Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
 

Even If We Tried – Kick-off Party:

To celebrate the release of my book, I'm hosting a live stream event on YouTube for folks to come and discuss my book so we can all reconnect about stories in general. I'd love it if folks stopped by. Everyone is welcome, and I'd love to see you there. It will be an informal chat, more like a coffee meeting, where we chill and talk about the release. I've decided to host it on April 3 at 8 PM (Irish Standard Time… aka GMT), so be sure to check the time difference. Links are below, so save the date.

 

Livestream link - click here.

https://youtube.com/live/eQbfI8vBSvc?feature=share

As They Say - (Revised) - 16. Entry 24

20th May 1991:

How do I say this? It's a little weird, indeed. I was kind of hoping the outdoor sleepover was going to take place. But Ross— oddly— did not want to stay with my friends and me. I have no idea what got into him; he entirely shot down the idea when I mentioned it this morning. We’d been playing a bit of footie, just passing the ball back and forth in his grandparent’s garden.

“Carl and I, we’re thinking of having a campout. Everyone will be there. Wanna come?”

Ross kicked the football hard, and I had to break away from my spot at the end of the driveway and go retrieve it.

Nah… kinda too cold for it,” Ross added.

It was sunny out, the temperature surpassing 20c. It’s not hot by some other European country’s standards, but it’s an average summer day in Ireland. I nudged the ball back to the driveway from the grass, then booted it back to Ross.

“Cold… Eh, are we in the same country,” I added, trying to be cheerful.

Ross ran for the ball; then side swiped it with a huff. The football came barrelling toward me. Though I didn’t expect Ross to erupt with annoyance, and this startled me.

“Look, I said I’m not into it… K…” Ross add.

I put my hands up, signalling defeat. However, I kept wondering where the spitefulness came from for the rest of the morning. It wasn’t the Ross I know. But eventually, we dropped it, and we got back to our day, pretending neither of us had the conversation.

I spent all of my time at lunch searching for a suitable site in the back garden, where we could have set up the tents to relax for Wednesday night. Not tomorrow, but the next day.

It's a pity, really. Why does Ross feel uncomfortable spending the night in a tent with a couple of lads? Evidently, if he really wanted, Ross could have swapped places with Carl and stayed with me. Carl surely wouldn't have minded giving up the spot beside me for the evening. Carl is that kind of person; he's free-spirited. Yeah, Carl may be a tad bit butthurt. Except, if there is one thing I've come to know about him, it is that Carl forgives quickly and moves on without making the whole thing a huge deal, which is possibly one of the best features about him. I think that's how both of us naturally stuck when we were younger. If there was a problem, a couple of punches thrown in his direction would result in us still on talking terms again the next day.

Though, of course, Ross is not Carl. I can't give him a couple of swings of my right hook, not that I'd wish to either. I don't like fighting when it does happen. Plus, I don't think I would be able to stomach hurting Ross; the thought is even sickening to contemplate.

Anyway, instead of hanging out with Ross, I decided to leave him be and avoided him for the sake of it. I felt a little weird afterwards. I don't think I could have hung out with the odd feeling present after I mentioned it. I thought Ross said to me that he was okay with it; maybe he didn't. Perhaps I'm merely paraphrasing; maybe I understood it all wrong and what Ross actually wanted.

Instead, I decided to go into town by myself. I thought the best thing to do was just take some time out for myself. I just sat and listened to some music on my Walkman in the gardens overlooking the church. Other than that, nothing else happened today.

Oh, but we did have such a beautiful sunset. God, it was something else.

Anyway, nothing else to report, night,

Adam

Copyright © 2023 D.K. Daniels; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 6
  • Haha 1
p style="text-align:center;"> Thanks for reading, if you liked the chapter, let me know what you thought. If you want to read uninterrupted, consider grabbing a copy.

Links to Amazon and Google via my website - www.dk-daniels.com 

Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Just a guess of course but I think Ross reaction has something to do with Carl being at the sleepover as an third wheel

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
On 11/8/2023 at 1:45 PM, weinerdog said:

Just a guess of course but I think Ross reaction has something to do with Carl being at the sleepover as an third wheel

As teenagers, don't we all just want to be alone with the people we have a crush on, and once its happens, its the biggest freak out session known to humankind.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..