Jump to content
    btaoc1963
  • Author
  • 52,506 Words
  • 2,071 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Order - 30. Chapter 30

Content warning: This story contains adult situations, language, and consensual sex between adult men. If said content is illegal in your state or country, please leave now and do not continue.

Tissue warning is in effect for this chapter 😉

(** Prologue **)

 

Forces set in motion before the beginning of Time and Creation were in play. Allenor, the sole survivor of the previous Creation, freed from his imprisonment over billions of years, sought the one he called Origin. He asked to be unmade but Origin was silent, and so Allenor continued his unintentional influence on Creation.

The Dragon, named Leroy by Bryan, whose Purpose was initially thought to be an instrument of destruction, created by God to one day annihilate Creation, slept in the Valley. It was still unclear if his Purpose was misunderstood, or if the ripples of the hybrid Nephilim’s existence altered Leroy in some fundamental way. Bryan and his Brothers deduced that Leroy’s Fire could destroy Creation or Cleanse it and make it new again. One of the ten Avatars, the Avatar of Renewal wielded by Kevin, drew from Leroy’s Fire as its Source.

The Dark One, who plotted the downfall of the High Hosts since his Fall and expungement from Home, spun his plots both inside and outside of Time. His most prominent thread in the Physical Realm was The Master. The Master’s thread spun into existence eighty thousand years ago and was about to come to fruition or be severed from the Tapestry altogether. The Dark One, however, was helpless to intervene or interfere with the outcome of The Master. Due to ripples of the Hybrid Nephilim and their cleverness and might, he was bound by the Oathstone of Heaven and unable to influence events.

The vortices and turbulence from the multitude of forces were felt everywhere in everything, and all led to the moment at hand, as a little boy named Drew Ross faced his brother, The Master, a being of immeasurable Power and Evil. Drew was the Key to Mankind’s Redemption, yet his task seemed impossible. He must convince The Master to ask his forgiveness for killing the first version of Drew in the Valley of the Tree of Life eighty thousand years prior; the action that sparked the Curse on Mankind, stripping them of their Immortality and achieving their potential as Original Men.

Humans were meant to be Stewards of the Earth, yet under the Curse they were Broken, slaves to entertainment, their Minds closed and their attention turned inwards to self-absorption and self-indulgence. They were the Dark One’s playground, and his grip on them was firm and tight. There were some humans strong enough in themselves to resist those traits and slip through The Dark One’s fingers. A small number of them were drawn to the Light of the Hybrid Nephilim and joined their cause.

The two forces, the Light and the Dark, were on a collision course, and the impact would decide everything.

 

 

(** Beginning of Chapter **)

Waffle House, Buford Drive, Buford, GA

The Nexus of Events

 

The scene was surreal. Miss Lula stood at the window watching Drew standing by himself in the parking lot. His red hoodie appeared bright under the dark skies, and he seemed terrified and utterly alone. She was with him nonetheless, keeping her promise, even though he was unaware of her. She wept at the state of his Soul and the tragedy of his life, but he was also a shining star that changed her tears to hope. He was compassionate beyond the span of his six years, his harsh life tempered by the unconditional love of his adoptive father and uncles.

Unconditional love was at the heart of the encounter; it was the reason for existence and if Drew was successful it would be because of the love shown him by his father Henry, his Uncles, his mother Liz, and Aaron and Albrecht. Even the young soldiers in Australia were a part of Drew’s journey, adding their touch to his damaged and tortured Soul. Sally was there, as well and his Grandpa Tag and Auntie Olive.

Each in their own way enveloped him, but Henry and his uncles touched his Soul in ways the others couldn’t. They weren’t the reason for his Compassion, but they nurtured it. As with everyone who encountered Ken and Brad and their Brothers, Drew and Henry grew into their potential; in their case the potential to save Mankind.

While Miss Lula watched Drew, unconscious patrons slumped in their booths or rested their heads on the counter, put to sleep by a Compulsion from Brad that spread over the entire planet while the fate of Man was about to be decided in the parking lot of the small greasy Diner.

Drew stood alone. It was his greatest fear, yet he orchestrated events to be alone in an attempt to save his dad and his beloved uncles. His bravery, driven by love for the men he cared for so much was profound beyond words, yet also simple; it was the pure, unconditional love of a child. Drew lost his mother and vowed in his own way never to lose anyone else in his life. The thought was unbearable, so he orchestrated events to confront his Brother alone.

The Master seemed a giant and Drew froze for a moment even though he thought he was prepared. A smoky black nimbus covered his brother’s face, and he radiated pure Evil. The Amulet Drew wore prevented his brother from attacking his Mind, but he could physically crush Drew with one clawed hand.

The adult-like part of Drew was absent, overrun by the terror of a six-year-old boy. As Drew stood still, petrified with fear, The Master raised one clawed fist, his arm thick with muscle, and swiped it down to rip his brother in half.

Henry appeared out of thin air moving blindingly fast, grabbing his son a fraction of a second before the clawed hand would have eviscerated him. If The Master’s hand connected Man’s fate would have been sealed. Lula breathed a sigh of relief that Drew was still alive. Her ‘nudges,’ what the Team called ‘puppet strings’ were done. They were necessary to bring events to where they were, but now everything must play itself out with no interference. If she interfered at this point, it would take all meaning from the pain and sacrifice everyone endured to bring events to that point. The success of Drew, Henry, and her newest Children must rest on their Free Will, or everything was meaningless. It had to matter.

As Henry appeared, he wrapped his son, not only in his strong arms but in his Soul, comforting and Protecting him.

Lula watched and Listened. She, Frank, and the Birdman heard everything. They were everywhere, in everything. They were the Trinity, three beings yet One, a Paradox. Brad’s Compulsion made Earth quieter, yet while conscious thoughts were silent, she heard the Souls of everyone. Many Dreamed as their unconscious Minds, even Closed, were aware of the tumultuous forces buffeting them.

Even though she heard everything, Miss Lula Listened particularly to what was happening before her.

 

<>

 

Henry appeared, moving as fast as he could. As he materialized, Darren changed his trajectory slightly to better advantage, but not his velocity. Henry’s perception of Time slowed until he was almost frozen, so he could utilize every bit of precision and skill. One with his Brothers, he saw through Pat’s Understanding precisely what he needed to do, and how to prevent any injury to Drew.

Drew didn’t even have time to be surprised. The next thing he knew, he was on the ground, fifty feet away, wrapped in the arms of his dad. The voice he wanted to hear so much, the strong arms he wanted around him more than anything were there, and he felt safe again.

Henry’s warm breath tickled his ear as he whispered, “I’ve got you, Tiger. I’m with you!”

Henry snatched the Amulet hanging around Drew’s neck, snapping the chain and tossing it away. Without the Amulet as a barrier, Henry merged with his son and took them deep in one another. They appeared naked to one another in that special place where their Souls became One.

Henry basked in the presence of his son, as his own presence surrounded Drew. He knew the dangers the doctor spoke of about merging with Drew at such a young age, but he felt he had no choice. He would deal with any consequences once they were finished. The love they had for one another was comforting beyond words. They both cried as Henry held Drew against him in relief, cradling his small body against his big, powerful frame.

Time wasn’t moving as Drew’s arms flew around Henry’s neck, clinging to his dad as tightly as he could. Drew started to cry as all the pent-up emotions of the last weeks came pouring out.

Henry held him, whispering soothing words while stroking his head and back.

“It’s okay, honey. It’s okay. I’ve got you.”

Everything Drew had been through was there, and Henry saw it all. His reasons for running away, and how torn up he was inside over all of it. Every lie to Henry, his uncles, Doctor Aaron, Mr. Albrecht, and Miss Sally ate at him.

Using his powers on people to buy him food and drive him around; the dirtiness he felt inside for acting the way he did was there. Drew was afraid he was now ugly inside like normal humans and that he would hurt his uncles if they looked inside him. Aside from that, his greatest fear was that everyone would be disappointed in him.

Oh God, Drew! I’m not disappointed, honey! None of us are! Never that! You were brave, and everything you did was to protect me and the guys. We love you so much… it hurt when you left, but we understand why.

The pain he caused Henry and his uncles struck Drew, and it nearly made him hysterical. All he could do was cry and beg Henry to forgive him. He prayed to the Birdman over and over that his uncles would forgive him too.

With the Amulet gone, the presence of his Uncles followed as Henry pulled them in with him and his son. Henry wanted Drew to feel their love and know there was nothing to forgive, and he wanted his Brothers to see everything he did.

The familiar voices Drew missed, their strong arms and warm bodies; he felt it all at once as his Uncles wrapped him up in their Hearts and Minds, forming a Wall around his Soul. The relief in them that Drew was okay and with Henry washed over him too.

It took a long time before either Henry or Drew were ready or able to talk. The intensity of their emotions finally ran its course, and after his initial relief of feeling Henry with him, Drew pulled back in a panic.

Daddy, you can’t be here!

I know what the man said, Drew. We figured it out. You didn’t tell me what you weren’t supposed to, so that part doesn’t matter anymore! You did what he told you to! You didn’t break your promise!

Henry spoke the truth, but the Birdman still said Drew might lose Henry if he fought The Master. Now they were together, Henry and the guys heard the exact words in Drew’s memory of his conversation with the stranger Drew called the Birdman.

He said you might lose me, Drew. Not that you will. I’m taking the risk honey, and we’ll be extra careful, but you and I are going to do this together, alright? Don’t fight me on this! I know we can do it. You can do it! I wasn’t supposed to live when I fought the Eschphene Leader, but I did. I lived because I had to. I can’t leave the most wonderful boy in the world, the boy who I love more than anything, alone. I’ll do whatever I have to Drew, to get us both through this alive and safe.

The relief in Drew was overwhelming. Henry’s rock-solid presence washed away his fear. Henry was a Wall and right now that Wall was backed by Ken’s Avatar, synchronized with his Brothers and their ten mighty Souls.

Drew sniffled, and Henry wiped his tears away with his thumbs. They looked at one other intently, and Henry cupped Drew’s face in his big warm hands.

Okay?

Okay, Daddy.

Good boy. Now let’s get this over with.

Henry hugged Drew against him one more time and kissed the top of his head.

You’re such a good boy Drew. I know I said it before, but I don’t know what I did to deserve you. I understand why you ran away, honey, and I’m not mad. I’ve never been so scared, knowing you were all by yourself. You should know by now you’re never by yourself. You will always have me with you. Don’t run away from me again, and together we can do anything. Do you understand?

Drew smiled, and this time he cried happy tears. The sincerity and depth of Henry’s love were tangible to him. They were One and Drew breathed in Henry’s confidence.

Ken and each of the men had their own words for Drew, telling him how much they loved him and how confident they were in him. Each one held him and hugged him as long as he needed them to. The adult-like part of Drew returned, and he realized how foolish he had been to pull away.

How could he have run from them? From the love they had for him? He should have trusted them from the beginning.

Drew didn’t know how everything was going to work, but whatever happened he would face it with Henry, together.

 

<>

 

Time stopped momentarily while Miss Lula turned to put on a fresh pot of coffee and called out a new order.

“Drop one hash brown! Scattered well, smothered, covered, capped, and diced! Drop one bacon, medium! Raisin Toast! Three egg omelet, old-fashioned, with cheese and mushrooms!”

As Miss Lula called her order, Frank collected the items from the refrigerator beside the grille to start the order. A loud sizzle followed, and a mouthwatering aroma filled the diner as he dropped the hash browns and bacon on the hot greasy surface.

A man appeared in one of the booths by the front window so he could also watch. He saw the same things in Drew as Lula. He was Drew’s Birdman, who met Henry and Drew both, and spoke to Drew on occasion. He was the Dove.

He smiled, saying, “Thank you,” nodding his acknowledgment to Miss Lula, knowing Frank would cook his order to perfection. The corners of his Ageless eyes crinkled on his careworn face. His eyes had stars in them, just like Miss Lula’s and Frank’s. Their eyes held all of Creation, and they watched together, and Listened, three as One, a Paradox, as the fate of Mankind, their Second Children, played out before them.

The jukebox, silent until that moment, lit up. The song that played should have been impossible. Lane never published or recorded any of his music, yet his voice filled the diner as the start of his hauntingly beautiful melody, The Humbling River, came over the speakers.

If Drew was successful, and Ken and his Uncles defeated The Master, they would face the decision to guide Man across the River, or not. The decision would be theirs with no interference or influence by God. However, they needed to win the first of their Battles before that possibility was even on the table, and in order for them to win, Drew and Henry had to be successful in their part and remove the Curse on The Master.

Creation paused with the First of all Realities, while God cooked, served, and ate his own breakfast at a greasy short-order diner in Buford, GA. As always, Frank’s hash browns were perfect. No wonder Ken loved them so much.

 

Raphael’s Pocket Dimension

 

The Archangels gathered to witness unfolding events. This was the time of their grandchildren, the first Battle they were born to fight. The Archangels witnessed the glory and beauty of the men they called their grandchildren, both their physical forms and their Hearts and Souls, and were proud.

The tension in them was high, though, not from lack of confidence, but because they knew the depth of the Curse and what their grandchildren faced. Their only Hope rested the Paradox of their Nephilim offspring and their Free and Unfettered existence. The Ten men, joined as One, more than the sum of their individual selves, formed the only possible defense against the might of the Curse. By the nature of the Curse, they could not defeat it; their goal was to fight it long enough for Drew Ross and his father Henry to be successful in their task of breaking the Curse over The Master.

The Archangels were aware of the changes in themselves; the ripples of their grandchildren’s existence were much farther-reaching than they ever planned or expected. They had their own conflicts and run-ins with their Nephilim offspring, yet they truly loved them and were afraid for them.

The Archangels stood in full battle regalia, knowing that regardless of their grandchildren’s success or failure, Luke, The Dark One, would be free of his Oath the second there was any sort of resolution, good or bad.

The ten Archangels – Michael, Uriel, Gabriel, Raphael, Barachiel, Remiel, Jegudiel, Saraqael, Raguel, and Selaphiel – held hands. They seldom prayed. They seldom needed to pray, but the fate of so much rested on the shoulders of their grandchildren, and if successful, an even bigger task ahead.

The Dove, Miss Lula, and Frank smiled when they heard the prayers of their First Children. Even they were changed by the ripples of Ken and Brad and the rest of their Third Children, and it was good.

 

The Master’s Psyche

 

Henry felt different; there was a transition when The Master’s hand touched the Stone. He felt the rough, ruddy skin of The Master’s clawed fist as it clamped down, trying to crush the Stone along with Henry and Drew’s hands. According to their plan, the Sigils etched into the Stone by Németh ignited with the red-orange glow of Eschphene Magic as soon as The Master touched it, and Henry and Drew were physically transported into The Master’s Mind.

Drew was still tight in his arms, but something felt… odd. They were in the parking lot of the Waffle House, but at the same time he knew they weren’t.

His eyes bright with emotion, Henry pulled Drew back so he could look at his son and asked intently, “Drew, are you okay!?”

He cupped Drew’s face in his warm hand, wanting to touch him and know he was alright.

It was eerily silent, and everything seemed muted, like when he was under the Magical Dome during his duel with the Eschphene leader. Drew threw himself forward, putting his arms around Henry’s neck, nodding his affirmation of Henry’s question.

Drew’s voice sounded muffled against Henry’s thick neck as he sniffled, and Henry felt the remnant of his son’s tears on his skin.

“Yes, Daddy. I’m okay.”

Drew’s warm breath on his neck and the soft skin of his cheek caused Henry to choke up. The last weeks of Drew being gone, and the helplessness and anxiety that followed, the fear for his son… it was all still there. Holding Drew in his arms was a relief, but they were in more danger than ever.

Henry merged with Drew before they transitioned to wherever it was they were and worked through the worst of their emotions. The intense feelings from that connection still ran through father and son, but they were together and would face everything as such.

The Master screamed his outrage at their disappearance, but the sound was heavily modulated and garbled as though heard from a distance, or through some sort of filter.

Drew looked up. The Master still faced them, towering menacingly, and began tearing up chunks of concrete in his frustration. He seemed to move in slow motion. Oddly, for the first time ever, they saw his face through the smoky Black nimbus covering it. They were in his Mind and saw him as he saw himself, ugly and misshapen.

Henry was surprised as a wave of Power came off Drew.

You don’t see us. We aren’t here.

Henry remembered Drew saying he could hide from The Master. He had no idea how Drew knew how to do that. Henry was sure The Master wasn’t aware of them at the moment but Drew masking their presence surely couldn’t hurt.

The Master, enraged at their disappearance, turned and ripped off his amulet, throwing it away as he bellowed his challenge. As soon as it was far enough away, eight bolts of lightning struck around him in the parking lot, and Ken and the Team, minus Bryan and Lane, appeared. Cavall stood with them, at Loy’s side.

Intent on watching his Brothers, Henry started as the Wolf-Spirit appeared in front of him. Relief immediately followed his initial surprise; her presence was comforting, and their chances of success were much better with her by their side. Loy’s wisdom in calling the Ancient Spirit and binding her to Protect Drew proved more far-reaching than any of them could have imagined. Drew seemed to take her being with them for granted.

As Ken and the guys appeared, Henry saw them as the shining beacons of Light and Power they were. He had come to love his Brothers so much; he owed them his life. They always spoke of ‘never keeping score,’ but after everything they did for him, and continued to do, he owed it to them to succeed. He wouldn’t allow himself to fail them, any more than he would allow himself to fail Drew. He would be a Wall for them too.

His voice quiet but intense, he said, “Hang tight guys. We’re on this.”

Drew lifted his face from Henry’s neck, watching his uncles. He knew they couldn’t beat his brother until he and his dad were successful and he was scared for them.

Then he looked at Henry. His handsome, wonderful dad who made him feel safe and loved. Drew smelled Henry’s aftershave and sweat, the distinct smell of Henry, his father. He put a hand on Henry’s cheek so he could feel the rough stubble and his father’s warm strength. The intensity of Henry’s love touched Drew’s Soul, but he needed to feel it physically as well.

Henry smiled as they made eye contact and asked, “Are you ready to do this kiddo? Together?”

Drew smiled back, nodding his assent. Henry rubbed their noses together and got the giggle he wanted to lighten the mood.

Drew turned, looking at Ken and the Team, and said, “I love you, Uncles. We’ll hurry!”

As The Master turned to face his Brothers, the Wolf-Spirit pulled them away.

 

<>

 

Henry felt another transition, and suddenly they were in a house. It felt cold. The Wolf-Spirit sat looking at them with her unnatural intelligence. In that place she was corporeal, and it seemed odd because he was so used to seeing her translucent.

Henry looked around and whispered more to himself than her, asking, “Where are we?”

Inside The Master’s Mind; in his Psyche. This is where your journey begins. You and the cub are present. That should not be possible.

Henry remembered the Wolf-Spirit speaking to him in his Dreams and based on where they were, he wasn’t surprised to hear her voice. He was thankful she could talk; it would make things easier.

Drew loosened his arms around Henry’s neck and slid down to stand on his own, but he kept a hand firmly in one of Henry’s. He rested his other hand on the Wolf-Spirit, wanting to feel her too.

Recognition hit Henry as he glanced around, and he knew where they were. It was the main house The Master lived in when he stayed in Atlanta. Henry had been there numerous times in the three years of his coerced servitude. He knew The Master’s Throne Room was just down the hall. Memories of blood rituals Henry was forced to partake in were still in the back of his Mind. The place was evil, just as The Master was.

Henry asked the Wolf-Spirit, “Do you know where we need to go?”

Surprisingly it was Drew who answered.

“We need to find him. The first him, like my first. The one who killed me.”

Henry couldn’t help the “fuck me!” that slipped out. It pulled at his heart how casually Drew spoke of his first death. It compounded Henry’s need to protect his son from any more pain if he possibly could.

Drew giggled at Henry’s F-Bomb, and Henry winced, saying, “Sorry, Tiger.”

Henry looked at the She-Wolf.

“Can you help us find him?”

It will be a long journey and not easy. His Mind has traps, and he will fight us once he realizes we are here.

Henry was oddly calm. He was there for one purpose, to Protect Drew and help him complete his goal. The Wall inside him was firm. His own trials and tribulations honed him, and his suffering made him stronger in unimaginable ways, preparing him for what was about to happen. He was touched by God, and his Wisdom as well as his Heart, had grown because of it.

Henry was unique among men, starting out as a physically enhanced Protector, but now an Original Man with his Mind and Heart Awake. He was not part Nephilim like his Brothers, but he was Powerful in his own right and had grown into himself through their influence and his own experiences. Living in their Souls affected him just as it affected the Archangels and helped him come into his full potential.

Drew felt oddly calm as well. His dad and the Wolf-Spirit were with him. He wasn’t alone as he feared he would be, and he no longer believed Henry had to die.

Drew still realized the price he would most likely pay for success, and he didn’t want to let his dad or the Wolf-Spirit know that. He kept that thought boxed away in the secret place in his Mind, and it was the only secret he withheld from Henry and his uncles when they merged. He could face whatever would come if they were with him. As long as he saved the people he loved, any cost to himself would be worth it. He learned of sacrifice through his uncles and father, and especially his mother Liz, and about doing the right thing no matter the personal cost.

When Drew merged with Darren in Thomin’s Vault, he saw everything about Darren and his uncles and how they lived in one another. Their experiences were laid bare to Drew, and he saw their SEAL training and watched them running missions together in Desert Storm. He experienced the bonds between them and knew they cared as much for him and Henry as they did each other.

He saw the times when some of his uncles nearly died in the fight against his brother, and the fortitude that kept them from giving up. He saw their trust for each other and their love, and he was part of it. He could do no less for them than what they had been doing for him all along.

As we go deeper, the danger will increase. Be on guard.

Henry: We need to hurry. The guys can’t hold out forever.

Time is not the same here as in the Physical Realm. As we go deeper in The Master’s Mind, the difference will be more extreme. There will be time.

The house was a maze and their first obstacle. They would have to find their way out, and then move deeper through The Master’s Mind into his past through eighty thousand years of memories until they found the version of him Drew needed to confront.

Henry squeezed Drew’s hand in encouragement, and they started their task together, father and son, following their Companion.

 

The Physical Realm – Waffle House Parking Lot

 

Light erupted as eight thick bolts of lightning struck the ground around The Master as Ken, Brad, Pat, Darren, Rick, Loy, Kevin, and Bill appeared. Cavall was with them at Loy’s side, adding his feral strength to theirs.

The Battle was happening on both sides of the Veil, and The Master saw them as the shining towers of strength and Light they were. Their angelic Heritage as Nephilim made them inhumanly handsome and charismatic. Their powerful bodies fit their uniforms perfectly as if molded to their physiques. They looked hyper-masculine and every inch the weapons and soldiers they forged themselves to be; they were the Defense against The Enemy who wanted to subjugate Mankind. They were Purity and Light against his Corruption.

The Master screamed at them, “WHERE IS MY BROTHER? I WILL DESTROY HIM AND ALL OF YOU!”

Ken braced himself, backed by seven of his Brothers present and Lane and Bryan from across the world as The Master turned to face them.

Even without Pat’s Understanding, Ken could tell from The Master’s body language how pissed off he was, and the corner of Ken’s mouth smirked slightly.

Well, this is a good start. He’s gonna make it easy on us. Let’s keep him pissed off and not thinkin’ clear, ladies. Keep him off guard. You know the drill.

As Ken’s thoughts were heard by his Brothers, The Master’s physical form grew, filling with the Power of the Curse Unveiled. The smoky black nimbus always covering his face thickened and spread, enveloping his grotesquely primitive, muscled body; the strength of his Aura was evident as they watched him grow even stronger.

Alright, guys. We have ‘ta buy Drew and Henry whatever time they need. Lane and Bry, stay strong, we’re with you too. All you fuckers are the best. You know that, and you know what we’re here for.

Ken’s voice spoke in their Minds and Hearts, but more importantly, his Will and Conviction backed them up. He believed in them with everything in his Heart. They were One, and their bonds unbreakable. In their Hearts and Souls, Ken’s arms were around the shoulders of each and every one of them, pushing them to be their best and boosting their confidence. He was their Leader, their Captain, and even aside from his Avatar, he had a way about him that brought out the best in each of them.

They understood the secret of their Avatars, the runic symbols that represented their abilities from the Language of Creation. They would become equal to the task but would have to dig deep within themselves to push beyond equal to win. However, the Paradox of the fight was they knew it was impossible to defeat The Master until he asked Drew’s forgiveness for killing him eighty thousand years ago. As powerful as they could become, by the nature of the Curse, they couldn’t be enough until it was broken.

Because they were One, each of them saw Drew’s plan when they merged with Henry and Drew in the seconds before they entered the Psyche of The Master. Not his secret, but his plan to find the first version of The Master in his memories. The Master was still unaware of his own danger and possible defeat, and they wanted to keep it that way as long as possible.

In recent years after discovering their Nephilim Heritage, as a Team they accomplished near impossible tasks; resetting the Demon Azaziel, freeing Allenor, the last survivor from God’s previous Creation, temporarily trapping Luke, The Dark One, and fighting the Eschphene on three separate occasions. However, they hadn’t yet pitted themselves against anything so strong as The Master with the full Power of the Curse Unveiled.

Their Avatars shone brighter as the Power needed to fight their opponent filled them; they became the vessels necessary to contain what they needed to be, not only physically but Spiritually and emotionally.

The shimmering translucent form of Yggdrasil appeared over and around them, its canopy high in the sky amidst the lightning. Animal Spirits swam in the air, called by Loy, their Steward. Brad fluttered their Souls across the Veil, empowering the dual nature of their Physical and Spiritual existence as Nephilim and Original Men. They Listened to the Songs of their partners’ Souls, even as Lane did in the Valley with Bryan. All the sources of their Power filled them, and just as importantly they filled each other; the unconditional Love they had for each other tied them together in ways normal humans couldn’t comprehend.

Their ties ran back decades, from their time together as SEALS, through war in the Physical Realm up to the present, where they were enmeshed in the Battle with The Enemy over the fate of Mankind. They were Brothers in every way imaginable, living in one another, and the threads of their Souls woven so tightly together they were unbreakable. Lane learned through Taliesin that individual strands could be broken, but when braided together into a rope they could become nearly indestructible, and the threads of their Souls woven so tightly were what made them so powerful.

Never had they felt the blending of their Avatars so fully and completely as in that moment, the Province of each of man fully apparent and magnified by the presence of each other. The full Paradox of their existence was evident, ten men, five couples, yet One; more than the sum of their individual selves, stronger together by far. In the presence of the Curse, the intangible ‘something extra’ the doctor spoke of was more evident than ever before.

Even though Bryan and Lane were across the planet in The Valley, they were present in their Brothers, and their Brothers present in them. Ken’s Will filled them, honing them into the Warriors they were; Brad’s Intellect combined all their tactical expertise, Lane’s Creativity added to their ability to interpret everything they saw, Pat’s Understanding, Darren’s connection to the Physical Realm, Bill’s Knowledge… each man added something special and unique as all their training and focus came to bear. They were the Warriors of the New Order facing the first Purpose of their existence, fighting The Master, the earthly servant of The Dark One, over the fate of humankind.

They glowed so brightly they were blinding to look at in the Spiritual Realm. Their White Light opposed the Curse, and thunder and lightning ripped through the Heavens from the clash of Powers. The cold icy chill of The Master’s Aura bit at their Shields, but he felt the White-Hot Light of their own in turn.

Ken’s voice echoed with Power as he said, “Alright, you fucker. You aren’t destroyin’ anyone. Prepare to get your ass kicked!”

In reply to Ken’s statement, The Master threw his arms back, bellowing his response and belching forth a vortex of Black Power from his mouth.

Hold it together, guys! We’re not givin’ an inch!

The Black Power hit their Shields, and they felt the impact down to their Souls, but they were enough. Barely.

 

The Valley of Yggdrasil

 

Bryan’s Body felt like granite under his Kevlar assault suit. Lane gripped his husband tightly from behind, his arms crisscrossed over Bryan’s thick torso as he brought all his Power to bear, aiding Bryan in his Defense of the Tree and the Valley.

Often, in times of conflict or significant events between the Light and the Dark, severe weather reflected the confrontation, and Lane had never seen the skies so volatile. As Elemental creatures, nature echoed their emotions, and Lane exerted his Will to calm the wind and rain directly around them. Lightning continued ripping through the skies as the immense Black Vortex, the physical manifestation of The Enemy’s Power, struck the canopy of the Tree.

Bryan, at the Heart of his Power, let the Life Energy of the Tree fill him. It was a tide he normally had to hold back when physically present, but now he needed all of it if he wished to have any chance of holding the Darkness at bay. Just as the time of his Second Awakening, his awareness of Life expanded, filling him with Power, from the grubs in the soil underneath his feet to every plant, animal, and being throughout Creation; the Roots of Yggdrasil touched all Life in all Realities.

The pain that came with that Power from gaps in the Pattern where species of plants or animals were now extinct or missing was buffered by the bonds of his Brothers and the unconditional love they had for one another. The knowledge that once they won their fight, as One, they could replace those gaps and make the Pattern whole again was a comfort. As Loy did once before, Lane called on specific Animal Spirits from extinct species to soften Bryan’s pain.

Lane’s strong arms surrounded him, along with his Heart and Soul. His husband, the grandson of Gabriel the Archangel, Herald of God, was Powerful and added his own strength and might to Bryan’s. As Powerful as they were together, even at the Heart of Bryan’s Power, they were barely enough.

At the time of their First Awakening, when The Master called his Dark servants in his first attempt to destroy them, Istariel Summoned the Four Corners - the Archangels Michael, Uriel, Gabriel, and Raphael - to defend them. This time the Four Corners were unavailable. Lane and Bryan and their Brothers had come into their Nephilim Inheritance, and Bryan’s Province was Protector of the Tree and the Dragon, hidden and asleep beneath it. With the Dark One bound and unable to interfere, the Four Corners could not be Summoned, so Bryan and Lane Protected the Valley while their Brothers faced The Master.

As the Black cloud writhed and seethed, tendrils split from the central funnel, striking the Shield Bryan maintained. Both men felt the blows on multiple levels; with each impact, the Blackness burned their Minds as well as their Hearts and Souls. The emerald Shield over the canopy flared with each blow, but it held, fortified by their Will and Power.

Lane, who’s Province fell in the Music of Creation, Listened. He was in his husband and heard the crystalline Song of Bryan’s Soul. It was the most potent Source available to him, but he didn’t draw from it as Bryan did the Tree. Rather, Lane Listened and let the Music flow through and become part of him. He wove the two halves of Bryan’s Soul together from the half that resided in each of them, and the Music made him powerful like nothing else could. It also gave him an extreme sense of comfort amidst the pain and effort he put forth.

