Jump to content
    faust
  • Author
  • 1,031 Words
  • 603 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Perfect Dark:Dark Night - 1. Chapter 1

“The proximity mines have been set. Have you secured the Tachyon charges to the target?” the young brunette asked as she rounded on her partner, Jonathan. ‘Complete’ was his reply moments before they both fled to the appointed retrieval point followed by the symphony of exploding mayhem and inhuman screams.

They ran through the winding hallways of the Datadyne Corporation intent on regrouping with their fellow comrades Johan and Strauss. Appearing on the building’s rooftop they were forced to take cover when they were fired upon by the same soldiers who had helped them to gain access to the building.

Looking around for an opportunity to present itself, the brunette stood slowly, making sure to conceal her movements behind the large air conditioning unit before going into a full run toward the eastern side of the building gaining momentum with every step. As she reached the lighted edge of the roof she took a quick glance back over her shoulder and jumped into the darkness.

All motion on the roof stopped as ally and enemy alike tried to make sense of the apparent self termination they had just been witness to. As they began to focus on one another again a low rumbling split the night and the shrapnel from deflected gunfire decimated the soldiers. Landing on the roof with a grunt, the young brunette called out amateurs and turned to gather her team for extraction.

Seeing they were all gathered around her, she faced each separately and congratulated them on a job well done. As she turned to face her partner the solitary sound of a single gunshot rent the night and the blonde agent who had exited the hovercraft behind the brunette sank to the ground clutching her torso in pain.

Johan brought his firearm up and rounded quickly, before either could blink, and two small holes appeared in the center of the attacker’s armored jacket. Strauss fell to the ground slowly clutching his still smoking gun to his chest. As Johan rushed to the blonde’s side he glanced briefly at Jonathan before he turned back to the brunette, and in a pained voice finally called out for a medic.

DARKFALL
By: Faust

“I THOUGHT YOU SAID IT WAS JUST A TRAINING SIMULATION!”

As much as anyone could believe, the brunette’s unbelievably sweet voice was now hardened and dripping with enough venom that all feared for their life if she got any more angry.

“How is this possible!? It was a simple training mission! NO LIVE AMMUNITION! Was that not the directive that was given?”

Her hand inched slowly closer to the seemingly holographic Mauler which had been fired at her sister less than five minutes ago.

“I want to know how this gun made it into that training room. Prep her for emergency medical procedures there are two lives in jeopardy here and countless more if either dies!”

Grabbing the Mauler from the table beside her, the brunette stood and with a scathing look at the personnel who now watched her warily, she stormed from the war room diligently making her way to the brig. As she approached the steel blast doors and prepared for the biometric scan, she was accosted by one of the many Artificial Intelligence agents who roamed the hallways. Offering no reason for the interruption but attempting to follow her nonetheless, she eyed the aggressive AI dismissively and turned back to the scanner.

Waiting until she interacted with the brig security system, the A.I. slowly moved closer while unsheathing a hidden combat knife. Seeing the reflection of the uncovered knife in the steel doors, she turned and using the Mauler’s charged shot function put two bullets between the A.I.’s eyes causing its head to explode in a shower of circuitry. Cursing to herself about the level of incompetence surrounding her, she stalked into the brig to interrogate her sister’s attacker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Johan, chief security officer of the Carrington Institute reacted swiftly and somewhat violently when he recovered the decommissioned A.I. that had attempted to terminate one of the agents. Grumbling to himself about declaring a facility wide lockdown on A.I. agents, he retrieved the A.I.’s core and began to review its activity logs.

Praising himself for having the foresight to have a camspy follow every agent on recon duty, Johan began to replay the holographic recording taken. Watching the recording of the A.I.’s recon mission, Johan dropped the camspy and initiated an institute wide lockdown.

At the sound of the alarm he was greeted immediately by the brunette agent exiting the brig and as they ran to the war room he informed her of the information he had just received. Carrington Institute had a counter-operative agent who was working with Datadyne CEO Cassandra DeVries.

According to the information retrieved during the conversation the rogue agent was none other than the son of Johan and the brunette agent, a very useful though unknowing participant. Glancing around the table once, he finally looked to his wife, and quietly said Joanna, just as the doors opened with a resounding thud to show the suspect in question.

Five of the eight agents in attendance drew their weapons and trained them on the young man as he walked into the room. Seeing the reaction of the others, the young man’s steps faltered and he quickly dived backwards while seeking cover behind the bulletproof doors.

‘What is the meaning of this,’ he questioned and was immediately on high alert as the agents called for his immediate surrender sparing him death.

When asked why the only answer he was given was treason. Walking from behind the door with both hands raised, the young man looked slowly around the room, before rounding and grabbing one of the passing A.I.’s to use as a shield. Slowly backing away the young man questioned about the charge but was met with silence.

Making a vow to prove his innocence the young man spoke softly to his parents telling them he was innocent before tossing a grenade into the center of the room and fleeing. As he rounded the corner leading towards the stairs he heard Joanna, his mother call out for him. ‘Matthew.’

Copyright © 2011 faust; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..