reason. If he is willing to break that Mandate, troubled times lie ahead for all of us.”

Michael finally spoke, “Unfortunately, we must have absolute proof before we can act. We cannot break our own Rules on hearsay or assumptions. You said, Ken, if we ever needed your help to ask. If in your fight with The Enemy on this Plane, you find proof that our Fallen Brother is responsible then we can act. He’s clever enough I doubt you will find it, but if you do find proof call to us immediately.”

 

<><>

 

Once the excitement passed, and the Angels disappeared, Bryan went back to camp to finish cooking. His buddies were in awe of what Bryan put together. It was just like in his kitchen at home, and nothing was left undone. Between Bryan and Lane and their Avatars, with their abilities amplified in the Valley, they made anything they needed.

While Bryan put the finishing touches on everything, the guys chattered excitedly among themselves about getting to meet their Angelic ancestors. They all had big smiles on their faces.

After dinner was finished and the few leftovers stashed for a later snack, Bryan burned the remains per Barachiel’s instructions. When it was all settled, Bryan asked, “So do you fuckers want to see Leroy now?”

The guys knew how important it was for Bryan to share his bond with the creature with them. Ken also made sure Bryan knew how proud he was of everything he accomplished with the food, and what an excellent guide he’d been so far. Bryan appreciated their gratitude for his efforts, and in return, they realized how happy he was to do it. For Bryan, cooking was a joy and another way he expressed his affections towards them.

The mouth of the cave that led to the Water of Life stood close to their camp. Bryan followed the same path taken by Uriel, leading them carefully and warning them of any bumps or roots until the floor smoothed into stone and they reached the cavern with the Water.

The silvery glow of the Water of Life mesmerized them as it cascaded down multiple waterfalls over the giant roots of the Tree, forming a small lake. The Magic of the Water emanated out, surrounding them.

They remained quiet in the ancient cavern, not wanting to break the reverent silence.

When Bryan finally spoke, it was in a hushed voice that echoed softly in the cavern, “Okay guys everyone be quiet from here on… keep any chatter in our heads. I’m not sure why, but Leroy’s agitated. Now that I’m close, I can feel him, but as long as we’re quiet, it’ll be fine.”

Bryan led them further down the path until they were once again in a tunnel that led steadily downward. The temperature increased the deeper they went, and it was not long before they began to see the fiery glow of the cavern.

Hold onto your hats, fuckers. This is going to be like nothing you’ve ever seen before.

They all sensed the grin on Bryan’s face that accompanied his thoughts.

Even though they had lived through Bryan’s memories and shared his emotional experience, they were still unprepared for the strength and majesty of the creature Bryan named Leroy. The scale of his immensity was astounding. With their Avatars Linked, between Bill’s, Pat’s, and Loy’s abilities, they saw and Understood what he was, and how powerful; his Purpose and nature were revealed to them. Loy saw him much the same as Bryan… a Perfect and Pure creature, unique, with a Fire inside him staggering to behold.

Bryan had them stand just inside the entrance to the cavern for a few minutes to take everything in. Then he quietly and slowly moved forward and motioned for them to follow.

He rested his hands on Leroy’s soft, leathery hide, soothingly caressing him, and quietly said, “I’m here buddy. I brought some friends to meet you. These are my Brothers, the fuck-ups I told you about.”

Leroy’s huge eyelid opened a sliver, revealing the enormous golden eye underneath. His consciousness stirred enough to know Bryan was there and Bryan was shocked at what he felt.

Leroy’s Mind was filled with Rage! In his Dreams, he Devoured the world and all Creation as he would one day be called upon to do. Bryan had never felt Leroy’s internal Rage before, and he was tense and distraught, wanting desperately to soothe the massive creature. Bryan’s distress, magnified by Leroy’s emotions, ran through the Link.

Brad: I’m sure this is no coincidence, Bry. I’m sure our visitor had something to do with this.

Bryan: He’s never been like this before. I don’t know what to do for him. What did that fucker do?!

Leroy started to tremble and twitch, like animals do when they dream, but he was so immense his movements shook the entire Valley.

Brad: Guys, I have an idea; ten, five, One.

They practiced merging quickly in their training so many times it was second nature to them. The partners poured themselves into one another and then as Brothers they came together; ten men, five couples, One being. Their breath caught and their eyes misted from the emotional intimacy, unconditional love, and utter acceptance between them.

