Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,002 Words
  • 1,021 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ancalagon - 106. Chapter 106

When I wasn’t asleep, I drove everyone else nuts. First it was because of all my questions, then it was because I couldn’t stay still. I wanted to move, to go. I needed to do something, anything, to help Garjah. When I was sitting and doing nothing, all I saw in my head was horrible images of what could be happening to him.

We hadn’t talked about what happened when Garjah was forced to detain or punish someone; the worst I’d seen him do on the ship was assign shifts that were considered the night crew or duties that were tedious because they were done manually instead of with technology.

But I had a feeling the Kardoval would have other things in mind for someone they considered a rebel. Especially when that someone was as prominent as their head of planetary security. And as strong-willed as Garjah was.

Physically, all beings had their limits before they would break, but would they go there? I didn’t know if that was part of their culture or not. It shamed me that I was too afraid to ask, but I really wasn’t sure if I wanted to hear the answer to that question; I wasn’t sure if I could handle the answer to that question. Psychological torture was always an alternative, and I already knew they were good at manipulation. Look at what Mereval had done to me; twisting her words, making me doubt what I knew and thought.

By the time Chaintrik said we should leave, he was probably about ready to feed me to his precious althea, except I might poison them. I hoped so, because I was still nervous about traveling in dark tunnels they created.

“How long will it take us to get there walking?” It would a lot longer to travel in the tunnels by foot than it took to go by transport.

“Oh, we’re not walking.” Chaintrik led us down a tunnel that went away from the central hub.

“What? How is that possible in the dark?” I looked over my shoulder at Timok. “Don’t all your transport run on solar?”

“Maybe they charge the transports and bring them down.” Timok rolled his eyes. “Did you think of that?”

“Oh.” It was a simple answer. “Of course they don’t have to be in the sun every second to run.” The concept of a battery was so old it was ancient technology.

“We probably could do that, but it’d be risky,” Chaintrik agreed. “Remember, we’re rebels. We do rebellious things, like trade with aliens for tech that isn’t approved by our omniscient leaders.”

“Really?” Timok perked up at that. He was positively intrigued by anything new. Except Ases. It was weird the way he practically ignored him. “What is it?”

“Oh no,” Ases groaned. We stopped in front of what resembled a boat, for lack of a better word. It had a rounded front that came to a point and the back was squared off. The sides were slightly curved and from edge to edge were benches. Did we face forwards or back?

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“That’s Zusqner technology. Don’t think I don’t recognize the engine type.” Ases grimaced.

“So?” I climbed in through the door Chaintrik had opened and stepped over the first bench to a seat toward the front.

“You know they use static electricity propulsion for most of their ground transportation, right?”

Oh. Chaintrik and Timok wouldn’t be bothered by something like that, and neither would Bouncer, considering they were more skin and, not scale, but something hard. Me? It would irritate me somewhat, but Ases? It was going to drive him nuts as every hair on his body stood up.

“We don’t have a choice. This is the way we have to travel,” I said. “I’m sorry.” I really was, but I also wasn’t letting anything like a little discomfort get in my way.

Ases sank down with a resigned sigh. “It’ll be fine. Hopefully this goes fast.”

Chaintrik shut the door and then took a seat in the back. “It does. You’ll want to hold on to your seat.”

I barely had a chance to grab Bouncer with my lower arms and my seat with my upper before he was shoved against my legs. I leaned into the air pushing back on my face, my eyes stinging and tearing up despite the steady temperatures. Maybe I shouldn’t have taken the front. Bouncer curled up at my feet, which was easier since he stayed below the edges of the sides. I used one hand to shield my face. How could Chaintrik see?

Now that my hand blocked some of the wind, I was able to blink away the tears blurring my vision. A light flashed in front of us and then disappeared. Then another. And another. Maybe he wasn’t steering, maybe this thing was on a track. I had to hope nothing else was on it. I started counting the lights. We didn’t slow until I got to two thousand six hundred forty-one and when I started to ask a question, Chaintrik hissed, “Quiet.”

A male came out of the gloom just as we idled to a stop. He flashed a hand signal to Chaintrik who responded, nodding. I was dying to know what was happening, but I stayed quiet like he demanded. Bouncer followed me, staying right by my side. All around us people were bustling around doing something.

We came to another wide open hub, and there Chaintrik’s shoulders relaxed. “Sorry, but that’s really close to the exit to the city. We don’t speak out there, ever.”

“Okay, sorry. Are we close to Garjah, then? Can we go rescue him?”

“We have a plan, but you won’t like it,” Chaintrik said.

“If it gets Garjah free, I don’t care. Tell me what we have to do.”

“Turn you into the Kardoval.”

Ases growled, and he flicked out dark claws. “Now who’s the traitor?”

Bouncer crouched beside me, body tensed to strike.

Copyright © 2020 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 9
  • Wow 16
  • Angry 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I wonder what Ases felt like after the transit ride.  The rebel's plan sounds traitorous, but I don't think we have heard the complete plan yet.  It makes me uncomfortable that Timok is in on the plan.  It is also not clear if Essell is the one being "turned in to the Kardoval" or whether Ases is included.  Bouncer definitely doesn't like the plan.  Great cliffhanger Cia!

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Major cliffhanger… so many directions things could go, as highlighted by the variety of comments.
 

I don’t necessarily agree that Bouncer’s reaction at the end proves his sentience. He’s already shown himself to be exquisitely sensitive to emotions, especially from Essell. I think his reaction could have simply been his response to Essell’s emotional reaction to the “plan.” Having questioned the interpretation, however, I have to say that I do believe he is sentient—just that we haven’t seen the unequivocal proof yet. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..