Jump to content
    D.K. Daniels
  • Author
  • 1,718 Words
  • 932 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
 

Even If We Tried – Kick-off Party:

To celebrate the release of my book, I'm hosting a live stream event on YouTube for folks to come and discuss my book so we can all reconnect about stories in general. I'd love it if folks stopped by. Everyone is welcome, and I'd love to see you there. It will be an informal chat, more like a coffee meeting, where we chill and talk about the release. I've decided to host it on April 3 at 8 PM (Irish Standard Time… aka GMT), so be sure to check the time difference. Links are below, so save the date.

 

Livestream link - click here.

https://youtube.com/live/eQbfI8vBSvc?feature=share

As They Say - (Revised) - 10. Entry #16

12th May 1991:

Alright, so today went surprisingly well. I didn't expect the gang to be so… soo… I don't know… cool with having an outsider in the group. They didn't act all macho or ignorant. They did their best to accommodate Ross, and that made me somewhat proud to know all of them. Even if some of them are assholes. But hey, that topic is open to discussion, and if I were to broach that subject live, I don't think it would sit as well with some people.

If anything, I think some souls in the group would be highly offended. Some believe that there is nothing wrong with their scandalous behaviour. Carl is the one who went above and beyond to make the lad feel more welcomed than he actually was. It made his interactions at times feel cheap or fake in some way. Even though Carl probably meant well, I still could not help but think that he was just doing it to please me. Which, I guess, is comforting to know.

Anyway, like most mornings, I knocked for Ross, as opposed to him looking for me at home. I didn't really wait for him to wake up. I concluded that if we were to meet the entire gang, we would have to all assemble pretty early to make the day worthwhile. I feel guilt and partly regret even attempting to disturb prince charming before 11 AM, but I thought it was in everyone's best interest. I called for him and get this, Ross didn't have any problem with me knocking. When I called around for him, I expected to be cursed at, yelled at, or right off told: "Get the fuck out and go home. It's the summer holidays!"

Well, that's what Carl told me one time.

"Do you ever sleep? Fucking go back to bed," Carl mumbled one time with his head under a pillow. I stopped by a little too early for him. The imagery is fascinating and still remains funny to me to this day.

I don't think Carl has ever been a morning person; he is just dreadful in those early hours. If you call him at, say, 7 AM for school, Carl crawls out of bed at 8:15 AM and somehow manages to smoothly rush getting dressed and ramming his breakfast down his throat. I don't know how he succeeds to get organized, but I think planned chaos is his thing. He always seems to control the flustering about easier than giving him plenty of time. Carl tends to forget something really quickly. Yet, if you provide him with plenty of time ahead of his allocated time slot to be ready, he'll be actually prepared.

Anyway, I rang the doorbell, and Ross's granddad opened the door for a change. Mr. O'Sullivan told me to wait in the kitchen while he fetched his grandson.

There I was, sitting in the kitchen for the first time, listening to the dreaded clock above the draining board of the sink, plucking away. Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock, it went for three and a half minutes until I heard this thunder descending the stairs. Ross came into view at the end of the stairs, and he approached me with the goofiest smile I have ever seen on anyone. Ross was dressed in this really cute outfit— beige cargo shorts and an olive t-shirt. God, it did make him look really adorable. His hair fell delicately above his ears and shaded his eyebrows.

The fresh smell of strawberries was present in the room. The aroma smelt different compared to what usually emanated from him. It was like he used a woman's body wash. I can't complain. It smelt really nice, not that he never smelt nice, but this really suited his look. Ross, I'd figure it would be a petite guy. If you have any sense, you will figure you could pick him up and just walk away with him. The womanly odour in the air complemented his dainty stature. It reminded me of a freshly washed puppy, smelling of lemons, tucked away in a neat basket with warm, woollen blankets. I could only assume Ross used what was on offer in the shower stall, and that must have been his nanny’s.

Ross flew into the kitchen with this totally together vibe. I stood and gave him a grin.

I was so happy to see him, though something special was in the air today. I don't know how to explain it, but something looked different. Before I could think, Ross had his arms wrapped around me in a hug and shit, it felt like I was practically melting with his touch. Ross's embrace felt great, even if it was just a 'hey how is things' sort of hug. In Ireland, we only give people hugs if we haven't seen them in at least a month. Not to complete strangers, which Ross was still to me. The only other people I give a hug to consistently is my parents or my nanny.

I have to give her hugs, she gives me money.

But still, Ross's hug was really unexpected, and it felt incredible. I don't know what it was, but I sure as hell liked it. After a second or two, the special moment on offer subtracted, and he rebooted in another mode. Ross put his hand out for a secret handshake that I never knew before today. Well, I don't think I know any better now. I'm still a little confused as to how to do it. Ross put his arm out, and he walked me through how to do the greeting. It felt like it was our secret handshake. Not even me and Carl have a handshake. And he's my best friend, what's up with that? Something is wrong there. Are best-friends supposed to have secret handshakes? If so then, Carl and I are lacking in such things.