Brad held the image in his Mind of where he needed everyone to stand; Lane at the center with Ken and Loy beside him, and everyone else at the vector points of their combined Avatars.

Brad: Lane, sing something soft and soothing. A lullaby if you know one.

Lane’s guitar coalesced out of nothing into his hands. He started strumming a song he remembered from his childhood but modified the words to suit his need.

Their Avatars spit bright colors amidst the powerful White ribbon connecting all of them. They were One, so Lane saw what Brad had in Mind and shaped the Power with his Will, pulling mostly from Loy and Ken but also minor aspects from all of them.

Loy’s Stewardship over natural creatures, amplified in the Valley and by their merging set the stage. Ken’s Conviction would drive the words into Leroy’s Mind along with Loy’s Command to be calm and return to a peaceful sleep.

 

Golden slumbers kiss your eyes,

Smiles await you when you rise.

Sleep,

Pretty Baby,

Do not cry,

And I will sing you a lullaby.

Cares you know not,

Therefore sleep,

While over you a watch we’ll keep.

Sleep,

Pretty darling,

Do not cry,

And I will sing you a lullaby.

 

 

Within seconds Leroy calmed, and his Rage subsided. The Love from Bryan, his Protector, and the others through Lane’s music overcame his Rage. A short moment later Leroy let out a massive, contented sigh and went still, sleeping peacefully once again. His warm breath blew over them like a small gale, and they smiled.

Pressing his body against Leroy, his arms held wide, Bryan caressed the leathery hide giving him a giant hug. Bryan closed his eyes and breathed a sigh of relief, resting against the enormous creature. Through Bryan’s enhanced senses, the warmth of Leroy’s hide and the Fire rumbling within him were soothing.

“Everything’s alright now, buddy. Guys, come up one at a time. I want him to know your touch.”

It was thrilling to each of them as they approached and touched the immensely powerful creature. His hide smelled musty but not bad and was softer than expected and warm. The enormity of what they were doing, touching a creature powerful enough to destroy everything was not lost on any of them.

Through Bryan, each of his Brothers now had a connection to Leroy, especially the Bodies.

 

<><><>

 

The next day, after another great meal from Bryan, they decided to go swimming. It was quite a hike out of the mountain range to get to the shore, but Ken, Brad, Pat, and Darren had to make the trek anyway to check in with the doctor and Albrecht and retrieve the Amulets. Everything was fine at the Lab, and they enjoyed a day at the beach.

Loy called orcas and dolphins, and everyone was blown away at riding on the backs of the magnificent creatures and playing with the dolphins. The intelligence of both species astounded everyone but Loy and Rick, who had spent time with them when they trained with the doctor and Albrecht in the Bahamas.

It was fun for Darren and the other Mentalists to teleport high into the air and do flips on the way down as they dove into the water. With their abilities magnified in the Valley, it was easy to send the more massive guys up as well, and they had a cannonball contest. It was a fantastic day in the hot sun and cool waters.

When they arrived back at camp, after dinner Brad sent his thoughts out to them.

Okay, guys, it’s time to free Istariel and the others. As soon as we arrived, I knew we could do this. I’ve been thinking about this place, and while I believe the Tree is partially responsible for making us stronger, I think it’s more than that. This place exists on both sides of the Veil, and we’re now Physical and Spiritual beings, so both sides of our nature are fully realized here.

Brad held up the Amulet imprisoning Istariel.

Pat, can you tell me what you see?

Patrick’s eyes turned White, and his handsome brow furrowed in the way Darren found irresistible. Pat Understood how they functioned, their powerful and intricate nature, incorporating a matrix of Runes none of them were familiar with.

Thanks Pat. That confirms my suspicions, and it’s going to be rather easy. This place being on both sides is what will let us free them. It’s a Paradox to be in two places at the same time, but here it’s possible. I can leave my body and take the Amulets physically across the Veil. Once there, all I have to do is break the Rune that seals the matrix, and they can leave at will.

To be safe, we should all go and be a part of it. Not just for safety but to show our support and for the help they’ve been to us.

Ken: I think that’s a great idea, B.

Alright; ten, five, One.