Lane poured himself into Bryan, squeezing in a physical expression of affection at the same time as his Soul wrapped around his husband. Their eyes were White and reflected the lightning in the sky. The wind blew the hair off the foreheads of their handsome faces. Each felt the rough cheek of the other as Lane buried his face against Bryan's neck, bringing every bit of strength he could muster and adding it to Bryan’s. Their Hearts, Souls, and Minds were bound together as tightly as their bodies, but the physical sensation of holding one another brought additional strength and comfort.

In their Minds, they whispered encouragement and support to each other, their eyes shedding fresh tears from the intimacy between them. The exquisite and powerful sting of being so fully immersed in each other and knowing that no matter what, they had each other and their Brothers despite their faults always brought tears to their eyes.

With Bryan’s Understanding, he saw how powerful the black cloud was. He and Lane could hold it at bay for a time if they put all their strength to the defense of the Tree; however, they would need to dig deep inside themselves to have any chance of mounting an offense to drive The Enemy back.

The tendrils were relentless, and the ground shook from the force of their blows. In the darkened skies, through the rain and wind, the two men looked up to see dozens of black shapes break off from the Blackness, cloven-hooved, with leathery wings keeping them aloft. They were Demons of the Pale, under servitude to The Master.

Bryan: Fuck!

The Demons descended, and even over the din of the wind and lightning, Bryan heard and felt the vibrations at the impact of their landing. They scattered themselves around the Valley and began destroying anything they came in contact with. As much as he hated doing it Lane’s Avatar flared, and he called the animals of the Valley to defend it. He knew the animals couldn’t stop the Demons but hoped they could slow them down. The Valley had not been so desecrated since The Master killed his brother the first time, eighty thousand years earlier.

The anger of that thought ran deep in the two men, especially Bryan, and they channeled their anger, letting it fuel their defense.

 

<><>

 

Deep below the Tree, the only sounds in the immense cavern were the occasional bubbles of lava bursting if one managed to reach the surface through the thick, viscous substance. Random fires burned when gases released from the bubbles ignited; their light, coupled with the soft glow of the lava, illuminated the large cavern.

Leroy slept fitfully, sensitive to the forces of the Battle taking place in the Valley above him. His Protector, Bryan, the man who loved him like no one ever had, was in danger. The ring on Bryan’s finger, a Christmas gift from Lane the year before, was charged with Dragon Fire from Leroy and the dragon fire agates Albrecht placed on the ring resonated magic connecting the Man and Beast.

Unlike the Leroy of the alternate reality Brad and Lane had traveled to, the Leroy of the first Reality had never woken up. Occasionally the Dark One, his Sire, would visit him and cause no end of torment in his sleeping Mind. The Rage within Leroy always burned stronger when The Dark One was near. Bryan soothed Leroy by his very presence and helped drive the Rage away, or at the least hold it at bay.

Leroy’s unconscious Mind sensed Bryan nearby, and the tumultuous emotions coursing through his Protector. Bryan’s deep-seated fear for Drew and Henry and what they faced for his Brothers in Atlanta as they fought The Master, touched the great beast. Leroy also felt the unwavering strength of character and Love Bryan had for everyone in his life, and his anger over the danger they were in that drove him to be the man he was. On top of all that, Leroy felt the cold presence of the Darkness against his Fire.

Leroy knew nothing of events in the world, only the emotions in Bryan, complicated yet simple, and the Dark Power on the fringes of his awareness. Bryan was a man of loyalty and the gentlest of all his Brothers. The Dragon was far more intelligent than any of them realized, and many of Bryan’s qualities bled into the magnificent creature through his connection to Leroy. He had never been awake, but he was created for a Purpose and born with traits necessary to complete it. No one knew the full reason for Leroy’s existence except God, who commanded Luke to sire him. Even Luke was unaware of Leroy’s secrets and how much he had been affected by the ripples of the hybrid Nephilim.

Leroy sensed Bryan’s need. It called to him in a way Bryan never would. Bryan would never wake the great Beast intentionally so Leroy would wake himself. Exposure to Bryan and Lane and the rest of Bryan’s Brothers changed him. Just as the existence of the Hybrid Nephilim changed the Archangels in ways they never expected, the ripples of their existence touched all Creation. They were Random and Unfettered, perhaps even Chaotic in that they didn’t realize, and were unaware of, how their presence changed those around them, especially those they cared about. That effect, while subtle, was perhaps the most potent aspect of their existence.

Deep in the cavern of his birth where he slept since the Earth was formed, Leroy’s eyes opened, and the Light of his Golden Orbs lit the cavern.

 

The Physical Realm – Waffle House Parking Lot

 

The eight soldiers, Warriors of The New Order, surrounded The Master. The reach of his arms was long, and he swung inhumanly fast, trying to claw them and rend their flesh. The agility and dexterity of their muscular forms were glorious as they fluidly and gracefully avoided his attempts to kill them. Each man brought every aspect of his training to bear, moving as One and executing every maneuver flawlessly.

They landed strikes of their own while The Master never touched them. Their blows were ultimately ineffectual; even if they broke a bone the Curse healed him, restoring him to his original state. They felt the impact on their bodies as they landed blow after blow, but a constant flow of Healing arced from the Mentalists, keeping them in top form.

Just as in their training, they used each other as weapons, and shielded each other when necessary. Their training and conditioning were manifest, their bodies grace in motion. The pressure of The Master’s Dark Shield was relentless and wore on them, but their Light never wavered as they confronted his Evil head-on. Holding the image of Drew and Henry foremost in their Minds and Hearts gave them the impetus to persevere and not waver in their resolve.

Other than taunting The Master, their usual banter was absent. Occasional comments were made, but they conserved their strength and kept their focus and concentration on task. The fate of the world and two of their own was at stake. Even with their voices silent their Wills backed each other, and emotions were evident between them.

Their goal wasn’t to maim or hurt yet, it was to occupy and delay. Each man conserved his strength, making their attacks precise and efficient. Their efforts were convincing, taking any opportunity that presented itself to strike so The Master would not become suspicious. The Master had more skill than they expected, but by goading him and continuously stoking his anger he became increasingly erratic, vacillating between natural savagery and a combination of various fighting styles.

The men, however, were masters of The Quintessential Dance, taught to them by the Archangel Michael, Ken’s angelic grandfather. The fighting techniques they employed, coupled with Albrecht’s training, made them far superior to The Master in hand-to-hand combat.

The fight wore on; first seconds, then minutes, frustrating The Master. Rage took hold in him as they planned. No one had ever withstood his Power for so long! He hurled chunks of concrete at them followed by Black Talons, relentless in his attacks; yet they withstood him.

Darren deflected the concrete, or if it was in small enough pieces, he changed their path sending them back at The Master. He teleported fragments high above, using Pat’s Understanding to see the trajectory back towards The Master, pelting him from above. They hurt him repeatedly, but the Curse restored him as quickly as any damage was done.

They used every shred of knowledge and experience the doctor shared with them on how to use their Powers to full effect with minimal effort. They deflected attacks, rather than blocking them, Understanding exactly how much force was needed and at what angle, whether it was physical or magical. Pat’s Avatar allowed them to see the Laws of Physics and the relationships between everything. They faced The Master’s brutal, savage strength with staunch precision and training; they met his Darkness with their Light. On every level they equaled him, but could not overcome him.

Their forms were grace in motion as Heaven and the High Hosts witnessed their bravery and glory. Their handsome faces shone with the Brightness of their Souls; serene and confident, they were what they needed to be for Drew.

They sweated and breathed heavily, but did not tire, drawing oxygen through their Core energy center to fuel their bodies. The grueling training Ken put them through over the years paid off. The Mentalists kept up the Psychic and Spiritual pressure as they assisted the Bodies, maintaining their Shields and attacking The Master on all fronts, not giving him any reprieve.

They played the game of cat and mouse, not knowing how long it would take Drew and Henry to accomplish their goal. It didn’t matter; they would be what they needed to be for as long as necessary, confident in their training and Powers.

 

The Master’s Psyche

 

Holding Drew’s Hand, Henry followed the Wolf-Spirit. He knew getting out of the house wasn’t going to be as simple as walking out the back door. She led them inwards and down to the places where the Darkest Magics and evil rituals were performed. They resided in The Master’s recent memory and witnessed what was foremost in his conscious and unconscious Mind.

Henry worried about Drew seeing something that might freak him out, but remembered the atrocities his son had been subjected too, not only in his own life but across the ages. Many of the incarnations within him were insane from abuse they suffered while alive, and Drew remembered much of his past lives after interacting with the Stone. Regardless of what his son had seen, Henry didn’t want to subject him to any of what they were most likely going to see.

The unfairness of it all broke Henry’s heart, and he tried to be a buffer against the hurt in his son. They were Linked enough for Drew to feel Henry’s surge of protectiveness, and Drew, in the adult-like manner he sometimes exhibited, squeezed Henry’s hand and whispered, “It’s okay, Daddy.”

Henry’s breath caught at Drew’s words, and his eyes watered.

No, it’s not alright!

It wouldn’t be alright until everything was behind them and Drew could live a normal life! The life every six-year-old boy should live! Henry quelled his anger, instead choosing to remember how grateful he was to have such a wonderful little boy in his life who loved him. He had no idea how Drew overcame everything to be who and what he was, and Henry didn’t realize how much he was responsible for much of it; easily as much, if not more, than Ken and Brad and his Brothers.

Not wanting to get too serious Henry smiled, and with a wink ruffled Drew’s hair. His action got him the grin he wanted, and they continued to move slowly and cautiously, not knowing what to expect. The Mind of a being as old and Powerful as The Master was a dangerous place, and his unconscious Mind would react if they weren’t careful. The Wolf-Spirit said there would be traps and triggers placed as protection against psychic attacks. They bypassed most of those by already being in his psyche, but there were sure to be some.

Henry stopped when a deep guttural growl came from the Wolf-Spirit. The temperature dropped to icy cold in a matter of seconds, and her breath steamed when it came out of her muzzle. Her eyes glowed in the dim light of the hallway as her hackles rose.

The entrance to Master’s Throne Room stood just ahead, and they were wary. The Wolf-Spirit led them, and Henry brought up the rear, keeping Drew between them.

Drew remained calm in the wake of Henry’s fearless determination and unshakable presence, as they made their way to the open doorway. The acrid stench of blood hit them as they approached the threshold of the room.

Drew, if anything happens, stay close to me, honey. Don’t run unless I tell you to.

After a short pause, Henry reasserted: I’m right here, Tiger.

Henry’s fatherly instincts told him what Drew needed to hear. They were deeply Linked but not merged, and Henry increased his presence around Drew.

Cautiously, they entered the room. It was dark, the smell overpowering, and they knew immediately they weren’t alone.

Shades of Souls The Master consumed, many his own servants, were trapped in the room of their demise. For decades in that house, The Master killed countless adults and children, even animals, devouring their Souls and Spirits to fuel his Dark Magic.

The entities that remained were like the incarnations in Drew, real but not real. They were trapped in the place where they died as part of The Master’s memories and sensed the warmth and Life in Henry and Drew. They yearned for that warmth, instinctively wanting it as though it could ease the pain of their horrific existence. They were insane, driven to such a state by constant torture in The Master’s Mind. Their cold, frozen Souls hungered for the Light and warmth of Henry and Drew and swarmed toward them like moths to a flame as soon as they crossed the threshold.

Instinctively, Henry slowed his perception of time, taking Drew with him. Surprisingly the Wolf-Spirit stayed with them. Henry wasn’t sure how she did it but was surprised and pleased she was able to do so.

Drew’s initial terror ran through the Link as the Shades rushed towards them. He didn’t like scary movies, and the place they were in was far worse than any movie Hollywood could ever think of producing. The sight of the Shades was horrible enough with their outward forms exhibiting the torture of their Souls, but Drew and Henry sensed the hunger in them, and their desperate yearning to feel alive again even for the briefest of moments.

Don’t be afraid, Drew! We won’t let them get you! Be brave, honey!

In that place, the shades had physical form. They were strong, many of them Protectors and ‘suits’ whom The Master had killed, but his victims knew no bounds and Henry was sure some of them were from The Order. He recognized several faces from his time of forced servitude. Angelo, the ‘suit’ who kept Henry’s Mind imprisoned was among them.

Henry’s Shields strengthened, flaring brightly, and Drew added his own Power to his dad’s. The Wolf-Spirit Howled, causing the Shades pain and slowing their advance.

Henry moved forward, inhumanly fast, keeping himself between the Shades and his son, and as he promised none of them came close to Drew. Henry used every bit of his skill and training, and he was a whirlwind. Henry’s Power wasn’t only Physical; his Spirit shone bright, and with Drew’s support their combined might decimated the creatures. The Shades they didn’t engage, the Wolf-Spirit savagely ripped and tore apart. Seeing her ferocity, Henry was grateful the shades didn’t bleed.

The white lock in Henry’s hair practically glowed in the dark room. Henry grunted, much like Bryan, when shades he and the Wolf-Spirit ripped apart begin to reform.

Well, that sucks.

Free them with your Light. It is stronger in you than ever before. You and the cub together can free them from the torment of this place. It will alert The Master of our presence, but there is no other way forward.

When Brad and his Brothers Opened Henry’s Mind and Heart making him an Original Man, he remembered Albrecht telling him his Heart would be the weakest of his three Sources. Since that time, through his sacrifices for Drew, even dying and meeting God face to face, Henry’s Heart grew in unimaginable ways. It had to expand to encompass the Love he held for Drew and his Brothers and the thousands of incarnations residing in his son. Ken and Brad and his Brothers filled him with their Light over and over, holding him up and supporting him, and his Heart, like a sponge, absorbed it all.

Similar to how their capacities stretched, Henry’s did as well. Through his exposure to them and his own experiences, his Heart had grown. He grinned, knowing Lane would have a smartass comment to make, and he clearly heard Lane’s voice in his Mind.

And what happened, then? Well, in Whoville they say, Henry’s small heart grew three sizes that day. And then, the true meaning of Christmas came through, and Henry found the strength of ten Henry’s, plus two!

His eyes watered at the thought of Lane and the guys, of how much they meant to him and Drew and what they sacrificed and continued to do, even at the moment they were in, to make everything possible. Perhaps his Mind and Heart used Lane’s voice to send him the epiphany, but Henry truly was much more powerful than when they first Opened his Mind and Heart.

When Taliesin sacrificed himself to save Drew, Henry had the strength to hold his Brothers up when they needed him, and in reflection he realized how much he had grown into himself. He wasn’t a Nephilim, but he was a father and an Original Man, fighting to Protect and save his son. He realized in his training emotional strength was just as important as physical in the Battle over humankind. He also recognized the truth behind what Albrecht, Aaron, and the guys taught him; Unconditional Love was the Heart and Strength of their Power.

Drew, merge with me, Tiger. Let’s show these guys what we can do.

Henry didn’t have to pull Drew in. Drew practically threw himself into his dad. He wanted to be in Henry’s Heart. where he was loved. Drew was the second oldest human Soul in existence and Powerful in his own right. He trained with Aaron Thomas and Albrecht, and Brad and Ken and his uncles. The constant love and support they showed him made him even stronger, fueling his Compassion and healing his Soul to the point where he was able to understand his brother’s plight and forgive him for killing him that first time all those years ago.

Drew dove into Henry and their Centering Flames merged. Together, as father and son, they became One and the Light of their Souls reflected the Love they had for each other. Both of them were broken before they met the guys, but now they were whole and knew what it was like to both love and be loved unconditionally.

Henry sank into the feeling, breathing it in and letting it fill him up, and their merged Souls shone like a star inside The Master’s Dark Mind. The white lock of hair on his head shone as the Shades burned up from the combined might of their Shields. Suddenly the room was warm, and the Shades gone. Never in eighty thousand years had a Light so bright shone inside The Master’s Mind. Never, in eighty thousand years had The Master felt so much pain as his brother’s Soul, combined with Henry’s, burned into him from inside his own Mind.

Henry grinned again, knowing Lane would find some way to make a Tolkien reference out of what he and Drew just accomplished.

I swear if we make it out of here alive, I’m going to read the books just so I can understand Lane’s references.

 

The Physical Realm – Waffle House Parking Lot

 

In the midst of the fight, The Master unexpectedly stumbled, clutching his head and screaming in pain, and for a brief moment the black nimbus faded. They saw his eyes, the same color as Drew’s, and his ruddy skin, his pronounced forehead, high cheekbones, and his crooked sharp yellow teeth.

His eyes expressed shock, and then immediately narrowed in understanding, as he realized where Drew and Henry were!

“HOW!?”

The Master shook his head, and the smoky nimbus returned over his face.

Ken exclaimed, “Fuck! Now I know why you keep that ugly mug of yours covered up!”

The Master spoke, but his words were directed at Henry and Drew, “I don’t know how you can be in my Mind, but now I know you are there, I will destroy you!”

Ken smirked, wanting to keep The Master focused on them.

“I told ya you aren’t destroyin’ anybody! You keep sayin’ it, and it keeps not happenin’! You’re just a big, ugly, red pussy! Hey, while you’re busy not destroyin’ anybody, can you do anythin’ about the smell?”

What Németh accomplished had never been done before. Henry and Drew being physically present The Master’s psyche was uncharted territory. If The Master slowed his perception of Time he could focus on Drew and Henry, and Ken knew they couldn’t let that happen.

B! Guys!

On it, Ken!

The fight up to that point had taken place in the Physical Realm, but Brad and the Mentalists, backed by their Brothers, took the fight to The Master in the Spiritual and Mental Realms. They had to keep him occupied and distracted so he couldn’t focus on Drew and Henry.

They had never fought from the place where their Souls were One. It was always a place of peace and refuge for them; a sanctuary. It was another Paradox of their Nephilim heritage; they were so Deep inside one another Time stopped, yet they attacked The Master.

Thick White ropes of Power arced out of Brad and the other Mentalists striking The Master’s shields. The Darkness around him seemed impenetrable, yet the force of their attacks caused him considerable pain.

Their offense did exactly what was needed, and The Master came back to himself as his feet left the ground and he was thrown back against one of the large metal dumpsters in the parking lot.

They needed to keep The Master off his feet and focused on fighting them. Brad and the Mentalists stayed on the offensive, not allowing The Master to focus on Henry and Drew. If he did, Brad and the Mentalists were ready and forced him back up.

Ken saw an old ivy-covered telephone poll at the rear of the parking lot that had no power lines or transformers attached, and an idea came to mind.

Hey Dar!

Darren saw in Ken’s Mind what he wanted.

Darren’s dimples appeared at the idea.

You got it!

Darren sliced through the pole with little effort, honing his telekinetic force down to the width of a few molecules. The pole divided into three even pieces and each teleported into the hands of Ken, Rick, and Kevin.

Batter up!

With inhuman speed Ken leapt, twisting his body mid-air, avoiding the clawed hand swiping at him, and as he landed he swung the pole with all his strength right into the stomach of The Master, sending his immense body up in the air, only to have Kevin swat him again before he landed. Rick followed up, and they juggled The Master in a three-way aerial beat down.

The fight became visibly stuttered as they altered their perceptions of Time, speeding up or slowing down to maximize their efforts and coordination. They exhibited perfect control of every move, every act, and every motion, even their breathing was precise and efficiently planned, coordinated through Brad and executed by all of them. They pushed every button they could to infuriate The Master, embarrassing him, teasing him, and mocking him, intuitively knowing what would dig the deepest.

Brad deduced, after numerous discussions with the doctor and Albrecht over the last few years, that while The Master was borderline brilliant and incredibly knowledgeable, he was still a primitive man, and the Curse kept him in that state. The Curse did not hamper his intellectual capacity, but his basic physiological and emotional makeup were locked into his genetic code, and he was still hard-wired as a ‘primitive’ man compared to a modern human.

They spoke at length about the nature of the Curse, after thousands of years of study and research. The Master was born as the first Original Man and was still in that state, Immortal aside from the Curse. But by the nature of the Curse and the interference of The Dark One, he was isolated and alone. Much like Luke isolated Orophir to control him, he did so with The Master as well. Long ago, the doctor realized Immortality was a dual-edged sword, which is what inspired the concept of splitting a Soul with another human to make the years bearable. The Master had been alive forty times as long as the doctor or Albrecht, and in all that time he was alone and unloved while being manipulated and isolated by Luke. The effects on his psyche were horrible and made what happened to Taliesin look minor in comparison.

Brad and the other Mentalists took that knowledge, discussed it at length, and incorporated it into various strategies. Thus, Ken knew how to make his insults more effective. They took no pleasure in taunting the creature they saw as pitiful, who had little chance to be anything other than what he was. His life was a tragedy, yet he was also the closest thing to pure evil besides The Dark One, and they had to do whatever necessary to stop him, even if it dug at their Hearts.

The words of Ken and the rest of the guys, their taunts and the feelings they purposefully invoked in The Master were just as much a part of their strategy as the Physical and Spiritual aspects of the fight. It was, perhaps, even more effective because the Curse couldn’t defend The Master from their words.

The Master’s memories and emotions stirred, perhaps even more because Drew and Henry were inside him and delving into those areas of his Mind. When he was a small boy, The Master had been maltreated and hurt by the male tribal leader who sired him. His treatment at the hands of the Team, abominations in his Mind, brought back the terror of being hurt and out of control. The Dark One, as a voice in his young Mind, vowed he would never be hurt or afraid again, and promised him complete and ultimate Power and Authority over the Physical Realm!

The fact that his brother, whom he considered inconsequential, and the New Warriors of The Order, his inferiors, were causing him embarrassment as well as pain was inconceivable, and drove him to embrace his primitive rage; the rage that drove him to kill his brother the first time. His arrogance, of who and what he was, would not permit him to be mauled or treated in such a manner! His jealousy of their perfection added to the sting and the well of rage inside him, and his emotions fed into the Curse. In essence, he cracked, just as they wanted him too.

HE was the FIRST Soul! HE ruled the Physical Realm! They should BOW to HIM! He was their MASTER!

Brad’s Intuition, boosted by the Avatars of his Brothers, warned him. They were One, and his awareness was theirs. Lane felt it too, on the other side of the planet. Something was about to happen, and his gut ran icy cold. The Dark nimbus surrounding The Master spread out, covering them.

Ken yelled: Dar, get us outta here!

Darren’s Avatar flared under the Kevlar on his muscled shoulder… and nothing happened. The dark shroud of The Master’s Power held them, blocking Darren from teleporting them to safety!

Darren: Fuck! He’s blocking me!

Something terrible was about to happen; the Intuition of Brad and the other Mentalists sent a signal so intense they felt it physically. They also felt a brief conflict in Loy, but his decision was made as soon as the thought formed in his Mind. His eyes flashed White, and his Avatar glowed so brightly under his Kevlar it became visible. He sent his Call across the Spiritual Realm – Come! His Will was in the Command, and the Spirits would come to his bidding even if it meant their demise.

He only wanted to use the Spirits in a direct attack as a last resort. However, his Intuition told him whatever was about to happen was extreme, and the fight needed to continue. Many Spirits were already present as he and his Brothers drew from their strength, but his call went across all Realms.

As they trained themselves to do, all attacks immediately stopped, and they diverted every bit of Power to their Shields. This time, however, they were not enough. The Curse, fully invoked and backed by The Master’s rage, driven to near insanity, was too much.

They knew The Master was Powerful. His Soul was the oldest and strongest in existence, and he had tens of thousands of years to hone his powers under the tutelage of The Dark One. Those qualities alone made him formidable.

They had a glimpse through the Blood Curse that almost killed Ken of the strength of the Curse, but they had no idea how powerful the Curse was in and of itself. What they couldn’t account for, even though they were prepared, was how strong and deep it ran. Its Power ran back to the beginning of Time, before Creation, and even held God’s original plan at bay.

The Master’s scream shook the area and would have shattered the glass of the Waffle House windows if God had not prevented it. The Black explosion of Power that erupted out of him ripped through their Shields, shattering them, sending all eight of them flying back, unconscious. He drove the Darkness of the Curse into them, covering them with a Shroud so they could not recover.

As the echoes of his scream faded, an eerie silence followed. In the aftermath of his effort, The Master stood still, his chest heaving, recovering from the eruption of Power. He shook his head, attempting to regain a semblance of clarity to his thoughts, but the rage would not let go. He saw Ken on the ground, helpless. He lumbered forward, almost stumbling, the pavement rumbling with each step.

He looked at Ken’s handsome face and perfect form, prone at his feet, defenseless. Ken’s perfection was difficult to look at, and The Master’s anger surged back almost the point of losing control again. His lips pulled back savagely over his crooked yellow teeth, and he hissed, spitting his hatred at the Leader of the New Order.

The Master reached down and picked Ken up by his neck as if he weighed nothing. Ken’s 400-lb. body hung limp, dangling helplessly. The Master pulled Ken close enough his hair moved with the force of The Master’s breath as he spoke.

“I told you I would destroy you, yet you still came against me. You have plagued me for the last four years. Your existence is an abomination. With your death, my reign on the Physical Realm will be supreme and uncontested as I was promised. I have longed for this moment, and it is sweeter than I imagined. Die, Ken Habersham, Leader of the New Order. With your death, The Order, Old and New, dies too. The flesh of your Avatars will adorn my new Throne, evidence of the finality of your downfall, proof for eternity that there is no Hope of opposing me.”

Lula, Frank, and the Birdman heard The Master’s words as his voice echoed throughout the Physical Realm. As his words fell silent, the only sound remaining was his harsh, raspy breathing. Then a clear and distinct ‘crack’ was heard across the globe and all through the Heavens as Ken’s neck snapped in The Master’s clawed hand. It wasn’t just his bones breaking, The Master drove his Darkness and Hate into the act, invoking the Curse, making the wounds impossible to Heal. His Darkness drove a wedge into Ken, extinguishing his Light.

The hope of the world died in that instant.

The Master threw Ken’s body down with all his might, breaking him even further. He savagely stomped on him, roaring his primal, savage dominance as he did so.

Breathing heavy, he stopped and looked at the remaining Warriors, sprawled about and helpless. Under the black nimbus covering his face, his lips pulled back in a smile. Turning, he reached for Kevin, who was the next closest. He would kill them one by one.

 

The Valley of Yggdrasil

 

The destruction of the Valley gnawed at Bryan as the Demon’s uprooted and burned everything within their reach. The animals barely slowed them down, sacrificing themselves to little effect. Lane was inside the animals, and through his Avatar it was as if his own Soul and Body were being savagely ripped apart.

Lane, go! I’ll hold here! The animals aren’t enough. Go stop those fuckers!

I can’t leave you, Bry!

You have to! I’ll hold here, Little Buddy. Those Demons will tear the Valley apart if we don’t stop them!

I love you, Bry! I’ll be back!

Lane slowed his perception of Time to collect himself. Momentary anxiety over leaving Bryan struck him, but he quickly compartmentalized it as he was trained to do. His SEAL training was as much a part of him as everything else. He took a deep breath, focusing himself, and recited his usual mantra.

Don’t be a wus, Lane! Think, dumbass think!

His tried and true intonation worked, and his Avatar glowed brightly. Lane looked through the eyes of the closest animal and vanished, using its eyes to teleport to the Demon it fought.

Lane came in hot, filled with Power from the Music of Bryan’s Soul and all the other sources available to him, his movements efficient and precise. There was no banter, his face was grim, and his usual mischievous grin absent. He steeled himself and became what he needed to be; Ken’s hands were on his shoulders and back, along with his Brothers’ in Atlanta as they fought The Master.

The Demons were powerful, fallen Angels from Heaven, sundered from Home, their Power now rooted in Darkness and Evil. Lane’s Shields flared bright, and he honed his White ropes of Power razor-sharp, shredding the Demon in front of him, ending its existence and sending it into oblivion. His attack was authoritative and swift, without mercy. He was visible for less than a few seconds before he vanished again.

His efforts were methodical and calculating, staying down in Time to allow him the chance to look through the eyes of the animals and determine his next target.

Fuck! Loy makes this look easy! It makes me cross-eyed!

He was drenched in sweat from his efforts, and after vanquishing five Demons he had to slow down and recover. Even though it would mean more damage and loss of life, he would not compromise himself by overextending and being impatient. During his brief respite, he allowed his conscious focus to look towards Atlanta. He grinned to himself when Ken called for Darren to cut up the telephone pole, watching through their eyes in the back of his Mind as they swatted The Master around like a woofer ball.

Suddenly Lane felt the same sense of impending wrongness as Brad and the others, and he heard Ken’s voice from across the planet.

Dar! Get us outta here!

Lane’s Avatar synchronized with theirs as Darren tried to teleport them to safety, but it didn’t work.

Fuck! He’s blocking me!

Lane felt the shock against their Shields as The Master, enraged to the point of insanity, hit them with the full Power of the Curse. Lane was with them as their Shields shattered and their conscious Minds went quiet. He felt the blanket of Darkness cover them, and his stomach lurched as they were severed from the Link.

Immediately, their shared Power lessened and Bryan dropped to his knees with a groan. His face turned purple with the strain, and the veins in his neck distended, ready to burst.

Lane’s eyes turned White, and his Avatar glowed. The Vision of Ken’s body dangling helplessly in The Master’s clawed fist filled Lane’s Mind, and his voice echoed throughout the Physical Realm.

 

“I told you I would destroy you, yet you still came against me. You have plagued me for the last four years. Your existence is an abomination. With your death, my reign on the Physical Realm will be supreme and uncontested. I have longed for this moment, and it is sweeter than I imagined. Die, Ken Habersham; Leader of the New Order. With your death, The Order, Old and New, dies too. The flesh of your Avatars will adorn my new Throne, evidence of the finality of your downfall, proof for eternity that there is no Hope of opposing me.”

  

Lane watched The Master snap Ken’s neck and heard the crack that followed. He felt it in his Soul. He saw the wedge of Darkness driven into Ken, extinguishing his Light, and the shroud covering his Brothers keeping them from being Healed. Lanes eyes flooded with tears of disbelief at the implication of what he witnessed. It was as if his own neck snapped.

He and Bryan both stumbled at the realization of Ken’s death, and their Hearts sank in their chests.

NO!

The Master hurled Ken’s body to the ground, stomping on it. The image of Ken, his Brother, dead at The Master’s feet nearly incapacitated Lane. He had seen the image before… in a Dream The Master sent him when his Avatar was first Awakening. The scene wasn’t exactly the same, but it was similar enough. Another image he saw in that Dream was Bryan, impaled on the charred and burning stump of Yggdrasil. He suddenly felt an overwhelming urgency to get back to his husband.

Frustration and anger mixed with the other emotions raging inside him. He took the Gift from Taliesin to change the outcome! He did everything he could to alter events! This should not be happening!

The devastation in Lane and Bryan was incapacitating. One of their Brothers, whose Soul they so often lived in, was just ripped away. They knew the possibility of any of them dying existed, but they always avoided death and managed to come out on top of things. They weren’t cocky, but they were confident in themselves and their abilities and the suddenness of the loss caught them off guard.

Emotions hit and hit hard. They were soldiers, trained and battle-hardened, but they were also men and much more than human. Their capacity for love, as well as pain, was much higher than when they started the Program, and the emptiness in them and the thought of what Ken’s absence would do to Brad as well as the rest of them stunned both men.

