Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 880 Words
  • 1,547 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ancalagon - 70. Chapter 70

It was time to cut out the bureaucracy, and I didn’t have much tact to start off with. Garjah actually seemed to do better with his people’s politics than I did with the jockeying for favor and positions I’d faced within the Institute, but he wasn’t experienced enough to deal with these people.

Officious oafs were going to just get in the way.

“We appreciate that you have encountered a race that may have a claim to Ardra, and that we have much to learn. Rushing does not benefit anyone, however.” Dr. Margo spoke and my mother nodded her agreement, giving me a hard look. As if that would shut me up.

“I believe this goes beyond the Institute and the study of a potential new ally species. We have already made contact, and Garjah’s people have monitored Galactic space for some time. They are ready to move beyond their current isolationist views and begin discussions with the Galactic Council.”

There, I’d said it. It was recorded, and since any new species contact data was sent to the Council, they’d know a request was made. I squeezed Garjah’s hand, tugging it slightly.

“We have many files on the species that make up your Galactic; while we do not currently prefer to contact other species in your space, we have known many. This can help smooth the way, but we need to speak with those who have the ability to speak for your kind.”

“Do you have the ability to speak for your kind?” my mother asked. Her nostrils were flaring, never a good sign.

“On security matters, no one can gainsay my words. This is within my role to ensure the safety of my people.” It was a stretch, but only we knew that. “I can recall my ship, and we can travel to your planet to speak with your Council.”

Dr. Margo and my parents exchanged looks. They weren’t even a tiny bit subtle. Did they think I was stupid and Garjah was oblivious? “I would like to speak with my son. It has been some time since we saw him.”

“We are not comfortable separating at this time.” I hated saying it, knowing it exposed vulnerabilities, but I also wouldn’t let them separate us. “Whatever you wish to say to me, you can say in front of Garjah. We are very close.”

She eyed our clasped hands and the way Bouncer was pressing against the front of our bodies and how we were both touching him to keep him calm. “I see that.”

My father put a hand on her shoulder. “There will be time to talk to Essell when he comes here. In person may be better,” he said steadily. “I look forward to meeting your companions, son.”

Dr. Margo opened and shut her mouth, then took in a deep breath through flared nostrils. “I will contact the council. How long do you think it will take you to arrive?”

“I am not aware of your local time, but one rotation.” Garjah looked down at me.

“That’s slightly longer than a full day on Institute time. Tomorrow by lunch?” It was a rough estimate but unless you’d laid down a course and had the local time in your computer, it was always tricky to give a timeframe on travel.

“We will be prepared.” Dr. Margo ended the transmission.

“Well,” Dr. Vikrish turned to them. “That is not what I expected.”

“I am sorry, doctor, and I appreciate your willingness to openly speak with us and bring us here when you knew so little.” He’d taken a chance, and it still might bite him if political maneuvering didn’t go in our favor. It was one reason why I’d tried to cut him out of the conversation early. “I knew our appearance might be… complicated.”

He shook his head. “Makes me glad we’re just boots on the ground to study new plants and animals.” Dismay crossed his face and slumped his shoulders. “Though now I guess we can’t do that anymore.”

I leaned my weight against Garjah. His voice rumbled in his chest and against my side. “If you continue to limit your impact on the planet and take precautions, especially the humans, I do not see why you cannot continue to study the planet for the time being. We may share this space in the future, and knowledge shared is beneficial.”

Dr. Vikrish’s mouth dropped open. “Really? We can stay?”

“As I said, for security matters, I can speak for my people. You are not a threat to our security or to our continued use of this planet.” Clever, clever. Dr. Vikrish was beaming, and I knew we’d won ourselves an ally. Perhaps not one with any power, but his team would also be happy not to have to change assignments immediately. Researchers always loved a new challenge and Ardra was a good one.

Allies among the people had saved us with Garjah’s people. Maybe it was my turn with mine. I’d have to send some messages once we started traveling. There were a few people I could message, sons and daughters of other scientists, diplomats, and government officials who had grown up and taken jobs that may help us negotiate this tricky new alliance.

Copyright © 2020 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 26
  • Fingers Crossed 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Politics Essell, Politics.

The success of their misson seems to want to take ownership of this planet.  I may be wrong, but things appear to warrant that idea. 

I do think the scientists want to seperate Essell from Garjah and even hopper.  Which may be something interesting as well. 

I love this. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..