Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,001 Words
  • 1,255 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ancalagon - 87. Chapter 87

Ases buzzed for entry, and Garjah opened the door for him. “Oh, hello.” He looked up to meet his gaze. “I, ah, wasn’t sure if you would be here.”

“Come in,” I said. I just finished putting out the food Garjah had ordered. I adjusted one plate. “We have a meal prepared, and I need to speak with you.”

“You do?” Garjah stepped back, and Ases entered our cabin. “Uh, what about? Is it my mech?” He peeked over his shoulder. “It isn’t a threat, I promise.”

“We know that.” Garjah nodded when I answered Ases’ nervous reassurance. “Though we may have need of its capabilities.”

“What?” Now he looked confused. “Why? You have this whole ship full of tech. Stars, your tech is way better than anything I’ve ever seen.”

I sighed. “We have need of tech that communicates back to the Galactic directly.”

Ases flushed. “I would never do that,” he insisted. “It’s why that was shut down to begin with.”

“Essell has assured me of that, but due to the circumstances of our return, projecting your arrival to the planet and welcome may be necessary for the protection of all.”

Now it was his turn to turn red, and based on the way his skin was heated, Essell knew his cheeks were probably flaming. “There, ah, might be some things we didn’t share with the Council.”

Ases snorted. “That’s only logical.”

“Things that could put you, as their ambassador, in danger.”

He sobered at that statement. “What do you mean?” No one had even touched the meal, and I was pretty sure it was going to go to waste. I pursed my lips, trying to think of the best response.

“The Kardoval are in charge of the planet. They are the four beings with the ability to rule based on the customs of Garjah’s people. But they did not authorize our trip to Ardra, and they did not wish to approach the Galactic Council.”

His mouth open, Ases stared at me.

“They, um, are not expecting you. And since Garjah and I violated his people’s directive to remain hidden from the Galactic, we could be in a lot of trouble.”

Still silent, Ases split his horrified stare between me and Garjah.

“There are many on my planet who do wish to develop peaceful relations. There is no talk of war, or hiding as a threat. We simply wish to continue living our lives as we have always done so. But since Essell arrived on Ardra, it proved that is not possible. I was convinced that the rebels have the correct path, and we had to make contact. It was time to make our species known the universe, and claim our place before we lost the ability to control our discovery.” Garjah spread his hands on the table. “As the head of security, I was the only one who could do this outside of the Kardoval. Essell only made it easier.”

“I, um, guess I can see that,” Ases said in faint voice. “Not all species have had peaceful introductions to the Galactic; some have been at war with other species and only were approached to calm their sector of space.”

“We do not wish to start a war with those who wanted to claim Ardra, but we also do not want the planets we use to be claimed by others.” Garjah’s lips thinned further. “Your planets are raped for their resources, and we will not allow that.”

“Generalities, big guy. What did I tell you about that? Not all planets, or people, are the same.” I gave him a look, and Garjah crossed his upper set of arms. Some days he was like a child. Or Bouncer. They could both be stubborn and annoying.

“So why are you telling me this and what does my mech have to do with it?” Ases asked.

“We wish to broadcast our arrival and introduce you to as the ambassador who seeks to bring prosperous new trades and knowledge to my people,” Garjah explained. “I have allies among the security forces and the rebels who will ensure that we have the numbers present to prevent our being taken in secret, and if we broadcast to both my planet and your Council and planets that can get the signal, the Kardoval will think twice before acting against us.”

“Why?”

I sighed. “This is information we didn’t share either, and it could be dangerous.” What would Ases do with it? I wasn’t sure, but I hoped it would convince him to help us.

“It seems like everything else you’ve told me so far.” Now Ases had his arms crossed, and he was scowling. I had some groveling to do.

“This is not my secret to tell, and I was shocked when I learned it. Garjah, and every other Four Arms on this ship, does not pick their career. They are both with genetic memories for their roles in life, and they have to learn to access them and act upon them in order to function in their career paths. But they do not have the ability to learn outside of those memories.” I corrected myself. “Or most don’t. There are a few with parents who have had the neural connections for more than one set of memories that is passed on, and then there are the Kardoval. They contain the genetic memories for all roles, which is why they are chosen as leaders. They know, and can speak, for all the different layers of their culture.”

Garjah broke in, “They lost sight of what people want, and focus only on the past. The universe is expanding and we have lost our buffer of open space. It is time to reveal ourselves.”

Ases took a deep breath. “So you want me to help you broadcast our my arrival to prevent this Kardoval from arresting and or potentially killing me for daring to assume an ambassadorship they didn’t authorize?”

“That sums it up.”

Copyright © 2020 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 15
  • Haha 7
  • Wow 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..