It wasn’t possible!

Lane quickly realized his thoughts about Brad were irrelevant. The rest of the Team was unconscious and defenseless, and would all be dead in a matter of seconds. Brad would be gone just like Ken, their Light extinguished from the world. The Master would consume their Souls, and they would be gone, and Uriel would be unable to take them Home.

The Will behind the Black Vortex sensed their weakening and pushed harder. Lane appeared beside Bryan, yet the conflict inside him at the decision he faced was unbearable. If he teleported to Atlanta to try to save his Brothers, Bryan would fall. If he stayed, he and Bryan had a chance to preserve the Valley and save the Tree, but it would cost them the lives of their Brothers. His mind was numb with the decision and with Time standing still the pain was constant and consuming.

How could Ken be dead? Lane’s own Power diminished with the sorrow that his Brother who was so much a part of him was gone and the rest of his Brothers soon to follow. His heart wailed, and he fell to his knees as he wrapped his arms around Bryan.

Lane remembered when he chose to die to save Bryan in Taliesin’s Construct and how that decision turned out to be the wrong one. Bryan wouldn’t have been able to survive without him. Comprehension dawned that everything they worked towards was now over. Lane chose to stay with Bryan, as his heart broke over what he knew was about to happen. He waited for the next sound, futilely trying to brace himself as The Master reached for Kevin.

 

<><>

 

Bryan's eyes widened, and he screamed when Ken’s neck snapped. They were One, and it was as though it happened to him, except it broke his Heart as well. Ken, his Brother, such an integral part of him, was suddenly gone. His own Power diminished as his Brothers were severed from the Link, and he fell to one knee at the sudden massive increase in pain and pressure.

His agony over Ken was every bit as Soul-crushing as when Lane died inside Taliesin’s Construct. The tears were so thick his vision blurred, and grief covered his handsome face.

You can’t be gone, you fucker! You can’t!

Bryan tried to dig deeper within himself amidst the pain, but his heart wasn’t in it. Without Ken, their Avatars couldn’t be completed. Regardless of Drew and Henry’s success, without Ken they couldn’t remove the Curse from Mankind even if they managed to kill The Master.

Lane appeared by Bryan’s side and fell to his knees sobbing. He clung to Bryan, immersing himself in his lover, trying to give and receive comfort and share their grief. Defeat was never an option, and Ken’s optimism and faith in them never wavered. Now he was gone, and they faltered for the briefest of seconds.

With desperate strength, Lane held Bryan as they struggled to compartmentalize their grief. This time it didn’t work. When they were SEALS, still human and Unawake, they learned to do that, but over years of living in one another and becoming so much a part of one another… this time they just couldn’t do it. Their bonds ran too deep. Ken’s absence in their lives was unthinkable, and the rest of their Brothers were about to follow.

His face red and eyes filled with tears, Bryan raised his face and screamed to the heavens.

FUCK!

The seething Blackness, driven by the Will of countless Dark Servants, sensed Bryan’s weakness and struck again with its full might. Four years ago, The Enemy’s first attempt to kill the abominations failed, but now their leader was dead, and the Enemy knew their chance to defeat The Order once and for all was upon them.

One massive Black rope whipped back, a clawed Talon forming at its tip, and struck Bryan directly in his chest. Their Shields shattered, and the column of Darkness impaled itself through Bryan and Lane. Bryan’s eyes went wide in shock and surprise as he looked down at the gaping hole in his chest, glowing with a black nimbus.

Lane was fully merged with Bryan as the Black spear went through their Bodies and their Souls. His eyes went wide in disbelief as the realization hit him they failed and were going to die too. Still on his knees, Lane buried his face in the small of Bryan’s back, unable to grasp what just happened.

Blood trickled from Bryan’s mouth. Handsome, gentle Bryan, the man he loved more than anything, was dying in his arms within seconds of losing Ken. All of them were about to be gone forever, obliterated by The Enemy.

The Black rope split in two and started to lift Bryan up to fling him about, but Lane sliced through it with his dwindling strength. Without the Black rope supporting him, Bryan fell on the roots of the Tree, taking Lane down with him. Again, the image was similar to Lane’s Dream; not identical, but close enough.

Lane did everything possible to divert events from that conclusion, yet it was coming true regardless! The brunt of their failure rested on his shoulders, and his Soul cried for Bryan and Ken and the rest of his Brothers who would surely be dead in moments. His thoughts turned to Drew and Henry, their last hope to break the Curse, praying for their survival.

The Dark Cloud sensed its victory and pulled back to coordinate one final attack on the Tree and destroy it along with the two abominations defending it.

Bryan’s Soul was weakening rapidly, the Music inside his husband fading as Lane Listened. Lane went down in himself and took Bryan with him, appearing naked to each other where their Souls were One. They were together with Bryan’s head cradled in his lap, the gaping hole visible in his chest.

Bryan was so weak he could barely take Lane’s hands. Lane was scarcely conscious, the same wound in his chest, as the last of his Light faded. He used what strength he had to hold Bryan as they looked into each other’s eyes, One being, their sorrow and remorse over everything overtaking them.

Lane’s tears spilled, mixing with Bryan’s, as he looked at his husband.

Bryan’s deep, gravelly voice was barely audible.

“I…Love... you… Lane. I’m ...sorry.”

Lane’s tears were so thick he could barely see, and his throat so tight he couldn’t form words. He actually laughed in his Mind, and a grin crossed his face at his throat closing so tightly; everyone teased Ken about his inability to talk when he got emotional. Lane’s grin faded as his wounds overtook him, and his vision began to darken.

Lane didn’t have the strength to hug Bryan, but he wanted to feel their bodies touching one last time. He drew strength simply by holding Bryan and loving him so much. Everything went still in the Time between breaths where he and his husband were dying together. He went quiet, straining to Listen and hear the last heartbeats of his husband.

Lanes heart was with his Brothers as well, unconscious in Atlanta.

They tried! They tried so hard!

Hopefully, Henry and Drew would succeed, and the doctor could figure out some way to carry on the Program.

The place where their Souls were One began to dim as they started to slip away. This time Uriel could take them to Heaven together, yet both men wondered how, even in Heaven, they could ever find happiness and contentment without their Brothers.

 

The Eschphene High Temple – Beyond the Pale

 

Németh carefully observed the Nexus of Balance in the Eschphene High Temple. Balance and Equilibrium were the Province of his People and being their Leader, he followed events leading up to the Conflict, attuned through the High Temple to everything transpiring. He ambled slowly through the mystical representation of Creation floating in the air around him, observing everything.

He followed the myriad intricate threads and knew who and what each one represented. He saw Drew and Henry and the Wolf-Spirit inside The Master’s Psyche. His own Magic made that possible, and he sent a silent prayer to the Balance the boy would be successful.

He was surprised to see the bright threads of the Hybrid Nephilim, the brightest of any he had ever seen, brighter even than the Archangels who sired them. They were typically hidden from him, but with the culmination of events their threads were too bright to hide.

He saw The Master and all his servants, especially the massive Vortex of intertwined Darkness as Bryan and Lane fended them off in the Valley of Yggdrasil.

He watched Aaron and Albrecht in Atlanta, and Tag, Olive, and Raphael as they drove towards The Master. There was something attached to Tag and Olive he had never seen before and would have to ponder. They had been touched by something he was unfamiliar with it was gravely disturbing.

Németh saw the Dragon, named Leroy, awake in his cave, and his heart lurched.

Németh watched as Ken’s Thread snapped, and his heart lurched again. One thing he learned in all the long years of his exile was not to rush to conclusions. The ripples of the Hybrid Nephilim were so Random and far-reaching there was no way to predict any outcome. He would remain patient and wait for events to unfold, yet he still prayed for Ken Habersham.

The Tapestry was brought to life by the Sigils embedded in the stone floor of the Temple. The same Temple where the human Henry Ross recently killed Németh’s last descendant, restoring his rightful place as Leader of his People.

Eschphene Magic was potent, and the High Temple one of their crowning achievements. It allowed Németh to see anything related to the Balance, and as he observed all the events occurring simultaneously, he noticed minute gaps.

His knowledge and wisdom ran deep, and he knew there was at least one piece still not in play. He saw a tiny gap in the threads and the frays that needed to be woven back in. The forces keeping the Balance swayed so long towards the Dark resisted with all their might. Németh’s thin lipless mouth smiled as his thoughts formed. He would patch the visible frays, not to sway the Balance in favor of the Light, but to give the Light an equal chance.

He reached out and plucked the brightest of the seven tiny threads, and watched the vibrations lead back to their Source. He plucked the others, and they led back to the same place. There was something odd about two of the threads in particular. Once present, he was confident he could discern the reason.

His Mind called forth Sigils to take him to the Physical Realm, and he vanished as his Magic took him to the humans whose threads he touched.

 

Uluru, Australia Lab

 

Everyone was on edge, gathered in the common area. Sally let everyone know they found Drew and the confrontation was happening much sooner than expected. Everyone in the Uluru base was Shielded from the Compulsion Brad sent across the world that put everyone into a deep sleep.

Jacob, Guy, Nathan, Caleb, and Rich were soldiers and wanted to help. Craig stood with his older brother against Jacob’s better judgment even though he knew Craig wanted to help. However, there was no way in or out of the base except by teleportation, so they were climbing the walls.

When Sally’s message arrived, Jacob called everybody into the common area of the Lab. Kelly was there with her daughter Chloe, along with everyone else. Chloe, usually a very calm and quiet infant, was fussy and irritable. Glenn Hampton and the other fathers, except Kent, didn’t hide their irritation at the sounds of the crying baby and the fact they were all pulled out of their beds.

Jacob held Chloe, bouncing her in his attempt to quiet her. As Jake gathered his thoughts to speak, Glenn Hampton cut him off.

“Who put you in charge, kid?”

Jacob calmly handed Chloe to Kelly and turned to face Glenn, saying, “Excuse me sir, but you need to sit down and be quiet. You know what’s happening, and I think it would be safer if we all stay together. We have no idea what to expect, good or bad, and we need to be ready for anything.”

Glenn puffed up like a rooster, wanting to assert his dominance.

Rich sighed and said, “God, dad, give it a rest. Jake’s right, we need to stay together until we figure out what’s going on.”

“I’m not taking orders from a snot-nosed punk!”

Kent saw red and was about to tear into his old friend, but before he could say anything Rich shot back, “How about you do it because it makes sense, dad?”

Glenn, incensed his son who used to be a total pushover was standing up to him and embarrassing him in from of his friends, grabbed Rich by his shirt collar and yelled, “Don’t talk back to me!”

The next thing Glenn knew his face was pressed down on the kitchen table with his arm painfully twisted behind his back.

“You’re never touching me like that again, dad. You’re a total dick.”

Rich glanced at the other fathers, “All of you are, except for Mr. Peterson. You know what we’re involved in. If something goes wrong, we need you to be ready, not pissing your territory. Now do as Jake says, or I’ll kick all your sorry asses.”

Jake stifled his initial “Oh shit!” at Rich’s action, and almost laughed. He winked at his friend and nodded.

Glenn’s face was purple, and he screamed, “Let me go!”

Rich asked, “Are you going to behave?”

Rich gave an additional twist of his dad’s arm, and Glenn practically spit out, “Alright! Alright!”

Rich let him go, backing off quickly and ready for any retaliation on his father’s part, but Glenn was too overweight and out of shape to do anything but pant and sit down. His hair was disheveled, his eyes full of rage and embarrassment, and he wouldn’t make eye contact with anyone.

Before tempers escalated any further, they were all shocked when Craig let out a yelp of surprise as Németh plucked his string.

Kent Peterson shuddered and groaned too, doubling over like he had been punched in the stomach.

Jacob, Caleb, Guy, Nathan, and Rich felt it to a much smaller extent. They all looked at each other with surprise and not a little fear in their eyes.

Before any of them could say a word one of the mothers screamed, pointing towards the gymnasium doors.

None of them were prepared to see the massive form of Németh crouched over to fit in the room.

 

 

The Lab – Atlanta, GA

 

Aaron and Albrecht were tense. The event of their lifetimes, the final confrontation with The Master was at hand. Their adoptive sons, born to finish that fight, disappeared moments ago from the gym to confront The Master in an unwinnable fight.

There were many reasons why Aaron and Albrecht never fully merged with their young charges. Both men had done things they were ashamed of in the thousands of years of their lifetimes, but that wasn’t the main reason. Both men garnered certain arcane knowledge they didn’t want their adoptive sons exposed to. It was inevitable in the fight against Evil that they would learn much that scarred their Souls. “Know thy Enemy” was a phrase often used, but not necessarily wise when dealing with pure Evil.

Aaron and Albrecht knew the power of the Curse and how far-reaching it was, altering the foundation of Creation and holding God’s original plan at bay. That was what their sons were up against.

Aaron’s original Plan to implement New Warriors of The Order had been hijacked by the Archangels of the Higher Order, and only in the last few years was Aaron aware of their manipulations. The men he considered his sons, through the intervention of the Archangels, and even God as he now understood it, were far, far greater than he ever hoped they could be.

He felt blessed by the men who came into his life. It might have been fate, but regardless of the tests and interviews, he knew immediately when each of them walked into his office they were the ones he sought. Even then, decades before their first Awakening when they were still fully human, there was something about them that reached out to him. It was subtle, but he learned to trust his intuition.

He came to love them as his own early on, though he seldom showed it outwardly. At that time in his life, he still struggled with Albrecht’s absence, but they embraced him in their lives, wrapping him up and already affecting him. They made his life bearable in a dark time, and he came to love them even more. Just as importantly, he came to not only trust them but to trust in them and their potential. It tore at his Heart to keep information from them, but once he revealed his true purpose for recruiting them, they didn’t flinch and faced their destiny head-on with him by their side. There were still times, in the quiet of the night when Albrecht held him, he teared up over of how much he cared for them.

The main reason, though, that Aaron never merged with his sons, and made Albrecht promise not too as well, was that he never wanted them to see the seed of doubt that existed in him about their ability to win. It was small and rarely in his conscious Mind, yet it was there, and he knew it could cripple their ability to succeed. Aaron hated himself for that doubt. He knew so many things they did not; in fact, he wished he could forget many things he knew. He believed in them with all his Heart, yet in the farthest corners of his Intellect, he knew what they faced; a force powerful enough to change Creation against the Will of God. He was, perhaps, the only person who truly understood the Curse and what it was. His unconscious Mind fought that doubt every second of every day, and he prayed his sons would find a way to win.

In their lifetime of study and fighting the Battle against The Enemy, Aaron and Albrecht gleaned many secrets Mortals were never meant to know. Both men wore The Mantle at some point in their lives and delved into the mysteries of The Enemy. They knew how powerful the Curse was and how formidable The Master was, even without the Curse.

If the Curse wasn’t in the equation, there would be no doubt of their sons’ success, but it was, and it changed everything. The secret of their Avatars, which Brad gleaned on more than one occasion, was that they would be equal ‘at the moment’ to any challenge. The Achilles Heel of that strength was ‘at the moment.’ How many moments could they maintain that level of Power and sacrifice? Even for them, as brave and stoic as they were, it seemed an impossible task.

The Paradox of their existence was his final hope. He knew they could accomplish impossible things; he witnessed it repeatedly. He never wanted his seed of doubt to be planted in their Minds and Hearts about their ability to succeed, so he kept from merging with them so they would never see it in either of their mentors.

We should go, Aaron. They will need us.

No. As painful as it is, we should stay here. Our ways failed. They are the New Order, and it is their fight. What difference can we make? We would only hinder them.

Aaron, listen to me! Perhaps our ways did fail. The Mantle and Charisa… there was Corruption, but Charisa’s faults did not stem from you! We cannot let them face The Master alone! You have studied the Curse your entire life, and even you are not sure what its Power is capable of. Their Avatars are strong, but until Drew and Henry are successful, the fight is unwinnable. Even then, we don’t know. I trust them, Aaron, more than you. We have seen them perform impossible tasks. I believe in them, and you must too. Cast the seed of doubt from your Mind once and for all. You must, or your lack of faith in them will be their undoing.

Albrecht’s words were harsh and painful, and it was a discussion they often had of late. Aaron was a great man, one of the greatest who ever lived, and the world owed him a debt of gratitude it would never know. In the quiet of the night, though, when he was simply Aharon, Albrecht’s lover, he was a man with his own doubts and fears.

Aaron recounted a discussion he had with Brad recently about how, even after the thousands of years he and Albrecht lived together, Albrecht managed to teach him things about himself. As usual in his self-deprecating way, Aaron wasn’t aware he had the same effect on Albrecht, and he would sometimes forget until they merged and were One, sharing everything.

The love they found when Aaron split their Souls all those years ago laid the foundation for what their sons now were. Aaron wished he had merged with them, just once, to see them as they truly were. He vowed that if they survived this fight, he would do that and take the chance of them not accepting him once they saw everything in his life.

You know they will, Aaron. Don’t make them less than they are. That’s what I’m trying to tell you. They are above you and I, even though they will never see themselves as such. They are greater than you and I could ever be, yet it was you who made them that way. It was your Plan, even before the interference of the Archangels, to make them so. It was your wisdom, against the wishes of Charisa and the Elders, that guided them and allowed them to grow without interference. The High Hosts might have improved on your plan, but it was your plan. You did it for a Purpose, and sacrificed your life to make it so, even to the point where Charisa mandated our separation, knowing how much pain it would cause us.

As usual, when words ran dry, the two men quietly rested in each other as One. They stayed in that state more often than not, a refuge for one another, a sanctuary, where they could work everything out. They promised each other early in their relationship never to separate angry or at odds with one another. Sometimes it was difficult because they were both strong-willed and intelligent, yet they always managed to figure things out together. They were more than the sum of their individual selves, just as their sons were. That Paradox was the hope Aaron needed to have in them.

Albrecht pushed Aaron to embrace that hope despite everything he knew, and believe their sons would be successful. Albrecht reminded Aaron even God acted through people more often than his Angels.

We must be there for them, Aaron. You and I. It is fitting, and I think they will need us to win.

Aaron sighed as his massive intellect took in his lover’s words. He knew Albrecht was right and set aside his pride and doubts. His guilt was the last thing he let go, and the hardest. He would not allow himself to be the reason his sons failed. He would not… could not fail them. He loved them too much to fail them.

He remembered when he started to fear them and what they were becoming. When he first realized their potential and saw the Pattern of their Avatars emerging, doubts crept into the back of his Mind. It was Brad and Ken who showed him how groundless his fears were, and how much they loved him as a father. He saw their humility even then, and their unconditional love for him as their surrogate father.

Aaron laughed deep inside himself as he recalled how Brad cast his ego and pride aside to grasp his full potential. On the day Brad and Ken were in the bank robbery, Brad had an epiphany, having to surrender and shed his ego and the pride that held him back.

My sons, like Albrecht, continue to teach me.

Albrecht felt the courage it took for Aaron to exorcise the seed of doubt that followed him about their inability to win. Aaron was a scientist, a mathematician; hope and intangibles were always difficult for him, even with all his spiritual and arcane knowledge. He faced the fact his sons were a Paradox, outside normal boundaries, and touched everyone and everything around them in inexplicable ways.

Let us go.

Albrecht smiled, and Aaron’s heart warmed as it always did. His smile altered into a smirk.

I’ll drive. You drive slower than my mother.

Aaron’s immediate analytical response was that cars hadn’t existed when Albrecht’s mother was alive. However, she would have most certainly driven an animal cart of some kind, most likely an Ox.

That’s my point! You drive slower than an Ox cart. We will never get there in time.

Albrecht continued to smirk as he grabbed the keys to one of the Suburban’s.

 

The Physical Realm – Waffle House Parking Lot

 

As The Master reached for Kevin, a deep-throated guttural growl echoed through the Physical and Spiritual Realms. He heard the growl in his Mind and Body and recognized it for the challenge it was. The sound gave him pause, but it was the Power behind it that stopped him. Not only was it strong, it was wild and savage… not human, and he turned to face it.

He turned and saw a dog, bloody and wounded, standing defiantly and defending the unconscious Warriors. The Master looked directly into Cavall’s silver eyes and realized the dog saw through the Black nimbus surrounding him. Recognition immediately followed, and he wondered how Cavall could be present. His servants told him of the animal when they killed Taliesin, and he speculated it might be Cavall, somehow come back. A strange chill ran down The Master’s spine at the sight of the dog… too many things were happening outside his control, too much opposition he did not expect. The Balance was pushing back harder than expected.

Cavall’s ears lay flat, his fangs bared and hackles high. His silver eyes saw everything, and Cavall knew who it was he faced. He saw lightning ripping through the skies, and how thin the Veil was at that moment. He saw the two Realms reacting to the Battle he was in the middle of. He saw the turbulence and vortices around The Master and what they meant.

Cavall realized the creature in front of him was the Source of the Evil his masters fought against all the long years across Time. A sudden warmth spread through the hound as he heard both his Master’s voices.

Delay him, Cav. You’re the only one who can, Braveheart!

Fearless, Cavall knew he would most likely be reunited with his masters soon. He would give up his life to protect the Steward and his Brothers and delay the Evil before him with everything he had in him.

With his silver eyes, Cavall also saw Henry and Drew inside the vile creature. Cavall still protected the boy as instructed, and he instinctively knew he had to keep the focus of The Master on him to give the boy more time.

He bared his fangs at The Master in a feral smile, making his challenge clear.

You must pass me to get them, Evil One.

Cavall was fearless; another Defender of the Light against the Darkness. Blessed by the Angel Ariel at Raphael’s behest, he had already saved Drew so he could face his brother, fulfilling his first Purpose. Now he faced off against the Evil One himself, willingly giving himself up to complete the last command of Áedán and his beloved Steward. He had no hope of winning, but he would delay the creature as long as he drew breath and make his masters proud.

 

The Master’s Psyche

 

Henry knew the moment The Master became aware of them. The difference was manifest as soon as he and Drew burned up the shades, subtle but noticeable. He didn’t say anything to Drew, but Drew’s hand tightened around his. The Master’s focus was on them, searching for them.

Drew squeezed his eyes shut, scrunching up his face.

You don’t see us. We aren’t here.

The same wave of Power Henry felt when they arrived came out of Drew. Henry squeezed his hand back in recognition of his sons’ efforts.

The Master’s presence got stronger, but it seemed to move over and through them, and Henry breathed a sigh of relief.

“You’re awesome, Tiger.”

Henry ruffled Drew’s short hair and Drew grinned.

There was a door on the far side of the Throne Room. A new sense of urgency passed through Henry, and even with the time differential, he knew they had to hurry.

“Come on, let’s keep moving.”

The Wolf-Spirit moved forward and sniffed at the door. She nudged it open with her muzzle, and there were stairs going down. A breeze blew through the door, bringing a smell of dampness, mold, and memories.

This way.

The stairs began as polished wood but soon turned to stone. The temperature dropped as they went down, and Henry had an odd sensation of going backward in Time.

 

Waffle House, Buford Drive, Buford, GA

The Nexus of Events

 

Ken started. Searing pain wracked his Soul as The Master hit them with the Curse… and suddenly he was seated at a table in the Waffle House on Buford Drive, surrounded by the familiar smells of his favorite greasy diner. Frank, his favorite cook, stood behind the counter at the grille. He recognized Miss Lula although she rarely waited on him. Another man he didn’t recognize sat across the table from him, but Ken knew him immediately from Henry’s description. His Ageless eyes were filled with stars and held all of Creation in them; he was Drew’s Birdman.

Aside from suddenly and unexpectedly finding himself there, the scene through the window shocked Ken. He saw himself at The Master’s feet, his body crumpled, and his head turned at an impossible angle. The rest of the Team lay unconscious, scattered about the feet of The Master and covered by a Black Aura. Cavall, fangs bared and hackles high, stood between The Master and his Brothers, bravely defending them.

The scene was still, paused in Time, and Ken’s stomach lurched as he remembered the agonizing pain as The Master unleashed the full Power of the Curse on them, shattering their Shields and rendering them unconscious. He saw Brad on the ground, defenseless with his Brothers and couldn’t sense any of them. He was terrified for them and reached for Brad with his Mind and Heart but felt nothing, and that scared him as much as anything.

Ken’s throat closed, thick with emotion, and his eyes filled with hot tears. He put a hand on the window, wanting to be with them.

His deep voice was barely discernable as he squeaked out, “Oh, God, no!”

A feeling of sudden and intense desperation gnawed at his Heart. They needed him! It wasn’t conceit or cockiness on his part. They needed to be together! He needed to be there for them! The cold pressure of anxiety in the pit of his stomach at what they faced without him made him want to throw up.

He sat, looking entirely out of place. His muscled frame wearing the Kevlar Assault Suit designed by the doctor, soaked in sweat and dirt from the fight, his short dark brown hair plastered to his head. His emerald green eyes were red with tears running down his handsome face at what he saw. He kept his hand on the window, trying to Will himself back into his body.

“Hello, Ken.”

Ken turned, his throat so tight he could barely talk.

His voiced sounded pleading, “Send me back! Please… I have to go back!”

“That’s not up to me, Ken. Nothing is going to happen for a while. Sit with me.”

Quickly, Ken’s Mind took in his situation. He knew Uriel couldn’t take his Soul to Heaven without the half residing in Brad. However, there was nothing to prevent The Master from consuming the half in his body to make himself even stronger, and if that happened Ken would cease to exist, and he and Brad would never be together. It would most certainly cause Brad’s death as well, and his fear was more for that than his own.

Ken’s handsome brow furrowed, and he quietly asked, “Who are you?”

His eyes darted to Lula and Frank and widened when he saw Frank’s eyes. A look of disbelief crossed his face, and Frank grinned and winked at him. With his enhanced sight, Ken saw stars and all of Creation in them, and he whispered, “Fuck me.”

He saw the same in Miss Lula’s.

“You should eat, Ken. Maybe it will calm your nerves. Nothing is set in stone, and even I don’t know the outcome. I do, however, know everything that is happening. All is not lost yet.”

Ken was sure he sat in the presence of God at the Waffle House, just as Henry did when he died. He couldn’t shake the thought he failed. He failed Drew and Henry, Brad and his Brothers, and the doctor and Albrecht. He failed everyone who mattered to him, and the world when he was needed most.

Another voice shocked Ken back to himself.

“Hey, fucker!”

He turned to see his brother walking towards him.

“Rich?!”

Ken flew out of the booth and grabbed his brother, burying his face in Richard’s shoulder as the two men hugged. Ken squeezed his brother as tightly as he dared.

Rich’s big arms wrapped around Ken, clapping him on the back as he said, “That’s Dick to you, hombre!”

Rich held him for a minute, hugging him back, knowing the emotional turmoil Ken was going through. There were tears in Rich’s eyes as well while he held his younger brother.

Rich released the hug. Taking Ken by his shoulders and holding him at arm’s length, he said, “Fuck, let me look at you. God, what a stud! And still better lookin’ than me!”

Rich glanced down at the man in the booth and said, “Sorry!”

Ken’s eyes were bloodshot, and his cheeks were wet with hot tears and his own sweat.

Ken started to stammer, “I failed, Rich. I… I don’t…”

“Shut it punk. You haven’t failed shit! Not yet, anyhow. I’ve been watchin.’ You didn’t have a chance to stop what happened. The Curse… it’s too strong. The kid and his dad need to do their thing, and then you can kick the hairy guy’s ass.”

“But I’m here…”

“I got no idea how that’s gonna work little bro, but you got a badass guy out there and all your fuck-up Brothers still in the game. It ain’t over ’til the fat lady sings, right? Let’s grab some chow and see how things play out.”

Ken sat back down. Rich was right, he had to have faith in Brad and his Brothers. He had to trust them.

“Mom said to tell you hello. She wasn’t allowed to be here, but I sweet-talked you-know-who into letting me come.”

Ken was grateful for Rich being there; his brother calmed him down, just as Brad would have. Rich reached across the table and lightly smacked Ken on the cheek.

“Suck it up. I didn’t come all this way to eat by myself, plus I wanna see what all the fuss is about these hash browns.”

Ken took a deep breath, forcing his anxiety down. It was hard. He missed Brad’s presence, and his Brothers’; he was never really alone anymore, and the feeling was intensely uncomfortable. However, his flesh and blood brother Rich, who was dead and in Heaven, sat across the table from him. Like so many things in his life it was impossible, yet it was real and happening.

Miss Lula was done with her ‘nudges’ as far as events were concerned, but she didn’t think one more to help relieve Ken’s anxiety would hurt. It wouldn’t affect anything one way or the other.

Suddenly, Ken’s stomach let out a colossal rumble of hunger. Rich’s eyes widened at the sound, and he guffawed, “Damn! That was impressive, even by my standards!’

Ken sheepishly grinned back. Maybe some hash browns wouldn’t be so bad, especially if Frank was cooking them.

 

The Master’s Psyche

 

The Wolf-Spirit led Henry and Drew further back through The Master’s memories. They moved down the stairway after burning up the Shades, and the temperature dropped as they descended. At some point in the darkness, the steps turned into cold, wet, slippery stone.

We are fortunate. The cub hides us well, and this path circumvents many traps and will take us closer to where we must be. If not for the cub masking our scent, we would be in far more danger than we are.

The Wolf-Spirit sounded pleased with herself and Drew, and Henry was more than grateful for her presence and guidance. He was also proud of Drew and made sure he knew it.

Henry watched her as she guided them, occasionally stopping to sniff cautiously before continuing, and he would often feel a slight transition as she moved them in whatever manner she did, avoiding traps or other dangers.

After what seemed like hours roots and vines appeared, hanging from the dark ceiling. They were wet and annoying, slapping Henry in the face and forcing him to hold an arm out to keep them at bay. Drew and the Wolf-Spirit were short enough the vines didn’t bother them.

As they descended, Drew started shivering, and Henry paused to pick his son up and hold him, using his body heat as well as their combined Shields to keep the cold at bay. The place they were in was cold and damp, but there was also a cold that wanted to work its way down to their Souls. Henry zipped up Drew’s hoodie and covered his head. The fatherly care he showed his son unconsciously made Drew less afraid and love his dad all the more.

A deep guttural growl suddenly echoed around them, not just in the area they were in but throughout The Master’s Mind. It was loud and shook everything, yet at the same time it bolstered their Shields. Drew recognized the growl from when Taliesin died.

“Daddy! That’s Cavall!”

Henry stifled his immediate thought that Cavall didn’t stand a chance against The Master. Drew would be devastated if the dog were hurt or killed.

For the first time, the Wolf-Spirit’s voice held a sense of urgency as if she knew something.

Follow!

It seemed another hour at least before the steps came to an end, opening into a hallway. The walls and ceiling were stone, and it was filled with heavy wooden doors, many with glowing Black Runes. Faint wails and other muffled noises came from behind the doors.