I patiently observed the hand gestures Ross pulled and his ever-changing smile.

The way it would go from a grin to a full blossom of a smile as he'd reach out, telling me, "You're doing it wrong."

Ross would clasp my hand lightly and put it in the right place before proceeding with his part of the handshake. In the end, I think my legs felt like they were about to give out before I even went anywhere.

Following that little interaction, we fled the house and made our way to the town, where we met the lads and just wandered around for the most part. We didn't really have a place in mind to hang out, so we went from one area to another. Everybody seemed to have a good time, and Ross got treated like royalty. Well, all non-townies get the same treatment. It’s not every day we have outsiders coming into our town.

But the truth remains vague to the group. Is everyone just being totally extra for themselves because there is a new kid around? Or maybe it was just for my benefit.

It would be nice to have an explanation. If anything, to see if they were truly genuine. Oh, it would be so cool to look into people’s minds, see if they are actually for real or if they are just being that way because they have vile plans. Schemes lined up for a poor affectionate soul who knows no better. And if I had that superpower, I could tell what Ross is thinking about me and everything else.

About halfway through the evening, we chose to buy sweets and head up to the castle on the hill. It looks over the lake from the east side from where we swim on the warm days. The tower house itself is just a ruin; it is not a tourist spot or anything. Sure, the locals know about it, but it's not overall a huge attraction. I'd say it was a guard post or something, but who knows, I never even tried to dig up some history of the site. The location is beautiful and secluded away from prying eyes, just like the waterhole where we swim, but the castle is much nicer. The best part is the lake and castle are next to one another. The only thing is you are really exposed from the shoreline, and during the summer months, people are out in rowboats fishing and so on.

Ross really liked the spot; he could not get enough of the castle. We sat, munching on candy, looking off into the lake with the ruin behind us. The boys all lay around us, and we had a bit of general chit-chat—the usual talk between all of us: girls, money for clothes, movies, and football. Who we hate at the current moment, and lightly teasing each other about who has botched haircuts. Other than that, it was a chill evening.

Eli decided to climb the top of the remains before we left, and I would be lying if I didn't say my heart was in my throat watching him. The castle has mesh wire around the outer perimeter to stop trespassing. Eli defied all the rules, climbing up to the second floor of the ruin with more cracks in the exterior walls than Eli's sister's applied makeup.

After Eli came down, I felt relaxed, and the hike home was a gradual but slow one. Everyone was getting to know Ross. I guess the common questions were asked— the ones you'd ask someone you are trying to get to know. Like where are you from? How old are you? Which followed with what football team do you support? Football is a tremendous thing here in Ireland. If you put Man City fans and Liverpool fans in the same pub, it's only a matter of time before stools start getting hurled. I can only imagine the same rules would apply in England if I lived there.

Anyway, I think that's all I want to write about for tonight. I have a couple of things to do before I go to bed. I want to get them done so I don't have to do them tomorrow. That way, I can hang out with Ross if he wants to.

Night,

A really tired Adam

Copyright © 2023 D.K. Daniels; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 9
p style="text-align:center;"> Thanks for reading, if you liked the chapter, let me know what you thought. If you want to read uninterrupted, consider grabbing a copy.

Links to Amazon and Google via my website - www.dk-daniels.com 

Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I saw myself in a lot of things in this chapter like Ross being asleep at 11:00 AM that was me and often really later.

If you call him at, say, 7 AM for school, Carl crawls out of bed at 8:15 AM andsomehow manages to smoothly rush getting dressed and ramming his breakfast down his throat. Yep that was me also.

I have to give her hugs, she gives me money. Oh yeah that definitely me also😄 Since you wrote all this I guess that was you also

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 5/18/2023 at 7:45 PM, weinerdog said:

I saw myself in a lot of things in this chapter like Ross being asleep at 11:00 AM that was me and often really later.

If you call him at, say, 7 AM for school, Carl crawls out of bed at 8:15 AM andsomehow manages to smoothly rush getting dressed and ramming his breakfast down his throat. Yep that was me also.

I have to give her hugs, she gives me money. Oh yeah that definitely me also😄 Since you wrote all this I guess that was you also

Glad you can relate to Adams ramblings; I try to make the characters believable, and sometimes, real life situations serve as inspiration. Contrary to belief, I'm actually a punctual person, I turn up to meetings sooner than is need. When I was in school, around Adams age, I'd arrive 30-40 minutes prior to morning registration. And You could say I spelt like most teenagers until almost noon on the weekends, but now that I'm older, I rise at dawn, usually full of energy and my partner can never understand it. He says, "you're not human with the amount of energy you have at 6 am." Lastly, visiting my grandparents, I loved seeing them sure, but what kid doesn't appreciate money and candy lol.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 5/19/2023 at 8:31 AM, chris191070 said:

Beautiful chapter. It's great that Adam has Ross as a friend, who's excepted by the gang.

Thanks for commenting, and yeah, its nice that Ross is finding is place in the group. Having a place to belong is important, especially when you are miles from home.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..