Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,007 Words
  • 1,382 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Prompt You Say! - 1. Prompt 94 - The Accident

Marc has just finished dragging a car wreck onto the back of his flatbed when he discovers a kitten still in the car. Marc's night has just taken a small change, where an act of kindness can do more to help someone than you might know.

Marc stood slowly pulling the wreck out of the ditch. The car evidently had gotten a flat tire and lost control on the icy patch of road. The driver had been taken to the local hospital by ambulance a few moments ago. He couldn’t help but be surprised someone had survived, but maybe it was just a case of it not being the driver’s time.

“Hey Marc, you taking it to Charlie’s?”

Marc nodded at Officer Nick.

“Where else would I take a car in this area?”

Nick laughed. He was just putting his camera away into the cruiser and walked over to Marc.

“Can you believe he didn’t die in that?”

“What really surprises me is that the ambulance drivers say other than the bruise on his head he really doesn’t have much damage.”

The two men turned and looked at the car that was slowly being winched onto the back of the flatbed. The whole front left side of the car was mangled. The driver’s and back door were bent in and the glass windows on all the doors from that side were shattered. Marc couldn’t believe someone actually was able to come out of it virtually unharmed.

“You still have to head to the hospital, Nick?”

“Yeah. He was pretty out of it and I still need a statement from him.”

Marc walked up to the front of his truck and pulled out two cards before hurrying back. He handed them to Nick.

“Those are mine and Charlie’s cards. That way he will know where he can get find his car once he is functional.”

“Thanks. I’ll give them to him.”

Marc watched as Nick took off and headed down the road. He climbed up onto the back of the truck and began to secure the wreck to the truck. He was just passing down the side of the car when he noticed the rose still sitting on the passenger seat.

“I’ll be damned.”

He leaned into the car to get the rose when he heard something. He paused and listened.

“What the hell is that sound?”

Curious as to what making the noise Marc walked around to the right side of the car and opened the door. Wedged under the dashboard was a small cage with a kitten in it. Evidently no one had spotted the cat under there and with the driver injured he couldn’t be counted on to say much. Carefully, Marc managed to move the cage but couldn’t get it out. He worked on the door and eventually was able to reach in and get the cat out. Popping open the glove compartment he found the registration and an address book. The book had the owner’s phone number in it.

Marc carried the papers and the kitten to the front of the truck. He climbed up and in and the kitten curled up on his lap, shivering. Marc reached over and turn the heat up in the cab.

“Sorry little guy, don’t have anything for you.”

Grabbing his phone he quickly dialed the number from the book.

“Hello?”

“Um, hi. This is Marc Daniels. I run a tow truck company. Tonight there was an accident involving a car registered to Anthony Matola.”

“Yes, my daughter just went to the hospital. Anthony was supposed to be on his way home for their anniversary.” The woman paused.

“I see. Well, the thing is Ma’am. Well I found a kitten in the car. Usually I just take what is found and put it in a box, but that can’t be done with an animal. Usually the police handle this but considering how the dashboard was moved over it I can’t say I’m surprised that they missed the little guy.”

“So he got Nancy the kitten. I’m sorry. I’m not totally over the shock. I’m Mrs. Akers, Anthony’s mother-in-law. Look can you drop the kitten off here at the house?”

“Yes Ma’am. That is what I was checking on.”

“Hold on, I’ll give you the address.”

“I’ve got that. It is here on his paperwork. I’ll be there in about a half hour.”

“Thank you.”

“No problem, Ma’am.”

The drive over was pretty slow. There was black ice all over and Marc wasn’t in a hurry to create another accident. The kitten had curled up along side of him and gone to sleep. All he heard was the soft sound of its breathing.

When Marc pulled up in front of the house an older woman was standing just inside the doorway. Carefully, Marc scooped up the kitten and carried it to the house.

“Thank you so much for doing this, Mr. Daniels.”

“No problem Ma’am. Is there someplace you want me to set him down?”

“Call me Christa. Oh, just a moment.”

Standing in the doorway, Marc felt uncomfortable, but he didn’t have to wait long. A moment later Mrs. Akers reappeared carrying an old blue shirt, which she held out to wrap the kitten in.

“Let me have the little guy. Thank you for bringing him home.” Mrs. Akers buried her face into the kitten’s fur trying to hold back tears.

“Oh hold on a moment, I forgot something.”

Marc ran back out to the truck and brought back the rose that had led to the kitten’s discovery.

“This was in the car too.”

“Thank you very much for doing this.”

“No problem. Just part of the service, Mrs. Akers.”

Christa Akers smiled as she took the rose.

“Does my son-in-law have a way to contact you, Mr. Daniels?”

“Yes, the police took my card to give him at the hospital.”

“Do you have another? I don’t want to take any chances.”

Marc pulled a second card out of his pocket and gave it to her. He watched as she pocketed it before gently cuddling the sleeping kitten closer.

“Have a good evening, Ma’am.”

“Thank you, you too.”

Marc found himself smiling and grateful that things worked out. It made dealing with an accident site much easier when things went well.

So based off the words of a blue shirt, a red rose, an older woman, a kitten, a flat tire, and a card from prompt 94 I created this story. So did you like it? Comments or questions are always welcome.
Copyright © 2012 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

As always I love a great beginning that pulls you in. This does just that. No long drawn out mess with a littany we can't get further into the story... Great stuf... now on for more!!!!

Link to comment
On 02/10/2012 02:49 PM, MidnightMan said:
As always I love a great beginning that pulls you in. This does just that. No long drawn out mess with a littany we can't get further into the story... Great stuf... now on for more!!!!
The prompts are fun because they are meant to be short and get your creative juices flowing. Unfortunately one or two of them took and became massive things. Glad you are enjoying it so far.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..