Like so many times before, they merged as couples first, and then as a group. In the Valley, their blending was even deeper and more profound, and they took extra time to adjust to the intimacy and potency of the bonds between them. As always, their bodies reacted as their breath caught and their eyes watered. They appeared naked to one another in that special place where they were One, and their arms found their way around each other’s shoulders as they pressed together. The warmth and strength of their bodies matched their Minds, Hearts, and Souls, and they wondered how they ever lived before without the connections they now shared.

When they were ready, their Souls and Minds left their Bodies as glowing orbs of Light. Brad held the Amulets with his Mind, floating between them.

Since Brad’s Avatar was Primary for crossing the Veil, he synchronized the others, and the shift was subtle but evident. When Brad and Ken Crossed before they had no body’s, and there was no visual perspective to draw on. This time it was more like a haze covering the Physical Realm; it wasn’t as if things were out of focus, but everything looked softened.

Darren I’m going to let you do the honors.

A Physical act in the Spiritual Realm should have been impossible, but as the doctor surmised with his charges, there was little beyond their reach when they worked in harmony with one another and to the Purpose of their existence.

They watched expectantly as Darren broke the Binding. Immediately, four balls of Light arced out of the Amulets, hovering in front of Ken and the others, bobbing gently for a moment before expanding into the forms of the tall robed figures they had come to know and recognize as their Nephilim cousins.

Brad brought everyone back across the Veil, returning them to their bodies but still tightly merged.

The gratitude in Istariel’s voice was evident.

Thank you, cousins. I knew you would not fail us.

Ken: I’m sorry it took us so long. I know this happened because you helped us and I hope you’ll be safe. If there’s anythin’ you need or anythin’ we can do for you don’t hesitate ‘ta ask.

Brad: Do you know who was responsible for your imprisonment?

Istariel didn’t reply immediately. He turned to face the other three, and it was apparent they spoke among themselves. The other Nephilim vanished, and Istariel turned back to face Ken, Brad, and the others.

Yes, we do. If you had done as I asked, Brad Wilson, this would not have happened. However, I am glad events turned out as they did. Our imprisonment taught us much, and it allowed us to strengthen our friendships with you, our cousins.

Brad knew immediately what Istariel meant. Ken arrived at the same conclusion, and Brad was about to speak when the three Nephilim reappeared with a black sphere hovering between them, held by chains of Light.

Brad and Ken recognized the sniveling voice as the ringleader of the lesser Nephilim they encountered when they crossed the Veil to find Bill.

Istariel and the other three Nephilim radiated a powerful Aura of anger. Istariel raised his arm, and a whip of Light lashed out, adding to the bonds already holding the Black sphere, and the screaming in their Minds grew louder.

Ken: What are you gonna do ‘ta him? I think I know your answer, but I wanna be clear.

Istariel: He will pay for his betrayal with his existence. Justice in the Spiritual Realm is different than what you are used to. He has given himself to the service of The Enemy. He can no longer help himself and cannot change. I never thought it would go so far, and it saddens me, but there is no alternative.

Some kinds can never be forgiven once in servitude to The Enemy. You know this. I have seen you kill servants of The Enemy. The unconditional love the doctor taught you does not apply to beings like this, and as you said, Love is not in our nature as it is with yours. We are learning and grateful to you for how we have already changed, but this creature no longer has that option.

To show you we are not as heartless as you think I would ask a favor of you.

Ken: If it’s within’ our ability, you know we’ll try. What’re you askin’?

Istariel: I would ask William Brennan to employ his Avatar on our behalf and discover his secrets. We have no wish to be cruel, but it is necessary to find out who he is in counsel with and what alliances he has formed in our Realm.

Ken looked at Bill and nodded. Not wanting any secrets in this, he openly sent his thoughts to Bill.

Bill, are you okay with that?

Bill: My pleasure, Cap.

Deeply merged, Ken knew Bill was all right with what Istariel asked. It wasn’t about getting revenge on one of the beings that caused him so much grief during his imprisonment. Bill’s action was in support of their cause and their fight for The Order. Ken’s chest swelled with pride for his Brother.

