Jump to content

Life in a Northern Town

   (2 reviews)
Genres: General Fiction
Sub-genres: Drama

Adam is a punk - but there are reasons for that. Like his whack-a-doodle mom dating the principal. Then there is Randy and Nick making a boys hormones, well, moan. But what does it all mean?

Copyright © 2015 Dabeagle; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (4 members)

  • Action Packed 3
  • Addictive/Pacing 4
  • Characters 3
  • Chills 2
  • Cliffhanger 0
  • Compelling 2
  • Feel-Good 1
  • Humor 2
  • Smoldering 2
  • Tearjerker 3
  • Unique 2
  • World Building 2

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Chapter 1
    • 4,329 Words
    • 5,443 Views
    • 6 Comments
  • 2. Chapter 2
    • 3,803 Words
    • 3,479 Views
    • 4 Comments
  • 3. Chapter 3
    • 6,307 Words
    • 3,761 Views
    • 4 Comments
  • 4. Chapter 4
    • 4,651 Words
    • 3,557 Views
    • 3 Comments
  • 5. Chapter 5
    • 4,436 Words
    • 3,544 Views
    • 6 Comments
  • 6. Chapter 6
    • 3,307 Words
    • 3,152 Views
    • 3 Comments
  • 7. Chapter 7
    • 3,662 Words
    • 2,813 Views
    • 3 Comments
  • 8. Chapter 8
    • 3,601 Words
    • 3,478 Views
    • 5 Comments
  • 9. Chapter 9
    • 5,371 Words
    • 3,624 Views
    • 10 Comments
  • 10. Chapter 10
    • 7,957 Words
    • 3,963 Views
    • 9 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

EMichaelC2

· Edited by Michael C

  

Of all Dabeagle's stories, I have a soft spot for 'Corners' and this one. Like many of his other stories,  'Life in a Northern Town's is actually borrowed from the name of a song. I won't go into this here, because it's more fun to discover by yourself.

This story deals with anger. Adam was angry and always found himself in trouble. He had a faithful friend in Randy. The arrival of a Southern kid, Nick, complicated his world as he felt a strong attraction. Adam's mother was abusive and he was placed in a foster home with two other kids. Uprooted, distressed and still angry, Adam must learn how to adjust himself to the demands of external world. His foster dads were trying their best. He thought he was making progress and looked forward to being placed in the care of Randy's parents, when Nick and Randy both soured on him. Turned out love was an illusion and friendship full of unexpected heartbreaks. 

I felt for Adam as I finished reading the story in one sitting. I understand that anger viscerally, even though I endure none of his hardships. It's just an attempt to control sadness, to insulate oneself from frustration. Adam and Randy are another pair of best friends in Dabeagle's universe that intrigues me. I completely understand why Adam had such difficulty coming out to Randy, because that friendship was the only thing he had in his life. He would not risk it. I feel it's implied but I'd gently remind Randy of this if I were sitting next to him. 

The beauty of the story is that amidst all this anger, Adam learned finally to be true to himself and deal with that anger. For me personally it was a most cathartic experience, because I too have to learn how not to let loose my own anger. For this I truly thank the author for sharing this experience of healing and starting afresh.

 

  • Love 1
Link to review
Dan South

  

Hear me out. This, for me, was a very challenging story to begin reading. On the pages of the first chapters, understand, every jot and every tittle radiate pain. Until they don’t.

Hurt and harm and harrow give way gradually and once the right seeds are planted and tended to something beautiful grows.

Adam is a punk, as the author warns us, but cast aside what that word might mean to you and let Adam reveal himself.

No mohawks here, no thrash metal music, no piercings. Wait, that’s not entirely true. Maybe my heart was pierced just a bit? Yeah, it was. It really was.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..