Jump to content

Exes and Ohs

   (12 reviews)
Sub-genres: Drama, General Romance

Drake's family is a challenge, but they're not his only one on an unavoidable family weekend. One ex-boyfriend cancels at the last minute, and another ex-boyfriend fills in, just so Drake has company when he comes face to face with his original ex for the first time since their breakup. And oh yeah, there's a wedding.   

Are we ever truly rid of our pasts... the pain and fears they can leave us with?  Some hurdles don't just seem insurmountable... sometimes they really are.
Copyright © 2018 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (18 members)

  • Action Packed 3
  • Addictive/Pacing 16
  • Characters 18
  • Chills 1
  • Cliffhanger 4
  • Compelling 3
  • Feel-Good 3
  • Humor 1
  • Smoldering 10
  • Tearjerker 8
  • Unique 9
  • World Building 2

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

everett Weedin jr

   12 of 12 members found this review helpful 12 / 12 members

This is a remarkably satisfying story.  Headstall exercises all the virtues evident in Cards on the Table, this time in a more concentrated narrative and cast of characters.  The two main characters, Drake and Jimmy, complement each other fully in Headstall's characterizations of them, making a couple whose regard, concern, care, and love for each other is thoroughly developed.  Each is tested by his personality, past history, and the present narrative to which their differences contribute.  Though there is much affecting and tender affection between them, Headstall does not allow easy sentimentality.   Drake and Jimmy earn their mutual trust and faith in each other, which brings them through the stretches of desolation and frustrations that each must suffer.  And much of the narrative's unfurling occurs in the exquisitely composed conversations between them and with other characters.  Headstall's dialogue is pitch perfect.  The reader hears the protagonists realizing, working out their thoughts and feelings as they discover themselves and each other.

 

The other characters play important roles as well.  There are some very pleasing scenes of the bigoted and weak being told off.  This reader cheered.  And often during the story laughed out loud.  Oh, and there's a dog.  Every story is improved by the presence of a dog (or a horse, or even both).  I honestly cannot imagine any reader who would would not admire this story. 

Response from the author:

Hey, everett! I don't know why I never responded to this before now, but I definitely should have. It is a truly wonderful review, and I thank you for it. I am kind of at a loss for words, but I will say you are very kind with your praise. Cheers! Gary.

  • Like 6
  • Love 8
  • Haha 1
Link to review
JeffreyL

   11 of 11 members found this review helpful 11 / 11 members

 Drake has plans to go to a family wedding. When his ex-boyfriend  backs out at the last minute, a frIend from work agrees to pretend to be the ex. Headstall has created two great characters and an interesting supporting cast. His writing makes the dialogue and plot most enjoyable. Will Drake and Jimmy survive pretending to be a couple? I recommend you read this story and find out.

Response from the author:

Thank you, Jeffrey. I have been remiss in not responding to this review until now. Your recommendation and kind words are much appreciated. It remains a favorite story of mine to this day. Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 7
  • Love 8
Link to review
CheckeredPanda

   6 of 6 members found this review helpful 6 / 6 members

I loved the story. It's a gorgeous slice of romance that's very well written and beautifully thought out, with characters that are easy to identify with.

 

I definitively recommend you read this story if you're looking for some modern and heartwarming romance to read.

 

Response from the author:

Thanks so much, CheckeredPanda! I'm pleased you feel this way about Exes and Ohs, and took the time to leave a review. It is much appreciated... this story, and these characters, have a special place in my heart. Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 2
  • Love 5
Link to review
Cachondeo

· Edited by Cachondeo

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

What can I say about XX and OO?(sigh).

Sometimes a story can be entertaining and tender and moving...and it can strike near home as well; drama in our lives can simply stemme from lack of communication, fear, walls we build around us and it doesn’t take evil third parties or intriguing and convoluted plot twist to prevent us from achieving happiness...sometimes our inner demons are the scariest and hardest to slay. 

I loved this touching story because we all have a little bit of Drake in ourselves (and what a lovable broody lithe sh*t he is!) but with some luck and a whole lot of backbone we can also get to share our lives with our very own Jimmy.

Cheers Gary! You rule, my friend!💗

Response from the author:

OMG! This is wonderful, Cachondeo. The best thing I can hear, as a writer, is that a reader can relate, and see something of themselves in my characters and their stories. Thank you so much for taking the time to express such valid and welcomed thoughts. You rock too, my friend. Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 2
  • Love 5
Link to review
KayDeeMac

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

I know I'm late here but - I just finished binge reading this marvelous story.

Your ability to project human feelings and introspections are truly amazing.

Certainly one of my MOST favorite stories I have ever read. Thank you Gary!!!!

Response from the author:

This is wonderful! Thank you so much, KayDeeMac It's one of my favorite stories too. I loved these characters and I loved their journey. I hope others will give it the chance you did. You are very kind with your praise. Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to review
Guest034229

· Edited by Bard Simpson

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

What more can I add, given the outstanding nature of the existing reviews?