Bill stepped forward and stretched out his hand. Remembering his experience with the Skull, he paused for the briefest second, steeling himself for what he was about to learn. However, this time, Bill was in full control of his Avatar, and his experience with the skull would never happen again. As soon as Bill’s hand entered the Dark sphere, his Avatar flared to life. Bright colors flashed and sparked off his shoulder as the creature’s existence became a part of him. It took a moment; as a Nephilim it had existed a very long time. The more Bill learned, the darker his face became, reflecting his emotional surge of anger as his Avatar fed him everything there was to know about the creature.

Bill tensed, sweating as his Soul dealt with the Evil of the Nephilim he touched. Kevin moved to him, holding his partner in support, and all of them became a barrier around Bill, buffering him with their Minds, Hearts, and Souls. Everything that was a part of him became a part of them to a lesser extent, but his Avatar was Prime in that instance and the effect on him more severe.

Once he knew everything, Bill looked at Istariel and said, “I have what you want.”

The White chains holding their captive sprouted razor-sharp edges, and they yanked, shredding the Dark Spirit. After a brief, horrific scream, everyone fell silent, unsettled by the violent act of their cousins.

Istariel sensed their discomfort.

I apologize if our actions disturb you. You are unfamiliar with the ways of the Spiritual Realm, and how the War in your Realm has spilled over to ours. It is War, and every enemy we remove is one less to deal with in the future. You know this to be true… we saw it in your military actions all those years ago.

Brad: It’s not that we don’t understand Istariel. We’ve had to kill agents of The Enemy. We did so not long ago. But we don’t have to like it, and it is a last resort. I only hope your actions were not out of revenge.

Istariel: I will admit to a certain amount of satisfaction at what we did, but have no fear Brad Wilson; our actions are in support of the struggle we are involved in and not a personal vendetta.

Bill: Ken, you won’t believe the information I got from that thing. We’ll have to act fast if it’s going to be of any use to us.

Ken: Okay, Bill, give Istariel what you have. Istariel, you and your crew can mop up things on your side of the Veil. If you need our help, you know all you have ‘ta do is ask. We’ll start workin’ on our side. We go home in a couple of days, so we’ll hit the ground runnin’. When we check in with the doc and Albrecht tomorrow, we’ll share what you found so they can start assimilatin’ the information.

While all of the guys were on edge at what they witnessed, there was also an underlying current of excitement. They were on the offensive against The Enemy, and it looked like they landed some incredible Intel.

Bill held out his hand, concentrating, and a small glowing orb appeared. It split into four separate spheres, and each gently bobbed over to float before Istariel and the other Nephilim.

The giant robed figures held out their hands, cupping the spheres and absorbing the knowledge they contained.

Istariel: We leave you now, cousins. Thank you again for our freedom. Walk in the Light.

With that, the four Nephilim vanished.

 

<><><>

 

The next few days were peaceful and relaxing. Ken and the other Bodies practiced growing food to help Bryan, while Loy and the Mentalists took care of getting meat every day. With their appetites there were rarely leftovers, but Uriel instructed them to burn the physical remains of any animals to ash. Bryan taught them how to make jerky from the leftover meat to use for snacks, and they burned the rest.

Two nights before they were due to head home, Bryan woke to Lane trembling. Lane’s tattoo glowed, and Bryan realized he was Dreaming. While Lane shook slightly, it didn’t seem harsh; he wasn’t sweating or thrashing about as he often did. Bryan rested a hand on his chest, rubbing in gentle circles, hoping Lane would subconsciously be aware of his touch, but careful not to intentionally wake him.

After a minute, Lane woke up; it was one of the few times he hadn’t woken up screaming or traumatized. Bryan watched as his eyes opened, and for a brief second they remained unfocused, but then he saw Bryan looking at him, and he smiled. Lane’s face lit up, and it melted Bryan’s heart to know his presence had that effect on his lover.

“Bry… shit, that was amazing.”

“Okay, that’s different. Tell me?”

“I will in the morning. Right now, I want to cuddle and drift back to sleep.”

Bryan tightened his arm around Lane’s shoulders and pulled their Minds together, wanting Lane to feel safe, loved, and protected. Within a minute Lane’s breath against his chest slowed as he fell into a peaceful, contented sleep.

Most of Lane’s Dreams were traumatic, and Bryan was curious to hear about this latest one. Leaning down, Bryan kissed the top of Lane’s head and whispered, “I love you, Little Buddy. You’re everything to me you little fucker.”