Henry wondered at the doors and the appearance of the place they were in. They were between The Master’s memories, guided by the Wolf-Spirit. His insight told him his Mind altered the presentation into something he could comprehend. Brad spoke of that happening when they went to the place where their Souls were One. It wasn’t an actual place, yet they perceived it as so. He didn’t focus on it, accepting it and grateful his Mind worked in his favor.

As soon as Henry stepped into the hallway, a brief but intense sense of vertigo came over him. He felt as if he was falling into himself and went down to one knee.

“Daddy!”

Their Shields flared brighter at Drew’s emotional surge over concern for Henry.

Henry tightened his grip on Drew and managed to say, “I’m okay, honey. I’ve never felt anything like that.”

Where we are now is before you were born. The first such crossing is always the most difficult. It will lessen quickly and become easier each time.

The Wolf-Spirit sniffed at the air, pacing back and forth a few times with her hackles partially raised.

We are deeper here and further back. Behind these doors are memories he has locked away.

After a short pause, her voice continued… I smell danger. It is close.

Henry had no idea how the Wolf-Spirit knew where they were but trusted her implicitly.

“So, we’re getting closer?”

Yes, but the memory we seek will be the deepest and oldest of all, and will be protected.

“Well, we knew this wasn’t going to be easy.”

They started moving again, and as they passed the first few doors, the noises in the rooms became louder. There were screams of pain and suffering and even some of ecstasy. Many of the voices begged for an end to their torment, be it pleasure or pain. Like the Shades in the throne room, the Souls behind the doors sensed the Light in father and son and Drew jumped when a door thumped as whatever was inside tried to get at him.

Henry turned Drew’s head against his neck and whispered in his ear, reminding him he was safe.

“I’ve got you, Tiger. Nothing’s going to hurt you.”

Drew’s arms tightened around Henry at his comforting words, and his dad’s rock-hard body beneath the Kevlar coupled by the Wall of his Will calmed him.

Time and distance were difficult to measure, but it seemed the tunnel ran on for miles. Henry remembered Brad talking about how travel worked across the Veil; direction mattered, but distance had no meaning. They didn’t have a choice in the direction they moved in at the moment as the tunnel only went one way.

A few minutes after Henry had that thought, they came to another opening. As they approached the threshold, he could tell the area beyond was a large open space. Tunnels like the one they were in lay all around the periphery, like spokes of a giant wheel, but also from above and below as they approached the center of The Master’s memories. The place reminded Henry of an Escher print as each hallway that fed into the large area was on a different plane.

Be wary. There is a trap here. I smell it but cannot discern its nature.

Henry immediately became more alert and set Drew down in case they needed to fight. He felt disoriented again as they moved out from the tunnel. They seemed to be walking on air, but their footing was solid even though he could see all the other hallways above and below him.

He felt like he wanted to throw up from the disorientation when he heard the Wolf-Spirit’s voice.

Focus on me.

As soon as he did what she said his orientation settled, and after a moment he adapted to the oddity. The white lock in his hair glinted in the darkness as he discerned the nature of where they were and how to traverse it.

The air was damp and there was a faint echo of dripping water, but the direction and source were indiscernible. There was no floor or ceiling, only the small lights of the hallways similar to the one they came from. As they moved further in, the tiny lights from the corridors looked like stars in a night sky.

A strong smell of saltwater permeated the air, and it reminded Drew of Thomin’s Vault but much, much larger. He shivered in his hoodie, not from the cold but from the memory of his time there and his Uncle Darren’s torture.

The Wolf-Spirit cautiously led them towards the center of the room. Henry gave up on trying to remember which way they came from. If they needed to backtrack, he hoped the Wolf would know the way.

“Daddy, I see something.”

Drew pointed ahead towards the center, and Henry saw a small stone structure about as tall as his son. The sound of dripping water became louder as they approached.

It appeared to be a ring of moss-covered stones, stacked roughly in a circle, with a metal grate across the top. The entire structure was covered in a network of thick black iron chains with many large, heavy locks. It was old, and Henry felt another wave of vertigo as they moved up to it.

It was the well inside The Master’s Mind… the place he shoved the memories of his brother down tens of thousands of years ago.

This well is the doorway to The Master’s deepest memories and fears. All that made him human lies inside. Your journey ends once you enter that well.

Drew stared at the stone structure, and Henry was surprised to see no fear in him. What Henry did see bothered him deeply. It was the same indifference Drew exhibited before he ran away, and Henry masked his reaction over what he saw. No six-year-old should ever have to deal with what Drew did, or what he had in his life up to that point. It ignited the anger in Henry once again at the injustice of it all, but he stifled his emotions.

Henry walked up to the well and visually examined it. When he got to the edge, another sound mixed with the dripping water. Henry’s breath caught at the faint echoes of a child screaming. He knew without question the screams were from the first version of his son that was so brutally murdered.

Drew’s words shocked Henry when he said quietly, almost to himself, “That’s me.”

Henry was at a loss for words. Even with his newfound wisdom, he didn’t know what to say, so he grabbed Drew and pulled him close. Henry fought the tears that wanted to come; they were from anger as much as hearing the pain of the echoing cries.

Drew, in that adult-like tone he sometimes used, hugged him back and whispered in his ear, “It’s okay, Daddy. Don’t cry.”

Knowing what the sound did to his dad, Drew wanted to comfort him.

It took everything Henry had to act normal. He knew if he was upset it would upset Drew, so he braced himself and became the Wall Drew needed him to be.

He squeezed Drew one last time, rubbing his back, and said, “I love you, Tiger.”

Drew said, “I love you too, Daddy.”

Henry got up and turned to look at the well again, trying to ignore the sounds.

“We know there’s a trap here, but this is the only way forward. Everyone get ready. Drew, hold on to me, honey.”

Henry channeled oxygen through his Core energy center, and his body swelled slightly as his muscles were pumped full of oxygen and blood. A light sheen of sweat covered his body, and whatever skin was exposed felt the chill air.

“Here goes nothing.”

He grabbed the chain but pulled his hand back quickly. The black iron wasn’t just cold, it burned with the evil Will of The Master who placed the protections, chains, and locks to keep anyone from entering.

Henry put on the gloves he had tucked in his belt. It would help with the cold and roughness of the chains, and his Shields would have to protect him from the Darkness.

He knelt at eye level with Drew and said, “Alright kiddo, your old man needs your help again. We need to burn through these chains. You think you can help me do that?”

Drew nodded his head, and his eyes turned White as he delved into Henry. They were once again together in that place where their Souls were One, naked to one another, entirely comfortable with the sharing and exposure. It was never sexual between them and always a comfort.

In that place Drew instinctively climbed into Henry’s lap. He nuzzled against Henry’s warm bare torso and wrapped his little arms around Henry’s thick neck. Henry wrapped his powerful arms around his son, holding him tightly for a few seconds, resting his chin on top of Drew’s head. They breathed in each other’s essence.

You ready, Tiger?

Yes, Daddy.

Alright, let’s do this.

Henry bolstered his Shields against what he knew was coming and grabbed two of the chain links in his gloved hands. His physique swelled, and some of the Velcro bindings started to stretch. Sweat popped out on his forehead as he gritted his teeth, twisting the links apart. It was an effort, but he bore down with all his physical and Spiritual strength, augmented by his son. White Light shone around him and in his hands as he burned through the Black links. It took a few seconds but the first link snapped and dissipated into smoke.

As soon as the link disappeared, sounds broke out everywhere, echoing and reverberating around the chamber. The doors in all the tunnels flew open, releasing the memories contained within. It was impossible to tell how many doors opened but based on the hallway they came through and the multitude of similar corridors, there could potentially be tens of thousands.

Henry let out a ‘Fuck me’ under his breath and started breaking chains as fast as he could, but knew he would never get enough cleared before whatever was behind the doors reached them. He and Drew glowed brightly in the darkness putting forth everything they had, trying to go as fast as possible.

Drew pressed against Henry’s leg as he watched the rushing tide of Shades swarming towards them. The deafening noise they made was the worst. Henry knew he wasn’t going to get the grate open in time, so he turned, putting Drew behind him, and faced the oncoming tide.

Henry was shocked when the Wolf-Spirit moved through them and outside his protection.

Her voice was quiet and calm in his Mind, even soothing, and he heard her through the deafening sound of the shades.

Go! Take the cub and flee. You no longer need me to guide you. I will hold them and give you time.

Drew shouted: No!

It is the way of the pack, child. Feel no remorse for me. I love you, Drew Ross, as one of my own, and I will do what I must to keep you safe. Honor me with your success. Be brave little cub, as I know you are.

Her form grew as she turned to face them. Just as she had grown in Henry’s nightmare when he fought the Eschphene Leader, she filled the chamber, and the Light of her form illuminated the eyes of the shades.

Her massive jaws opened, and she spun ferociously as the first Shades reached her. Her howl, much like Cavall’s, slowed them down, and she ripped the first part of the wave to shreds. Her ferocity and Power held them at bay as Henry desperately broke links until there were enough missing to pull the chains from over the grate that capped the well.

Henry cringed when he heard her yelp in pain as she was overrun. They swarmed over her and she writhed under them, clawing and biting any that came within reach.

Drew was almost hysterical as he hugged Henry’s leg, his desperation clear through the strength of his grip.

Drew! Come on, honey!

We can’t leave her daddy! We can’t!

The indifference in Drew vanished at the sight of the Wolf-Spirits plight, and his emotions were running wild. White fire shot from his hands and blazed through the Shades, obliterating the ones he hit. It gave the Wolf the respite she needed to get back on her feet.

The wave inside of Drew smothered his Centering Flame, and the incarnations appeared, manifesting around him. His own rushing tide, his former lives, memories, and fragments of his Soul, flooded out of him to meet the tormented creatures bound to The Master.

The Power Drew exerted was considerable, and the Wolf-Spirit’s only slightly less. Inside his Mind, The Master became aware of the fight and knew where they were. He still did not understand his own danger, but he knew where they were trying to go.

He was forced to fight on two fronts, his enemies using the same tactic to separate his focus. Rage bellowed in his Mind, and Black Power filled the shades.

DESTROY THEM!

The Wolf-Spirit looked directly at Drew with a wolfish grin and let out a howl that shook the entire area. She called The Master’s attention to herself, as she turned to run.

Henry knew what she was doing, though he wasn’t sure Drew understood her intent.

The Master’s voice echoed over the din of the shades.

You were foolish, Spirit. You have haunted my Dreams, and if you had stayed in that Realm you would have been safe. Now you are mine! You will pay for your insolence and interference! Without your aid, my brother and the Betrayer will have no chance! I cannot feel them yet, but once I kill the rest of the abominations, I will turn my focus inwards. Hear me, brother! I will kill you again, and this time I will eat your Soul so you can never return!

Drew was frantic to save the Wolf-Spirit. He loved her as much as he loved his uncles, and it tore at his young heart, knowing she was going to die because of him. He carried the burden of the lives his Brother took because of him, Taliesin the most recent and still fresh in his Heart. Henry grabbed Drew around his waist with one arm as he kicked and screamed, and with his other he tossed the grate aside.

With the well uncovered, the screams became louder and clearer. They were Drew. Henry heard them before; right after Liz died, those screams woke him up as Drew dreamed of his first death. The sounds of his son in such pain were almost more than Henry could bear, but he had no choice, and he intended to make it so his son would never have to know such torment again. The Wall inside Henry firmed as he used the emotions listening to Drew’s cries invoked in him to make it stronger. It hurt every bit as much as his own death at the hands of the Eschphene Leader, but like then, he persevered and became what he needed to be.

Drew was frantic to get it to the Wolf-Spirit and help her. There was no way he could break Henry’s hold around his waist, so in his desperation Drew sent a Compulsion to the incarnations.

Save her!

A massive wave of Power came out of Drew. He had never called on all of his other selves at once in such a manner, but they obeyed him. Most of them were close to insane from their lifetimes of abuse, yet they loved the Wolf-Spirit as much as Drew because she brought them comfort and protected them. With the multitude of incarnations out of him, he felt empty.

The tide of The Master’s memories met with the wave of Drew’s manifestations, the two fighting over the Wolf-Spirit; one trying to save her and the other destroy her. The Wolf-Spirit drew both forces away with her, further from Drew and Henry, and they quickly lost sight of her in the darkness. The horrifying sounds of her snarls and yelps grew distant, tearing at both father and son.

With all his enhanced speed Henry turned and rushed to the Well and as Drew’s screams blended with the screams from the Well Henry jumped, sending them down into The Master’s deepest, darkest memory.

 

The Physical Realm – Waffle House Parking Lot

 

Cavall leapt, immediately on the offensive, surprising The Master and biting savagely into the flesh of his leg, gnashing while clamping down with all his strength. The Master howled more in surprise than pain and swiped a clawed hand to kill the hound.

Cavall was a cunning fighter and killed many wild animals much larger and stronger than himself. Amazingly fast for a dog of his size, he was already away and positioning himself behind his opponent, ripping at his hamstrings.

The Master’s left leg went out from under him when his tendons severed, and as he dropped Cavall leapt for his throat.

The Master had never fought a creature like Cavall, whose teeth bit through his Dark Shields. The beast’s Power came from both sides of the Veil, its attacks potent in both, and The Master felt them.

For minutes Cavall pressed The Master in a savage flurry of attacks, defending the unconscious Warriors, Brothers to his most recent Master and the Steward among them.

The Curse healed The Master, but the constant barrage renewed his anger. Rage fueled his unearthly speed, and he finally caught the dog in his massive clawed hand. Cavall struggled and writhed to break free, tearing at The Master’s hand as much as he was able.

They made eye contact, silver to black, and The Master knew the dog saw through his Darkness. It startled him and made him uncomfortable. One thing he absolutely detested was anyone or anything seeing him for what he was.

He raised the squirming dog above his head, intending to slam him against the pavement and crush the life out of him when another sound caught his ear. He turned just in time to see a black Suburban glowing brightly with runes, racing towards him.

Albrecht floored the gas pedal on the big vehicle, aiming straight for the giant form of The Master. The runes etched in the metal of the frame glowed brightly as soon as they were within proximity of The Master’s Dark Aura.

The crushing impact of the multi-ton vehicle was substantial and backed by the Magic of the runes it dealt The Master a serious blow, knocking him back nearly twenty feet and onto his back. Cavall went flying and yelped as he hit the pavement, stunned but alive.

Albrecht and Aaron leapt out at the last second, rolling to safety and nimbly coming to their feet. What they saw, though, shocked them to their core, confronted with Ken’s body, broken and twisted, along with the other unconscious men. The abruptness of the image, of Ken’s handsome face staring at them with his neck at the odd angle, was something they weren’t prepared for.

Inside one another, the two men wailed at the scene before them. Even as they looked and the tears flowed, Ken’s Soul lifted out of his chest hovering over his body, a beautiful orb of liquid yellow light.

“Oh, my son!”

The whispered sound of grief in Aaron’s voice tore Albrecht’s heart. Albrecht shared Aaron’s emotion; they were One, and loved their adoptive sons with all their Heart. The warrior in Albrecht knew they could not delay pressing their attack if the other men were to have any hope of survival, and he poured their sudden emotions into their Centering Flame, fanning it white-hot.

In all their long years together, Albrecht had never before seen the look that crossed Aaron’s face at that moment. It was terrifying, a mix of profound grief and anger beyond anything he had ever felt. Even when Charisa was killed by The Master, he hadn’t felt such pain.

“YOU WILL PAY FOR THIS!”

The Master heard Aaron’s cry in with his Mind and ears. His age-old enemy, Aaron Thomas, was at hand. He shook his head, clearing it, and smiled beneath the cloud of Darkness covering his face, baring his crooked yellow teeth.

“How I have longed for this moment, Aaron Thomas. You finally dare face me! You and your lapdog priest!”

Fresh lightning ripped through the skies as Aaron unleashed a Mental and Spiritual attack on The Master such as had never been seen. Aaron’s rage fueled his Centering Flame, and all his years of arcane mastery and mental disciplines were brought to bear.

Ken made a comment years before about what Aaron might be capable of. His exact words were:

 

“You’re right. But I tell ya B, I don’t think we’ve seen what the doc is capable of. My guess is if it comes down to a fight, he’s gonna be like Yoda and whip some ass like we’ve never seen.”

 

The sheer ferocity of the doctor’s attack took The Master off guard. His Black Shields absorbed most of the attacks, but many made it through. Albrecht attacked as well, and the two-pronged engagement kept him occupied. Cavall recovered and rejoined the fray, howling and snarling, pressing against The Master’s Shield with his own Power, ferociously rending his flesh.

Again, for a short time, The Master was held at bay, but Albrecht soon realized their efforts were futile. Aaron did as well, and knew they were most likely going to die with their sons. They were like ants against The Curse. Its Power was unlimited while theirs was entirely finite, and the emotional charge that fueled their initial attacks was already fading as reasoning reasserted itself.

The Master stood back up and bellowed his rage, strengthening his Shields. His Blackness deepened, and their attacks became inconsequential. He turned, ignoring them, and saw Ken’s Soul bobbing softly over his chest.

 

The Valley of Yggdrasil

 

Lane and Bryan drifted in the darkness closing around them, Lane holding his husband, as their bodies breathed their last. Their emotions were spent, and all that was left was their love for each other, and red for their Brothers. They would be reunited in Heaven at least, and the troubles of the Physical Realm would be behind them. Then… who knew? As Nephilim they were Spiritual beings, and their existence would continue; they had been assured of that, but what roles they would play in the grand scheme of things they had no idea.

If he had the strength, Bryan would have chuckled at the thoughts in Lane’s Mind as they lay dying. What would they do in Heaven? Play strip poker all day? Make endless love to one another? Would they have to mow the grass? Would Tolkien and C.S. Lewis let him ask all the questions he ever wanted to?

Their eyes were closed as they lay together. The Black Vortex screeched its victory as one massive Talon drove down to obliterate the two Warriors.

Neither man saw it coming with their eyes, but they felt the cold approaching. With their sense of Time nearly still, the cold started slowly. They had never felt cold in the place where they were One. Their naked bodies always felt perfect together, neither hot nor cold, unless it was sweat from the heat of their lovemaking.

A sudden warmth, profoundly comforting, washed through Bryan, counteracting the cold Darkness about to strike. It tugged at his Heart first but quickly turned into an irresistible pull. A voice like mountains grating filled his Mind and Heart, resounded through his awareness. Lane, One with his husband, heard it as well:

“IT IS NOT YOUR TIME TO SLEEP, ABBA. I AM WITH YOU. MY FIRE IS YOURS. BURN THEM.”

In their Minds, Bryan and Lane saw Leroy in his cave, wide awake and looking at them. It was unlike anything Bryan had ever felt. His eyes popped open, now Golden Orbs with slitted pupils. The Light of Bryan’s Soul, now matched by the color of his eyes, gently bobbing inside the hole in his chest, exploded.

Dragon Fire erupted from his body a fraction of a second before the Black Talon touched him. His body bowed with the Power exploding out of him, and the Black Talon turned to ash. Lane’s arms tightened, and he almost lost his grip as Bryan’s powerful body tensed and bucked.

Bryan became a conduit for Leroy’s Fire, and because they were One, Lane did as well. It was a harsh Healing, but Lane wove a thick thread and thrust it into their bodies. There was so much Power they didn’t know what to do with it all. The holes in their chests closed, and their bones and organs regenerated; the only evidence of their wounds were the tattered holes in their Kevlar Suits. The skin of their muscular chests and backs, exposed by the holes, shone with a heavy coat of sweat from the Healing and the heat of the Fire around them.

An image of Leroy’s head formed in the Fire exuding from Bryan, and as Lane added his own renewed strength the image shot upward, consuming the Black Cloud and turning every part it touched to ash.

Their sudden and unexpected relief was overwhelming, knowing they were alive and together at least. The tears and sweat on their handsome faces mixed. Lane hugged Bryan tightly from behind and kissed his neck, whispering in his ear, “I’ll be right back.”

Lane’s Avatar brightened, and he once again put his presence into the animals of the Valley. Those that had fallen to the Demons he restored, Healing their broken bodies and reconnecting their Spirits. The Demons of the Pale, in the midst of destroying everything, paused as they witnessed the new and unexpected attack on the Black Cloud.

Lane teleported from Demon to Demon, ready with his razor-sharp chains of Light and shredding their existence. His attacks happened so quickly they were nearly simultaneous.

Black tendrils that before attacked the Tree, now writhed in pain as their Darkness was rapidly burning to nothing. In desperation, the Will behind the Black Vortex threw its remaining strength into its Shields, but Leroy’s Fire burned through even that.

Bryan knew his Avatar could alter the Fire into a purifying Light that would reset the Darkness. With that thought, Bryan’s Avatar lit up, and the sparks of color from it were visible in the Dragon Fire bursting forth from his body.

The Light of the Dragon Fire turned liquid and started splashing against the Black Shields. The terror of that possibility shattered what Will was left in the Cloud and it broke apart, vanishing back to the corners of Creation from whence it was called. Once again, the Darkness was broken and thrown back, but this time much diminished and would take longer to reform.

Seconds later, Lane was back with Bryan, who stood bathed in Dragon Fire. It licked over his form in a manner Lane had seen once before. The Fire magnified everything in Bryan; he exuded virility, and his form was so perfect Lane started to tear up. Mere seconds ago they lay dying, and now they were whole, and their goal accomplished.

The relief in both men at being alive and together again was intense, and Leroy felt the connection between them and their gratitude for saving them. The great beast was also aware of the fierce hole in both men where their Brothers should be.

Bryan turned, reaching for his husband, and they hugged each other tightly. Their relief washed over them, and the Fire dimmed to a low pulse. Lane, also filled with Leroy’s Fire had the same effect on Bryan; the Power running in them was Primal and a force of nature. It ignited their libidos, and they both laughed at the thought of how Bryan always gave Ken and Brad shit for getting turned on by each other in a fight.

Bryan couldn’t think of anything else to say and yelled out, “GOOD DRAGON! I LOVE YOU, YOU BIG FUCKER!”

He sent his love of the great beast with his words, wrapping his Heart and Soul around Leroy. Lane was Listening, and what he heard made his smile just as bright. Bryan heard it through his lover; the cavern where Leroy rested was filled with the sound of his purring.

 

Tag, Olive, and Raphael

 

Raphael, still unconscious in the front seat, sat slumped between Tag and Olive. His head rested on Olive’s shoulder, and she occasionally had to close his mouth to stop his snoring and keep him from drooling on her.

Bullet sat on the floorboard, curled up on Olive’s feet.

She was stiff and wanted to resettle herself, but she was pinned by the man and the dog and murmured, “I swear I kin hardly move!”

Tag leaned forward, holding the steering wheel, and looked up at the sky.

“Mamma, will you look at dat?”

The sky ahead was black as night, covered with boiling clouds. Lighting rippled continuously, and they began to feel and hear the thunder. The image of Yggdrasil filled the sky with lightning dancing among its canopy. Small balls of Light, Spirits called by Loy, swam amidst the branches with the lightning.

At the base of the Tree was a mighty glow, and they knew it was ‘their boyz’ fighting the Darkness. There were flashes there too. Whatever the angel did to them before he expired enabled them to See into the Spiritual Realm. They were witnessing the Battle between The Order and The Master, something humans were not intended to see.

Driving was difficult with all the cars blocking the roads, so Tag mostly drove on the gore, or the shoulder if it was wide enough. He still estimated they had a few miles to go when there was an enormous explosion of Darkness, and the Tree began to fade.

“Oh, no. That don’t look good!”

“Hurry, Papa!”

Whether it was fate or good chance, the road opened up. Most cars were off to the side, and Tag sped up, desperate to reach his friends. He had no idea what he could possibly do in such a fight, but he was a soldier like they were, and would do whatever he was called to do.

Olive prayed, and was heard. She had no idea Lula, Frank, and the Dove were waiting for them at the Waffle House.

 

The Master’s Psyche – His First Memories

 

Henry and Drew landed on soft grass. The sun was bright in the blue sky, and the air fresh and clean. They were under a canopy of giant ferns, and the sounds of birds and animals surrounded them.

The place felt strange, but in a good way. Henry scrambled and moved to Drew immediately.

“Honey, are you alright?”

Drew rolled over, seemingly fine, but his face was red, splotchy, and wet with tears.

Henry didn’t want to stay where they were, not knowing if anything could come after them through the Well. He picked Drew up, hugging him tightly, and Drew’s arms and legs went around his waist and neck. He buried his face against Henry’s neck, sobbing. Henry rubbed his back but didn’t say anything yet, not wanting to make it worse.

Henry stood and looked around. The humidity was almost overpowering. He was already sweaty from his efforts in breaking the chains, but in seconds he was soaked. His Kevlar suit was designed to breathe and help sweat evaporate to keep him cool, but it couldn’t keep up with the heat and humidity of wherever they were.

Henry said, “Come on, Tiger, I don’t want to stay here. Let’s find someplace higher up so we can see where we are.”

Without the Wolf-Spirit to guide them, Henry felt at a loss as to where to go. His Mind wandered, and he wondered how the guys were faring in the fight with The Master. He wondered what Cavall’s growl meant, and hoped it wasn’t a bad sign. The Master said, ‘once I kill the rest,' and he prayed to God none of them were dead.

Cautious, Henry quickly moved away from the spot where they landed. He noted the area, trying to remember it in case they needed to find their way back. He wasn’t sure he could regardless; they were inside the Mind of a powerful deranged maniac, and anything could change.

He moved towards some rocks and saw a ledge too sheer to climb, with the top shaded by other rocks.

“Drew, get on my back Tiger and hold tight. I’m going to jump.”

They practiced the maneuver in the gym many times, and Drew was good at holding on. He didn’t say anything and did as he was told. With his enhanced speed and strength, Henry took off and leapt. The muscles of his legs bunched and his quads thickened, propelling him up and onto the ledge.

The rock shelf was large, half sunny and half shaded. A slight breeze felt soothing over his sweaty face. Moving back from the edge to be less visible, Henry looked around. He saw the Valley in the memories of his Brothers, and from his vantage point he recognized Yggdrasil from their description. He marveled at its size and beauty, but he was more concerned about his son at the moment.

Henry moved into the shade and knelt so Drew could slide off his back. Drew stood with his head down, breathing heavy and sniffling. Drew sweltered in the heat from the heavy material, and Henry pulled back the hoodie and unzipped it

“Let’s get this off you, Tiger.”

Drew’s face was red from crying, but he was also hot and sweaty just in the few minutes since their arrival. Henry removed Drew’s t-shirt as well and rolled his pant cuffs up as much as he could so they were more like long shorts. He rolled up the t-shirt and stuffed into the front pocket of the hoodie and tied the hoodie around Drew’s waist, not wanting to leave it in case they needed it again.

Henry stripped off most of his gear down to the basic shorts. He didn’t expect he needed to be bulletproof in the Valley. He would rather fight freely with no restrictions if it came down to it, rather than sweat to death in the uncomfortable suit.

He folded the sections he removed and used a Velcro strap to attach them to the band that served as a belt around his trim waist.

When he was done, he knelt at eye level with his son. He gently cupped Drew’s chin, raising his face. Fresh tears spilled as Drew threw his arms around Henry’s neck.

“Sh..she’s gone, Daddy.”

Drew barely got the words out he was sobbing so hard.

“I know honey, I know. Let it out. I loved her too.”

“I’m going to miss her.”

“Me too, Tiger. But right now, we have to be big boys. We need to keep moving. I know how much she meant to you, but your uncles are fighting to give us time.”

Drew moved his head, resting it on Henry’s shoulder. Henry leaned his face down and kissed the top of Drew’s head.

Drew’s voice was so quiet Henry almost couldn’t hear him.

“Do you think they’re okay?”

“I hope so, honey. We have to trust them, like they trust us.”

Henry pulled Drew into his Heart, giving comfort to his son. He felt his own grief over the loss of the Wolf-Spirit. She was a loyal and trusted companion, and guarded Drew’s Dreams. He owed her his son’s sanity, and probably his own. He loved her too but Drew loved her in the way little boys love all dogs. Henry felt Drew’s pain at losing her; he felt he abandoned her, and it tore him up. It also tore at Henry to see such hurt in his son. Aside from his grief, Drew was afraid Loy would be mad at him.

Honey, uncle Loy won’t be mad at you! She sacrificed herself to save us and let us move on so we can do what needs to be done. She was heroic and did exactly what uncle Loy wanted her to do; protect you! Loy loves you as much as I do.

What Drew saw in Henry caused fresh tears too. When Henry stripped off his Kevlar, and stood with most of his virile, muscular body revealed, sweaty and shining in the sun, it affected Drew. The musky aroma of his body as he knelt down and the feel of his hot skin, wet with sweat over hard muscle, did something to Drew. It was the manliness of his father that affected him, the solidity, and Henry’s ability to Protect him.

It wasn’t sexual and reminded Drew of the Lab, in the gym with his dad and uncles. He loved to work out with them, and he was used to their sweaty, warm bodies holding him tight. The smells and feeling of being safe and protected permeated his being. He remembered the night he ran away, at his locker and surrounded by the smell of them. Henry’s appearance helped drive the fear out of him, and even some of the grief over losing the Wolf-Spirit.

He trusted his dad and his uncles implicitly. He saw their faith in him, and returned it tenfold.

Father and son basked in each other, where time didn’t move. Henry held Drew until he felt better and then took them back up.

Henry asked quietly, “Are you feeling better? Ready to go?”

Drew nodded ‘yes’ and leaned in to give Henry a big kiss on his cheek.

Henry walked back to the ledge and looked around, saying, “I’m not sure which way to go, Tiger.”

Henry shifted Drew’s weight to sit on his hip. Drew twisted his torso to look around, and it was then he noticed it. He didn’t see it at first because Henry held him close, but the tether was back. It came out of his chest, and the other end was at the Tree.

Drew pointed towards the Tree and said, “That way.”

Henry was hesitant but decided to ask. He always promised Drew he would be honest.

“Do you sense him, honey?”

Drew nodded.

“Do you know if he can sense you?”

“I don’t know, daddy. He could before we came here when I was in the hotel, but that was the real him.”

“Okay. Well, let’s see this as a good thing. We know where to go, right?”

Drew nodded his head.

Henry set Drew down and knelt again, so he was at eye level.

“Okay, Drew. We know where to go. This valley isn’t all that big so it shouldn’t take us to long to find him. If anything happens… if there’s another trap… let me take care of it. If that happens, I want you to run as fast as you can to him and do what you have to do, alright? Can you promise me you’ll do that?”

“But, daddy…”

Henry gripped Drew by his shoulders and looked directly into his eyes.

“No buts. I promise you, Drew, with all my Heart, I will be alright. I will do whatever I have to, to protect you so you can do this. I’m strong honey, just like you. Together we’ll do this so your uncles can do their part. Are you with me on this?”

Drew looked into Henry’s green eyes. He put his little hands on Henry’s big shoulders. They felt like granite to him, and he felt Henry’s strength.

“Okay, Daddy.”

Henry grinned and said, “Good boy!”

