Jump to content

Keraunophobia

   (4 reviews)
Genres: General Fiction
Sub-genres: Drama

For as long as he could remember, Austin was always terrified of storms.  After the death of his mother, the dominoes start falling and the reasons behind his fear start to come to light in a way he never expected. 

p style="color:#000000;font-size:14px;"> Warnings for some violence and a rape scene occurring in a dream.
Copyright © 2020 CassieQ; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (4 members)

  • Action Packed 1
  • Addictive/Pacing 4
  • Characters 4
  • Chills 2
  • Cliffhanger 1
  • Compelling 2
  • Feel-Good 0
  • Humor 0
  • Smoldering 0
  • Tearjerker 1
  • Unique 3
  • World Building 0

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Chapter 1
    • 15,241 Words
    • 2,312 Views
    • 19 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Mikiesboy

  

This was skillfully written. The choice of not chaptering this story was right. Yes, it's long, but it needs to be read as is. Chapters would reduce its impact, in my opinion.

The unconventional style only added to the air of mystery in this piece.

Do yourself a favour. Set aside some time to read this, make a coffee and enjoy both.

Brilliant.

  • Love 1
Link to review
Bill W

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

If you like mysteries and a good thriller, then I would recommend this story to you.  There are a lot of flashbacks as Austin in trying to deal with his fear of thunder and lightning storms, as the title suggests, but you'll find clues in those flashbacks that will help you understand some of the emotions and better understand the final outcome of the story.  

Response from the author:

Thank you so much!  This kind of story was a bit outside my comfort zone, but I really enjoyed working it out.  Thank you for the review and the lovely comments, they are much appreciated!  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to review
pvtguy

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

As a retired counselor, of course I was caught by the title first, and then with the story as it progressed.  I find it actually more realistic - disjointed and all - as it truly depicts the working through grief and finding out the truth of his existence.  Of course, the anger, anxiety, fear, and determination to find the truth would follow the circuitous route you so aptly described.  Once I started reading, I did so every moment I had a chance over the past two days! 

Tony F

Response from the author:

Thank you for the review!  While I don’t have a dark secret in my past (I'm boring that way), I have recently needed to work through some of my own grief and I’m glad Austin’s struggle came across as authentic.  I’m so glad that you enjoyed the story.    

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to review
Guest Anton

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

As a freelance editor I found this a little bit (by design I'm sure) disjointed. The flashbacks are, of course, part of the whole story, but they can be distracting. I think this may be why, if you had a (hidden) counter to track how many readers left before finishing the story you might be surprised by the drop out rate. 

My initial advice would be to split the story up into 3-5 chapters, with cliffhangers. There are 'natural' spots were '...to be continued' would occur nicely, and the following chapter would fit neatly, like a hand in a glove. 

Overall I like the story and wanted to give it 4 1/2 stars.

Will be looking at more of your stories (especially as this C-19 spins out of control, because we're not "out of the woods" yet and I've not found a safe 'old oak tree'). :read:

Tony

Ps: Story name. Hmm, too coincidental? Astraphobia is better than the other 4+ clinical names which are tongue-twisters.

 

Response from the author:

Thank you for your review of Keraunophobia.   I appreciate the feedback.  As you said, this story was deliberately written in a manner that was disjointed and fragmented.  Breaking it up further into separate chapters (and waiting for them to be released) would have, in my opinion, made it harder to read, therefore I released it as a whole.  I appreciate that the style and length may be a turn off to some readers, so thank you for sticking with it and sharing your thoughts.  Thank you for the 4 star rating as well.

P.S.  I love that you brought up the story name.  Keraunophobia is interchangeable with astraphobia, brontophobia, and tonitrophobia.  The root of Keraunophobia, kerauno, stands for lightning, thunder or thunderbolt, as opposed to astra, which is lightning, or bronto and tonitro, which both refer to thunder.  Keraunophobia seemed like the most well rounded title for the piece.  (Though I really liked brontophobia because it makes me think of dinosaurs).:P

Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..