Jump to content
    Caz Pedroso
  • Author
  • 920 Words
  • 1,340 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prompt's for 2016 - 1. Prompt 476

This is a short piece to show one of the reasons that Casey ended up with the power of transportation.

The twins can be found in my Unison Island series.

“Quick, call an ambulance!” the barmaid called as she tried to stem the flow of blood bubbling around the embedded shard of glass.

“What happened?” someone shouted.

“Where’s my drink?” another slurred voice called.

“Let me through,” a strong voice demanded. “I’m a healer move.”

The crowd parted and Jamie dropped to his knees by the bleeding man.

“What happened?” he asked as he started running a diagnosing spell.

“Greg was reaching for a whisky bottle on the top shelf. The shelf must have been loose coz it fell. The bottles smashed and a shard buried itself in his chest. Can you help him?” Her voice was clogged by the tears streaming down her face.

“I’ll try.”

Jamie groaned as he sensed the report the spell gave him. The shard had gone straight through the man’s ribs and lodged in his heart. If he tried to remove it the poor guy would bleed out in a matter of minutes. He needed to stop the bleeding and patch the wound as the glass was removed.

“Casey, I need your help.”

“What’s up Bro?” Casey’s sleepy voice came into Jamie’s mind.

“I have a man on the floor of the bar I’m in with a big ass piece of glass stuck in his chest. He needs it out soon but it’s pierced his heart. I need you to send me a boost.”

Jamie felt Casey reaching out but nothing happened.

“You’re too far away for me to connect with you. And it would take me too long to get to you. I assume an ambulance is on the way.”

“Yes, there is, I heard someone calling when I got to him.”

“Okay, show me what you’re seeing.”

Jamie opened his mind so his brother could see the spell results.

Right, here’s what you need to do. I’ll meet you at the clinic.”

Jamie watched, listened, then nodded.

Placing his hands on Greg and began muttering fast. The bleeding slowed down to a trickle and Jamie started pushing energy directly into the man’s heart forcing it to keep beating even with the fatal wound.

He heard the EMT’s arrive and kept the magic flowing while he broke off the muttering, the spell could run free a while.

“This is Greg. A shard of glass has gone through his ribs and pierced his heart. We need to get him to the clinic now but you need to move him with me in constant contact with him. It’s vital that I keep his heart going until we get there. Do you understand?”

“Yes sir,” both medics said and they went about getting Greg on a gurney while Jamie kept up the spell and kept constant contact with Greg’s chest.

Once in the ambulance Jamie’s glare stopped the medics from interfering. The ride felt like a life time and he was starting to tire as they arrived.

Casey came running up to the ambulance as it stopped. One look at the inside and he climbed in kicking the medic there out.

“Jamie link now,” he demanded and Jamie moved one hand to grab Casey’s.

Their magic joined and flared. Casey took over the spell casting and soon they were removing the glass. Jamie fell back and left Casey to finish up and administer a couple of anti-infection spells just in case.

****

Casey dropped onto the couch by Jamie later that morning.

“Well, that was a wakeup call I don’t want again.” He tried to joke but it fell flat.

“That can’t happen again. If we could have linked, or you could have gotten to me sooner, we could have saved him faster. What if we had been too late?”

Casey sighed, “Jay, Bro, you know we can’t save them all. What if you hadn’t been there? What if the crowd hadn’t let you through quickly enough? What if the barmaid had tried to remove the glass? There are always going to be what ifs. But…”

“But, what?” Jamie opened his eyes and pinned his brother with his gaze.

“The witch’s council contacted me. They’ve offered me the power of transportation. The distance would grow with my magic just like our ability to link has grown slowly over the years. I asked about you but they said they could only offer it to one twin, something to do with our mind-link. I told them I would think about it.”

“What’s to think about?” Jamie exclaimed. “It would be perfect. Why didn’t you snap their hand off?”

“Think of the responsibilities that will come with it.” Casey stated. “I would be called out for every slight cough or sniffle.”

Jamie tilted his head thinking. “What about if we train the phone operators how to do a basic phone triage. I think we can trust them to use their common sense most of the time.”

Casey nodded. “I suppose,” he conceded.

“And of course it would be useful anyway,” Jamie purred making Casey frown.

“What do you mean?”

“Well if you need to stay over anywhere you wouldn’t have to worry about home the next day—or night, depending.” He ducked as Casey aimed a cushion at his head.

“I’ll call them in the morning,” Casey decided and the bothers turned their attention back to the TV and the film where a boy was singing about a whole new world. Wouldn’t that be great? Thought Jamie, A whole new world. One with no illness or early death. Then he sighed and forced himself to relax.

Prompt 476
First line:
Quick, call an ambulance.
Copyright © 2018 Caz Pedroso; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'd say, A whole New World. A well written and perfectly ended Story Caz. I loved the way you have included the bond. And as I can see, definitely extension needed. Expecting so, I'd be waiting for more... :)

 

Nice story and Perfect prompt... :)

 

~Emi.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Nice and i like how it relates to your other work.. but maybe add a link to it. In case some people haven't read it!!
Well done and it's cool to learn more about your character's backstory.
tim

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/11/2016 06:36 PM, Emi GS said:

I'd say, A whole New World. A well written and perfectly ended Story Caz. I loved the way you have included the bond. And as I can see, definitely extension needed. Expecting so, I'd be waiting for more... :)

 

Nice story and Perfect prompt... :)

 

~Emi.

The twins are part of my Unison Island series. Jamie is book two and Casey is book five. I would recommend reading in order, although each is a story on it's own as well.

 

Thanks for the review, I'm glad you liked it.

 

:hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/11/2016 10:37 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Nice and i like how it relates to your other work.. but maybe add a link to it. In case some people haven't read it!!

Well done and it's cool to learn more about your character's backstory.

tim

Thanks Timmie :) Yep I thought of the link too, just before I read your review. Great minds think alike ;) I'll add it asap.

 

Glad you enjoyed the short and there will be more to come.

 

:hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/13/2016 01:35 AM, dughlas said:

So this feels like a small bit of a greater body of work ... where do I find it?

These twins are from my Unison Island series. Jamie is book two, and Casey is book five. Feel free to check them out and let me know what you think :)

 

Thanks for the comment

 

:hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..