Henry tickled Drew’s stomach, getting a giggle, and he smiled at his son. Once again, Drew’s laughter faded too quickly, but he was still able to laugh.

Henry ruffled Drew’s hair and stood up.

“I know I’ve said this a lot, Drew, but I love you, and I’m very proud of you.”

“I love you too, Daddy.”

Henry glanced down to gauge the distance.

“I’ll get us down, and you can stay on my shoulders until we get closer. Sound like a plan?”

Drew nodded and exclaimed, “Sounds like a plan, Stan!”

Henry laughed, saying, “Let me guess. Your uncle Lane taught you that, didn’t he?”

“Yes, sir.”

Henry shook his head in amusement as he picked Drew up and jumped down the thirty or so feet. He slowed his perception of time and absorbed the impact with precision, rolling his body while encapsulating Drew against his torso with his powerful arms. He sprang to his feet and then flipped Drew onto his back. Drew held up his part of the maneuver flawlessly. He sat on Henry’s shoulders with his legs draped around and crossed at the ankles and his arms wrapped loosely around the top of Henry’s head. Henry held his fist up and Drew fist-bumped him at their success.

As soon as Drew was comfortable and secure, Henry took off at a brisk pace, faster than Drew would be able to keep up. Henry was careful because he didn’t know the rules of the place they were in. He wasn’t sure if animals would really act like animals. If anything they met was a memory, it might ignore them. On the other hand, if it was a trap, he had to be fully prepared.

 

<><>

 

Drew guided Henry, keeping him pointed in the right direction. It seemed odd to hear animals and birds all around them, yet not see anything alive. Henry listened to the doctor talk about how sounds relate to memory and he assumed the noises of the area were a comfort to The Master when he was a boy. Henry had a difficult time thinking of The Master as a boy before he turned into the monster they knew.

Drew had to resettle himself frequently because the humidity had them both sweating heavily, and he slipped periodically from Henry’s movement. Henry thought it odd that neither one of them felt thirsty after sweating so much. He remembered the pocket reality in Africa Loy and Rick became trapped in; it seemed some of the same odd rules applied to the imaginary place he and Drew were in; it was real yet not real. Since they were physically present it had to be real, yet it was inside the Mind of The Master. Rather than give himself a headache thinking about it Henry let it drop, thankful they didn’t need to worry about food or water.

Henry and Drew moved quickly for over an hour. The Valley hadn’t looked that big from the rocky ledge he used to survey the area, but it proved to be larger than he thought. Again, direction mattered, but distance had no meaning.

After a while, Henry set Drew down and climbed a tree, and let out a ‘fuck me!’ when he realized the Tree was just as far away as it was when they started, only from a different vantage point. He wasn’t sure if that was a trap or some kind of protection mechanism The Master put in place, or if it was just how the place worked.

He thought hard, trying to remember everything Brad or any of the guys said about traveling across the Veil in the Spiritual Realm.

“Drew.”

“Yes, Daddy?”

“I want you to try something for me. Think about the other end of that tether, of your brother on the other end, and hold that image. Can you do that for me?”

Henry stopped moving so Drew could concentrate. Drew’s centering flame was calm and steady, and Henry gave his leg a light squeeze of encouragement.

Drew hugged his dad’s head, pressing his cheek against the top of Henry’s sweaty hair. He exhaled, and rested in the strength of his dad, letting the image come he feared for so long.

The first time the Eschphene showed themselves on Earth, they used Drew’s birth father Doug to kidnap him. While Drew hung suspended in the air amidst a ring of sigil-covered rocks, the Stone, the instrument of his first death, orbited his unconscious body. The Eschphene Leader used the Stone in a Ritual to reveal the connection between Drew and the Stone, proving he was the Second Soul. During that Ritual Drew’s unconscious Mind relived the memory of his first death at the hands of his brother.

Early on it came in flashes, mostly dreams, and often nightmares. The Wolf-Spirit kept those dreams at bay after Loy summoned her, but before her protection Drew often relived the act of his first death, or one of the subsequent deaths from the thousands of Soul fragments that lived within him.

In in first memory, he knew what his brother looked like as a young boy. As time went on, Drew consciously remembered more of what happened, but he suppressed those memories, hiding them in that secret place no one could see, not even his Uncle Brad. Later, the Wolf-Spirit helped hold them at bay because he Dreamed it over and over, but the first images were safely hidden. He knew one day he would need them, and that day finally arrived.

Drew was conflicted, wanting to obey Henry, but also wanting to delay the inevitable. Drew realized his uncles were fighting his brother in the real world, and he and Henry needed to hurry, but he was still afraid.

Resigned, Drew called the image of his brother, holding it firmly in his Mind; large for his age and muscular, with his ruddy skin and crooked teeth. His teeth weren’t yellow yet, and his body was covered with coarse hair, almost like fur.

Drew’s vision tunneled through the translucent tether, and he saw his brother drinking water from the stream flowing by the roots of the Tree. The same stream where Luke introduced himself to Ken and Brad on their first visit to the Valley; the place of his first death.

Henry sensed a shift, and suddenly they were in a large copse of ferns with the lower branches of Yggdrasil looming overhead. The sun shone down at an angle, and it seemed mid-morning.

Drew tapped lightly on the side of Henry’s neck, the signal for him to get down. Henry silently reached back and flipped Drew over and set him on his feet.

He’s close, Daddy. He’s drinking water right over there.

Drew pointed through the ferns towards a rocky outcropping.

Good boy, Drew. You’re awesome, Tiger. Let’s get a little closer.

Together they moved as quietly as they could. The area was still filled with the sounds of birds, and occasionally a breeze picked up, rustling leaves and giving a brief but welcome respite from the heat and humidity.

Henry and Drew saw him at the same time, squatting on two feet, almost froglike in his posture, splashing water over himself. He wore a happy expression and made sounds of pleasure as the cool, fresh water ran over him.

Henry watched and wondered how the young boy he saw could transform into the monster he was destined to become. He steeled his Will, knowing what he saw was a memory and not the real boy… yet he was real enough to change the fate of the world.

Henry tensed as Luke unexpectedly appeared, perched in a branch not far from the boy. Luke was clearly visible, but the young version of The Master seemed unaware of his presence. Henry knew it couldn’t be Luke; the Oathstone kept him bound to his promise not to interfere. He deduced it must be a shade of Luke, a representation of the Voice that spoke to the young Master in his Mind. All through The Master’s childhood, Luke whispered in his thoughts, planting the seeds of his downfall and laying the groundwork for his later ascension.

Daddy! That’s the bad man!

It’s not really Him, honey, just a memory of him, but I’m sure that’s the last trap protecting your brother.

As they watched, Luke spoke to the young Master, telling him how clever and smart he was, how special. In the Master’s memory, he heard Luke’s voice, so Drew and Henry heard it as well.

You know he wants to be like you. He wants to become stronger than you, so he can kill you and be the only one who is special. You must kill him first. You know this is true. Look into his eyes the next time you see him, and you will see the truth of what I say.

The young version of The Master shook his head, trying to clear his thoughts. His smile faded and he hugged his knees tightly, hiding his face. He had no defense against Luke, knowing nothing about the Power of his Soul or how to Shield himself. He never stood a chance.

Henry’s anger surged at the injustice, much like he railed against the injustice of Drew’s situation. How could the lives of these two boys, both so utterly tragic in their own way, control the fate of Mankind?

Henry and Drew continued to watch and listen. Luke’s words were relentless and masterful in how he played on the boy’s emotions, knowing just what to say, and how to play him like a fiddle.

Henry pulled Drew into his Heart, and they became One.

Okay, honey, this is it. Are you ready?

Drew’s face was impassive, but Henry sensed his nervousness and a little fear. He pulled Drew snuggly against him, his eyes bright, knowing his son was scared but willing to continue. His bravery was staggering, and to see it and feel it humbled Henry. Drew hugged him back just as tight, his small arms around Henry’s solid shoulders.

I’m so fucking proud of you Drew. You’re the bravest little boy in the world.

Drew giggled at his F-bomb, which is what Henry wanted.

Promise not to tell on me?

I promise.

Drew’s smile faded faster than Henry would have liked, but it was to be expected.

Okay, Tiger, I’m going to get Luke away from him so you can do your part. You know what you have to do, right?

Yes, Daddy. He needs to tell me he’s sorry, and for me to forgive him.

Henry thought of a thousand things he wanted to say. What a good boy Drew was… How lucky Henry was to have him as a son… How brave he was… How he didn’t deserve any of the life he had… How he wished Liz was still alive and they could just live their lives together being happy… The thoughts continued, but he said none of them.

The white lock in Henry’s hair shone brighter in the sun. Even with all the thoughts running through his Heart and Mind, Henry felt it wise not to say anything, knowing it would only upset Drew, and he wanted to keep his son focused.

The Wall in Henry trembled for a fraction of a second as his Heart wailed against it, but he pushed his thoughts back, not letting Drew hear them. He would share them later once Drew was successful so his son would know how much he cared.

His eyes bright, Henry leaned forward and kissed the top of Drew’s head.

I love you, Tiger. I’m going to sneak away and attract Luke’s attention. When he’s gone, you’ll be clear.

Drew nodded his assent and Henry slipped into the bushes, leaving Drew alone.

 

The Physical Realm – Waffle House Parking Lot

 

The Stone lay on the ground, discarded by The Master after he flung off his Amulet and bellowed his challenge to his Brother and The Order. As he tore up chunks of concrete the Stone rolled about, bouncing here and there, ending up just outside the window of the diner.

Miss Lula saw it on the ground, and its image reflected in the depths of her Ageless Eyes. Throughout the Battle between The Master against Ken, Brad, and the Team, the Stone acted as a witness to final events. It was the Instrument that brought the Curse into being, and it was fitting it be present at the End. So many Endings ended up back at their Beginning.

Just as the Stone remained lost and out of sight for tens of thousands of years, unnoticed by anyone but God, it vanished from the parking lot, but its reflection stayed in her eyes, once again covered in blood.

 

Drew and The Master

 

Drew kept still, waiting. When he was sure Henry was gone and he was alone, fresh tears spilled down his cheeks. His Heart swayed back and forth between that of a six-year-old boy, and the wisdom of an eighty-thousand-year-old Soul. He knew what he needed to do, but he was terrified. He felt the arms of his dad and his uncles around him, letting their love hold him up. Drew remembered their bravery and steadfast courage to do whatever they needed to do to keep him safe, and it strengthened his resolve.

His brother soon stood up and moved down the path, quickly vanishing from sight. Luke dropped nimbly from his perch, but as he landed a White rope of energy shot through the trees, grabbing him and yanking him back.

Drew’s words were barely legible, “I love you, Daddy. I’m sorry.”

Drew channeled a small bit of Power, and his form shifted into the image of his first self. He was no longer wearing his jeans with his hoodie tied around his waist. He had the same ruddy skin and fur as his brother, but he was smaller and leaner. In his Dreams, he saw his first self often enough to have the image locked in his Mind.

Drew remembered everything that transpired the day of his death. He knew his brother would call him to gather food like they used too. The memory they were in was a loop, repeatedly playing in The Master’s Mind. The torture of it became too much to bear, so he locked it away in the Well in the deepest part of his Mind, blocking it and hiding it from his conscious Mind.

As Drew stepped out from the cover of the ferns, he was startled when an image of himself appeared by the water as the memory continued. With another trickle of Power Drew held it, and he moved forward and merged with it. He didn’t feel the same vertigo Henry did. He belonged to the time of the memory, even though he was physically a child of the twenty-first century.

As he remembered, his brother’s thoughts entered his Mind, not in words but meanings, and he knew the intent.

Brother?

I’m here.

The sorrow of his own memories came foremost to his Mind; he remembered being alone and ostracized by his brother. They had been so close as they grew up together, the first two Souls communicating Mind to Mind. Their Power was raw and unchanneled, and they knew nothing of Merging or becoming One.

I’m sorry I haven’t spent time with you. Would you like to gather food together, as we used to?

The elation of his first self at his inclusion washed over Drew. Maybe things would go back to normal, and they could be close again!

Yes!

His brother stepped out of the woods, beckoning him. As soon as Drew moved towards him, his brother took off into the foliage and Drew quickly lost sight of him. Drew followed, curious as to why he didn’t wait.

He remembered all of it and calmed himself in his Centering Flame. Holding out his hand, he Summoned the Stone. It appeared in his hand, pulled from the Physical Realm as Miss Lula saw it vanish. It was tied to him. He loaned it to Thomin, the Archangel of the Vault for his Collection, but Thomin knew the Stone was bound to the boy. He was happy to let Drew have it occasionally, as long as he always got it back.

Drew didn’t realize the reason Thomin didn’t mind him ‘borrowing’ the Stone was because he knew, as part of his Province, the Stone had more of a role to play and would be of even greater significance soon.

Drew moved down the trail and dropped the Stone on the path so it would be clearly visible, and then hid himself. Thunder rumbled through the Valley echoing the impact of the Stone hitting the ground.

The sky, bright blue and cloudless before, began to darken. Creation watched the events that had repeated for eons. This time, however, was different; an opportunity was present that had never happened before. The greatest wrong since Luke’s Fall had a chance to be corrected and reset the course of everything.

The young Master doubled back, thinking his brother was in the woods looking for him while the words of the Voice replayed in his Mind.

You must kill your brother before he kills you. Only then will you be safe and special.

He stumbled on a rock and picked it up looking at it, and an idea entered in his Mind as though it was a seed. The stone had jagged edges and fit nicely in the palm of his hand; it would suit his purpose perfectly.

He moved to the water’s edge, below the rocky ledge. Bracing himself, he used the stone to gash his leg. Bleeding, he lay on the ground with the Stone hidden beneath him, crying out in pain.

As the young Master ripped the flesh of his leg, lightning flared in the sky, and the thunder became louder. The upper branches of the Tree began swaying as a strong wind picked up.

Drew hesitated. Now that it came down to it, he faltered. He wanted his mom Liz. He wanted Henry to hold him. He wanted his uncles around him. In his Mind, they kept him, but he wanted to touch them physically and feel their love. They loved him so much! He felt it through their touch every time they picked him up, or when he sat on their laps or climbed on their strong backs. It took working with Doctor Aaron a long time before Drew felt he deserved to be Loved. After the abuse of his father Doug, he believed he deserved to be punished and feel pain.

To willingly go back to the place where he felt such pain was the only way he knew to identify with his brother. That was how he felt Compassion for The Master; he knew the pain his brother was in. His brother never had a dad like Henry, or a mom like Liz, or angelic Uncles whose Souls touched him in ways he could never have imagined. His brother was tricked by The Dark One, the being Drew instinctively knew as the bad man.

Drew’s thread in the Tapestry tied him to The Master and through him to Luke; that was how Drew knew about The Dark One.

He worked himself up and rushed forward, acting out the memory, telling himself it would only hurt for a few seconds and it couldn’t be worse than the cigarette burns or broken bones. He remembered the pain though, and it did hurt worse, because this pain would take him away from everyone he loved for a very long time, perhaps forever.

Rushing to his brother’s side, he knelt down and turned him over. A powerful feeling of déjà vu hit Drew; he had done this before. Just as in his memory, his brothers’ arm swung swiftly and savagely, and the Stone hit his temple. Blinding pain shot through his head. He knew another one would follow, and it did, and bones in his skull shattered. It hurt as much as he remembered; even more because he did it willingly, for everyone he loved.

The crack of thunder accompanying the impact of the first blow was heard in all Creation and the laughter of The Dark One with it. Heaven heard the malice in Luke’s voice. An even louder crack of thunder followed with the second blow, not only the sound but a tremble throughout the Earth.

Thunder and Lightning filled the skies. Rain poured as the Heavens wept over what was happening. Creation groaned, and the laughter of the Dark One echoed through the Valley, the world, and the Heavens.

Even though it prolonged his pain, Drew slowed his perception of time while he still could. It was hard, the hardest thing he’d ever done, but he held on because he had to, just like Henry.

He had to, in order to say the words he needed to say in his brother’s Mind, to let him know he had been tricked by The Dark One.

Y.. you didn’t have to d…do th…this. I always l… loved… you. You al.. always… were, a… and… always…will… be spec…special t..to… me.

He sped up his perception of time and steeled himself for the final blow. Drew remembered Henry’s last thoughts as his dad lay dying in the fight with the Eschphene Leader; how courageous and stoic Henry was, and it gave Drew the bravery to push through. He matched Henry’s courage and the courage of his uncles. He saw it in them, and he could do no less. They fought so hard to save him, but this time he would save them.

I…it’s okay. Y..you…didn’t h..have … to.. do ..this. Y..you.. were… tricked. The V..Voice lied. I…love… you….

The Master heard his brother’s words, this time not as feelings and emotions but as words, just like the Voice. He understood them because they were Mind to Mind, and from Drew’s Heart. The young Master felt his brother’s love in his words, and he realized how wrong he had been. He had been tricked, and the agony over that realization hit him hard.

He knelt down and grabbed Drew in his arms, crying, and cradling his brother’s body. Drew’s last thought, not in words, brought him comfort. As Drew lay with his brother’s arms around him, he knew he wasn’t alone at the end like he thought. He was with his brother.

The young Master smelled something, and he looked down to see the Stone covered in his brother’s blood, smoking. His brother twitched, startling him, as the nerves in his body fired even though he was already dead.

He knew the body in his arms was lifeless. There was some intangible difference; he knew his brother was gone, and the irrevocable nature of his action washed over him. It was final, and he would never see his brother again. The Voice lied to him! He had no words, but his Mind shouted out to the Heavens.

What have I done!?

He cried and wailed and hugged his brother to him.

I want him back!

God was silent, and the young Master heard no answer. Nature reflected the violence of his act as rain, thunder, and lightning filling the skies. The Voice was gone, and he was alone. The image of his brother in his arms changed back to Drew, the illusion fading with his death.

The young Master looked to the Heavens and cried as he rocked Drew’s body in his arms, filled with regret.

 

 

Waffle House, Atlanta, GA

Aaron, Albrecht, Tag, and Olive

 

Amidst their attacks on The Master, Aaron and Albrecht reached for the Minds of their sons but the Black Shroud covered them, preventing access or aid. The Master wanted them dead, and he kept them unconscious and defenseless until he was ready to kill them. Ken’s Soul continued to bob softly over his chest beneath the Shroud, its Light a constant reminder of everything occurring.

Albrecht knew it was only a matter of seconds before he and Aaron were done for. So far, they had managed to dodge or deflect his attacks, but neither of them was strong enough to survive a direct hit. The Curse was invoked, and the Power he wielded nearly limitless.

Yet, in desperation, they still attacked with everything in them. There was no plan, only grief-driven ferocity as the two men, the oldest partners in the history of man, fought their age-old Enemy with every bit of skill and Power they could muster. It wasn’t enough, but they were desperate to try and save the world and more importantly, to them, their sons.

Their adoptive sons were the key to everything, opening possibilities by their very existence. The love they could generate between other humans and the wisdom and leadership they exhibited in the fight, made it clear they were too important to lose. Even unconscious, they sent out ripples affecting events.

Albrecht was arguably the greatest human warrior who ever lived. He held that unofficial status in hand-to-hand combat and with most weapons. Áedán Mac Artur was the only human who ever lived that was Albrecht’s superior with a sword. Even though most people never knew it, because he was so unassuming about his abilities, Aaron was near Albrecht’s equal. Albrecht often teased him, saying if he practiced more, and ate less Long John Silver’s, he might be his equal.

As a trained warrior, Albrecht was always aware of his surroundings; he constantly looked, aware through his peripheral vision and fighter’s instincts. He caught movement out of the corner of his eye and was surprised to see a small panel truck racing towards them.

Aaron! Cav! Keep him faced towards the building!

They both moved, coordinating their efforts so The Master wouldn’t see the truck. As it got closer, he and Aaron were shocked to see Tag behind the wheel! He was supposed to be dead! Olive was beside him and another man, unconscious between them whom he didn’t recognize.

Even through their grief over Ken, their hearts were filled with wonder at seeing Tag and Olive alive. It was a miracle, and both men wondered how it could be so. Their house was inexplicably destroyed by residual energy from Allenor, the last being from God’s previous Creation. Their house wasn’t merely atomized, the Physical Realm around their house ceased to exist! There was no way they could have survived if they were home.

Albrecht reached for their Minds, and again was surprised to find them Shielded. The Shield was Angelic, Powerful and distinct. There was obviously a story there, but there was no way to talk to them Mentally.

For the second time in only a few minutes, The Master was rammed by a vehicle. The panel truck didn’t have runes and did little damage to him, but the momentum dealt him a solid physical blow. The airbags deployed, and while shaken, the occupants were alive.

They heard the crunch of bones in The Master’s body, but the Curse knitted him back together. The absurdity of the relentless attacks against him caused another explosion of rage. They wouldn’t die! As Powerful as he was, they still managed to fight him. The insanity driven by his primitive rage burst forth again.

Be ready love! This is going to hurt!

They were ready, and only by Aaron’s vast experience and knowledge did they live. He layered multiple Shields, each with the purpose of deflecting part of the incoming explosion. It was another principle of physics; he dampened the energy in steps until what was left would not kill them. It would hurt terribly, but it wouldn’t kill them.

The Shield covering Tag, Olive, Bullet, and Raphael shattered, but they were alive, and with the Shields over their Minds gone, Aaron pulled Tag and Olive into his Heart along with Albrecht.

 

<><>

 

Tag and Olive appeared naked in a dark place. Aaron and Albrecht were with them, also naked.

Tag spun around, startled and scared, asking, “Is we dead?”

Olive shrieked and immediately tried to cover herself, quickly moving behind her husband. Her eyes wide as saucers, she blurted out, “Lord have mercy!”

Aaron: We are in each other’s Souls, and time is nearly standing still. Our bodies are still above, where you just crashed the truck into The Master. In this place, we are naked to one another, in our Minds and our Hearts. This is the way Brad, Ken, and the others usually communicate. There is no need to be embarrassed.

“So, we ain’t dead?”

Tag didn’t sound convinced.

Albrecht: No Tag, but we might be in another few seconds if we don’t come up with a plan. We need to break that Shroud over the men and give them time to recover. None of us are strong enough to do that.

Aaron looked at his friends, knowing what a traumatic transition they just endured. Neither Tag nor Olive had merged with any of the men. They had Linked with them on a few occasions, but never more than that.

Aaron: We are so glad you are alive! We were devastated when we thought you dead!

Tag grinned, saying, “We got our own story ‘ta tell. It’s been a hard couple a’ weeks, let me tell ‘ya.”

Aaron: In this place, just think your words. Your feelings and emotions go with them, and it’s a much better way to communicate.

Tag started to move, but Olive wouldn’t let him.

Dag nabbit, Momma settle down! You got nuthin’ ‘ta be ashamed of!

Albrecht: Tag’s right Olive. You are a beautiful woman, and there’s no need for you to be ashamed here.

It’s not right!

Albrecht: Let me show you how I see you, Olive. Perhaps that will ease your discomfort.

Albrecht moved to Olive and cupped her cheek. With his touch, he gently showed her the beauty of her Soul as he saw it. Hers didn’t have the strength and majesty of the guys, but it was beautiful nonetheless. It was a warm, golden ball of liquid light, and her inner and outer beauty were evident.

You see Olive? This is what I see when I look at you. Please be at ease.

Her eyes were wide, and her hand went to her mouth as a tear fell down her aged cheek. Her reaction sounded just like the doctor when she thought: Oh my!

Aaron: I know this is sudden, but we need time to talk and strategize. We also need to understand how you are alive. All of us thought you perished in whatever happened.

Albrecht: Would you mind if we look into your memories? It will be much quicker that way. If you are uncomfortable with that, we can simply talk.

Tag started: It was an Angel. He was hurt bad, bleedin’ at the edge of the front yard. He couldn’t come in, on account’a the Protections on the house.

He paused for a second and then continued.

Yeah, why don’t ‘ya just take a peek.

Albrecht: Thank you, Tag. It won’t hurt.

The two men entered Tag’s Mind, pulling Olive with them, to get the account of their story from both perspectives. Olive and Tag shared everything with them. The presence and comfort of the two men were a balm to the old couple, especially after all they had been through on their journey back to Atlanta.

Both Aaron’s and Albrecht’s faces looked grim when they finished.

Tag: Sumptin’ wrong, doc?

Aaron: There is a great mystery in what happened, Taggart. The words of the Angel are alarming. Where he went, and what caused his death… after what our sons discovered in Africa… this does not bode well at all.

Albrecht: It may not matter if we don’t figure out a way out of this. We have no way of knowing how much longer Drew and Henry will be in their task. We simply don’t have the strength to break the barrier The Master has over our sons and hold him off long enough for them to recover. If they were functional again, we would at least stand a chance.

Sometimes Aaron hated his Intellect. Most often, Intellect was not a friend to Compassion and Love, and this was one of those times. A solution popped into Aaron’s Mind, as clear as day. Albrecht immediately saw it and shouted.

NO! Aaron, no!

Tag and Olive knew it must be something terrible by the sound of Albrecht’s voice. They had never heard him frightened or scared before, and his voice expressed both.

Aaron’s Mental voice was barely a whisper as he intoned the ancient phrase.

A Soul freely given, a willing sacrifice, has a thousand-fold power of one taken.

He repeated the same words Raphael spoke to Liz Hastings before she sacrificed her Soul to save Drew.

Aaron: It would give us the Power we need. You cannot deny that.

Albrecht: Then it should be me! You can wield the Power better than I.

Aaron: But I could not stand to live without you.

Albrecht practically screamed at him: You think I could!?

The emotional tension was so thick between the two men, it was tangible in that place. Tag and Olive, in the time since Tag’s rescue, lived in the Lab with the doctor, Albrecht, and ‘their boyz.’ They knew the story of the Battle, the War between the Light and the Dark, The Order and The Enemy. They had come face-to-face with The Master when he kidnapped them and held them hostage in a basement in an attempt to hurt their friends.

The old couple owed their friends so much; Tag’s life for starters, their safety, regenerating Tag’s leg, and finding them a new home. They had come to love everyone in their lives; Drew, Henry, Ken and Brad, and their Brothers, and the doctor and Albrecht. They witnessed firsthand the grief and sacrifice the men suffered, and watched them push themselves with their training.

Few humans knew the Truth about existence and the Balance, but Tag and Olive were firsthand witnesses to all of it and were warriors in that fight. Olive knew why the Angel told them to be in Atlanta and why their friends would need them so desperately.

Her soft, quiet voice cut through their argument and silenced both men.

Take me.

The three men turned to stare at her. Tag’s face turned grey when he realized what she said, and a second later his eyes showed his understanding.

Me too. There is two of us, and two ‘a you. One fer each of you. That’ll give you what you need to save the boyz, right?

Aaron paled.

We cannot ask you to do such a thing.

Olive almost sounded angry.

You isn’t asking! It’s the reason we is here! That Angel sent us for a purpose and dis is it!

Tag: You know it can’t be either’a you. You is too important to the boyz and the world. Me and Momma, well… we’ve had a good life, and we is blessed to have known all’a ya’ll. But this is something we can do.

Aaron: You have no idea what it truly means!

Olive had tears in her eyes, but she stood firm.

I know exactly what it means! I’ll never see my husband agin! I won’t be in Heaven, workin’ on my knitting and cookin’ chitlin’s for Taggart Keenan. Ever agin!

Tag: I’m wit Momma. I don’t wanna go on without her, and she don’t wanna go on without me… an the boyz… well, they’s the Light a da world! They gotta survive. They gotta carry everybody after all dis mess is settled!

Aaron: But Kenneth is gone! They cannot do that without him!

Tag: Can’t you use what we give’s ya to fix him?

Albrecht: No, Tag. Healing is not an ability Aaron or I have. That is related to their angelic Heritage.

Olive: Then fix them up so they can fix Ken.

Silence fell among the four of them. Aaron and Albrecht were One, and the groan in each of them over what Olive and Tag offered, for their sons and for the world, was deep.

They had already lost Ken and might lose Brad as a result, and to find Tag and Olive alive only to lose them again so suddenly would be devastating.

 

Private conversation between Aaron and Albrecht

 

They think they understand Albrecht, but they do not. They are brave but can we let them do that, even with what is at stake?

I know, Aaron. The strategist in me says we must accept because the consequences of everything are too severe and it will give us what we need… a chance. To think that such a sacrifice would only give us a chance… and even that may be in vain.

They must understand, Albrecht. As painful as it will be, if they do it knowingly, with full understanding… I am weary of the fight, love. All the sacrifices over the years by so many. I feel it should be me this time.

Only if I do it with you, but then no one would be present with the knowledge to wield such Power.

I will show them the full consequences of their offer. They have to know the extent of their sacrifice.

 

<>

 

Aaron put his hands on his chest forming a diamond pattern, and a memory sphere emerged, floating gently in front of him. He concentrated, and it split into two separate spheres, one each for Olive and Tag.

Do not be afraid.

The orbs moved forward and went into the foreheads of the older couple. Their eyes went wide and reddened with fresh tears, as the reality of what they were offering was revealed to them.

Olive spoke the truth when she said she understood. She was a wise woman, Godly even, and had a grasp on everything that was going on and what was at stake.

Tag had a grasp on most of it, but much of what Aaron showed him hit him hard. Yet in his Mind, instantly, he resigned to keep his offer. There was too much at stake for him not to. He was a soldier, like Ken and the other men, and he had a duty to protect innocent people.

Aaron: This goes far beyond that Tag, you know this.

Tag: I do, but it’s all the same ‘ta me. We gots ‘ta give da boyz a chance! They kin do this!

Olive: They can! I have faith in ’em.

Olive stepped out from behind Tag, and he took her hand in his own. The brown, leathery, skin of their faces wrinkled as they smiled at one another, at peace with their decision.

Tag spoke out loud, “I’m sorry, Momma, that we won’t be together like we planned.”

“Me too, Papa. I love you, Taggart Keenan, with all my heart.”

Tag lifted her hand and kissed it, his tears dripping across her knuckles.

“I love you too, Momma. Always have, always will.”

Tag straightened his shoulders and said, “We’s ready. Git on wit it.”

Aaron still hesitated, wanting to talk them out of it, but Albrecht caught his eye and shook his head slightly.

They have made their decision Aaron. Do not dishonor their choice.

Aaron sighed, and his shoulders slumped.

You are right.

 

Raphael’s Pocket Dimension

 

For the last few moments, once the sound of Ken’s neck snapping reached them, Michael stood silent. He continued to watch with the rest of them as their Nephilim grandchildren lay unconscious. Michael’s shoulders were like granite under his armor. He gripped the pommel of his sword so tightly it creaked.

Raphael knew to keep silent but stood with his Brother, standing with him in his grief.

They were as surprised as Aaron and Albrecht when Tag and Olive drove up in the panel van, hitting The Master and knocking him back.

Raphael’s inhumanly handsome brow furrowed at their appearance, and he wondered how they came to be spared from the devastation that occurred at their home on Earth. He sensed some profound significance was kept hidden from them and turned his attention to seeking what that might be.

