Jump to content

Toy Soldiers

   (2 reviews)
Sub-genres: Adventure

Stolen from their homes, memories erased, bodies beaten and tortured, the soldiers of Green Squad have never known a life of peace and comfort. Confronted with their own extermination at the hands of the malevolent Corporation, they must make their harrowing escape before, “All go under the green.”

Action, adventure mixed with confusing hormones and quirky social graces. Outsiders fight back against the evil Corporation.

Written together with Ryan Bartlett and posted in memory of his recent passing.
Copyright © 2015 Dabeagle; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (4 members)

  • Action Packed 4
  • Addictive/Pacing 4
  • Characters 3
  • Chills 0
  • Cliffhanger 0
  • Compelling 0
  • Feel-Good 0
  • Humor 0
  • Smoldering 0
  • Tearjerker 2
  • Unique 3
  • World Building 2

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Chapter 1
    • 3,891 Words
    • 4,062 Views
    • 10 Comments
  • 2. Chapter 2
    • 4,617 Words
    • 2,360 Views
    • 8 Comments
  • 3. Chapter 3
    • 4,075 Words
    • 2,243 Views
    • 6 Comments
  • 4. Chapter 4
    • 3,752 Words
    • 1,946 Views
    • 6 Comments
  • 5. Chapter 5
    • 2,100 Words
    • 2,122 Views
    • 6 Comments
  • 6. Chapter 6
    • 3,629 Words
    • 1,808 Views
    • 6 Comments
  • 7. Chapter 7
    • 3,910 Words
    • 2,083 Views
    • 8 Comments
  • 8. Chapter 8
    • 2,483 Words
    • 1,726 Views
    • 6 Comments
  • 9. Chapter 9
    • 2,901 Words
    • 1,890 Views
    • 5 Comments
  • 10. Chapter 10
    • 4,294 Words
    • 1,795 Views
    • 3 Comments
  • 11. Chapter 11
    • 3,588 Words
    • 2,029 Views
    • 6 Comments
  • 12. Chapter 12
    • 4,184 Words
    • 1,926 Views
    • 7 Comments
  • 13. Chapter 13
    • 5,519 Words
    • 1,809 Views
    • 5 Comments
  • 14. Chapter 14
    • 6,800 Words
    • 2,341 Views
    • 8 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

ChillFire

  

A nefarious Corporation kidnaps young boys with the intent of transforming them into killing machines. They are ruthlessly abused, tortured, experimented on, and pitted against each other at a secret laboratory in the mountains in an attempt to make them the best they can be.

One day, the leader of Green Squad, Harley, is informed that they will be "liquified" soon. As a result, Green Squad put into motion a long-planned operation to escape from the facility and become free once again.

Likes

The action is fast-paced, and the plot is compelling. It was hard to put it down during my first time reading it.

I enjoyed the theme of Harley finding beauty in people and everyday things. Even if he doesn't realize it, he is quite beautiful himself in many ways. And no, I'm not saying that because Harley is my favourite character.

Dislikes

I would've enjoyed a bit more backstory on the Corporation and how they came to be.

It's relatively minor, but I felt that the writing quality varied between the first half and second half. Considering that this was written by two authors (and published posthumously in the case of Ryan - RIP), I'm not sure if this was avoidable. Not a big deal, anyway.

Spoiler-y Thoughts

Spoiler

Likes

Sage's initial arc where he escaped with Marge only for her to be gunned down by the Corporation was shocking on my first read-through. I did not expect them to find him that soon.

I like how the Doctor from Chapter One returned in the final arc. The rest of the medical team were absolute cowards in the scene where Sage begged for them to save Sky. Dr. Warner, despite his flaws, truly seemed like one of the few good guys that worked for the Corporation.

Harley's letter to Tim was a great way to wrap everything up. I wonder if Tim thinks any less of him after his gruesome murders? Also, I was happy to see that Harley found a 'Sage' of his own in Sky/Evan.

Dislikes

Did Ricky have to die? haha

The plot twist where Cass's father ended up being a Manager from the Corporation seemed awfully contrived, at least in my opinion. He also had quite a few relevant documents and files just laying around in his home.

Verdict

I quite liked this story. The only problems I have with it are relatively minor compared to the bigger picture, and they did not impact my enjoyment (for the most part). It's a shame that this didn't get more attention back when it was first published.

4 1/2 stars (rounded up to 5).

Response from the author:

Thank you for reviewing this story. I know Ryan and I felt a little bummed at the lack of response when it posted, and to be fair it's a deeply flawed story. One point you made about Harley finding things beautiful was roundly criticized by a beta reader, but it was too late to change as it was central to his character. As much as I like parts of the story, there is an understanding that it could have been better.

  • Love 1
Link to review
Former Member

· Edited by droughtquake

  

An exciting, fast-paced tale of boy soldiers trained to kill. Harley and the others in Green Squad are warned of impending danger from the Corporation. Using skills that they were taught by the Corporation, they make their move.

 

A much more heartwarming story than the subject would suggest.  ;-)

 

This story suffered because it was posted under the old software where fewer Likes were available, Comments were less interactive, and Reviews like this were not possible.

Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..