With those words, Bryan closed his eyes and fell asleep, feeling Lane’s body against his and his warm breath on his chest.

 

<><><>

 

The next morning everyone woke wholly rested as they had every morning since their arrival in the Valley. It was going to be difficult to return to the Lab and their regular routines after being in such a perfect place. It was like they belonged in the Valley, so close to the Tree.

After another incredible breakfast, they packed some food and headed back to the ocean for another relaxing day.

Lane shared his Dream with Bryan, who smiled with pride at his partner once he knew what was going to happen that evening.

 

<><><>

 

That night after dinner, they built a giant bonfire. Each couple sat with their backs against a tree in their favorite lounging position. Brad leaned back, his head resting on Ken’s chest with Ken’s arms around him.

No one spoke out loud, but they all chatted quietly in their Minds, joking and hanging shit on one another in the way Brothers do. With the warmth of the fire on their faces and the touch of their Minds and Hearts, the feeling of contentment in all of them was perfect.

As the night progressed, the moon rose above the lip of the valley. Lane got up to take a leak, and when he came back, he stood by the fire warming his hands.

You guys want to listen to some tunes?

The response was unanimous, and Lane grinned, happy his music could make Bryan and his best friends excited.

With a grand flourish of his arm, Lane’s guitar coalesced out of thin air. It was beautifully ornate, with the pattern of his tattoo enameled on a large part of it. Lane looked a little startled because it wasn’t the one he usually summoned. He took it in stride, knowing it must have something to do with his Dream and the song he would play for all of them a little later. His instincts told him it wasn’t quite time yet.

I had a Dream last night guys, and there’s a song I need to sing tonight. It’s not quite the right time, so for starters, I’ll play a few of the songs that have been part of our journey and mean something to us.

Bryan’s brow furrowed and a pair of bongo drums appeared in his lap. Similar to Lane’s guitar, the drums had Bryans tattoo as a design.

As a start, Lane played The Humbling River, the first song he Dreamt; the one that unlocked their Nephilim Heritage and set them on the path they were currently on. He played Annie’s Song, the song he sang for Bryan the night they first met Albrecht. He played Bring Me to Life, the song he played in Tag’s hospital room the day they broke him free of the Mental prison The Enemy had trapped him in. He played Home, the song he wrote for Greg Rawlins, the man who died at the hands of The Master after Brad, Ken, Loy, and Rick kept him from committing suicide. He added a few new ones to keep things fresh, and when he sang He Ain’t Heavy, He’s my Brother most of the guys had tears in their eyes by the time he finished.

As everyone listened, shared memories invoked by the music stirred between them, calling forth images and deep emotions in their Minds and Hearts. They hugged each other a little tighter, smiled, and sometimes cried through the journey Lane took them on.

The perfect night, the warmth of the fire, the loving bonds of their friendships, and the presence of the Tree all came together, as they relaxed in a way they never could, even in the Lab. Their stomachs were full, and the feeling of being together with their Soul mates and their Brothers was perfect.

As Lane finished the last song, the night fell quiet except for the crackling of the fire and an occasional pop of coals. The change was subtle, but they felt it at the same time… that otherworldly shift that accompanied significant and powerful events.

The moon, which earlier had been only half full, was now full and bright, filling the night sky. A red glow lit the rim of the valley as mist formed on the peaks. The image was surreal, impossible, yet it was. Above the moon, the night sky filled with stars from the spiral arm of the Milky Way Earth resided in.

As strange as it looked, it felt right, and in that place, for a brief time, the Veil lifted. Instead of the Valley being on both sides at the same time, the Valley was complete and One with both aspects of reality. Tonight, in that place, they knew anything was possible.

Okay, guys. Tonight is going to be a little different.

Laughing at Lane’s comment, they hung a little shit on him for stating the obvious.

Looking up, he laughed at himself.

Yeah, well, there is that! What I mean is the song I Dreamt is a little different. We’re all a part of this one… and you fellas need to sing parts of it with me. Don’t ask me why, but it’s important. Bry and I will sing it through once, and then four of you will help with the chant, and four of you will help with the chorus. We’ll be singing it three times total. I’ll change instruments at least once, and Bry will cover the drums as usual. I’ll guide you through your parts, so don’t worry, and get ready ladies because this is going to be awesome!