Once again, they were surprised when two human voices cried out Uriel’s name, Summoning him to the Physical Realm.

 

 

Waffle House, Atlanta, GA

Aaron, Albrecht, Tag, and Olive

 

Albrecht: We will not have much time when we go back to our bodies. Cavall and I will attempt to distract The Master while Aaron prepares you. When he is ready, I will know, and it will happen.

Olive only nodded. The tears in her eyes expressed the many emotions inside her. They ran thick through her Heart; hope for Ken that he would somehow survive, Drew and Henry, the rest of the men, Aaron and Albrecht. Her last prayer was for the World.

She felt sorrow, resignation, and even a small touch of pride for her act of selflessness.

Tag felt much the same in his own way. Albrecht saw the hardening of his eyes and knew he was braced for what was about to happen. Albrecht nodded back and said everything with his eyes that Tag needed to hear.

 

The Physical Realm – Waffle House Parking Lot

 

Suddenly, there was noise again, and smells, and movement. Mostly though, there was the cold feeling of The Master’s Aura.

Albrecht shouted in his Mind to Cavall in ancient Gaelic.

Cav! We must distract him, only for a few seconds, but it must be done.

Cavall’s response was a howl that echoed around them, hitting The Master’s Black Shields as he moved to the opposite side, trying to force The Master to face him. Albrecht leapt and rolled to be with him, launching his own attack.

Aaron rushed to Olive and Tag, and from an ankle strap he drew a short silver dagger, honed razor sharp. He ripped open Tag’s shirt and the top of Olive’s dress. He regretted their exposure, but there was no time for modesty.

Not wishing to cause either of his dear friends even the slightest physical discomfort, he cut across his palm and used his own blood to trace the necessary runes on their bodies.

The Master, in his arrogance, ignored them and faced Albrecht and Cavall. The man and dog had fought and hunted together centuries ago and fell back into their routine as though no time had passed. They danced around their foe, dodging attacks, and landing a few of their own. Though it seemed forever to Albrecht, it was less than a minute before he heard Aaron’s voice.

It is done.

The two men, lovers and partners, once again delved into each other. As One, their voices echoing with Power, they sang Uriel’s name in the Language of Creation, Summoning the Archangel of Death. They could not bend his Will or Command him in any way, other than to make him appear by using the most sacred and powerful form of his True Name.

Uriel appeared in a blaze of Light, right behind Aaron, Tag, and Olive. He hovered off the ground, his commanding form barely discernable in the brightness of his Aura. He did not arrive in his true form, lest he destroy the humans present.

Uriel’s deep voice spoke to Aaron.

I would have come regardless, for my grandson’s sake. I am not your enemy, Aaron Thomas. It is a profound thing you do, and I understand the cost.

The Master spun, “What is this?! You cannot be here!”

He took up a defensive posture, unsure of what was transpiring.

Aaron’s Mental voice quivered as he begged Uriel.

Please make it painless for them as you did with Liz Hastings.

Of course. Their sacrifice is enough, and it will be peaceful. They will simply go to sleep and never wake up.

Tears flowed over his face as Aaron whispered, “I am sorry, dear friends,” as he and Albrecht empowered the runes on Olive’s and Tag’s bodies. They glowed brightly as Uriel’s wings enveloped them. He accepted the sacrifice of their Souls, so seldom offered. Liz Hastings was the last one, and there hadn’t been another for millennia. It did not escape Uriel’s notice that three Souls had been sacrificed within a short period of time as he counted it. Such things mattered.

As he had with Liz Hastings, Uriel wrapped Tag and Olive in the comfort of his wings, and their offering was painless and swift. Olive and Tag were gone in a blaze of Light, and Uriel with them. Aaron already felt the weight of their absence, even as his eyes glowed White. Albrecht’s eyes did the same, as the two men became vessels of the Power of a thousand Souls each.

The look of anger reappeared on Aaron’s face; anger at his age-old Enemy who forced him to make such painful decisions and killed so many of his loved ones over the centuries. The cruelty and evil The Master inflicted on the human race that tore at Aaron’s heart rose up, fueling his anger.

Free our son’s Albrecht, they must get back in the fight if we are to have a chance.

With the Power of Tag and Olive’s sacrifice, The Master now felt their attacks. The two men spent thousands of years gathering their knowledge and honing their skills. They called upon spells and abilities never before used because the Power to complete them had been lacking. They utilized every scrap of knowledge either of them had ever learned.

Aaron sliced through The Master’s Dark Shields, crippling him and rending his Mind, Heart, and Soul in devastating attacks, yet the Curse was always present, restoring him to the state he was in when it was brought into being.

Albrecht, confident in his lover’s knowledge and abilities, turned to look on the men, his sons, scattered about the ground, unconscious and imprisoned under the Dark Shroud of the Curse. He knew the Shield was strong, but he had no idea how The Master maintained it. It seemed as though the Curse was doing it on its own.

He threw his newfound Power against it, but it didn’t break and he frowned in confusion. Aaron’s attacks were penetrating The Master’s Shields, yet his did not? What was the difference? He did not have much time to find out! Their Power would only last so long, while the Curse was virtually unlimited.

Motion in the sky caught his attention. Lightning and thunder ripped across the Heaven's nonstop since the fight began, but a new disturbance began to take shape. A vortex was forming, but not one he expected. It was composed of small wraiths of Light, thousands upon thousands of them. They were Animal Spirits, called by Loy before he lost consciousness, coming to the Call of their Steward!

Much like the Black Vortex Lane and Bryan fought, the Spirits formed a vast funnel, concentrating their strength. Their individual shapes were lost as they merged with one another, their Will guided by the older and wiser Spirits while Loy lay unconscious. It took them time to gather in sufficient numbers and strength, but now they attacked The Master at the Command of the Steward.

Albrecht bent his Will on them and focused his attack with the Spirits, yet the Shield over the men still withstood their attack. He soon realized what the problem was. Just before The Master unleashed the Curse on them, they threw all their Power into their Shields. Their Avatars were more Powerful than ever, attempting to be equal to the attack, and the Curse still overmatched them. The two Powers remained in conflict, and their strength was responsible for the Power of the Shroud.

He would have to overcome both the strength of their Avatars and the Curse to break the barrier. With a sickening feeling in the pit of his stomach, Albrecht realized even with the Spirits and the Power he wielded it would not be enough. The forces in play were unimaginable, yet they still weren’t enough, and they never could be until Drew and Henry were successful.

As difficult as he and Aaron knew it would be, he still had no idea how far things would go. He realized why Aaron had that seed of doubt. He studied the Curse more than any other scholar through the Ages, and Albrecht reluctantly admitted his lover may have been right.

Albrecht shook his head, refusing to believe it was impossible.

No! He would not despair! The Paradox of their existence meant they would find a way! It had to be possible! The forces driving the confrontation made it possible for the Conflict to occur, and there had to be a chance for them to be victorious, or everything was futile and meaningless.

His thoughts turned to Lane and Bryan in the Valley. Typically, he would not have the Power to reach across the planet, but with Tag and Olive’s sacrifice, the distance was now inconsequential.

 

 

The Valley of Yggdrasil

 

Lane Listened, and Leroy’s purring filled his senses. The sound was vibrant and unique, adding a distinct mix of frequencies he was unaccustomed too. Leroy’s Fire licked over their bodies, and they had never been filled with so much Power. The full Power of Leroy’s Fire, the ability to cleanse and re-write Creation, flowed through them.

Lane and Bryan embraced, their emotions reeling from the sudden turn of events. Not even seconds before they had both been on the brink of death, knowing their demise would mean the destruction of the Valley and the Tree. Now they stood, thoroughly enmeshed in one another, two Souls, One being, alive and whole.

The relief in both of them was nearly overpowering, yet they both knew their Brothers needed their help desperately.

Lane!? Bryan!?

Lane: Albrecht!

The relief in their mentor was palpable as he Linked with them, sharing the current state of events in Atlanta. Bryan and Lane heard and felt Ken’s neck snap, and the pain in their Souls cascaded into what almost became their own deaths.

The two men fell to their knees again when they saw in Albrecht’s memory the sacrifice of Tag and Olive. They thought the old couple dead and then lost them again in the same breath. The blow was another bruise to their Souls they would feel for a very long time.

Albrecht’s eyes nearly popped out of his head when he felt the Dragon Fire in his young charges. They shared with him their own memories of everything that transpired in the Valley.

The one thought in Albrecht’s Mind was Leroy’s Fire was their only hope to break through the Shroud imprisoning the rest of the Team.

The smile on Bryan’s face faded quickly, replaced by a grim look, and the Rage that accompanied Leroy’s Fire built once more. Few things could anger the gentle spirit residing within the big gruff man, but endangering and threatening the ones he was closest to was one definitive way. The sacrifice Tag and Olive made to save them all crushed the big man. Fresh tears filled the golden orbs of his eyes, making small trails of Light down his face mixing with the sweat on his skin.

Lane looked through Albrecht’s eyes from across the planet, and suddenly Lane and Bryan stood in the parking lot of Waffle House on Buford Drive.

 

 

The Physical Realm – Waffle House Parking Lot

 

Lane and Bryan appeared silently. Bryan masked their Auras, preventing The Master from sensing them. Aaron knew through Albrecht as soon as his sons appeared, and it renewed his Hope. He pushed The Master all the harder, keeping him occupied, aided by Cavall. As the Curse healed The Master, Cavall continually tore and sundered his flesh.

Lane and Bryan saw the White Vortex of Animal Spirits and felt them dissipating as they gave all of themselves towards the defense of Loy and their Brothers. Albrecht brought all his newfound Power to bear on the Shroud at the same point as the Spirits, but the Shroud remained unaffected.

Seeing their Brothers laid out and unconscious, with Ken among with them, his neck broken and his Soul floating over his body pushed them over the edge. They were soldiers, but they were men, and the bonds between them were stronger than anything. They embraced the Rage that came with Leroy’s Fire over what they saw and the unconditional love of the men that were so much a part of them. They also pulled from and embraced the traditional sources of their Power; the Tree, the Veil, the Music of Creation, and Animal Spirits.

Just as The Master was driven near to the point of insanity, Bryan and Lane were as well. It wasn’t insanity as much as a breaking point for the two men. Albrecht and the doctor felt it.

The image of Leroy formed around Bryan and Lane; their golden slitted eyes glowed bright, and the full force of Leroy’s fire was unleashed for the second time that day. Aaron diverted his own strength, adding it to Albrecht’s.

Cavall howled, and between the hound, Aaron, Albrecht, the Spirits, Lane, Bryan, and Leroy, the Shroud shattered.

Even though Lane and Bryan’s Auras were masked, The Master sensed the buildup of everyone else, and he spun, witnessing Leroy’s form in the Fire as it obliterated the Shroud over his enemies. The New Warriors of the Order were free again.

Dragon Fire flowed through the men, restoring them. The Healing Lane sent was harsh, as it had been with him and Bryan moments before, but it was unavoidable.

Their eyes opened, and all of them felt the gaping hole were Ken should be. Brad could barely breathe as he saw Ken’s handsome face, staring blankly back at him, his neck and body at odd angles and his Soul floating over his chest.

The fear and sorrow that hit Brad were crushing, and it ran through all of them.

 

Waffle House, Buford Drive, Buford, GA

the Nexus of Events

 

Ken watched along with Rich, Miss Lula, and the Dove. Frank seemed oblivious and went about his tasks of cleaning the grill, mopping the floor, and restocking the egg trays.

Ken’s emotions were a rollercoaster, and Rich was with his brother the entire time. The scene outside started moving again, and Ken witnessed it all.

Relief hit Ken when he saw Tag and Olive alive, only to see Uriel appear and accept the sacrifice of their Souls. He knew how painful that decision must have been for his Mentors, and in the middle of his own hurt, his heart ached for them as well.

Ken stood stoically through it all, but his throat was closed tightly, and tears ran down his face in a constant flow. His throat had never hurt for so long or as painfully as his emotions ran the full gamut. He wondered once just how far their capacity for pain had grown, and he was finding out. Seeing his Brothers, and Tag and Olive… their sacrifices and effort, the blood and sweat, the Souls lost forever; it tore at him, wrenching his Heart. The absence of Brad and his Brothers made it worse because he bore the pain in isolation.

Rich soon stopped talking and stood beside his brother, a hand on his shoulder, just being with him.

Ken’s overwhelming desire and urge to be out fighting The Master was unbearable. He watched everyone sacrificing and fighting with everything they had in them against impossible odds, struggling to delay and occupy The Master so he wouldn’t turn his thoughts inwards against Henry and Drew.

Ken had no idea what transpired in the Valley, but his heart leapt in his chest as he saw Bryan and Lane appear, alive and bathed in Dragon Fire.

He heard Rich’s intense outburst, “Fuck, yeah!”

A second later Rich realized Ken was gone, and he smiled. It was the same little kid grin Ken often got that melted Brad’s heart.

“Kick that hairy ape’s ass, little bro. Fuck his shit up like there’s no tomorrow.”

Rich turned to the Dove, Miss Lula, and Frank and said, “Sorry!”, but he still couldn’t keep the shit-eating grin off his face.

 

 

The Physical Realm – Waffle House Parking Lot

 

For the first time in his life, Brad was stunned and debilitated to the point of not knowing what to do. The other half of his Soul floated in the air a few feet from him, over the dead body of his husband.

Brad knew Uriel would not be able to convey Ken’s Soul to Heaven without the half residing in himself. That left the part he could see vulnerable to The Master, and if it were destroyed or consumed, Brad would never see Ken again in any form of existence. That thought was unimaginable.

He stared at Ken’s face first, and then his eyes roamed down over his neck and shoulders, taking in every detail. His short brown hair was plastered to his head from sweat, and his face smudged and dirty. His five o’clock shadow was already at ten. Brad could smell him; the musk of his sweaty Kevlar mixed with the cologne he wore because it was Brad’s favorite. He pulled the image of Ken’s little kid grin from his perfect memory, but he couldn’t hold it. The image was too painful, as much as he wanted to see it.

Brad wasn’t sure how long he stared at Ken. It might have been a second, but it felt like years – and it might have been, he was so deep in his own Mind. He gave himself the luxury of his pain as long as he could, but everything that made him Brad, everything Ken loved about his husband asserted itself. The soldier in Brad, his Intellect near equal to the doctor’s, and his powerful Mind, refused the emotional pain. A wall built inside Brad that would not accept what he saw before him.

His Avatar glowed so brightly it was visible through his Kevlar suit. His Intellect, already formidable, was boosted by the Avatars of his Brothers. In Lane’s memory, Brad saw the Darkness that surrounded the wounds of Bryan and Lane when the Black Vortex impaled them. Ken was killed by The Master when the Curse was Unveiled, and he made it impossible for Ken’s wounds to be Healed. He drove the Light out of Ken, damaging him both physically and spiritually. Similar to when Ken was under the Blood Curse, their Healing powers had no effect.

Lane’s eyes flashed White for the briefest of seconds, and his eyes went wide. He wasn’t sure if Remiel sent his Vision, or if it was Creation itself pushing towards Balance. Lane’s Vision went back in Time to the day The Master killed his brother, the murder that started the entire chain of events that led up to the moments they were in. His Avatar spanned the eighty-thousand-year gap, connecting it to the present.

He saw the Stone in the young Master’s hand. He watched it rise, and strike Drew’s first self. Once… twice… and the third and final time, driving the life out of him. Lane felt the Thunder that rumbled with each blow, and the tears of Creation as rain fell. He felt the rip throughout everything as the Curse was called into being. He felt it all as it happened again in The Master’s Mind, although he didn’t realize it. He thought he was looking into the past; he was but also the present – a Paradox.

He watched as the young Master held the Stone, smoking in his hand. Lane watched the boy flee to the cave of the Water of Life and try to wash the blood from his hands that would not come off. He saw the young Master throw the Stone into the Water of Life, trying to rid himself of the guilt of his actions.

And Lane watched as the Water of Life infused the Stone with even more Power, altering and strengthening the Curse into what it now was.

Realization and Understanding came to Lane; the Water of Life did not birth the Curse, but it altered it and made it stronger. If it was that powerful, it might save Ken! It might weaken what the Curse did to him enough for their Healing to work and save him.

He knew Ken only had one chance, but it would take seconds they didn’t have.

Lane’s Vision, his journey through Time, took no Time in the present, and the knowledge of what he saw was inside him and therefore his Brothers. Renewed Hope ran through them. It was only a chance, but it was something they didn’t have a moment before.

Bryan: Go, Lane. Take Ken and Brad. I’ll stay with these fuckers, and we’ll hold until you get back. You and Brad are the only ones who can save him.

The look of desperation and Hope on Brad’s face was all Lane needed to make his decision.

Every one of them - Kevin and Bill, Pat and Darren, and Rick and Loy - fanned the flames of hope in Brad, infusing his belief Ken could be saved. The parts of their Avatars that came from Ken filled Brad with Conviction. This time it was their arms around his shoulders, pushing their Will, Conviction, and Hope into him.

They would persevere and be what they needed to be, to hold The Master at bay while Lane and Brad took Ken to the Valley.

We’ll be right back fellas. Hold tight, and don’t go lifting your skirts and screaming like little girls, at least not until we get back.

Despite the seriousness of the situation, their handsome faces broke into grins and smirks at Lane’s comment. Their bravery never wavered, and the hope running through them gave them the resolve to do what needed to be done. They were doing it for Ken, and the World, but Ken definitely came first in their Hearts.

Darren synchronized their Avatars, and Lane and Brad, with Ken in his arms, disappeared back to the Valley. Leroy was still with them through Bryan, and Darren used the clear picture of the Dragon’s cave in his Mind.

While Brad held Ken and Lane received his Vision, they felt the same impending buildup as before. The Master, harassed by Aaron and Albrecht, aided by Cavall, went berserk. He expected to bowl them over, and the resistance he received was unimaginable to him.

Kevin and Bill, Pat and Darren, Rick and Loy, and Bryan stood tall, once again pillars of Light, recovered, ready, and standing together. Their handsome faces, dirty and sweaty, eyes red with tears over the losses already incurred in the fight, were grim. However, there was a new Light in their eyes. Their resolve was just as strong as before, but now there was anger… part of it was the Rage that came with Leroy’s Fire, but mostly it came from the loss of their loved ones and their Captain. The hole where Ken should be fueled their rage and determination.

Even amidst everything going on, their Minds and Hearts were still with Henry and Drew. They were soldiers, trained for a life of Battle and hardships, but Henry and Drew were not. They could not imagine what their Brother and adoptive nephew were going through in their part of the fight.

This time when The Master unleashed the full Power of the Curse, they withstood it. They dug deeper because they had to, for Ken, but Leroy’s Fire backed their resolve, and the added Power of Aaron and Albrecht made the difference.

All the sources of their Power were clearly visible. Once they were conscious again Yggdrasil appeared, the Spirits Loy called to their defense were present, and the other Mentalists Listened and fluttered their Souls across the Veil.

Their Light met the Curse and this time held it at bay. It wasn’t easy. In fact, it was the hardest thing they had ever done in all their trials. The pain that hit their Souls was numbing, but they held. Their Avatars shone brightly through their Kevlar. They were a Wall, as their Brother Henry taught them to be.

If The Master’s eyes had been visible, the men would have seen them widen in surprise. What he witnessed was impossible.

 

 

The Valley of the Tree – Leroy’s Cave

 

As Brad and Lane appeared, they were met by the fully Awakened Leroy. The cave was immense, yet it barely contained his head and part of his neck. The heat was nearly unbearable, and both men immediately broke out into a fresh sweat.

They were visible for a fraction of a second, only long enough for Brad to turn his head to the cave mouth that led to the Roots of the Tree. They needed a visual image of where they wanted to go, and Brad coordinated his Avatar with Lane’s, and they jumped by sight, traversing what would have taken minutes in a matter of seconds.

They were still merged with Darren, and his Primary Avatar boosted theirs making Ken’s body weight a non-issue.

The blistering heat of Leroy’s cave was replaced immediately by the icy cold dampness of the cavern containing the Water of Life. The sounds of the water cascading over the massive roots of Yggdrasil would have been pleasant if not for the urgency.

The two men jumped into the shimmering water, glowing with the potency of the Power contained within it. The clash of Powers as Brad submersed Ken into the Water was visible. Brad held Ken’s body, feeling the weight of his husband in his arms and forcing his anxiety down.

This has to work! Please let this work!

His prayer went out to God or the Universe… pleading to whatever Powers might be Listening, his desperation empowering his cry.

Miss Lula, Frank, and the Dove heard him.

Brad situated Ken so his head was just above the Water, and Lane gently scooped some into his mouth.

Lane Listened to the two halves of Brad’s Soul, using that Music, knowing the significance it would have to Ken, and thrust the strongest, thickest Thread of Healing he ever generated into Ken’s body.

Similar to when Ken was under the Blood Curse, his Healing dissipated before it touched him. Lane expected that, and his handsome brow furrowed in concentration. His own love for Ken was no less than Brad’s, and he pushed harder. He reached deeper inside himself and reached out to Brad; there was no margin for error on what he wanted to do. He opened his mouth and intoned the Rune of Healing from the Book of Loagaeth. With Leroy’s Fire still in them and their own Love of Ken driving their efforts, they empowered the Rune with just the two of them. The Rune took shape in the air before them, hovering over the Water as their own Avatars had in their final Awakening.

The two Brothers pushed until their bodies ached with the Power they channeled. It was almost imperceptible, but Lane soon felt resistance as the influence of the Water made itself felt.

Eighty thousand years prior, mere feet from where they were, the Stone had been altered by the Water of Life after the young Master cast it into the depths trying to rid himself of it. The Water touched the Curse then, empowering and altering it, and it was strong enough to do so again.

As the Water worked its way through Ken’s body, his Nephilim Heritage absorbed its ambient magic, and the Curse become more and more perceptible; it gave them something to push against. Once the Curse was tangible, Lane and Brad attacked it with a vengeance.

None of the men could imagine their lives without Ken; he was their leader, their Brother, and their Soulmate. The emotions running through Lane and Brad were harsh and overpowering – anger at the situation, and not a little fear – but they let all of it fuel their Centering Flame.

Still One with their Brothers in Atlanta, they ran the gamut of emotions together and held each other as always, supporting one another, making each other strong. In their Souls, their arms were around each other's shoulders just as Ken’s would be, holding that place until he returned to them.

The rugged individualism of each of the men – their tenacity, their intense love for one another as Brothers and men – it all gave them what they needed to become more than equal to the task. Images and feelings from their past, the jokes, the shit-talking, the highest highs and the lowest lows of their lives were clear and present, making them who they were.

The skies over the Valley once again filled with seething clouds, and fresh lightning filled them as Brad and Lane called unimaginable Power against the Curse, driving it out of Ken and reigniting the Light within him.

Brad hugged Ken against him, their heads pressed together as he brushed Ken’s short hair off his forehead. The two men, their Avatars fully functional again, drawing on all the sources of their Power, augmented by Dragon Fire and the Water of Life, Healed Ken. His Soul returned to his body, and with Lane’s Healing, he breathed again. They used their Minds, backed by Darren in Atlanta, to set his broken bones before they knitted back together.

Brad’s heart leapt in his chest as Ken’s body twitched, then bucked from the strength of the Healing running through his powerful frame. The control he had over his physical body was perfect and he quickly settled his muscles, not wanting to hurt Brad unintentionally. His eyes fluttered open, and the first thing he saw was Brad, crying uncontrollably. Ken’s arms reached up, grabbing his husband, and they delved into one another in the special place where their Souls were One.

 

<>

 

Oh God, Ken, I really thought you were gone this time! I didn’t know what I was going to do!

I’m here, B. You guys did it! I knew you would!

Inside themselves, where their Souls were One, they were naked. The dirt and the sweat were gone, but not the tears, and Brad held Ken’s muscular body cradled in his arms. He pulled Ken’s face against his chest, squeezing with all his strength. He became ‘that guy’ Mentally and Spiritually, holding Ken as tightly as he possibly could as he sobbed like a baby.

Ken couldn’t talk either, and they laughed as his arms went around Brad squeezing back. They reveled in the close intimacy of their intertwined Souls and bodies. After a few minutes Ken repositioned them, so they were sitting up with Brad between his legs, his arms wrapped around Brad’s waist, resting his chin on Brad’s shoulder. They rested in each other in silence, until the reality that they were both alive and still together was real to both of them.

Time wasn’t moving, but they knew their Brothers were holding The Master at bay and their training asserted itself.

Lane’s voice piped into their Minds.

If you two lovebirds are finished, there’s a fight going on, in case you forgot! You can make out like rabbits later.

Ken’s face broke into that little kid grin.

Damn straight. When we’re done, I’m gonna light you up like never before. I’m so horned up for you I can barely stand it. Do you know how hard it’s gonna be to kick The Master’s ass with a raging hardon?

Brad reached down and felt precisely how hard Ken was for him, and it started his own fire. He grinned.

I can’t wait.

Lane: I’m about to dump a bucket of this ice-cold Water on you two studs. You selfish bastards are NOT going to make out in the middle of this!

Brad took them back to their bodies, still in the Water.

 

<>

 

Lane’s eyes held just as many tears, and Ken embraced his Brother as tightly as he had Brad just a moment ago.

Thanks, Lane.

All the words Ken wanted to say were expressed through his Heart and Mind as he hugged his Brother. They both laughed as they clapped each other on the back because even Ken’s Mental voice sounded choked up.

Lane, making light of the situation, replied: I know how much Kevin hates stepping up to the plate when you aren’t around. We’re like a herd of cats. I just didn’t want to listen to him whine. It was easier to have you back.

Ken ruffled his hair, and they both smiled. Everything Ken wanted and needed to say to Lane was in his eyes and his Heart; they were One, and both of them felt everything in the other.

Alright fellas, let’s get back in the fight.

 

The Physical Realm – Waffle House Parking Lot

 

The Master continued hammering at their Shields. He was out of control and proceeded to throw attack after attack at them in an animalistic rage. Even with Leroy’s Fire backing them the blows hurt. His Black Aura, fueled by the Curse, burned them continuously.

Most of them were down on one knee, bracing themselves with arms around the shoulder of whoever was closest, supporting and encouraging each other. Their powerful bodies heaved and strained, exhibiting the effort they put forth physically and spiritually. Their suits were soaked through and began to chafe as the swelling of their muscled bodies pulled the Velcro straps apart, and over time all of the guys pulled off the arm and lower legging pieces to lessen their discomfort.

Every piece of exposed skin was slick with sweat and shone with the effort. Veins showed in their muscular arms, and their Avatars shone brightly on the balls of their shoulders. Their conditioning was evident, they breathed heavy, and they hurt as their bodies ached from the blows against them, yet they persevered and pushed on. They continued taunting The Master, driving his rage as he continued his relentless assault.

It seemed like forever since Brad and Lane vanished. They were One, and the men in Atlanta felt Ken’s presence when he was whole again and back with them. His presence flooded into their Hearts, Minds, and Souls, even their Bodies. His Will and Conviction filled them along with his personal strength; all the things that made him their leader. The relief inside them was immense as none of them could begin to imagine a life without all of them together. Even if they failed and survived, it was unthinkable to continue without all of them living in one another.

As his presence filled them, every one of Ken’s Brothers felt his arms around them, on their backs, ruffling their hair, whispering encouragement in their Minds, Hearts, and Souls. Whatever they needed to hear, he knew, because he was their Brother and Captain, and knew them intimately. He had a knack for knowing people better than they knew themselves, and he used it for their benefit.

As soon as he was with them again, their backs straightened, pushing up from their knees, and their Light brightened even more. There were red eyes and tears from the fact that Ken was with them again, but there was even greater joy when Ken appeared along with Brad and Lane.

The tears in the doctors’ eyes showed how much it meant to have his son back. Ken sent the doctor and Albrecht his own private greeting, hugging both men in his Mind and Heart.

The Master’s face was still shrouded in Darkness, but his body posture showed his shock when Ken appeared alive and well.

“You can’t get ridda’ me that easy asshole. Not when these fuckers got my back!”

After his initial shock, The Master’s rage lessened when he saw Ken. The surprise of seeing the abomination he killed, driving the Curse into him, proved how mighty his opponents were, and he needed to change his tactics. He let his rage drive him, thinking he could simply overpower them, but the hybrid Nephilim were more resilient than he ever thought they could be. There was still no doubt of his victory, but they were going to make him work for it.

He paused for a moment, breathing heavily. Sweat covered his grotesquely muscular body under all the hair, and he stank. The Bodies, in particular, smelled him. Many of them found male scents a turn on, but the smell coming from the Master turned their stomachs.

The Master wondered at their resilience and what they hoped to gain. Even though The Master had the volatile primitive rage inside him from his origins, he was brilliant. He wondered why they continued to fight when they knew there was no chance of victory. He wondered at his brother being in his Mind, and how that was accomplished. Yet even with those thoughts the possibility never crossed his mind that there was a way to break the Curse. The Dark One told him it was all-powerful, Eternal, and unbreakable.

The Master came up with another idea. He enjoyed seeing them in pain; their pain and suffering made him stronger. Seeing their tears brought him pleasure. He knew they wanted to protect mankind. Fools! They couldn’t understand that under the Curse, humans would never choose the Light over the Dark!

The idea of them killing the very humans they swore to protect was enticing. His lips pulled back into a smile as he turned, sending out a Black wave of Darkness, rolling outward, continuing to gain speed until it spread over the Earth. It washed over their Shields and didn’t affect them, but they felt its purpose.

As the wave touched the unconscious people Brad Compelled to go to sleep, they woke up, and The Master Commanded them to attack the New Warriors of The Order first, and if not them, each other. He knew the humans couldn’t hurt the Warriors, but it would occupy them while he devised another plan to destroy them, and the deaths of so many would add to the pain they already felt.

Brad’s eyes flashed White, and he unleashed the same Compulsion as before, but the Shroud of the Curse prevented it from working.

Brad: Fuck! Their Minds are Shielded by the Curse! We can’t break through, and there are going to be too many here to deal with in a little while.

Ken: Until they get here, keep the pressure up on big ugly here. We have ‘ta keep him occupied and not focused on Henry and Drew. We’ll have ‘ta figure out somethin’ once they start showin’ up.

Ken glanced at the window of the Waffle House and saw Miss Lula and Drew’s Birdman watching. The humans inside the building seemed unaffected by The Master’s Command, and he was grateful for that.

Suddenly their vision blurred for a brief second with the now-familiar distortion effect of Eschphene magic. They were surprised to see Németh, but they were even more surprised to see the young soldiers from Australia along with Craig and his father Kent, wearing combat gear and loaded down with weapons.

Jacob called out, “We thought you could use a little backup, so we hitched a ride!”

Ken raised his eyebrows, and every one of the men had a questioning look on their faces.

Jacob grinned and admitted, “Okay, he came to pick us up. He said we needed to be here.”