All I have to offer, is that Exes and Ohs was among the most powerfully challenging adult drama that I have read in recent years. At one point, I found myself in stasis for several days, while I mulled over the seriousness of the issues being adressed. I just couldnt read on until I had found my answers. That is how much it affected me.

It's deeply satisfying, lovable and challenging characters are caught in a intricate web of a story that covers both past and present.

If you are interested in romantic adult drama that will make you think, as much as feel, then look no further. 

Gary has delivered something of a Mona Lisa here and in more ways than one.

Response from the author:

I want to thank you, Bard, for letting me know how this story affected you. It is a truly wonderful review, and I hope it will help convince more people to give this story a read. I appreciate your very kind words... this story is special to me, and I'm glad it is to you too. Cheers... Gary.... 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to review
raven1

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Exes and Ohs is an appropriate title on many levels for this story.  Whether interpreted as ex-boyfriends and new discoveries, or simply hugs and kisses. Drake dreads facing the weekend, but a good friend and ex gives him courage by going with him. How Drake overcomes his own biases in order to discover real love is an enthralling journey.  You will find yourself on an emotional rollercoaster, but left with a beautiful feeling at the end.  Do yourself a favor and read this story.  

Response from the author:

Thanks, raven! This is definitely a rollercoaster for the emotions, and the reader reaction ran the gamut. The support for this story was incredible, and I am always happy when a new reader comes aboard. Exes and Ohs is most definitely a favorite of mine. Thanks again for the marvelous review. Cheers!

  • Love 2
Link to review
wenmale64

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Gary has a talent with making words mean so much more. This story takes you on a coaster ride like no other. The torment and agony are described so realistically that they make the reader suffer the feelings of the characters. The real life actions and reactions make this story real!  Read this and you will understand what a great author can create with words. Great work Gary!

Response from the author:

Thank you, kind sir! I absolutely love this review. You are very generous with your praise and I hope potential readers will take note and give this favored story a read. Cheers! Gary....

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to review
LD Stratton

· Edited by LD Stratton

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

I am once again amazed by Headstall's realistic writing. This was a scenario that could have actually happened and Gary kept it real and very personal as though we were eavesdropping on Drake and Jimmy.  Now to dig out that laurel, I know it's somewhere, and place it on my favorite author in GA."

I highly recommend searching by author and delving into his other stories.

 

Response from the author:

I love this review! Thank you very much, LD. So happy you found it realistic... that is wonderful praise, and I hope it will convince others to take the same journey. Cheers!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to review
belisima

   1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

I needed a feel good story today and I'm happy to say this one absolutely fit the bill. The characters are endearing and the situations real and the story is engaging.  It will be one of my 'go to' rereads.

Response from the author:

Thanks, belisima! Exes and Ohs is one of my go-to rereads too. Thanks for bringing me back to this story. I love these characters, and am proud they and their story make you feel good. The epilogue in particular was a tremendous amount of fun for me. Cheers, my friend. G.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to review
Sherye Story Reader

   1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

Wow! Now that was a fantastic story! You are a great writer who puts details in stories like we all are looking at the real lives of people. That is rare to see in some authors. You deserve more than 5 stars but that is all they will allow for me to give to you! Keep writing!

Response from the author:

Thanks, Sherye. Your words are very kind, and I appreciate them. I plan to continue writing as long as my brain and fingers work. How ever, I don't think I will ever get all the stories out of my head that take up so much space in there. Cheers! :) 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to review
Cane23

  

This is the first @Headstall story I have red. It made such a huge impression on me, and introduced me with the works of an exceptional and one of my favorite authors here at GA.

When I started reading this story, my expectations were completely different. I thought it is another sappy story in romantic comedy movie style (you know the plot – tom boy sister has to bring some boyfriend at her sister’s wedding to show him to the family, after many comical events and some drama they have HEA) because that was just what I needed after some heavy topics of bulling and abuse.  Well, that’s not what I got, I got something much better.

First of all, Drake is not bringing his ex to the wedding, he is bringing the replacement of the ex. And this man (Jimmy) is such a wonderful guy, not that he is just playing a role, he is actually helping Drake confront his family, confront his past and grow in to stronger and self-confident person. After some drama, Drake and Jimmy get their HEA but that’s all I will say. Read the story and enjoy

 

Response from the author:

Thanks, Cane! This is a wonderful testament to a story dear to my heart. It's a story I wanted to tell because I really understood the intricacies of the motivations here, and I suppose it could have become rom-comish if I let it, but it was too important a tale for me not to get right. I've read this story many times, but it is one that still feels fresh each time. Jimmy is one of those characters I couldn't help fall in love with, and I appreciate the kind words of praise, and thank you for recommending it to others. Cheers! G. 

  • Love 1
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..