Lane’s eyes turned White, and his head lowered for a few seconds as he ordered everything in his Mind. At the first chord, with their ears and their Minds, Power stirred in them and the air around them.

Once again, with the Authority of his Voice and Avatar, Lane took them on a journey. He sang of how distant the Light of Home was to the world, yet how that Light within them was a beacon for Mankind to rally around. He wove the history of the doctor and Albrecht and The Order’s fight against The Enemy, and how they held a Song in them humans would one day hear and know for what it was; the way Home. He sang of The Enemy, and the dark Nephilim, of Greg Rawlins’s death, and how as Brother’s they would never give up the fight, and ride the storm of the battle they were in. Leroy was in the song, and a Stone, and mysteries and riddles they had yet to discover.

The first time through everyone picked up the lyrics, and Lane directed Brad, Loy, Bill, and Darren in the chorus with him and Ken, Bryan, Rick, Kevin, and Patrick in the chant. For the chant, their deep baritones fit perfect, and with Lane’s guidance, Brad, Loy, Bill, and Darren kept in tune and stayed on pitch.

The song encapsulated the past, present, and future revolving around them. Images entered their Minds as some of the lyrics were manifest, while others they had no clue about and could only imagine they pertained to future events or occurrences. The importance of the song went through them, and their Avatars tingled, glowing brightly. References to a hidden door and something stolen were meaningless at the time, but they were confident that eventually the mysteries would become clear. On top of the lyrics, the melody was beautiful, simple, and elegant.

Lane shifted from his guitar to a violin for the middle verses, and his eyes remained closed the entire time, lost in the music. He channeled a song given to him by a Higher Power, and he was the perfect vessel; the grandson of Gabriel, Herald of the Most High.

The song was a Gift and Affirmation of their existence and the task set before them. Once it started for the second time, Ken’s Avatar flared and synchronized Bryan’s, Kevin’s, Patrick’s, and Rick’s. A feeling of well-being and confidence occupied their Hearts, leaving no doubt they were on the path set before them and fulfilling their Purpose. The atmosphere was euphoric, and while they knew they had the Free Will to go against their path, there was no desire to do so. The drive and fortitude they shared as men were present when the doctor first found them and they wondered if maybe he knew even then. It wouldn’t surprise any of them what he knew or was capable of.

As the song came to a close for the third time, they were glowing like stars. Their energy centers fully Open, a hot wind blew from the Power coursing between them, fanning the bonfire making it white-hot, but also soothing their skin from the increased heat. With their Physical and Spiritual natures completed in the Valley, the Power arcing through them stretched them, enhancing and increasing their capacity even further.

As always, the love they felt for each other as partners and Brothers filled them, so powerful and intimate its beauty overwhelmed them. Tears flowed freely down their handsome faces even as they smiled, unable to contain their emotions. When the music finally stopped each couple held one another in a close embrace, the energies hot inside them. A third of that energy was of the Body, and it fueled their desire for each other with a strength that could not be denied.

Lane’s face lit with his mischievous grin.

Pretty cool, eh? I don’t know about you fuckers, but I’m taking Bry into the woods to rip his clothes off. See you guys in the morning!

Taking Bryan’s hand, the two men went back under the giant roots of the Tree and made love. Each of the couples, hand in hand, went far enough away for some privacy.

B, I don’t know how I can keep sayin’ this, but I love you more than ever. I’m not talkin’ horny for my stud boyfriend kinda love. I’m hungry for you in a way that only you can fill; all of you. That song… it did somethin’ else ‘ta us.

I feel it too, Ken. It wasn’t an Awakening, but it was something. We can sort it out later. Don’t ever feel like you can’t say you love me. I love to hear it, even though I know it beyond any doubt. Some capacity inside us just expanded. The place you hold in my heart just got bigger… I didn’t think that was possible, but it happened. I want you inside me so bad it hurts - not only your dick but you.

They moved to a small clearing not far from their camp. Ken brought a cotton blanket and spread it across the soft grass.

Ken looked at Brad’s handsome face in the moonlight. His skin shone like silver, and the sight of his muscular body look Ken’s breath away. Cupping Brad’s face lightly in his fingers, Ken started a soft and gentle kiss. Brad brought his arms up and around Ken’s heavy shoulders and pulled them together. Both of them needed to feel their bodies touch.