Ken grinned and thought: B, Link ’em up.

Already on it.

Ken: You’re timin’ is perfect guys. Big ugly here just woke all the normals up, and they’re headed this way. They’re under a Compulsion to attack and kill us and each other. You need ‘ta keep ’em away so we can focus. Think Zombie apocalypse, and you’ll be close.

After the experiences the young soldiers had been through, and Albrecht’s training and teachings, none of them batted an eye at Ken’s ‘zombie’ reference. They took it in stride and looked ready for whatever might come their way. They survived coming face to face with the Demon Azaziel and witnessed his restoration to an Angel; dealing with possessed humans would be a walk in the park!

While their discussion took place, the fight with The Master continued. Darren’s form flitted around, the Bodies attacked and grappled, and the Mentalists sent out White ropes of Power.

Brad: Don’t attack The Master guys! You don’t want his attention on you, believe me. We’ll Shield you, so stay focused on the humans. Do everything you can to slow them down without seriously hurting them. If you have to take lives, make it clean. Do what you have to do. You know what’s at stake here, and we have to win.

Ken: Protect each other and watch your backs.

Jacob winked and made the hand signals for the unit to fan out.

“Alright, you heard the man. We have a job to do.”

He glanced back at Ken, and with a sharp salute said, “You can count on us, sir.”

The same thought ran through the Team; they were grateful for the presence of the young soldiers but would be devastated if anything happened to them. Still, they were in a war and needed soldiers.

Ken glanced at Németh: Thanks for bringin’ ’em. I don’t like puttin’ ’em at risk, but we need ’em. How’d you know?

Németh: All things related to the Balance are my Province. From the Temple, I saw their threads, and they were needed. Every power involved in the Conflict is now in motion, and victory or failure rests in your hands. Restore the Balance, Nephilim. Do not fail.

Németh vanished with the same distortion of the area.

While Ken conversed with Jacob and Németh, the rest of the Team pressed The Master, and the comments started flying as Ken turned to rejoin the fight.

Nice of you join us, buttercup!

Are you all nice and rested now?

Wait, you had hash browns? While we were out here getting our asses handed to us, you ate breakfast?

Unlike the first part of the fight, the banter and shit-talk flowed as they fought. They hung shit on one another, and the bonds and support between them carried them forward. The strain was incredible even with Leroy’s Fire, yet they were One again and more Powerful for it.

The Master would occasionally attack one of the young soldiers, but the Mentalists were ready and Shielded the young men, diverting the attack back to themselves.

Ken, Brad, and their Brothers were the pillars of Light mankind needed. They were a defense against the Darkness and held firm. All of them together, their Souls One, defied everything The Master threw at them. They had never been as hard-pressed for such a long time, but they held because they had to. It sounded so simple, but it was a profound lesson Henry taught them.

The doctor, Albrecht, and Cavall fought alongside them, adding their knowledge, skill, and Power to the fight. Every one of the Team was wide-eyed at some point seeing their Mentors fight as One. It was apparent how both of them survived against The Enemy for the thousands of years they did. The doctor rarely used his abilities overtly but filled with the extra Power from the sacrifice of Tag and Olive, he fought alongside his adoptive sons as fiercely as any of them.

The hurt in them at the loss of their dear friends was another force that drove them and kept them from giving up. They would not dishonor Tag and Olive’s sacrifice by failing.

The fight continued, and every second felt like an eternity as they dug deep within themselves, keeping Drew and Henry foremost in their thoughts and Hearts, but praying for them to hurry.

Finally, the doctor and Albrecht started to fade, exhausting the Power received from Tag and Olive’s sacrifice. At the same time, more and more humans were showing up from the Mall and the surrounding area, and the young soldiers were hard-pressed to maintain the perimeter around the Team.

Ken: Doc! Albrecht! Fall back and help Jacob and the others!

Without question, their two mentors did as instructed.

The fight was still unwinnable, and the best they could hope for was a stalemate while they prayed for Drew and Henry to be successful.

Eventually, they started to falter. Their attacks slowed and weakened, and their defenses became erratic. Red Fire ignited around them, sucking oxygen into their Core Energy Centers to fuel their bodies. The flow of Power through them took its toll, and the Healing flows Lane kept up started requiring more and more energy, diverting it away from their offense.

Unexpectedly, The Master started fighting erratically, shouting, “HOW CAN YOU BE HERE?” startling everyone.

They assumed he was talking about Drew and they renewed their attacks, throwing White ropes of Power at The Master, burning him and pulling him back into the Physical Realm. He seemed to be struggling, fighting on two fronts. They took advantage and pressed their attack until they utterly exhausted themselves.

Their Hearts ached, BUT THEY HAD TO BE ENOUGH! They gritted their teeth, sweat pouring off them, their bodies trembling with fatigue, and pushed on. Blinding pain shot through the Minds of the Mentalists, yet they couldn’t give up. Whatever strength they had they threw at The Master.

Loy and Rick had been there before when they were trapped in Augusta fighting the Master’s Amalgam. The Creature pummeled them beyond their ability, and if not for their Brothers, they would have perished. There was no one else this time; Németh said all the forces were in play.

They heard the fighting of the soldiers and the doctor and Albrecht, who were beginning to be overrun by the mob that steadily built over the last minutes.

Every one of them gave everything they had for Drew. They fought the Curse, but it was too Powerful.

The Master felt their waning strength and knew he was on the brink of victory. He would destroy The Order first, and then deal with the Betrayer and his brother inside his Mind.

 

 

Henry in the Valley

 

Henry waited until the young Master moved away. He was sure the boy couldn’t see Luke, but with his Mind Open he might see or sense Henry’s use of Power.

Henry slowed his perception of time, not entirely, but enough to be precise when the right moment came. As soon as the boy was out of sight, Luke dropped from his perch to follow him.

When Henry saw his chance, he lashed out, sending a rope of White Power to lasso Luke and hold him.

His maneuver seemed to work perfectly until Luke transformed into black smoke, escaping Henry’s rope. The cloud quickly reformed, but rather than Luke, the smoke grew and solidified into The Master of the present! Henry felt the cold aura of his strength and knew it was The Master from the Physical Realm. The shade of Luke was a trap, one that alerted him to anyone tampering in his deepest memory!

Immediately Henry noticed the Black nimbus over The Master’s face was barely visible, and he realized in The Master’s Mind he couldn’t hide who he was, and in that place his true self was evident. Henry didn’t feel sorry for The Master, but it was tragic anyone could go through life, especially Immortal life, despising themselves so utterly.

The Master saw him, and his deep voice rasped, “How you came to be here Betrayer, I do not know. I will discover what Magics you employed to do this! What is it about the boy and this memory you seek to accomplish? Why are you here!?”

Henry felt a twinge of fear, not for himself but for Drew. Henry’s sole purpose was to Protect Drew and distract The Master. He learned from Ken about pissing an opponent off to make them act irrationally, and Henry knew The Master was sensitive about his appearance. As powerful as he was, it was a strange character flaw, and one Henry never would have guessed at.

He needed The Master focused on him, so even though it was silly high school humor, he hoped it would work.

“I’m not telling you shit, furball. Fuck, now I know why you hide your ugly mug! If my dog looked like you, I’d shave his butt and teach him to walk backwards!”

Faster than Henry thought possible, before he could slow his perception of time and react, The Master’s clawed hand was around his throat, lifting him off the ground.

Henry’s training kicked in, and on instinct he threw all his Power into his Shields. The lock of hair on Henry’s head flashed just as White, burning The Master’s hand.

Henry managed to choke out, “Okay, sorry about the ugly joke!”

The Master moved his face right up to Henry’s. His horrid-smelling hot breath blew the hair back off Henry’s forehead as he spit out, “I am invincible! The leader of The New Order lies dead at my feet, and the rest of them are about to die! Tell me why you are here! What is it you hope to accomplish?”

Henry was turning purple with the strain of the pressure on his Shields, and the effort of tensing his neck. He used every bit of Physical and Spiritual strength he had in his enhanced body to prevent The Master from snapping his neck.

Unexpectedly, The Master screamed, and his clawed hand released Henry, dropping him to the ground. White ropes appeared around The Master, and he vanished. Henry cheered in his Mind; someone up top was still fighting, forcing him to pay attention to them rather than him and Drew!

Henry dropped to the ground holding his neck.

Fuck me! I didn’t expect him to show up in person!

Before Henry recovered, The Master reappeared. Henry rolled away and leapt to his feet before The Master reoriented himself. Henry needed to give Drew as much time as possible, and knew he was no match for The Master one-on-one, so he planned to delay him as long as possible and stay alive doing it.

Henry shot a spear of Mental Energy at The Master, hoping to piss him off enough to follow, and took off as fast he could run. He heard The Master’s bellow of rage and the cracking of trees as he knocked them out of the way to follow.

When the noise stopped, Henry knew The Master was gone again. The fight up top was still ongoing! During his reprieve, it finally registered what The Master said about the leader of The Order being dead.

God, not Ken? Or the doctor?

His anxiety spiked at The Master’s words. God, what if Ken were dead? What would that mean to Brad? His Mind raced and his chest tightened, but the lock of hair on his head gleamed in the sun, and he calmed somewhat. The Master might have been bragging or lying, and Henry didn’t know for sure that anyone was dead. He had to focus on Drew and enabling him to be successful no matter what was happening in the Physical Realm. The fate of mankind rested on his son, and Ken and his Brothers instilled the same drive in Henry to see that mission accomplished. Until he knew anything for sure he couldn’t be distracted by ‘what if’s’ that would weaken his resolve or concentration.

Henry would stop and wait, and when The Master reappeared he would attack and run until he disappeared again. The Master was getting worked up fighting in his Mind and the Physical Realm at the same time.

Henry, unfamiliar with the Valley, was soon lost. His driving need was to draw The Master further away from Drew and give him time. He knew he fucked up when he ran into a dead-end, and as he turned to run, The Master appeared, blocking his only way out.

Henry knew what was coming and braced himself, his arms crossed before him and his Shields bright. A Black Talon shot out of The Master’s hand hitting Henry’s crossed forearms. The blow threw Henry against the nearby rock wall, but his Shields held. He slowed his perception of time as he flew back, positioning his body so he could smack his arms out and absorb most of the impact. The maneuver didn’t work as well against rock as it did on the mats in the gym, but it kept him from being seriously hurt.

He remembered Christmas Eve the year before at the Atlanta Symphony, the night Brad’s friend Tony died. The Master tried to kill Henry that night, but he survived the direct attack. It knocked him cross-eyed, but he survived. He survived because he had to, for Drew. Taking the blow reminded Henry how much stronger he was than he used to be.

The attack hurt, it hurt down to his Soul, but it didn’t come close to killing him. The problem was The Master had him pinned, and if he couldn’t figure out a way to get by, he wouldn’t last long. The thought came back to his Mind like a mantra; he would hold out as long as he needed to so Drew could be successful. He would be the Wall, no matter the cost.

The Master looked at Henry’s physical perfection as he attacked. Henry was soaked in sweat, his body fully pumped. He didn’t have the angelic heritage of his Brothers, but he was an incredibly handsome and virile man. The Master’s own servants created Henry’s body to be in the shape it was. Seeing Henry’s flawless body angered him nearly as much as the Nephilim abominations.

The Master wondered how Henry became so powerful. He started out as a Protector of The Enemy, and that in its own right made him strong. Yet since his interactions with Aaron Thomas, Albrecht, and the Nephilim abominations he grew into something The Master had never seen before.

“I am curious, Betrayer, how you have grown to be so powerful. It is a secret I wish to learn, so my underlings will be more potent as well. I will rip the knowledge from your Mind before I destroy you.”

The Master unleashed a savage flurry of attacks on Henry. He fended off the first couple, but once a few landed they took their toll, and soon The Master had him held against the rock wall, pounding him.

Henry was nearly unconscious, his handsome face bloody, while The Master had him pinned. Henry’s feet dangled a few feet off the ground, and his strength was fading fast. He needed some kind of respite, however brief, to recover and get away.

Henry gathered what strength he had left, hoping to hit The Master hard enough to drop him. His Mind was foggy from the beating and at first, he wasn’t sure what he heard. Before launching his attack, he heard a deep growl behind The Master.

The Master turned and screamed, “HOW CAN YOU BE HERE?”

The Wolf-Spirit, her form grown to be larger than The Master, attacked him. Behind her, Henry saw the thousands upon thousands of Soul-fragments from Drew. His last command had been for them to save her as the shades from The Master’s memories rushed to destroy her.

I live Evil One because the cub saved me. He is more powerful than you imagine and will be your undoing.

Her fangs dug into his flesh, and as he grappled with her, the incarnations swarmed over him. Individually they weren’t strong, but there were so many The Master was temporarily overwhelmed, and he vanished, driven back to the Physical Realm.

Almost as if her words were prophetic, the sky began to darken and thunder rumbled through the Valley. The wind gusted, and Henry thought he heard laughter in it.

Henry looked up at the darkening sky, and another crack of lightning ripped across it followed by thunder that was far louder than it should have been, echoing out and beyond The Master’s Mind.

Thunder and Lightning filled the skies. Rain poured as the Heavens wept. Creation groaned, and the laughter of the Dark One carried on the wind.

Henry felt himself pulled by the Wolf-Spirit. She took them to Drew, and what he saw struck him a blow he was unprepared for.

Drew lay cradled in the arms of his brother, his faced crushed so severely he was almost unrecognizable. There was blood everywhere and the Stone, still in the young Master’s hand, smoked.

At first, Henry couldn’t make a sound. The pain was so unexpected and all-consuming he couldn’t move. His eyes were wide with shock, already filling with tears.

Henry felt as if a part of his Soul died and he rushed forward, dropping to his knees beside the boys. The young Master looked at Henry, his eyes wide and terrified, his face was a mask of desperation, pleading for help.

Henry choked out, “Drew, what did you do baby?! Oh, God, no! You can’t be dead! You can’t be!”

Henry was so overcome with grief his mind went numb. He reached towards Drew, his hands shaking. He wanted to touch his son, but there was so much damage he was afraid of doing even more. He knew Drew was gone, but he still couldn’t bear the thought of hurting him. Drew felt pain most of his life, and Henry couldn’t stand the thought of adding to it, even in death.

The young Master saw the devastation on Henry’s face and the tears filling his eyes. He cried as well, and he tried to say something but had no words or language of the tongue. He held Drew’s body out towards Henry as if begging Henry to fix him. Loud guttural noises that sounded like hoots and hollers came from the young Master’s mouth, but his Mind and the intent behind his shouts were clearly expressed.

Brother, forgive me! I didn’t mean it! Come back to me!

With the young Master’s thoughts, a ripping sound started. At first, it sounded like thunder, but it was continuous. The sound increased in volume and everything began to shake. It was the Curse over The Master shredding into non-existence, and it was heard and felt throughout everything!

The young Master looked at the Stone, smoking in his hand, evidence of his actions. He couldn’t take it back, but he wanted to. He felt shame and embarrassment. The Voice lied to him! It promised him he would feel powerful! He let Drew go, and his body rolled onto the ground. He turned and fled down to the cave where the Water of Life resided…

…but this time, the memory was different. Drew’s presence and his last words to his brother changed everything. The young Master, his first version, asked forgiveness from his dead brother. Drew couldn’t answer, but it didn’t matter because in his Heart he forgave his brother long before his death. When Drew ran away and was on his own, he thought about his brother’s plight.

The Compassion in him, magnified by Henry and his uncles, gave him the capacity to forgive his brother.

Henry lifted Drew, shaking so hard with sobs he couldn’t speak. He sucked in air as the rain fell, holding Drew against him, cradling his limp body and rocking him slowly. Henry raised his face to the Heavens, his neck thickening with grief, as he wailed and cried out his pain.

Images of Drew ran through Henry’s Mind, and he remembered the recent looks. They weren’t looks of indifference, they were resignation, and Henry realized Drew planned his death all along, and that made his pain all the worse. His son, not even seven years old, sacrificed himself to save everyone.

Henry realized why the Birdman didn’t want Henry with Drew at the end. His words to Drew at the wedding were prophetic and Drew kept his promise, but it was clear Henry’s presence could hamper Drew’s success. If Henry had been present, he would not have let him sacrifice himself, even if it meant failure.

“Oh God, baby, why? Why did you do this?”

Henry’s pain was excruciating. He cried so hard he could barely breathe, and he moaned his grief, raging at God for what his son was forced to do.

The Wolf-Spirit howled her grief, and as her cry faded, the incarnations, the tortured, broken fragments of Drew’s Soul, faded with it.

 

 

The Physical Realm – Waffle House Parking Lot

 

They were all on their last leg, exhausted and pushing everything they had left in them into their Shields. The Master sensed their weakening and gathered his strength for an attack that would destroy them.

Lane heard it first; a sound behind the thunder and lightning, reverberating beyond Earth into the Heavens.

 

<><>

 

The Master stopped, deathly still. He knew that sound echoing through the Physical Realm; he suppressed it for eighty thousand years! He had it locked away, in the darkest and deepest well in his Mind, but Henry tore the lid off that well, establishing a connection between his past and present Mind.

The doctor knew, and explained to all of them at one point, the danger of bottling up emotions. Emotions had a way of magnifying when suppressed, often coming out stronger and changing forms when they finally emerged.

The agony, pain, and guilt The Master felt in the seconds after he killed his brother resided in that well over the long span of years. Occasionally they tried to break free when The Master Dreamed and heard his brother’s screams, but he pushed them down behind the chains and locks into the darkest corner of his Mind and Heart.

A second crack of Thunder filled the skies, and The Master flinched as though struck, paralyzed with emotion unlike anything he had ever felt. He fought it, but the dam was already broken and opening wider as emotions from eighty thousand years ago rushed forward through time to the present.

The last crack of thunder hit, mirroring the third blow of the Stone, and he heard The Dark One’s laughter in his memory, but it echoed through the skies of the present as well.

The Stone rested in his hand again, just as it did in the memory before he fled to cast it into the Water. He looked at it, seeing the smoke seething out of it. The weight and smell of it drove the memories into him. He saw his brother’s face, crushed and barely recognizable.

Henry appeared, bloody and beaten, holding Drew’s body, cradling his son, wailing his pain and agony.

The Master saw Drew in his original form, and not as Drew. His Mind transported back through the centuries. He was a boy again, only nine years old, deceived by The Dark One into killing his only brother. He loved his brother; their Minds and Hearts were bound together, but The Dark One planted seeds of jealousy and nurtured them until they took hold, and in a premeditated attack he struck his brother with the Stone; once, twice, three times, caving in his skull.

As a boy, he didn’t have speech of the tongue. His Heart wailed over his deed. When he saw his brother’s lifeless body, he innately sensed the finality of his act. He wanted to take it back, but he couldn’t, and he cried. He cried with the purity of a young boy who didn’t realize the consequences of his actions beforehand, only to have them thrust upon him mercilessly.

The first memory of The Master wailed and howled his meaning.

Brother, forgive me! I didn’t mean it! Come back to me!

The Master of the present voiced the words, echoing the thoughts and intent of his first self. His eyes, which hadn’t shed a tear in eighty thousand years, spilled tears over his ruddy, rough cheeks, and the words escaped his lips, mirroring what was happening in his Mind.

The words themselves were barely a whisper, but he spoke them, and they were heard throughout Creation.

“Brother, forgive me!”

Henry and Drew bridged The Master’s past with his present self, and the emotions were real and powerful and all-consuming. He was caught off-guard and had no defense against his own memories. The Curse was powerless against them.

The sincerity of his emotions, coupled with the words, started not just a ripple, but a tsunami. In the Eschphene High Temple, Németh’s heart leapt inside his massive body as he heard the words uttered across all Realms.

The men Listened and heard the tearing sound as the Curse ripped out of The Master, and they Understood the meaning. Drew did it! Drew and Henry did it!

Their Hearts would have leapt for joy except they saw Henry appear with Drew’s tiny body, bathed in blood and lifeless in his arms. Drew was cradled against Henry’s big chest, his powerful arms holding him tight, yet everything about his posture made it clear how much pain he was in.

As Henry appeared, they threw themselves in him, and the depth of his grief ripped their Hearts. The suddenness of it, the shock, took them by surprise. The Wolf-Spirit was with them, and she howled for her beloved cub, the charge she had come to love as one of her own. Cavall mirrored her, and the two wolves howled the song of the broken pack.

Henry was soaked from the rain falling over his bare upper body, his neck thickened as his bruised and bloody face looked to the Heavens. Veins showed in his neck and across his shoulders from the strain; his body nearly purple from the pain and turmoil that filled him, incapacitated in his grief.

As soon as Henry appeared, Drew’s Soul floated gently out of his chest. It was beautiful but broken, containing the thousands of fragments of his other lives. It was the most beautifully complex Soul that had ever existed.

Everything stopped and became deathly still.

The Curse was gone from The Master, who stood still as stone, stunned and unable to comprehend what happened. For the time being, the Curse remained in effect over Mankind, but The Master was no longer protected from Death by its Power, and the Team would now be able to remove it from Mankind if they wished.

Any active spells or Commands Powered by the Curse broke. People all over the world stopped, shaking their heads as if waking up from a bad dream. The young soldiers collapsed in exhaustion as the civilians they had been defending against stopped their mindless assault.

Aaron and Albrecht, their own tears flowing freely, heard Henry’s wail of grief, and knew instantly Drew was dead. Henry and Drew were victorious, but the cost was high, and one they never expected to pay.

The men, in their Minds and Hearts where their Souls were One, cried out over what they witnessed. They dove into Henry as soon as he appeared, holding him tight in their Hearts, trying to deal with his suffering and their own. No words were spoken as they shared everything with one another.

As the silence fell, Uriel appeared in a flash of Light, his White wings fluttering softly, holding him aloft, shining brightly in his full armor.

Henry looked up when he realized Uriel was there, and he begged, “No! Please! You can’t take him!”

The desperation in his voice was heart-wrenching.

Uriel’s eyes shone with stars and the depth of time, and his voice was compassionate as he started to say, “Henry Ross, I…”

A shout from Ken and every man on the Team covered up whatever Uriel was going to say. They vanished from where they stood and physically appeared around Henry, encircling him.

As soon as The Master stopped his attack, all the Power they put towards their defense went back into them; they were once again filled with Power. Everything happened simultaneously, and Lane and the Mentalists sent a thick rope of Healing through all of them, restoring them.

Leroy’s Fire left them, and they stood on their own, towering pinnacles of Light and strength, Warriors of the Order.

Uriel calmly watched them as Ken said, “You’re not takin’ him. He’s been through too much for it ‘ta end like this. He did his job, but we’re gonna Heal him. He did everythin’ asked of him and more. He’s a fuckin’ hero, and he saved everybody! He’s comin’ home with his dad, and us, and you aren’t gonna stop that from happenin’.”

Ken stood tall, facing Uriel, backed by his Brothers and his husband. They noted, especially Brad, how much like Michael he looked at the moment. Ken’s voice had an edge to it they rarely heard, and his Avatar glowed, filling his words with Conviction.

Henry begged them, “Please, guys. Fix him. Bring him back!”

His voice was so thick he could barely talk. The pleading note in the voice of their Brother tore at their Hearts, while Henry continued rocking Drew as if he was still alive, kissing the top of his head and whispering soothing words in his ears. He used Drew’s t-shirt to wipe the blood away, but with so much damage it was impossible.

Uriel looked to the Heavens, and his voice echoed out, “Brothers! I need you!”

The nine Archangels appeared behind him. The assumption was that Uriel was calling them to back him up, and they were about to have to fight their angelic grandfathers.

Ken looked at Michael and said, “Don’t make us fight you on this.”

Michael looked sad. All the Archangels did. The changes in them, interacting with their Nephilim offspring, were farther-reaching than they realized. Maybe it was part of God’s plan all along, and Ken and Brad and the others were his way of introducing changes to Creation. God said they were Random and Unfettered, and if that were true then he wasn’t controlling them or guiding their actions. It was almost as if he shook the cosmic birdcage to see what would happen when everything settled down.

The conflict in Uriel’s face was apparent, bordering on confusion.

Raphael moved forward and put a hand on Uriel’s armored shoulder. When he did, all their eyes went White, and it was apparent they were communing with one another.

Ken nodded to Lane: Do it, while they’re distracted. Guys, get ready. There’s no tellin’ how they’re gonna react.

They were all One and in agreement. Lane sent a White rope of Healing into Drew, but it vanished before it touched him, just as it had with Ken under the Blood Curse.

Fuck!

Henry’s eyes widened with hope, but when the Healing dissipated his Heart broke completely.

The eyes of the Archangels dimmed, and Uriel’s wings fluttered as he lighted on the ground. Uriel walked forward, but Bryan intervened, blocking him.

“Grandfather, no.”

Uriel looked at Bryan, his grandson, so alike yet different; handsome, solid Bryan, the gentlest of them all with the fiercest loyalty.

Bryan’s eyes widened when he saw the Light trails of tears covering Uriel’s cheeks. All the Archangels had them, and none of the men were sure what it meant.

Uriel’s deep voice was gentle, and he slowly reached up and put a gauntleted hand on Bryan’s shoulder. He cupped Bryan’s thick neck and part of his jaw and asked, “Do you trust me?”

Bryan looked into Uriel’s Ageless eyes. He looked deep, into the stars, staring for a moment. He found what he was looking for, and his own deep voice said, “I do,” as he stepped aside.

What Bryan sensed in Uriel was shared with all of them.

Uriel knelt and cupped Drew’s Soul, floating over his chest. He held it aloft, looking at it.

The other Archangels wrapped their wings around their Brother, and a hot wind started to blow. It felt soothing over their sweaty skin, wholesome even, and it dried their tears. A feeling of euphoria entered them, and their chests caught with the sudden intake of breath.

Small sparks began shooting out of the Soul Uriel held aloft. At first, it was one, then a few more, and after a few seconds thousands of them streamed out, swirling around the beautiful orb in Uriel’s hand like fireflies. At first glance, they were beautiful, like small golden snowflakes, but their enhanced vision coupled with their Understanding saw the flaws in them. The tiny crystalline sparks put off the Light of human Souls, but they were misshapen and broken.

The Archangels pulled the tortured Soul fragments out of Drew. Brad realized what they were first, and then everyone through him. They recognized the ones they met while Drew was learning to control his abilities; Rhavi, Ferguson, and the first version of Drew that had no name. Those were a few of his incarnations that were sane, but so many were broken to the point where they weren’t.

Uriel and his Brothers separated over eleven thousand fragments, leaving Drew’s Soul pure and intact. When they were done, Uriel wrapped the incarnations in the comfort of his Wings.

“Rest now little ones. Find the peace you should have had long ago. There is a special place in Heaven for you all, and you will be happy and whole there, I promise you.”

Gabriel stepped forward and took Drew’s Soul from Uriel, cupping it reverently.

Gabriel’s Voice, the Herald of God, spoke loud and clear, “I hold the Soul of the Second Redeemer. The child whose bravery and compassion are unparalleled among Mankind. Many humans are heroic; all of you here today are among them. Drew Ross holds his place among you, and all the fallen heroes, with no shame, as an equal. Mankind will never know the gratitude they owe this child, yet we honor him, and he will always have a place waiting at Home when his time comes to leave the Physical Realm.”

The other Archangels went down on bended knee, paying homage to Drew and his selfless act.

Raphael looked at Brad and said, “It will mean more to all of you to Heal the child yourselves, than if we did it.”

The tears were thick on all their faces, and the smiles. Henry finally grasped what was about to happen and whispered, his voice trembling and barely audible.

“Please! I can’t stand seeing him this way!”

Powerful, thick ropes of Azure, Crimson, and Gold, came out of each of Drew’s Uncles. Lane pulled from Henry as well, and he wove them into an intricate and delicate Healing flow that would be gentle. Darren’s brow concentrated and with the Understanding of them all, the bones in Drew’s skull reformed into their proper shapes and positions. They cleaned the blood away at the same time, and the Healing flow went into Drew’s small body. In a matter of seconds he was fully restored.

Gabriel held Drew’s Soul, and Uriel blew gently on it, saying, “Return and live once more, Drew Ross.”

The Soul bobbed over and sank into Drew’s chest. It only took a second, and his eyes fluttered open.

He was cradled against his father’s bare chest and in his powerful arms. Henry was still covered in dirt and sweat. The first thing Drew felt when he woke up was his father’s warm strength wrapping him up, and the smell he found so comforting; his sweat and aftershave.

Henry broke down in relief, pressing his face against Drew, his tears falling on Drew’s face.

Drew sounded sleepy, “Hi, Daddy. Why are you crying?”

Henry pulled back, brushing the hair off Drew’s forehead and looking into his eyes. It took him a second to talk, and he had to swallow a few times.

“I’m just glad you’re okay, Tiger!”

Drew’s next question surprised all of them, “Daddy, where’s my brother?”

All eyes turned to The Master, who stood alone and apart, looking dazed, confused, and out of place. He noticed their stares and realized they could see his face. His eyes met Drew’s, and they were the same color.

The Black nimbus returned as his lips pulled back, and his Dark Shields flared. He was still the First Soul, and Powerful, but without the Curse he was now vulnerable.

Ken immediately saw a difference in The Master; his cockiness and supreme confidence were gone, and there was an air of wariness not present before.

Drew stood and took Henry’s hand. Henry was still shirtless, wearing only his short Kevlar leggings and foot covering. Drew was bare-chested as well, his jeans rolled up, and wearing his sneakers. His red hoodie was tied around his waist, and he was dirty. The blood was gone, but the smudges and sweat from the humidity in the valley still covered him and Henry.

The Master’s posture was defensive, and it looked to Ken as if he was about to turn and run. None of them knew Drew’s intent as he approached his brother. He stopped far enough away not to be within arm’s reach with Henry beside him.

He looked so small and pale compared to the grotesque muscular giant. Henry, One with the Team, had his Shields over Drew.

Drew said, “I know you were tricked by the bad man. I saw him with you. I heard what he said.”

The Master practically hissed, “You know nothing!”

Drew was in adult-mode and said, “I’m sorry.”

“I do not want your pity. I wish nothing but your death. You won, brother. The Order has won. The Dark One is not finished with you, any of you. The Battle will continue as it always has.”

The unmistakable sound of metal sliding through flesh and bone rang out, and The Master’s body arched up, his feet leaving the ground.

Luke appeared behind The Master, one arm around his throat and the other driving the knife through his torso from behind.

“You are so right… but without you. I wished for your failure so I can deal with these abominations myself. Lucky me, my wish came true.”

Henry’s reflexes were blindingly fast, and he grabbed Drew, but before he could move any further Darren grabbed them both and teleported them behind the Team.

The air filled with the sound of blades leaving scabbards as the Archangels spun, drawing their weapons at Luke’s sudden appearance.

The skies darkened once again, and fresh lightning and thunder filled the clouds. A sudden chill filled the air, and when the men glanced up, the sky was filled with the wings and cloven hooves of Luke’s army.

