Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 975 Words
  • 1,463 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ancalagon - 90. Chapter 90

There was a rush of bodies toward us, and I tensed, but Garjah reassured me quietly. “It’s all right.”

Two Four Arms—Neejah’al just didn’t roll off the tongue quite as well—in smooth yellow robes cinched at the waist with white belts and hovering devices led the crush.

“Can we have an interview?”

Ah, they were some form of report casters. Garjah didn’t let go of me but he did tap one fist to his chest. “We would love to make time for the planetary news, but it has been a long journey. However, the welcome ceremony tomorrow may be an ideal time to learn more about both my bonded, Essell, and the new ambassador. I am sure you will be invited.”

Lasers held no comparison to the sheer fury shining out of Mereval’s eyes. Whatever machinations she wanted to plan would have to be very discreet with the eyes of the entire planet watching the ceremony and meal live. Well, at least the obvious danger would be avoided. We’d barely landed, and I was already exhausted.

Garjah started walking toward our shuttle, ushering Ases ahead of us, and I stayed by his side. The crowed nipped at our heels and protected our backs. Bouncer paced by my side, his ears flicked backward. I kept my head on the swivel as we took the transport straight to Garjah’s home.

“Are we really staying here?” I asked.

“It’s a beautiful home,” Ases said.

“Of course. They cannot do anything to us now without the world knowing; if anything, it’ll be after the welcoming ceremony.”

“So we’re safe.”

“As I promised.” Garjah led us inside. “Come on, let’s go see what our friends have left us.”

 

Food was waiting on the counter, and there was a comm pad tucked in the bottom of the basket of fruit, hidden by a false bottom woven into the grasses.

“Amazing.” Ases was following Bouncer straight to the atrium and the garden. “Oh.” His skin rippled. “Can I change?”

“If you want. Our room is upstairs, but you can have the run of the house otherwise.” Garjah moved to a set of doors on the main floor alongside the kitchen that faced the atrium. He pushed them both open. “You may stay here.” The room was spacious for someone used to the overcrowded planets, with a bed in one corner, a small desk and chair in another. Shelves with décor lined the wall I could see inside from outside the door.

“You and Bouncer enjoy. We’re going upstairs.” I clapped Ases on the shoulder. “Thank you, friend. I know I put you in a tough place.”

“I’ve a whole new planet to explore.” Ases’ other half shone in his eyes and his twitchy limbs. “I should be thanking you.”

I chuckled. “All right. Hint taken.” He would probably shift in the middle of our conversation if I didn’t stop talking. “Good night.”

“Night.”

 

Garjah had taken all my nervous energy and channeled it into wearing me out, so I’d slept. I woke to him reading the comm pad he’d found in the fruit basket. I rolled over and put my chin on his firm chest. He wrapped his lower arm around my back, stroking my skin. “I love how soft your skin is,” he rumbled.

“You said that last night.” Early morning light was brightening the corners of the room.

“I enjoy it very much.” He tried to put the comm pad down on the floor, and I reached out with one hand and caught his arm.

“Nope. No distracting me. What exactly is on that device that it had to be hidden?” We had a day, and I fully intended to spend a part of it luxuriating while immersed in water until I felt completely clean, but not even the two orgasms he’d wrung from me last night and the heavy sleep brought on by the return of full gravity could completely remove all the worry.

Okay, I tended to swing from rash action to nervous dithering and back again, but that was just my nature. I was getting better about making plans ahead of time, and I would make him better about communicating.

“Schematics for the capital building; apparently there’s been some rush renovation since we’ve been gone. No even Seedrah was allowed to see what the workmen were doing; he was only allowed to vet their clearance.”

“But….” That hung heavily in the air.

“Based on their areas of expertise, he thinks they are creating a weapon.”

“What?” I pushed up, the sheet pooling in my lap. “What kind of weapon?”

“I’m not sure, but this man,” he tapped the screen and brought up a file, “does ship retrofits. And this one does satellites.”

“How does that equal weapon to you?” I asked. “And how did you figure all that out if you don’t have their memories?”

“Security, remember?” He tapped his head. “I know weapons. I know what we use on ships, what we use to protect the planet, and I am very, very good at reading data and predicting threats. This secret project that doubled in size as soon as we launched? That’s a threat.”

“To us or the Galactic?” I swallowed hard. Garjah could only protect us against the weapons he knew about.

He rubbed a hand over the raised ridges on his head, sighing. “A threat against the Galactic is a threat against us, even if we aren’t facing the immediate business end of an energy blast.”

“What are we going to do?” Why did this just keep getting more difficult?

“Get up. Have first meal with Ases and Bouncer, who probably misses you. Contact the resistance who will be attending tonight’s ceremonies, and prepare for psychological warfare on all levels.”

“Sounds like a great time,” I said grimly.

Copyright © 2020 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 15
  • Wow 12
  • Fingers Crossed 3
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator
8 minutes ago, scrubber6620 said:

What happened to the next chapter due 5/18 ?

The add chapter and add prologue buttons are next to each other in the posting menu.

  • Like 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..