The contact jumpstarted Ken’s libido, and he whispered an intense, “Fuck!” as he closed his eyes tightly and pressed his forehead against Brad’s, both of them breathing heavy.

Ken took a few deep breaths to get control of himself. He wanted tonight to be special and send Brad over the moon with pleasure. Brad brought their Souls together, and a sharp intake of breath followed the sudden intimacy and love as they immersed themselves in one another, and tears filled their eyes.

Ken reached down and lifted Brad’s t-shirt up and over his head, and his erection surged at the sight of Brad’s muscled body shining in the moonlight. With his enhanced sight Ken saw Brad as though it was daylight and his eyes raked over every inch of his lover. With his fingertips, he lightly traced everywhere his eyes roamed. With a feather-light touch, he ran his fingers through the hair on Brad’s chest and stomach, causing a slight tickling sensation.

With the first touch of Ken’s warm hands, Brad lost himself in the pleasure of his lover’s touch. Ken’s hands always affected him that way; his lover’s hands. The way Ken looked at him; the hunger, the lust, and the love in his eyes, all added fuel to the fire burning in him. Brad put his arms out, his muscles tensed and chest pushed out, exposing himself to Ken and not wanting the feeling to end.

Throughout the night, Ken vacillated between slow sensual love and being ‘that guy’ for Brad.

The hours passed, and the orgasms seemed non-stop. The energy they had by being in the Valley kept them going, beyond their normal limits.

 

 

<><><>

 

The next morning they woke to the smell of bacon. Bryan, Lane, Rick, and Loy were back at camp and had things moving. As Ken and Brad joined them, their buddies had smirks on their faces.

Brad: Mornin’ fellas!

Ken: Mornin’, guys! What’s everybody smilin’ about?

Loy: Nothing much. We just had a bit of a surprise last night is all.

Ken: Yeah, that song blew me away too!

They all burst out laughing at Ken’s comment. Brad blushed and lowered his head but had a smile on his face.

Loy: Yeah, the song was amazing, but that’s not what we’re talking about. We’re talking about that wild animal we heard last night. I don’t think we’ve ever heard Brad scream like that. It was hot!

Ken: Fuck!

Rick: Yeah, you certainly did! Hell, all of us did, but you two made some serious noise last night. I think Darren and Pat got off on hearing you. They’re still going at it.

Darren: I heard that you fuckers. So, what’s your point?

Bryan: If you sissy fuckers don’t get your asses in gear there won’t be any food left.

They laughed and cut up over the next half hour while the rest of the guys showed up. They remained closely Linked and kept ribbing one another, especially Ken and Brad. From that point on they added a new term to their shit hanging known as the big VO, or Valley Orgasm.

Once breakfast was finished, and everything packed, it was time for the trek out. Ken decided, and everyone agreed, they would hike out of the mountain range to the spot they teleported in, rather than leave from camp. With the dispensation on their ability to teleport lifted, they could easily come and go, but something about taking the easy path didn’t sit well with them.

It took a few hours, but eventually, they were back in the rocky area where Bryan first appeared.

Bryan: I want you fuckers to know what a great time I had with you. Couldn’t ask for a better bunch of fuck-ups in my life.

There was no direct verbal response, but Brad deepened their Link and brought their Minds and Souls tighter. Bryan was right; the Valley was special. They weren’t sure if it was designed for them or if they were designed for it, but everything seemed perfect, like their own Fortress of Solitude.

They left rejuvenated and let the love and support for each other fill them up. They rested in one another for a few minutes before Ken broke the silence with a heavy sigh.

Okay guys, let’s head out. I hate it, but we need ‘ta get back ‘ta our day jobs. Darren, would you do the honors?

Darren’s eyes turned White, and his Avatar flared brightly on his muscled shoulder. Immediately Brad’s, Lane’s, Loy’s, and Bill’s Avatars responded. Darren had them each stand at the vector points of his Avatar and felt the Power wash through him. He directed it effortlessly, and they vanished.

 

<><>

 

In the clearing where they made their camp, Luke appeared. He glanced around and took in a deep breath, smelling the influence of their lingering presence. They were becoming truly powerful and would suit his purposes perfectly. It would take time, but they would be his, one way or another.