Luke smiled, “Yes, with his failure, the Oathstone’s Binding is gone, and I am free from its influence.”

A Black Talon shot through The Master’s body, consuming him, and Luke stepped back in a defensive posture looking cool and confident.

Brad noted the weapon Luke held was the dagger crafted by Orophir and left in his cave.

“You did well keeping the knowledge of how to defeat The Master from me. I am impressed you managed to pull it off. I know the cost you paid. Father is so good at pulling the cost out of his pawns. I am beginning to think he is just a cruel old codger, who enjoys watching others suffer.”

Before Michael replied, Ken stepped forward and asked, “Do you really want to push things now?”

“Do not think, Ken, because you managed to trick me once I cannot annihilate you all. My army is here, along with the stragglers of The Master’s servants that came back with their tails between their hooves. Putting the Dragon into play was a brilliant move, but premature. His Fire is spent for now, and you cannot use him against me. You are still ignorant and playing with toys far beyond your scope.”

Raphael said, “Brite One, stop this.”

Raphael apparently pushed a button, and Luke shouted, “NEVER call me that again!”

“Things are changing Luke.”

“You are so right, Brother.”

The way he said ‘Brother’ was an insult.

Ken: Dar, get Drew, Henry, the doc, Albrecht, Jacob and his crew to the Lab. I gotta feelin’ things’re about ‘ta get ugly.

There was a slight pause, and Darren replied: No can do. Transporters are down.

Luke grinned and said, “No one is going anywhere. In fact, I was waiting until everyone arrived. Now that I’m sure everyone is here, we can begin. Show yourself, Orophir!”

Much to the surprise of everyone, Orophir appeared as he removed the ring used to cloak himself. The Archangels stood still as stone, watching events unfold. They knew a confrontation with Luke and his Army could escalate out of control. The Powers unleashed in such an encounter could rip a hole in Reality.

Istariel, Ruviel, and Telcharan appeared beside Orophir.

“Ahhhh, I see you made some new friends! I’m surprised they didn’t destroy you, knowing you’re my son.”

“They accept me as I am, father. You kept me ignorant to control me. I will never be your puppet again.”

“You were wise to hide from me. You are to blame for my plans coming to ruin here. I know it was you who revealed Thomin’s location to Michael. If not for you, the Vault and all its treasures would be mine. By now, the Physical and Spiritual Realms would be under my Rule.”

“I am done hiding, father. I am here to stop you. These Nephilim are my friends. They gave me Sanctuary when I had nowhere else to go. You will not harm any of them, and you will leave here, never to return.”

Luke smiled, retorting, “I was counting on your being here.”

Pointing to Ken and the guys he continued, “You see, I am not here to destroy them, at least not today. No, today I am here to take my vengeance on you.”

Black Talons shot out of Luke’s hands and hit a Shield surrounding Orophir. Istariel, Ruviel, and Telcharan drew their weapons but backed off.

The Team started to move forward, but Istariel’s voice filled their Minds.

Do not interfere!

Michael and the other Archangels did not try to intervene. Michael had doubts about Orophir from the beginning and wanted him destroyed. Raphael convinced his Brothers Orophir had a part to play in events, and they needed to leave him be. At the very least, Luke would be weakened after his fight with his son, and they could confront him after.

Orophir prepared well. His mastery of the Runes was exemplary, and he outfitted himself specifically against his father. Luke’s initial attacks were ineffective.

Drew cried, not understanding why no one helped his friend. Henry held him, turning his face away so he wouldn’t see what was going on.

The Team channeled and pulled from all their Sources of Power, and Brad Shielded them tightly. The forces around them were escalating as Orophir went on the offensive, retaliating against his father. His skill was remarkable, and his use of the Runes ingenious. The doctor saw and learned much from what Orophir managed to accomplish.

For a moment, Orophir had Luke on the defensive. His attacks were Powerful and well planned, but ultimately he fought The Dark One, and it seemed as though he underestimated just how Powerful his father was. It wasn’t long before Luke closed the gap between them, breaking through Orophir’s Shields.

“Did you really think your trinkets would make you a match for me?”

The dagger Luke used to kill The Master was still in his hand.

“You left me this gift in your cave. I will now kill you with it, and every last vestige of your existence will be gone. It will be as if you never were. I admit I made a mistake in siring you, and I now correct that mistake.”

Orophir struggled, but without his items and matrices, he had no chance against Luke. He was convincing in his struggle, making his efforts appear real. He had every intention of dying by his father’s hand.

The dagger was the most complex item he had ever crafted, folding Runes in on themselves multiple times in layer after layer of deception and Power. He built a weapon specifically designed to kill his father. Unbeknownst to Luke, the blade was unfinished, needing one last component to activate it. Pure Nephilim didn’t have Souls, not in the sense humans did. Ken and the others were Original Men first and their Souls were as God intended them to be, untouched by the Curse and uncorrupted.

As Luke drove the dagger into Orophir’s chest, the dull, lifeless gem in the pommel came to life, drawing on Orophir’s essence. Orophir created a type of Blood Curse against his father, but rather than blood he used his own Lifeforce. Being a direct descendant of Luke’s, it was targeted at his father, and there were no other offspring to affect a ‘cure.’

The gem in the pommel exploded with Light, and Luke staggered back. Orophir screamed as he was sucked into the gem, empowering its Magic.

Luke’s eyes went wide, and he whispered in disbelief, “What have you done?”

He bent over in pain and fell to the ground. When Ken and the guys trapped Luke in the Four Corners, they heard him scream. Lane caused him extreme pain that day, and they remembered that sound. Luke was in real agony.

His form started to fragment and break apart as if he were a mirror, breaking up. His scream turned to anger as he exerted all his might, fighting off whatever it was Orophir did to him.

Whatever Power was attacking Luke, he matched it. He was one of the first beings created before Time, an Archangel of the Highest Order, and even after his Fall he was one of the most powerful beings in existence. Few could match his strength, and those that could stood by watching, stunned at what they witnessed.

The other Archangels felt the Power escalating and knew they had to act. One of their primary roles was to Protect Reality and keep the forces of their Battle in check lest they unravel Existence. Michael ordered them, and their Wings spread, forming a circle around Luke.

A tear in the fabric of Reality was opening, and they had to contain it. They heard the ripping sound as it got larger.

Where the Archangels and everyone else saw nothing but blackness through the tear, Lane and Loy saw something. There should be nothing there… it was the ‘nothing’ from before Creation… yet they now knew there was a previous Creation, one unknown and undetectable to the Higher Order.

Lane: Guys, there’s something there!

Loy: I see it too!

No one else saw anything, but Loy and Lane not only saw it, they Listened and heard something coming from the other side of the tear!

Luke screamed one last time, and he was sucked through the tear before it closed!

The sudden silence was deafening.

No one said anything for a moment, and it was Lane who spoke first.

“Is he gone?”

The Archangels looked stoic; their expressions grim.

Raphael sounded sad when he answered, “We do not know, Lane. We have never witnessed such an occurrence. There should not have been any place for him to go. He is most likely destroyed.”

Raphael looked directly at Brad, and his eyes had questions. They agreed not to bring up Allenor and the knowledge of the previous Creation to their angelic relatives. The way Raphael looked at him, Brad realized he knew something.

Brad replied, “I’m sorry if he’s gone. I know he wasn’t always like he is now. I was hoping we could find a way to bring him back.”

Raphael sent a private thought to Brad: Perhaps you still will. I will come to you soon to discuss this in private. You know something, but now is not the time.

Brad nodded almost imperceptibly, and Raphael turned away.

Henry said, “Guys, I need to get Drew back to the Lab. We need to clean up, eat, and then I know a little boy who needs a nap.”

Drew was practically asleep on Henry’s shoulder already. The excitement, once it stopped, wore him out. Cavall and the Wolf-Spirit were both by Henry’s side, staying as close to Drew as possible.

Henry still had tears in his eyes. His emotions wouldn’t settle. The enormity of events were still in him, and even though Drew was in his arms, safe and sound, he had died.

Michael abruptly announced, “We must go.”

He walked to Ken and put his gauntleted hands on his grandson’s heavy shoulders, shaking him slightly.

His ageless eyes misted over, and in his deep voice, he said, “I thought I lost you again, yet here you are.”

Ken chuckled, “Yeah, well I had to stick around a while longer. Someone has to keep these ladies in line.”

Ken’s throat thickened in reaction to Michael’s emotions.

Michael whispered in his ear, “I am glad you made it. I can no longer imagine my existence without you. Be well, Ken.”

Each of the Archangels said their farewells to their respective grandchildren. Emotions were high from the events of the day, and from the expressions of true love and gratitude towards each other.

Istariel, Ruviel, and Telcharan left unobtrusively. Everyone thought their behavior odd and wondered at it. They would have to call Istariel next time they were on ZEUS and find out if something was wrong.

 

Ken and Brad as One – private thoughts

 

Naked, Ken grabbed hold of Brad, pulling him into their signature full-bodied hug. After the stress of the day, they felt perfect against each other. Each man needed the comfort of the other, and they both gave and received it in equal measure. Resting their chins in the crux of each other’s sturdy shoulders, they held each other while their hands roamed over shoulders and backs.

It took time for their emotions to run their course. The impact of all the sacrifices hit them hard, and the emotional rollercoaster of events exhausted them.

After a time, when they were calmer, Brad asked: Fuck, Ken. Where do we go from here?

I don’t know, B. The sun will come up tomorrow, like always. We’ll get up, have hot sex, eat, maybe have more hot sex, and then do our PT, get all sweaty, have more hot sex. You know the drill. Life will go on.

Brad grinned: I like the hot sex parts… can we just do that for a day or two?

Ken laughed: How about we declare next week, ‘hot sex week.’ Everybody needs a break after this.

Brad chuckled: I think you should. It’s going to happen anyway after all this, so why not make it official?

Ken got that little kid grin on his face.

Fuck, that’s a great idea.

Yeah, that’s why I thought of it and you didn’t.

Ken laughed and hugged Brad tighter.

You fucker.

After a short pause, Ken continued.

I just needed ‘ta hold you for a while ‘ta settle myself. You know you’re my rock.

Brad sniffed and choked up.

I lost you today, Ken. I really thought you were gone this time.

Both men teared up with the renewed spike of emotion in Brad, and Ken hugged him even tighter.

I’m not, B. I’m right here. You guys brought me back.

Brad breathed deep taking in Ken’s scent. The proof he was alive was in his arms and helped calm his emotions.

We can work through that later tonight. As long as we’re together, we can sort it out.

The rest of the guys should be ready. I know they’re all doin’ the same thing we are.

Yeah… we need to have a quick pow-wow and decide what to do next.

Fuck, you’re a buzzkill sometimes.

A grin followed Ken’s comment.

Just one more thing.

Ken’s hands slipped down and cupped Brad’s solid ass cheeks, giving them a firm squeeze.

Don’t start something we can’t finish!

Sorry, I just had ‘ta be sure.

Sure of what? My ass?

Ken’s grin became even more impish.

Well, yeah. You pulled the biggest win ever out of your ass, and I want to make sure it’s still firm and solid. Somethin’ that big might have left you all loose and flabby. So, you know… I want to make sure it’s in top shape for later tonight.

Brad saw the grin on Ken’s face, and he melted. He knew why Ken said what he did… Ken always did things like that to make Brad feel better or pull his thoughts out of a dark direction. Fuck, he loved his husband so much. As intended, Ken’s smile drove off Brad’s thoughts of almost losing him, and his own smile in return warmed Ken in the same way.

As Brad took them back to themselves, he pulled them together one last time, and both men relished the feel of their bodies together and the emotions they felt for one another.

 

 

The Physical Realm – Waffle House Parking Lot

 

Ken was about to holler out, but saw Drew asleep on Henry’s shoulder.

B, pull everybody but Drew into a Construct of the Conference Room.

Everyone appeared; the soldiers along with Craig and Kent, the doctor, Albrecht, Henry, and the rest of the Team. Brad expanded the room and had enough chairs for everyone. The Team wore their Kevlar uniforms, the soldiers their combat fatigues, and the doctor and Albrecht were in their usual attire.

Ken stood at the lectern with a big smile on his handsome face.

“Sorry in advance doc… but we fuckin’ did it!”

His grin was infectious, and even the doctor smiled back.

Ken continued, “Henry, I know you wanna get Drew back. No time is passin’, but I’ll still make this quick. I want your input. We need ‘ta make a few big decisions, and the rest can wait ‘til later.”

His expression turned serious and he said, “Doc, I’m lookin’ ‘ta you and Albrecht mostly on this, but I want everybody’s opinion. How are we gonna handle cleanup? Brad put the entire world ‘ta sleep, and The Master woke ’em all back up like a zombie apocalypse. It’d be an effort, but we can make ’em all forget everythin’, or we can let it be a wakeup call that change is clear and present.”

He went around the room and let everyone speak, including the soldiers, saving the doc and Albrecht for last.

Ken knew what the guys would say, including Henry. He knew them as well as they knew themselves. The young soldiers had their own opinions as to why, but they all concurred to not cover events up.

When it came to the doctor, he said, “I have heard your wisdom, and it is sound. The old ways did not always work. Sometimes secrecy is necessary, however, in this case, I think you are all correct. I will only say… the more time that passes, the more difficult it will be to tamper with memories. We should monitor the news over the globe and adjust our reactions if necessary.”

Albrecht concurred with the doctor.

As Ken was about to wrap things up, Leroy’s voice entered Bryan’s Mind.

ABBA. SLEEP COMES.

Bryan looked anxious, so Ken said, “Bry, you and Lane to go tuck Leroy in. Dar can get everyone back home where they need ‘ta be. Everybody sleep in, and we’ll gather tomorrow afternoon to do a full debriefin’.”

Brad sent them all back to their bodies in the parking lot at Waffle House.

Ken looked, but Miss Lula was gone, and he didn’t see Frank or the Birdman.

Bryan pulled Henry aside, “Hey, Henry, I know Drew is zoned out, but do you want to bring him with Lane and me to see Leroy?”

Lane piped in, “It’s not every day you get to meet a Dragon.”

Henry gently shook Drew, and he lifted his head, his eyes squinted.

“Hey, Tiger. I’m sorry to wake you up, but Uncle Bryan and Uncle Lane want to know if you want to meet Leroy? He’s going back to sleep.”

The idea of meeting a Dragon woke him up, and he said, “Yes, Daddy!”

Henry passed Drew off to Bryan, and he vanished in a flash of Emerald Green Power. As soon as Lane saw through Bryan’s eyes, he took himself and Henry to the Cave.

 

Leroy’s Cave

 

They appeared in Leroy’s Cave, and the immense Dragon was still awake. His enormous golden eyes looked at them.

The cave was sweltering, but Henry and Drew were still shirtless.

Bryan and Lane took off most of their Kevlar, leaving on the shorts and foot covering.

I MUST SLEEP NOW, ABBA.

Bryan saw with his Understanding Leroy was exhausted. They drew from him so heavily his Fire was low, and he needed to rest and recharge. Sleep was the only way.

Bryan, with Drew on his hip, moved forward.

“Leroy, this is Drew! I wanted him to meet you while you’re awake.”

Drew’s eyes were as round as saucers.

“Hello, Mister Leroy! You’re big!”

Leroy didn’t reply, but he lowered his face, stopping within a foot of Drew.

Bryan had to reassure him, saying, “You’re safe, Tiger. This is his way of saying hello. Reach out and touch him. He’s soft.”

Drew tentatively reached out, rubbing the soft hide of Leroy’s snout. One of his teeth was larger than Bryan and Drew together, but Drew felt no danger. He whipped his head around with a huge smile, said, “Daddy, I petted a Dragon!”

Henry grinned, “Wow! Not many little boys ever get to do that!”

Henry moved forward and touched Leroy in the same manner. He was shocked at how soft his hide was.

The golden orbs of Leroy’s eyes were starting to droop, so Bryan said, “Okay, Leroy. Time to rest. You’re were amazing today! We couldn’t have done it without you! I love you, you big fucker.”

WILL YOU SING TO ME UNTIL I FALL ASLEEP?

Lane’s guitar coalesced out of nothing, and he started gently strumming. His Avatar glowed softly, and his music filled the cavern.

He sang a lullaby, the same one he played in the alternate reality, as Leroy put his head down and closed his eyes. By the second stanza, he was purring and sound asleep.

Lane raised his eyebrows, “Well that didn’t take long. We really tired him out!”

Lane sent his own silent thanks to the great beast, who saved him and his husband and the rest of his Brothers. He wondered what effect having Leroy awake might have. Something in the creature changed since they interacted with him. His rage didn’t seem as bad, and Lane hoped that wasn’t a bad thing, but only time would tell.

 

The Physical Realm – Waffle House Parking Lot

 

As Bryan and Lane disappeared with Henry and Drew, Loy heard barking immediately followed by a loud groan. He jogged over to the overturned panel truck Tag and Olive drove into The Master.

He climbed up and saw Bullet, the dog he got for Tag and Olive, and his eyes teared up again at the thought of his friends. He recognized the man in the cab as Raphael, the young gang member that he and Rick ran into the morning they met Henry.

Loy’s voice was filled with confusion and he said, “Raph?”

“Loy?! Damn! You’re alright? Did we make it in time? I must have fallen asleep!”

Loy lowered his hand and pulled Raph up and through the door.

As soon as Loy grabbed Raph’s hand, he Read the young man and knew everything about his life since the last time they met a few years prior. Everything about his journey with Tag and Olive was there too.

“Where’s Tag and Olive? They said we had to get here, or something bad was going to happen to you and Rick and your buddies.”

The look on Loy’s face indicated terrible news, and Raph asked, “Are they okay?”

Loy lowered his head.

“No, Raph. They didn’t make it. They gave their lives to save ours.”

Raph looked stunned, and his eyes teared up.

“Damn. I only just met them. All this shit… I don’t know what to think.”

“You did the world a favor Raph. If you hadn’t helped them, all of us would be dead, and Evil would have won. You’re a hero.”

“I don’t know what to say. You changed my life… then I meet this old couple, and we figure out our connection to you… and now they’re dead. I believe everything they told me about you guys. The Order, the Enemy… the way things really are.”

Raph looked overwhelmed. His eyes were red, and he sniffed.

Loy nodded, “It’s all true, Raph. After today the world will be more aware of at least some of it. You can be a voice of reason in the craziness that’s about to follow.”

“I don’t know what I can do.”

“Just tell the truth. We have to go, but if things get too rough, think back to that morning when we first met and you’ll know how to reach me. You’re a good man, Raph. I knew it then, and you proved me right.”

Loy held out his hand, and Raph took it warmly and firmly, and Loy pulled him into a hug.

Bullet was still down in the cab of the truck barking at Loy clearly saying, “Don’t forget me!”

Raph nearly jumped out of his skin when Bullet appeared in Loy’s arms out of thin air. Loy winked at him and turned away to rejoin the others, who were waiting for him.

Raph stood by the overturned panel truck, looking a bit lost. Not knowing what else to do, he reached for his cell phone. He hoped an Uber driver was working who could come give him a ride.

When he turned to look, the parking lot was empty. All the men were gone, and it was eerily silent. Unconscious people lay everywhere, where the soldiers had either incapacitated them or, in extreme cases, killed them.

He moved to start checking on people, helping to wake them up, trying to figure out what he was going to tell them. Loy said the truth…

 

<><><>

 

In the next few minutes, the young soldiers were back in Uluru, Australia. Kelly was relieved to see them all safe, especially Jacob. They hit the showers, trying to work through the events of the day. Albrecht promised he would be there later in the evening.

 

<><><>

 

The rest of the Team appeared in the Lab, with Henry, Drew, the doctor, and Albrecht. All of them were subdued after the chaotic and adrenalin filled day. Emotional undercurrents were still running through them; relief, joy, guilt, and sorrow not the least over their losses. They remained together as One, each supporting the others in their own unique way.

As soon as they materialized in the Lab, Sally rushed to hug everybody, wanting to know what happened. Other than telling her they won, Ken asked her if she could wait for the debriefing the next afternoon. They were exhausted and wanted to clean up and be with their partners to rest.

Henry, with Drew in his arms, immediately went to the showers to get his son cleaned up and changed. Drew was exhausted and kept falling asleep on his feet. Henry had to literally hold him up to wash him. Brad kept them all Linked, and even as Henry washed Drew, he rested in the presence of his Brothers. Drew was in the Link as well, but so tired he was only aware of their presence surrounding him and making him feel safe.

Their intense love for him, their relief that he was alive and well, and their pride at his success wrapped him up as he floated in the liquid golden Light of their Souls. In the place where their Souls resided, each man held him and kissed him on his forehead, or cheek, or the top of his head as they told him how much he meant to them and how proud they were of him.

Henry lay down with Drew, who was out like a light, but remained awake, exhausted, and unable to sleep. His Mind spun, running over everything that happened, and fresh tears came he couldn’t hold back.

As badly as Ken wanted some alone time with Brad, he wanted to sleep in the Lab that night. In fact, all the guys did… they wanted to be close to Henry and Drew. As tired as they were, none of them could sleep. Most of them were horny; the adrenaline of the day charged their libidos, and they wanted to work off the excess energy together, but after their private time they felt the need to be close with each other and to be there for Henry and Drew.

They had all matured so much in the last four years. Sex was, and always would be, an essential part of their relationships. It fueled many aspects of their abilities, so it would always play a significant role. However, they had come to realize the intimate bonds between them were what really drove them.

The fulfillment and closeness, both physically and emotionally, was more important, and the trust between them in every aspect of their lives… trust not to be judged, or hurt, at least not intentionally, but if so, the trust to work things out. The knowledge that no matter what, they always had each other was a deep and profound foundation of their lives.

Brad cast his Mind out, and everyone was still awake. After the events of the day, everything they worked towards for years, Henry and Drew breaking the Curse over The Master, The Master’s demise, Ken dying, Drew dying, Tag and Olive’s sacrifice… the grueling punishment everyone took… the culmination of it all was hard to wrap their heads around, and it was all over, or at least the first part. It was anticlimactic and a bit of a letdown. They were familiar with the psychological and emotional aftermath that often occurred after a vital mission; it used to happen when they ran missions in Syria, and it never went away… this time, however, the stakes were so much bigger. Mankind now had a chance!

Brad pulled everyone down deep; Ten, Five, One, plus Henry, and they appeared naked to one another. Brad filled the area with comfortable cushions; it wasn’t a Construct, but he made Constructed items inside that space. They formed a circle, lounging together, their legs intertwined and arms around shoulders so they could talk.

The freedom of being naked, emotionally and physically, and having their bodies pressed against one another, soothed them. The Paradox of the place let Henry rest against each of them at the same time, and they let him talk. They lived through everything he and Drew experienced, and they let him cry his heart out again over seeing Drew so brutally killed; they cried with him, and their pain ran just as deep. The idea of a six-year-old having the wherewithal to understand the concept of self-sacrifice on such a scale was mind-boggling.

As Henry cried, each of them held him, giving him comfort as only a Brother could. They understood his pain and carried him through it; walking with him through it all. They ruffled his hair, or hugged him tightly, rubbing his back or shoulders. They were One, and it happened individually yet simultaneously in that place where they were One.

They wondered how Drew would be affected by what Uriel did, at no longer carrying the incarnations within him. Only time would tell, and they would all be there for him. Henry was sure Drew would be back to normal soon enough. Kids were resilient, and he had Henry and the guys to watch over him and love him as only they could.

Bill and Kevin had Tommy and Brett with them in their bed, wanting their new sons to know their dads were alive and well. The boys were upset the entire time the Team was gone, and Sally had to continually reassure them that everything was going to turn out alright, all the while hoping it would.

They talked and worked through the emotions of the day and the past four years. They knew more trials lay ahead, but with Luke gone, at least for a time, they were given a reprieve. They hung shit on one another and occasionally ganged up on each other as Brothers do. They rested in one another in the amazingly unique way that only they could. None of them wanted to leave; just as when they were One with their partners and in each other’s Hearts, they wanted to be together in that place where time stood still.

Eventually, their conversation turned towards what they were going to do moving forward. Were they going to try and remove the Curse over mankind, or give things a few years without The Master driving events to see how humans did? No decisions were made, but thoughts and ideas were shared and bandied about.

The Power vacuum of The Master’s absence would send the surviving Enemy Agents into a tailspin. There would be massive power grabs, and they would be busy for years dealing with them, regardless of what direction they decided to go in.

They were sure Luke wasn’t gone. With Loy and Lane seeing something through the rift… it had to be related to Allenor. They had no idea how long it would take in the Physical Realm, but they were sure Luke would return, and they knew he would want vengeance. They had to prepare themselves and work on getting new bases up and running and find the other Gifts. They would need all the Power they could muster to deal with Luke once he resurfaced.

Ken’s words to Luke, telling him their goal was not to destroy him but to return him Home, echoed in their Minds.

Kevin, who was on the other side of Ken from Brad, lightly smacked Ken on the back of his head.

Why the hell did you say that?

Ken: I don’t know. I was feelin’ studly, and it sounded like a badass thing to say.

Bryan: You fucker! That was a dumbass thing to say!

Ken: What would you have said?

Loy: I don’t know, but not that!

The shit-talk continued for a few minutes, and everyone got a good laugh out of it, yet at the same time Ken’s words were serious, and they knew Luke’s redemption was their ultimate goal and not his destruction. It was a daunting task, but again they would take it one step at a time and stay grounded in one another, and together they would succeed.

Their conversation continued when the laughter finally stopped, and Ken recounted his weird foray in the Waffle House while he was dead.

Ken: Fuck I knew Frank’s hash browns were good, but now it all makes sense. They’re ‘heavenly.’

Immediately the shit-talk started flying again, and in a few minutes, there were fresh tears in most of their eyes from laughing so hard.

Eventually, they quieted again, and the warmth and comfort of their bodies touching, arms over shoulders and legs intertwined relaxed them, and they started to get sleepy.

For that night they played rock, paper, scissors, and Ken and Brad ended up crawling into bed with Henry and Drew. Ken spooned Henry with Brad on the far side and Drew in the middle. Henry needed the closeness after events of the day and didn’t refuse. He loved his Brothers and accepted their efforts and care in the way they were intended. In fact, he was getting used to it and would miss it when everyone started sleeping in their houses again.

True to his word, Ken and Brad woke up early, made their way to their bed down the hall for their morning sex. Later that day they had afternoon sex, and then again before dinner. Everyone did the same thing, and Henry was able to be with Sally. The next night Rick and Loy stayed with Henry and Drew…

And so life continued for the Team, and their routines returned to normal. Well, as normal as life could be for ten half-angels, a former Protector of The Enemy, now voted dad of the year, and the little boy who broke the Curse over his eighty-thousand-year-old brother and opened the door for the redemption of Mankind.

Just another day in the life of The New Order.

 

 

(** Epilogue One **)

 

Mankind now had a second chance, thanks to the courage and sacrifice of a young boy named Drew Ross. The Master was defeated and dead. Luke, the Dark One, vowed his revenge on those responsible for his downfall - Drew, his father Henry, the hybrid Nephilim Abominations, and their mentors Aaron Thomas and Albrecht. The young soldiers in Australia were now on Luke’s radar, as well as Sally and Kelly, and even the newborn Chloe.

It would be years, if then, before the world learned of the heroes that battled on their behalf and those that selflessly sacrificed themselves. The hybrid Nephilim would have to think long and hard about the direction they wanted to take Mankind. The decision not to cover up the world events would be a wakeup call to humans, and the heroes would watch and wait and see how events unfolded. But first, they had the matter of The Dark One to resolve.

As Powerful as the Nephilim hybrids were, they would need to become even stronger to defeat The Dark One. Aspects of their Avatars created by Allenor, the last survivor of the previous Creation, remained hidden. At God’s behest, Allenor forged Ten Gifts that would augment and expand the Avatars of the hybrid Nephilim. Two of the Gifts had been discovered, one by Lane, and one by Loy. The remaining eight were waiting to be found, and they had no idea where any of them were located.

 

 

 

(** Epilogue Two **)

 

Miss Lula, Frank, and the Birdman watched the results as the First Reality started moving again. The pause was over as events resolved themselves, and immediately new branches and Rivers presented themselves. Creation still groaned under the weight of the Curse, but now a mechanism existed to remove it once and for all. That decision, however, was out of God’s hands. He had faith in his newest children. Their wisdom would grow as they matured, and he would trust in their decisions.

The incarnations of the Triune God smiled at the thought of His newest children; his Third. First, the Angels, then Mankind, and now his newest…. The Nephilim Hybrids who were also Original Men. There was Power and significance in threes. Such things mattered.

There was joy in their victory, but also sadness with so many sacrifices, but they were made willingly, freely, and that made all the difference. Unconditional love between His Third children and the ones they touched carried through, even in the face of what seemed insurmountable odds.

Their smiles didn’t last long as they looked forward from outside Time, seeing the trials and losses ahead amongst the new Rivers. Once again, the Hope of Creation would rest in the hands of their Free and Unfettered children… ten men, Brothers, five couples, yet One, plus their Brother Henry Ross… a Paradox.

If you made it all the way to the end, I want to thank you for reading the story and sticking with it. I know it's long, and in a non-traditional format. I appreciate your patience and hope you enjoyed it! If you have any lingering questions, post them here and I will do my best to answer. It took me nearly four years to write this and edit it (repeatedly lol) to get it where it is. I'm still working on a slightly altered version for Amazon, that I hope will be up before too much longer. Then, I will start on the sequel.
-Brad
Copyright © 2019 btaoc1963; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

All's well that ends well... for the moment. Thank you so much for the amazing story. I can't wait to see what comes next. Regardless, I'm going to miss the Team as we wait for the sequel.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

One of the best, if not the best, stories I’ve read on Gay Authors. I agree with Yeoldebard, I’m going to miss the team. Hopefully the sequel will start reasonably soon. Again thank you for a terrific story. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Amazing! Simply Amazing story! The book was really incredible, with a unique premise, an amazing cast of characters with a depth normally not found in online sites. The emotions throughout the book had me feeling what the characters were: happy, sad, angry, elated and devastated. The story takes the reader on an emotional roller coaster while hooking them into reading each and every chapter one after the other. I’m truly impressed with the artistry of your ability to tell an inspiring story and to create such a cast of characters with real personalities and emotions. This should be considered a novel. The author should be proud of themselves for their creative genius. Thank you for taking me along with you into this amazing universe you’ve created! I would sincerely hope that you will publish sequels to keep these characters I’m definitely going to miss alive. 😃❤️

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Great story great ending wonder what happened to Giovanni and the other father's of the 5 soldiers anyway can't wait for the Gifts its been a long 2wks reading this story

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Well...I  made it to the end and I can honestly say that this was the first story that I have felt compelled to write a review. Well done!

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Damn Skippy, one hell of a roller coaster ride. You had me hooked from the first chapter and like all good books I couldn't put this one down. Thank you.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

I survived!  I loved the story, you created an amazingly intricate world and I look forward to rejoining it!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..