Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 848 Words
  • 1,119 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ancalagon - 116. Chapter 116

“And fear can do so much worse. As my bonded has said, and what you already saw, there is treason occurring at the highest reaches of the government. But I have not betrayed our people. What we have learned is that there is so much more we are all capable of. Our memories help us, yes, but if we start young we can train in other careers or find the memories hidden within for other paths. The Kardoval have hidden many secrets from the people to isolate our planet and remain in power because to learn and grow means they do not hold the monopoly on all knowledge.

“And the treaty with the Galactic gives power to the rebels who just want choices. Not to take yours away, but to make their own for themselves. Ones the Kardoval denied them by arresting them, faking charges, taking their mates, or children, and forcing compliance and hiding them in detention centers in our very capital city in buildings with no official purpose guarded by corrupt officers. I’ve been in the cell, and I’ve been tortured by their devices meant to attack my mind and kill my bond. All because they feared losing their power.

“If you saw the footage, pray that you never visit those cells yourself. For if the Kardoval stay in power, and they learn you saw this, or that you agree with us and believe that freedom of choice is your right, or the right of those you love, then that could be any of you too. The only way this stops is if we rise up now and make a change. Demand they surrender, publicly, and only then can we begin to find true freedom.”

There was a long pause, then Ases tapped the mech on the back. “We’re good.”

I couldn’t believe all that came out of Garjah; he’d never really been the type to bare his thoughts and feelings. Strong, quiet type was more his style. Okay, so maybe I’d always been attracted to the big, muscled men who never really shown interest in me beyond how they could toss the skinny brain around to get what they want, but that wasn’t who he was. He cared, deeply, and that made him focused on what he was doing at all times. Maybe we weren’t so different. I wanted time to think about that, and what he’d said, just like I hoped all this people were thinking about it.

But no. “We have to go. Now.” Garjah pulled away and then tucked me behind him and he strode toward the door. “I want you beside Bouncer and behind me at all times.” He looked over his shoulder. “Stay with me, since you refused to go to safety earlier. Understand?”

“Yes.” I frowned. “What’s wrong?”

“They’ll have tracked that signal.” Chaintrik jogged behind me. “So we can’t stay here.” Ases nodded as he ran beside Chaintrik. The mech whirred along behind everyone.

Alarm shot through me. “Shouldn’t the mech go somewhere else then? If they are tracking it?” I stumbled over something on the ground, and Bouncer bumped against me, keeping me upright.

“Focus on looking where you’re running. We’ve got this,” Ases said. Of course he was talking quietly to Chaintrik while I was already panting. Twice as we ran Garjah changed directions abruptly, and I had to skid to a halt or stumble after him.

I was never running again after this. Doing a field survey meant a slow, steady study of a planet. Not this… adventure. Yeah. Think of it as an adventure. As my lungs and legs burned, that wasn’t happening.

At least the misery distracted me from my fear of being caught. Even if we had revealed them to everyone, that wouldn’t save us if the Kardoval or their officers caught us now. Especially now. They’d take revenge. A roar burst up behind us, and I was too exhausted to look back. “What. Was. That?” I asked, puffing.

“Stop, stop,” Chaintrik called. Garjah didn’t stop immediately but peered around us looking for something. He ducked into a deep shadow of a closed shop’s overhang, it hiding his body. I followed him, leaning against the wall. Bouncer sat perkily. This was one big game to him, I was sure. City chase. He’d want to play every day if he could.

“What is it?” Garjah asked. He was also annoyingly steady, his breathing barely labored.

“Look.” Back the way we’d come lights were flashing. Transports were circling high in the air, but it was the people. We’d climbed partway up the hill overlooking the city for some reason, and I could see down inside.

Those were not officers. There were citizens of the city flooding the streets, streaming toward the center and the Kardoval’s building. I turned toward Garjah, my eyes wide. “They… do you think they heard you? That’s because of what you said?” I pointed.

“It has to be,” Chaintrik said. He sounded awed, shocked and amazed. “This is going to change everything.” He turned to Garjah. “Thank you.”

Copyright © 2020 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 32
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..