The sound of nearby fluttering of wings made him cautious. He knew Michael and the others were keeping an eye on the Valley; Barachiel’s legions surrounded it. With a contemptuous grin on his face, Luke vanished.

 

<><><>

 

During the time the guys camped in the Valley, The Master slept fitfully, Dreaming of when he was a young boy and events that led him to where he was. He hated those memories and blocked them from his conscious Mind tens of thousands of years ago.

He knew the Dreams meant they were in the Valley, but He no longer knew where it was or how to get there. After the Veil was Called, the Archangel Michael hid the Valley. The Master wished fervently to discover its location if only to destroy it, but it was well protected, and not just by The Order.

The presence of the Nephilim abominations in the Valley made his hatred for them all the stronger. He was careful to channel his anger and not let it consume him. He could not die, but they could; their bodies anyway, and if he destroyed their bodies, they would no longer exist in the Physical Realm to oppose him.

He only had to kill one of them to break their precious circle. They would still be powerful, but the higher combinations of their Avatars would no longer be available to them, and any hope of defeating him would be gone.

Unable to sleep, he got up and went to his study. Sitting in his favorite chair covered with the flesh of his enemies throughout the ages, he began formulating a plan for their demise.

A short time later, his lips pulled back over his crooked sharp teeth. The Master smiled to himself, as a new plan developed.

 

For any of you who like to listen to the songs Lane plays, I chose this one for the Dream he had in the Valley while the guys were camping. With only a few tweaks to the lyrics it fits perfectly into the overall story. I won’t list out the lyrics here, but they are pretty obvious. There are a few lines in the Song that pertain to the sequel (as yet to be written haha). One in particular refers to a ‘Hidden Door,’ and the entire crux of the next series lies on that line. That’s not a spoiler, just a tease 😊 The Song of the Lonely Mountain from The Hobbit

 

I’ve posted a few of the other songs throughout the story so far, but I’ll post the ones Lane sang around the campfire here for reference:

The Humbling River (duet mix)

Annie's Song

Bring Me to Life

Home

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

If (Lane didn’t sing this one on the camping trip but I included it here as an aside. This is the first song Lane sang to Bryan when they were stuck in Taliesin’s Construct. It is one of the many songs on his ‘Bryan’s List.’)

 

On a side note, I know everyone doesn’t listen to the music. I’m sure many might find it cheesy or stupid, or even distracting, which is why I pulled the lyrics out of the story for the most part, other than a line or two (aside from the legal copyright issue). I’ve had a few readers who are classical music aficionados tell me Lane should play mostly classical music. I don’t agree with him playing exclusively classical music, but I think over time he will gravitate in that direction. All of the guys were born in the 1960’s, so they grew up in the 70’s and 80’s. The human part of them gravitates to what they knew in their informative years, but as they are now Immortal, their musical tastes will change over time. Personally, I don’t have a musical bone in my body, so I have to be careful with what I do with Lane and his talent lol. I’m tone deaf, and can’t read sheet music, so I never want to overstep how I portray Lane and make any major mistakes and irritate anyone due to my lack of knowledge. Anyhoo… hope you enjoy the music. I know it isn’t for everyone, but it is what motivated much of the story, and I listen to many of these songs while doing cardio in the gym. When I do that, the images flow into my mind and then I write them down and they become what you read here.

Copyright © 2019 btaoc1963; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another great chapter. For the first part, I thought we were going to have a nice feel good chapter for as change but as always not to be. Danger lurks. Again great writing. Can’t wait for the next one. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Outstanding chapter! The team got a welcome break from the stress and war. They were able to strengthen their bodies and bonds to prepare themselves for the next battle to come. When they released their grandparents from the lockets they were able to determine through Bill’s avatar who was behind their betrayal and the Nephilim executed the traitor and began the hunt for his fellow conspirators. The war is going on around the team and they’ve now met the evil one who still believes that he can use them for his evil plans. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️ 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I had a busy week and not much time to read so it took me longer than usual to get through the chapter.  But it was worth it.  I, too, think the guys needed the R&R to prepare them for what's ahead. 

As for songs.... two of them kept popping in my head at various times while reading this chapter....Van Halen's 'Running With the Devil' and The Charlie  Daniels Band 'The Devil Went Down to Georgia' 🤣🤭😈

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..